S'thandwa Sam' (Completed)

By Thabisile_N_Dlamini

She's a passionate dancer who loves the life of performing arts. He's a talented singer who is in an awesome... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Welcome To Johannesburg
Chapter Two: Lover or Cheat?
Chapter Three: University of Witwatersrand
Chapter Four: First Day at Varsity
Chapter Five: So He Sings?
Chapter Six: Well, No Longer a Child
Chapter Seven: Cookham 32 Rocks Tembisa
Chapter Eight: Can't Allow This
Chapter Nine: Okay... I Miss Her
Chapter Ten: Beyoncรจ Knowles
Chapter Eleven: Dance Goddess
Chapter Twelve: Can Somebody Say "Disaster"?
Chapter Thirteen: I'm With Child
Chapter Fourteen: Disappointed
Chapter Fifteen: What Could Be The Matter?
Chapter Seventeen: Married Traditionally
Chapter Eighteen: First Real Date
Chapter Nineteen: Romance is in the Air
Chapter Twenty: Boy or Girl?
Chapter Twenty One: I'm In Love
Chapter Twenty Two: It Has Never Been A Game
Chapter Twenty Three: Can I Be Your Fairytale?
Chapter Twenty Four: We're Connected on a Deeper Level
Chapter Twenty Five: I Don't Remember
Chapter Twenty Six: Home
Chapter Twenty Seven: Thandolwethu
Chapter Twenty Eight: Totally Insane
Chapter Twenty Nine: Rot In Jail
Chapter Thirty: We're Family
Chapter Thirty One: Our Little Haven
Author's Note
Chapter Thirty Two: Cookham 32 Saxy and Afro Live Play
Chapter Thirty Three: Labour With Favour
Chapter Thirty Four: Our Lives Begin
Chapter Thirty Five: Hey Ya
Chapter Thirty Six: Ubani
Chapter Thirty Seven: I Don't Love Him
Chapter Thirty Eight: I Should Have Listened
Chapter Thirty Nine: Through It All
Chapter Forty: The Rise
Author's Note
Chapter Forty One: Boo
Epilogue: Here's to Cookham 32

Chapter Sixteen: Complications; Complications

538 43 0
By Thabisile_N_Dlamini

Author's Note: Here's the next chapter y'all. Vote... Share... Comment... Enjoy.

***

Chapter Sixteen: Complications; Complications

Thando's Point of View

The next morning, I woke up and my mom had made me a hearty breakfast, saying that she wanted her grandchild to be well nourished. I laughed at that. After breakfast, I watched her work and in the late afternoon, I got a call from Lindo. He had landed and was wondering if he should come to my house or what. I borrowed mom's car and drove to the airport.

When I saw him standing outside, he looked so handsome and I felt joy in my heart. Or was it my stomach? He saw my mom's car as I drove towards him. His face lit up when he saw me. He picked up his bag and got closer to the pavement. I stopped in front of him and he opened the door.

"You are so beautiful. What did you do?" He asked and I laughed.

"If only you knew. Want to grab a late lunch at Maxi's so that we can talk?" I asked and he nodded and we drove off.

"So what is it that you want to talk about?" He asked and I cleared my throat.

"How have you been?" I asked, he looked at me and frowned. I know this because I was looking at him from the corner of my eye.

"You keep avoiding this. Anyway, I've been missing you. How have you been?" He asked and I nodded. If you haven't noticed, I nod a lot. It's my way of processing what I want to say.

"I've been... Sick..." I replied.

"Sick? Is that why you are back?" He asked and I nodded. "But you don't look sick. If anything, you look very beautiful. You got that weird glow people talk about. I don't understand why you say you've been sick", he said. I parked the car outside the restaurant and took my wallet and cellphone. I looked at him.

"Let's go", I said and he frowned again. I used my thumbs to smooth out his frown lines. "Don't frown at me", I said and got out the car.

"Since when do you hide things from me?" He asked.

"Be patient, Thabede. I just want you to be seated and comfortable when I tell you what's going on", I said. I locked the car and he took my hand. I pulled my hand out of his and fiddled with my phone. He didn't protest. He just cleared his throat and followed me into the restaurant. We got a table and I ordered ice cream instead of a drink. He got a coke.

I hadn't said a word since we got inside the restaurant and Lindo was looking at me like something was wrong. I quietly looked at the menu and when the waitress came back, we gave her our orders. I ate my ice cream in silence and I could see Lindo getting more worried by the second. I cleared my throat and looked at him.

"Lindo, what I'm about to tell you isn't a trap. I didn't plan it, as you may know, and I don't want you to stick around if it doesn't suit your lifestyle", I began.

"What are you talking about?" He asked. I took deep breath in and released it slowly.

"I am twelve weeks pregnant", I said and he froze. Yep; it was official. I had lost my best friend to an unborn baby.

