Jewel Of The Nile [COMPLETE]

By underestimated_queen

A fictional story based on true events that happened 3000 years ago in Ancient Egypt. Ankhesepaaten grew up i... More

Prologue
NOTE
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chaper Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
SNEAK PEEK - FORGOTTEN HEIR
FORGOTTEN HEIR - CHAPTER ONE
FORGOTTEN HEIR

Chapter Thirty

416 15 1
By underestimated_queen

My chest heaved up and down as my feet pounded against the freshly-cleaned tiles. Servants glanced at me, confused, as I ran past, but I cared not. My throat burned from running so far but I had to ignore it. Meritaten had taken to her chambers yet again, claiming she was ill. Rumour among the palace was that it was worse than she had let on. Some maids who had served her claimed that she was near death. If the rumours were true, I did not know, but I also did not intend to find out by sitting down and doing nothing, as Smenkhkre had taken to. He seemed to show no care in my sister's relentless illness, still firmly believing that she was faking it. I could not believe his ignorance. But I was not like him. I could not bear the thought of Meritaten dying. There was once six of us - six sisters. But now there was only two. And I could not bear being the only one left.

As I entered the antechamber, guards outside the Queen's bedchamber prevented me from entering. I leant against some furniture for a moment, trying to catch my breath. While my own chamber was merely down the corridor, I had actually been on the complete other side of the palace when I received the news. As soon as I could, I ran from there to here.

The two guards looked me up and down. My hair was whipped across my face and no doubt in a mess. I felt like I was on fire. I was not used to running.

"I....need...to see....my sister," I panted, wishing there was some cold water nearby that I could drink to calm my throat.

"Her Majesty The Queen wants no visitors," one of the guards replied with a stone face. 

"I have to see her!" I protested. "I order you to let me in!"

"Your orders cannot override the Queen's," said the guard. 

I let out a frustrated cry. "Well, tell her it is only me. Surely she would make an exception for her sister!"

"Queen Meritaten said no exceptions."

I paced around the antechamber, furious. My sister was ill! She was on the verge of death! How could they not allow me to see her?

"I have been told she is dying! I must see her!" I cried.

The guards looked at each other in amusement. One even chuckled. "The Queen is not dying, we can assure you that, My Princess."

"Well, how can I take your word for it if you do not allow me to even glance at her?" I muttered, crossing my arms. These men were evil! First they would not allow me to see her, and then they lie about my sister's conditions to my face? How could they?

I clearly would not be able to see her now. These guards were no help at all. Perhaps there was another way I could find out what was wrong with my sister? If I spoke to the maids who had served her...found out what the symptoms of her illness was, and then if I could relate these to the palace physician, perhaps he could tell me what he thought was wrong. That way, I would know whether or not Meritaten truly was in danger of dying. My mind could finally be at ease.

I left the Queen's antechamber without another word, leaving those smug guards to themselves. I knew they believed they had one, but they were wrong. They knew not of my plan. And once I got the physician's opinion on what her ailment was, I would return to Meritaten's chambers, and successfully visit her.

There was only one problem...I did not know where the slaves and servants stayed when they were not serving us. And how would I find the ones who did serve her? Perhaps Meritaten's personal maid...but how would I find her? I suppose there was more than one problem.

When my father was Pharaoh my parents kept us far from the servant's quarters. We never really questioned where they came from...they were just...there. 

I retreated to my chamber to think. I vaguely knew where the servant's quarters were, but there were so many servants. Hundreds, thousands even. Ones for cleaning, ones for the kitchen, ones for serving my family and our advisors directly, ones for the gardening, ones for the stables...the list went one. How could I possibly find a select few among a number that great?

I sighed and collapsed on my bed. I needed a good rest about now. To lie down and ease my poor legs that were still burning from the colossal sprint I had made a few minutes earlier.

Nebt appeared out of nowhere and bowed as she approached my bed. "I see you are exhausted, Princess Ankhesenpaaten. All that running around tires you out!"

I stared at her in disbelief. "How did you know about that?"

My maid laughed as she busied herself around my chambers. "Word spreads quickly around the palace, Princess. You of all people should know that. People saw you running through the halls. It was not as though you were quite about it."

