The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Nineteen

429K 2.8K 190
By LaurenJ22

--------------------------------

I felt something on my legs and I kicked out wildly, causing myself to fall. I landed with a thud on the ground, in a tangle of blankets. I flicked my hair hastily away from my face and frowned up at Mel, who sat on the lounge, removing the smothering blankets.

"Someone's touchy," she snickered.

I rolled my eyes and crawled back onto the lounge, resuming with my movie watching. Well, I'd technically been asleep, but before dozing off, that's what I was attempting to do.

"Oh no." she said slowly and dramatically, realising what was on the T.V. "You're watching Hairspray. Again. Don't you like, already know all the words?"

"Pretty much," I replied, pausing it. "Pulled it out for old times sake."

She just stared at me blankly, with those perfectly eyeliner eyes.

"Yeah, right. Are you coming to the party?" she asked. "Please, for me?"

"I can't believe you even had to ask," I said in an overly high-pitched voice, flicking my blonde hair over my shoulder and battering my eyelashes.

"Really?" Mel asked in surprise, her eyes widening.

"No." I answered bluntly, abruptly stopping the 'It girl' facade. "I'm not going."

She groaned, hitting me with a pillow I'd dropped on the ground. She pursed her lips at me in disappointment. "You have to! You're my wing man."

"No I don't and no I'm not. You always go to parties without me."

"Not until you came out of your shell and became the hottest nobody at the school."

I frowned. It was fine me calling myself a nobody, but I didn't appreciate others saying so. I guess that sounded lame, but it was how I felt. It was technically okay though, since it was my best friend who had said it. If it had been anyone else, I would have gotten a bit offended.

"Nobody?" I asked anyway.

She continued like I hadn't interrupted. "Come on, it'll be fun. We can get wasted."

"No thank you."

She frowned deeply at me, placing her hands on her hips. "Jason will be there."

"Which is exactly why I am not going. We're on a break. I don't want him to think I'm going there just for him." I then muttered, "He already thinks I'm clingy."

This break had been going for four days by the way. It was nearly killing me, not being with him. I know that sounds so cliché, but that's how I feel. I really missed him. Luckily, I had Charlie to keep me company. He seemed to like Hairspray too.

"Pfft," she said dismissively with a roll of her eyes. "That's not true. Come on, please."

"No." I said, grumpily.

"You're such a party pooper. Literally."

"Cool. Now you go have fun. Text me all about it. I'm going back to singing along with Zac Efron. Bye now."

"I don't want to go without you." She pouted.

"Don't go then. We'll have a hang sesh."

"I have to go. Everyone is expecting me there."

"Then go," I cried in exasperation. "You'll be fine without me."

"It's not me I'm worried about."

I sighed deeply through my nose. "Look, I'm fine, okay? Go have fun for me. I'd like to just stay at home tonight. Thanks for asking though."

She pulled me into a hug a one arm hug that concluded in my almost being strangled. "Okay. I'll text you. Love ya."

"Love you too."

She grinned before departing to say bye to Luke and Dad. I noticed she spent a little longer in Luke's room. I ignored the fact and played the movie, wrapping the blankets around myself to keep warm.

I was okay.

Yep, definitely okay.

----------------------

Mel's POV:

Luke was so hot. I couldn't help have a quick make-out session with him before leaving. He was just so tempting. I rushed home, and straight up into my room. I threw on a short, thin dress. My make-up and hair was already done. I was expecting to spend the rest of my time doing up Emma, but no, she ditched. Well, I sort of expected her to, really. She just wasn't okay at the moment.

I should have stayed with her, but it was a party. Come on, like I could miss it. I slipped on my heels and checked myself in the mirror.

I looked good.

Really good.

I grabbed my phone and lip gloss, slipping them in my carry bag, which so happened to match my dress perfectly.

"MUUUM," I called out loudly, slowly coming down the stairs. The heels were high you know. Need to be cautious. "Let's go!"

We pulled to a smooth stop, right at the entrance of the party. I could hear the music already. I beamed in approval. Just what I liked.

"I'll text you, either I'll crash at a friends, or I'll ring you. Bye, love ya."

I didn't muck around.

Well, did I ever?

I grabbed a drink and danced around. I was having a really good time, admittedly, Emma and her broodiness slipping from my mind. I threw another drink back, grinding with this hottie from Emma's school.

Yummy.

Not quite Luke though.

He wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me closer. "Hey, wanna get a room?"

"With you?" I responded flirtatiously. "Not a chance."

I smiled sweetly before disappearing through the crowd. I spotted him. He wasn't hard to miss. He was one of the hottest guys at this party.

Well, he always was.