Lindo refused to move. The food arrived with him still looking like he was a deer caught in an oncoming vehicle's headlights. I looked at the waitress and asked her for another serving of ice cream. I let Lindo process what I had told him. If he had a reply, he would reply at his own time.

The waitress came back with my ice cream and looked at Lindo then at me.

"Is he okay?" She asked and I chuckled.

"He's in shock", I said and she nodded and walked away. "Lindo, I kind of need for you to say something, hey", I said. He looked at me and I smiled. He smiled back and then he stood up and turned my chair so that it was facing him. He knelt in front of me and looked at me.

"May I?" He asked, gesturing with his hands that he wanted to touch my stomach. I nodded and he placed his hands on it.

"What does this mean?" I asked softly.

"Well, we both know that I am unemployed; I'm a student like you. I know if you decide to keep the baby, it's going to be a serious sacrifice on your end. Whatever you decide to do though, I want you to know, I want you to keep him or her", he said.

"You're not going to leave me when the going gets tough?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I can't leave you. You know my life isn't the same without you. With or without this baby, I want you in my life. You're my best friend", he said and I nodded.

"It's going to be a lot different now, though Lindo", I said and he nodded.

"I know that, but you matter more to me than the difference that this baby has brought", he said.

"How sweet of you. By the way, my dad is so pissed. You need to get a gun", I told him and he laughed and went back to his seat.

"Well, yeah... That's expected. I will talk to him", he said. I raised my eyebrow in question. "What?" He asked.

"You're so dead", I said. We ate our meals in a low chatter. He asked about my short trip to Paris and I didn't mention meeting Beyoncé. I was going to upload the pictures of the two of us on Facebook to see the reaction of the people.

After eating, I got another ice cream bowl to go and then, we left. This time, I let him drive because I wanted to eat my ice cream before it melted.

"Lindo, I think you should tell your parents that I am pregnant. You can't go to my parents without them, otherwise, my dad is going to kill you for real", I said worriedly.

"Is he that pissed?" He asked and I nodded.

"He was so pissed that he shouted at me and you know they never shout at me", I said and he cleared his throat and rubbed his neck.

"Okay, that is bad", he said quietly. "I'll go tell them now", he said as he parked the car in my yard.

"Yeah, your parents are back now. You might have to come talk to my parents tomorrow since it's Saturday, unless of course my parents want to do it the old Zulu traditional way", I said and he nodded. He got out the car and came to open my door for me. "What's this?" I asked.

"Well, since you're carrying my child, I want to take care of you", he said and I laughed.

"I'm pregnant not retarded", I said. He helped me out the car. "And I am not heavily pregnant yet", I said and he took out his bag from the car.

"You have a serious problem. Do you ever shut up?" He asked jokingly and I playfully punched his arm.

"Shut up", I said.

"Let me go see my parents. I love you. See you tomorrow", he said and hugged me.

"You're still saying it", I said quietly.

"Saying what?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Never mind. Bye Ndo", I said as I walked away.

The next morning, my mom came running into my room while I was getting dressed. She looked to be both nervous and excited. Once she was in my room, she kept bouncing on the spot looking at me. I was starting to get a little freaked out by her behaviour, so I cleared my throat.

"Mom, you've been standing there for the last 10 minutes just looking like you want to go use the bathroom. Would you tell me what's going on?" I said and she silently clapped her hands.

"We have to go to the Thabede's and you need to get dressed in a respectful manner, you know... Long skirt, head shawl; all that traditional stuff and come meet us downstairs", she said excitedly. I looked at her and shook my head.

"I seriously worry about you mom", I said as I looked for something to wear. "Come help me look; don't just stand there", I said. She came over and helped me find something decent to wear.

"Let me go get you a head shawl. I'll be right back", she said and she left my room. She came back with the head shawl and then helped me put it on my head. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and almost laughed. I had never seen myself truly represent a well-mannered Zulu woman. I didn't recognize myself, but hey; if this is what was required, I'd do it.

My parents and I went over to Lindo's parents' house and they welcomed us. We entered the house and we sat down. My dad told them that we were there to report a pregnancy made by a member of the family. This whole process was interesting to me.

Lindo's mom called Lindo and then he was asked if he knows me and he said he does. After that, the parents negotiated the payments for the "damages" (so they call it). I heard some animals being mentioned and I wondered if they actually wanted the actual beast or were the Thabede's going to pay the fee that would normally be the cost of those animals.

After that, Lindo and I were excused. We walked to his backyard, where his sister was. She was a very beautiful lady. She had a huge Afro and beautiful eyes. She looked like the female version of Lindo.

"Sawubona makoti kaLindo (Hello Lindo's wife)" she said and I vehemently shook my head.

"Qha bo. Angiyena umakoti" (No way, I'm not a wife)" I protested and she just laughed at me.

"Leave her alone", Lindo said and I stuck my tongue out to her. She only laughed harder. We sat together chatting. Nkululeko, Lindo's eleven-year-old little brother, came from the house to give me a hug.