An idea formed in my mind. "Nebt," I asked carefully. "Do you by any chance at all know the Queen's personal maid?"

Nebt looked at me, surprised. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh...I was just thinking that....that...I should become better aquatinted with those who serve my family. I just wanted to...to talk." Yes, that sounded almost believable.

She still looked confused, but agreed. "Well, in that case, yes I do know her. Her name is Ankhina, and she is a very good friend of mine."

"Do you know where I could find her?"

Nebt nodded. "Ankhina is still young so she still resides in the servant's quarters, under the supervision of Kuya, Head of Slaves and Servants."

"So would Ankhina be with this Kuya now?" I asked, my hopes rising ever so slightly.

Nebt frowned. "Yes, I believe she would be. Perhaps if you ask Kuya, she will get Ankhina for you. You shall find Kuya at the entrance to the servant's quarters, in her chambers. She cannot possibly say no to you, Princess."

I leapt off my bed. "Thank you, Nebt. I will return once I finish talking to your friend."

Nebt smiled, and bowed her head. "I am just glad to help you, my dear."

In a way, I felt bad for using Nebt, but surely no harm would come because of this? All I wanted was to find out what was wrong with my dear sister. That could not be a crime.

The servant's quarters were located at the very back of the palace; I knew that much. And I remembered that I once accompanied Meketaten down here when I was little. Perhaps I would instinctively know the way.

•••••••

After many wrong turns, and being helped out by many maids or servants themselves, I finally managed to find my way to the bedchamber of Lady Kuya. I had never heard her name before, and knew nothing of her - was kind and friendly to those she commanded? Or was she a harsh leader; freely punishing the servants at her wish?

I took a deep breath and knocked on the doors to her chamber. There were no guards to send me away; there was not even an antechamber. Just two small, wooden doors with a sign stating the occupant. Is this how all the people of non-royal status lived?

The wooden door on the left opened up, revealing a small, fat women dressed in a dirty dress with her brown hair tied back. Her face first registered anger, then confusion, and finally shock as she stumbled onto her knees, head bent down low. "My Princess."

I nodded and indicated for the poor lady to rise. "Lady Kuya, Head of Slaves and Servants, I have come to ask a favour."

Lady Kuya had fair skin, which was a rare sight in my country. However, it had been tainted by freckles and wrinkles signifying old age. Her face was round and chubby and her eyes seemed to sink back into her skull, although that may just have been me.

However, I was at least half a cubit taller than the women, and I must admit that I was enjoying the imposing feeling I was no doubt putting on to her.

"Ye - yes, of course, My Lady. Wh - what is it that you wish to ask?" Lady Kuya stammered, surely wondering why myself, of all people, would come to her to ask of something.

"I wish to speak to one of those under your command."

The women's face went from shock, to confusion, to anger, and then back to shock. "But why would you wish to speak to one of them?"

"That is none of your concern. I wish to speak to a girl by the name of Ankhina. She serves as the Queen's personal maid. I trust you can find her for me?" I replied, staring Lady Kuya straight in the eye.

"Um...yes, yes, of course. Allow me, um...wait in my chambers, Princess, and I shall go get this Ankhina you speak of," Lady Kuya decided, moving out of the way so I could enter. 

As soon as I stepped foot in her small, cluttered chamber she disappeared outside, slamming the door behind her. I had a moment of fright. What if this women meant me harm? What if she was coming back with a small army of people who wish to kill my family? What if she was a spy?

I sat down on a chair opposite an extremely messy desk and tried to calm my thoughts. If Lady Kuya truly did mean me harm, then the palace guards would find my body in her chambers when they went looking for me. It would not take them long to realise that I was missing if I failed to show up to my numerous duties.

Thankfully, I was disturbed by the wooden doors opening yet again, revealing Lady Kuya and another women who seemed to hide behind the Lady, overcome with fright. Perhaps she had gotten the wrong girl? If Ankhina truly did serve the Queen, then why would she be nervous about approaching me? I was nothing compared to Meritaten.