He was drunk. I could tell. Jeremy was giving him worried glances as he downed another vodka shot. That slut Britney was all over him like a rash. I wanted to gag. I made an obvious disgusted face in her direction.

"Hey bitch," I snapped at her, when she came my way. "Back off Emma's boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend," she sneered, her annoyingly pretty hair, perfectly straightened. I hated that she was pretty. She had a good body too, unfortunately. She damn knew it as well. Her dress was so tiny, it made mine look like a gown. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Not quite," I sneered back, challengingly.

"By tonight, yes."

She pushed me out of the way. I tried to reef her back but I was pulled away.

"Let me go!" I cried out angrily, elbowing them. My arms were pinned to my side as I was dragged off the floor. I squirmed under the grip, trying to see who it was, but I was unsuccessful. I sat there, well, stood awkwardly more like it, and was forced to witness, first hand, what Britney meant.

Jason had collapsed on a chair, his head lolling back. An angry, drunk teenage boy, well, smoldering, sexy teenage boy was not good.

Slutty ex-girlfriend taking advantage, also not good. I stamped my heel on the guys foot, but he just slammed me against the wall, still shielding his face. I tried to get him to let go, but he wouldn't budge.

Britney straddled him, sitting on his lap. He seemed so out of it, that I wasn't even sure he realised she was there. She pulled his face to hers and well, to me it looked like she was sucking on his face, but maybe that's just how she kissed. She kissed his neck roughly. It angered me so much, I tried hit my attacker, but yet, I was still unsuccessful.

I tried yelling out, but no one heard me over the pulsing music and loud talking. I wanted to cry in frustration.

I was so mad!

Please Jason, I begged in my mind. Don't let her do this to you. To Emma!

He put an arm around her back, pulling her close.

I wanted to vomit.

On my attacker.

I couldn't take it anymore. I screamed at him.

"LET ME GO YOU SON OF A-"

I was let go so suddenly that I propelled onto the floor, my hands barely stopping me. I landed in a painful sprawl, my left wrist tingling in pain. I was slightly breathless from the sudden fall. I rolled over, gasping.

"Oh my God, are you okay, Mel?" some short, brunette asked, shocked. I had no idea who she was and stared up at her.

"Obviously not. Help me up."

She obeyed, studying me. "You okay?"

I shoved her away and stormed over to them. I pulled Britney off him, literally, by her stupid hair. Jason stared at me, in a daze. his eyes were ringed red and his lips were slightly parted. Woah, he was a goner.

He was so blind.

(Blind drunk, I mean).

I reefed him up by hist shirt, my eyes in slits as I glared at him. He began swaying, hardly able to stay on his own two feet. I raised my hand up and slapped him, hard, across the face. I heard a few gasps around me at what I had just done.

He staggered backwards, knocking over the chair. A few people looked over, watching curiously. The anger in me right now was just accumulating. I wanted to pick up the chair he just tripped over and smash it over his head. A couple of people walked over to enjoy the show.

Oh, now they noticed something was up.

"How could you?" I growled savagely, once he had recovered from tripping over backwards. Which, if this situation hadn't been so seriously, I would have peed my pants laughing.

"What?" He slurred, squinting, as if trying to place who I was. "What's happening?"

I could hardly blame him, other then the stupid amount of alcohol he'd consumed. I guess it wasn't his fault Britney was all over him, but still, he'd drunk this much. I know he was upset with what happened with Emma, but it was no excuse to attempt to get alcohol poisoning. Last thing he needed was his stomach pumped.

I shoved him backwards before marching out of the partying, pushing people away. I didn't care who I hit. I was too fueled up by anger to care. Anyone who got in my way was punished. I got a few angry cries but whatever.

I fished out my phone and dialed her number.

I had to.

She had a right to know what her boyfriend was doing. In the back of my mind, I'm glad she didn't come. Her heart would have broke seeing that. I rolled my lips into my mouth as the phone began to ring.

She answered on the second ring.

"Hey Mel, how's the party?" she asked.

"Oh God..." I trailed off, my voice breaking slightly.

"Mel?" she asked, worried. "What's happened?"

"I've got something really bad to tell you..."

----------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 14.4K 48
This story will become FREE on August 30th, 2023! When 17-year-old Arbor Hayes' best friend turns up alive after a mysterious six-month disappearanc...
143M 5.2M 88
She's With Me is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. Amel...
1.1K 62 33
"You're right. I'm sorry........ Let me make it up to you. How does dinner sound?" He ask charmingly. Is this guy being serious right now? Is he actu...
1.4M 32.1K 44
The Wattpad draft! Not the final version. I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Never had a one-night stand," "A one-night stand huh?" he smirked, "And what...