"You're finally usisi wami. I've been telling this guy you fit perfectly into this family", he said. Lindo rolled his eyes.

"Dude, you're eleven. Uyingane", he grumbled under his breath. I laughed.

"Thanks Nkule. I've always wanted a little brother", I said.

After the adults were done talking, we were invited back into the house. There was a prepared meal that we all shared as "one" family now, although to me, the Thabede's were already my family. We were chatting like everything was peachy. In actuality, everything was great. I was going to be a mom to the child of my best friend, whose family loves me. We left late at night and it was no hassle since we were next door neighbors. Lindo walked me home; we were trailing behind my parents.

"Thando, I am sorry about all the stupid things I have done in the past. I will no longer do things that will hurt you. I have not only the baby to think about, but the feelings of my best friend", he said, as we walked hand-in-hand.

"Lindo, what are you trying to say?" I asked. He looked nervous and rubbed his neck. Before he could continue, my dad interrupted him.

"Thando, it's late now. Get in the house", he said. I looked at Lindo apologetically.

"I am sorry. I will talk to you later", I said and hugged him before I left him.

I got into the house and went to bed. My dad walked in a few minutes after I had climbed into bed. He looked at me with a smile on his face. I frowned at him and he just continued to smile.

"Dad, I love you, but you're freaking me out right now. What's with the creepy Paedophile smile?" I asked and he burst out laughing. "I am glad you find me amusing", I joked and he calmed down.

"Thando, do you know why I named you Noluthando?" He asked and I shook my head. "Well, you are the symbol of the love between your mom and I. Because of you, I loved your mom even more", he said and I smiled. "You should see my grandson as a blessing. I am sorry for making you feel bad about being pregnant. I want you to know that I am supporting you all the way", he said and I frowned.

"Grandson?" I said. He was looking at me with a huge smile on his face.

"Yes, my grandson", he confirmed and I shook my head.

"Not when I want a girl", I joked, but in reality, I didn't mind what the sex of my baby would be. I just wanted to hold my baby in my arms, boy or girl.

"Not on my watch", he joked, I could see that he wanted me to have a boy. Bless your soul, daddy I thought. "Anyway, when will you go back to Gauteng?" He asked.

"Hha! Uyangixosha? (are you chasing me away?)" I joked and he laughed while shaking his head.

"Of course not. I was hoping you would stay here until your dance club members came back to South Africa", he said and I nodded.

"Okay; I will", I said. He kept looking at me like there was something else he wanted to say. "Dad, what else is on your mind? I can see something is bothering you", I said after a while.

"Well", he began then cleared his throat. "Are you and Lindo in a relationship?" He asked. There is it!

"He's my best friend. I don't think he views me like someone he would want to be in a relationship with", I said honestly. He shook his head at me. "Why are you shaking your head at me? Don't do that", I said and he laughed again.

"You don't see it, do you?" He asked and I frowned, not because I was processing what I wanted to say, but because I did not understand what was going on. "Why are you frowning at me? Don't do that" he mimicked me. It was supposed to make me laugh, but my frown deepened. "Okay, fine. I'll leave you alone to figure it out by yourself", he said.

"I wonder what you're talking about, dad", I said and he shook his head again with a smile on his face.

"I am going to sleep now. We are going to church tomorrow, right?" He said and I nodded.

"I haven't heard Lindo's father preach in months. I have missed it sorely", I said and he nodded. He stood up and patted my leg.

"I'll see you in the morning. Good night and I love you, Thando", he said and kissed my forehead.

"I love you too daddy. Sweet dreams", I said and he left my room. "Daddy!" I called out and he came back in.

"Hey, what's up?" He said looking at me expectantly.

"Please shut off the light", I said with a smile on my face. He shook his head and smiled even though he had tried to look angry.

"You should be glad that I love you", he said and I nodded. He chuckled and shook his head again. "Good night", he said.

"Night papa", I called out. My phone rang when my dad's footsteps disappeared. I didn't answer it; I just closed my eyes and tried drifting off to sleep. I heard a sound on my balcony and tried not to freak out.

What on earth?

***

Author's Note: Uh-oh! What's happening now? Who or what is on Thando's balcony? Check you next upload.

Love Thaby. ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.8K 706 59
"Goddamn it Ella, open your eyes, own up to what you're feeling. Look at the person who you are feeling this with and realize that I might actually b...
9K 480 41
"You want him. And he wants you. But so do I. But you're choosing him. You want him instead of me even though I have been with you through everything...
1M 49.1K 33
๐˜ฝ๐™ฎ ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ๐™š ๐™จ๐™š๐™ง๐™ž๐™š๐™จ ๐˜ฝ๐™Š๐™Š๐™† # 01 Get ready to immerse yourself in the enthralling world of "Ayesha," a story about a 19-year-old college gi...
1.9K 509 76
Genre: Boyband Member + Ordinary Girl = Long Distance Relationship + Drama Status: FINISHED Book #1 in the Never Series "I'm one of the world's most...