Lady Kuya bowed and stepped out of the way, revealing a skinny, dark-haired girl who appeared to be no more than my own age of sixteen years. She wore a beautiful turquoise dress with a golden trim, one that I myself might wear. Her skin was darker than Lady Kuya's, although not as tanned as mine. She was about the same height as me and had soft features that made her automatically have a kind appearance. Perhaps this girl was indeed the personal maid of Meritaten.

"Princess Ankhesenpaaten, may I present to you: Miss Ankhina, servant of Her Majesty the Queen of Egypt. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, you have been kind enough already," I replied.

Lady Kuya nodded. "I beg your pardon for asking, but is it possible if the two of you commune outside? I have things to do in here."

"Of course, Lady Kuya. I would not wish to trouble you." I smiled at the women and held the door open as Ankhina meekly stepped out of the small chamber.

"Your Highness, if I may suggest, perhaps we should not talk here, as the Lady Kuya has a tendency to eavesdrop," she said to me timidly, speaking for the first time. 

I smiled warmly at her and walked further up the corridor out of hearing range, taking Ankhina's advice. 

She followed me quietly and bowed her head when she approached me again. "You wished to speak to me, My Princess?"

I nodded. "Yes, I did. And there is no need to be so formal with me. You serve my sister, do you not? I am nothing compared to her. Please, call me Ankhesenpaaten."

Ankhina blushed. "Thank you, Princ - I mean, Ankhesenpaaten."

I smiled again and proceeded to get to the point. "Now, - Ankhina, is it not? - I am aware you are Meritaten's personal maid. I need to know what is happening with her. The guards will not let me in to see her. You are the only person with the slightest knowledge of what is happening. I have to know."

Ankhina giggled. "Oh, she will be fine, I can assure you that. She is definitely not dying, I can confirm that too. Those rumours are just rumours."

"Well, tell me what is wrong!"

"I apologise, Princess Ankhesenpaaten. I understand you are worried for your sister and concerned for her health but she is fine. As for what it is with her...it is not my secret to tell. If she has not decided to tell you yet, then that is up to her. But she will tell you - it is not something she can hide for much longer. She will, I know that," Ankhina explained, smiling ever so slightly at the end.

I sighed in frustration. "But I have worked so hard to find you just so I could know! I never come down here! I got lost so many times, and no doubt will on the way back. Please tell me. I will not tell anyone else."

"I don't doubt that you will, but it is not up to me to tell you. I will escort you back to your chambers so you do not get lost again and I will speak with the Queen but until she decides you will not know."

I failed to reply. What Ankhina was doing was very noble, yes, but I had to know! I had to know what was wrong.

••••••••

I plonked down on my bed in a very unladylike mannor, groaning. Nebt appeared again with a massive grin on her face. "Did you manage to speak to Ankhina?"

I rolled over and buried myself in a soft, fluffy pillow. "Yes, and she was no help."

Nebt chuckled and set about doing something near where my clothes were kept. "Ah, that sounds like my Ankhina."

I groaned again and buried myself deeper into bundle of pillows. I knew I should not have been complaining about myself when Meritaten was severely ill, but I was quite unamused with this maid. I was polite to her, friendly to her, and she still refused to give me the information I wished for! I was asking as a concerned sister, but no! She could not respect that.

That only left any other maids that had happened to see the Queen. But I knew that Meritaten was selective with who she would trust. Perhaps there were no other maids that helped serve her.

A hard knock on the door disturbed me from my thoughts. Nebt glanced at me as I pulled myself up and off the bed.

She walked forward and opened my doors. A messenger, by the looks, stood up straight, and bowed once he saw he. 

"Princess Ankhesenpaaten, your presence has been requested in the Grand Chamber. Queen Meritaten has a message that she would like to tell everyone. Your brothers have also been summoned. 

So Smenkhkre did not know my sister's big secret either...and she was finally letting us know. I suppose Ankhina kept her promise and did speak to the Queen. Perhaps I was wrong about her.

I made my way to Grand Chamber as asked, excited and a little nervous. What would Meritaten look like? Would she have to be carried in? Would she be as white as the clouds? Would her hair have fallen out? 

As I entered the chamber, I was surprised to see that I was actually wrong about my assumptions. Meritaten looked completely fine. A little pudgy, if anything, but that was to be expected as she had not left her chambers in days.

I was the first person other than her to arrive, which was to be expected.

The Queen smiled warmly at me. "Ankhesenpaaten! I heard you were trying to see me earlier today."

"Yes, but you clearly did not wish to see me," I teased as I walked up to her. Now that I got a closer look at her, my sister did seem paler, and more...tired. I did hope everything was alright.

Tutankhaten and Smenkhkre entered the Grand Chamber at the same time. Tutankhaten appeared more flustered than his brother but again, that was to be expected. Smenkhkre clearly did not care so much as whether Meritaten was healthy or not.

They were closely followed by Ay and Horemheb, along with an advisor I had not seen before. 

Meritaten cleared her throat. "Right, well, now that everyone is here...I am sure that you have all assumed - correctly - that I wish to speak to you about my so-called 'illness.' I am aware of the rumours; I do not need you to tell me. And I can tell you right now that they are all - every single one of them - are wrong. I am not dying, nor am I near it. In fact, what I am going through is not even as bad as they make out. It is not even uncommon. What I am going through is something that most women will get once or numerous times in their life, and what all women dream of getting."

Frowning, I exchanged a confused glanced with Tutankhaten. What was she talking about?

"This may make no sense," the Queen continued. "So I will clear it up for you. I am currently three months pregnant."

The room erupted into applause, even though there was only a few of us there. I could not believe it! My sister was pregnant! She was going to be a mother! I was going to be an aunt! How could I not be happy!

That was why I thought she looked a little pudgy when I first saw her...because her stomach was getting bigger. It was carrying a child!

Smenkhkre was speechless. His mouth formed words but no sound came out. Then he collapsed into a massive grin and hugged his wife. I had never seen him so happy. 

We all approached the Queen and gave her a kiss on the cheek, even the advisors present. It was a joyous day. 

The only person who seemed unhappy with the news was Tutankhaten. He hugged our sister and then promptly excused himself. I followed him, curious. Why would he not be happy? Why would the news of Meritaten being with child effect him so badly?

I ended up trailing behind my brother until he got to the pool room. He sat down on the edge of the water, his feet causing ripples.

I sat next to him. "Brother, what is wrong? What is so bad that you cannot be happy that Meritaten and Smenkhkre now have a child?"

He did not look at me. "I am happy for them."

"You certainly do not look it."

Tutankhaten did not reply. 

"Please tell me," I begged. "It is clearly bothering you."

My brother sighed. "Fine. You want to know what the issue is? What the problem with the Queen being pregnant is? I shall tell you. In fact, I am surprised you did not even realise this yourself!"

He was confusing me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, when the child is born it will become the heir. You and I are no longer next in line to the throne. This baby is."

Oh. I had not thought of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TADA!!! That was the big surprise! Meritaten is pregnant!

So who do you think is the father? Smenkhkre? Or someone else...(if you don't get the reference, look back on chapter twenty-four). Leave your answers in the comments!

Anyway, YAY! I uploaded this chapter less than 24 hours after chapter 29 was uploaded! I may even be able to put 31 up tomorrow! We'll see...

I hoped you guys liked this chapter, and weren't too let down by the 'surprise' XD!

Chapter 31 out at the latest by Tuesday, 11th April. I won't let you guys down, I promise!

Ok, that's all from me. See you in the next chapter! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 700 31
I told you I didn't kill her. "Don't lie to me Aaru . I have been informed that you pushed Mrinalini." He roared. 'Rajan' , I am telling you the trut...
4.2K 414 30
When news is brought back from the Egyptian borderlands that young King Tutankhamun was killed in battle against invaders, Queen Ankhesenamun is deva...
14.3K 1.6K 19
Hello guys so here I am again with a new story based on anidita , it's a different story and it's consept is taken from a Korean drama , it's not exa...
30.4K 1.7K 46
Finally, the armies of the Hittites have been subdued, but at a high cost to both sides. Egypt could not take back the fortress city of Kadesh, th...