The Best Thing For Me

By LaurenJ22

#1 Romance | #1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | Watty Awards winner for 2012 Romance Emma Ross is a hard-work... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty -- FINAL CHAPTER --

Chapter Ten

457K 4.7K 444
By LaurenJ22

-------------------------------

Dedication: NNM123 for being so supportive. Honestly, you're so awesome. Thanks for voting, commenting and sending me such inspiring personal messages. :)

Thanks again. <3

--------------------------------

My legs were tucked under me as I was curled up on the lounge. As the rain poured harder, I turned the volume up of the T.V. I dug my hand in my bowl of popcorn and munched happily. I thought I heard a knock, but I couldn't be sure of it. I heard it again. 

I got up, stretched and padded towards the door. It was locked, so I just assumed it was Mel. I swung it open and made some pedo face, expecting it to be her. I sucked my lips back and stuck my teeth out. I tucked my chin in pulling out one of the ugliest faces I could think of. I knew she'd be doing the same.

I gasped in shock.

It wasn't Mel. 

It was Jason. 

I stopped my face thing very quickly. My face flushed in embarrassment. God, what was I thinking? My mental rambling soom faded as I took in his appearance. He was rain soaked and bloody. He had a black eye and a swollen cheek. Blood ran down his chin and his shirt was stained. I gasped at the sigh of him and gulped.

"Crap." Was all that came out of my mouth. I opened the door wider and he took a step in. We stood there for a few moments, neither knowing what to do. 

"Uh... are you alright?" I managed to ask, surveying him once more, biting my lip. What a stupid question, of course he wasn't alright!

"No. Not really." he deadpanned.

I didn't know what else to say.  

"Want a shower? I'll pop your jeans in the dryer, and I'm sure I can find one of Luke's shirts to fit you." 

"That'd be nice." 

I grabbed his hand and he flinched. He didn't let go though. I shut the door and pulled him towards the shower. He pulled of his shirt. 

Oh my. 

No, Emma, don't be a creep. 

"Er- One or two towels?" I asked, trying to keep my eyes from his perfection.

"Just one." 

I went and retrieved one, (grabbing one of the best ones I could see, I didn't want him to think I was shabby) and handed it to him. I was trying my hardest to not let my eyes walk over his delicious body, but it was difficult.

"Jeans please." 

He passed them out from behind the door.

"Er- Do you want me to, um, how do I say this?" I fumbled nervously, staring at my feet to avoid his eyes. "Um, with your underwear, or boxers or whatever you wear, do you need those dried? I don't mind, I have to wash Luke's all the time. That probably sounds weird, what I mean is that I do the washing all the time and I live with two boys. If you feel uncomfortable, that's fine. I'd offer a pair of Luke's, but that'd also be weird..." 

He poked his head out, laughing in amusement. I could still see the pain in his eyes, but at least he was laughing.

"You're a funny one." 

He got his pair of boxers and slingshot them at me.  

"AH!" I squealed, dodging out of the way. I could hear his laughed as he turned on the water. I shook my head at him. He couldn't have just passed them, could he? I grumbled as I picked them up, (via the jeans, I didn't want to touch them. Boy cooties!) 

I chucked them in the dryer and played with the nozzles until they were adjusted correctly. I returned back out to the lounge room. I did a double take at the door, noticing that it wasn't completely shut. I quickly strode away from it.

I sunk into my comfortable lounge and resumed watching the Lion King. I had a major soft side for the movie. I hope he didn't think I was lame. But come on, who doesn't love this movie? It's amazing and was the highlight of my childhood.

I was up to intense part. Simba was coming back to challenge Scar, it was very hectic. Jason casually walked out of the shower, with just the towel hanging around his waist. I tried not to stare at him again. 

"Y-your clothes a-aren't ready yet..." I mumbled uncomfortably. I quickly paused, realising he didn't have any clothes to change into. "I'll go and steal a pair of Luke's jeans." 

I ran into his room and grabbed the first pair I saw. I threw them at him like he had done with the boxers and he stretched to catch it. 

My breath caught.  

No, Emma. Stop it. You're being a creep.

I looked away, and jumped on the lounge. 

He began to change into the clothes.

Right. There.

I kept my eyes completely glued on the screen, barely even risking blinking. I didn't want to make it awkward and obvious that I wasn't looking. But then again, if I did look, would he think I was weird? My body twitched.

Don't look. Don't look. 

"Where shall I hang the towel?" 

"Just on the spare rack in the bathroom." I replied, trying to remain casual.

After doing so, he came back and sat beside me.

Close. 

As in our shoulders were brushed against each other. I didn't move. I focused on maintaining my breathing as I attemped to act neutral. I rolled my tongue across my teeth. I can do this. I definitely can do this.

"Popcorn?" I offered, waving it under his nose.

"Yes please." 

I placed it on my lap, allowing him access to it. I still couldn't look at him, so I remained staring intently at the T.V.

"Do you like the Lion King?" I asked after a few moments of silence. I felt the need to say something and that was the first thing I could think of.

"It's alright." 

I nodded, biting my lip.

"So... What happened?" I probed rudely.

"Dad." 

"Oh..."

We both went quiet. I was watching the movie, but not really taking it in. I wanted to ask more, but I didn't want to pry. I wanted wise words to come to me to hlep him feel better, but my mind just came up blank.

I didn't want to be rude, but I couldn't help but ask, "Why did you come here? I'd assume you'd go to a friend's, or your sister's." 

He shrugged, making the popcorn move around. "I didn't want to be with my family. I don't really want my friends to know. I thought I could trust you, and I knew you were on your own, so..." 

"It was just easier to come here?" 

"Yeah. Hope that's alright." 

"Of course." I shrugged.

Silence lapsed and the only movement we really did was when one would reach for some popcorn. The movie finished and I got up, switching it off.

"Are you staying the night or...?" I trailed off.

"Only if you don't mind." 

"I don't," I replied quickly.

I ran my fingers through my hair, it was still wet from my own shower. I felt a bit embarrassed having just a singlet, mini shorts and high socks on. It was a bit skanky. My hair fell in little ripples down to my elbows. I retrieved his jeans and he changed. I chucked Luke's in the laundry. 

"Well I'm beat. Shall we head up?" 

"Sure." 

I scrubbed my teeth until I felt sure they were sparkling and flossed them. (Yeah, I was slightly OCD. I didn't have braces for twelve months to not look after them). 

"Where am I sleeping?" he asked me as we both entered my room. 

I crawled onto my bed and cocooned myself under the blankets, being awfully rude. I then realised I should have made a mattress up somewhere or got him some blankets. 

"Wherever you want." 

By saying that, he came and slipped in next to me. I raised my eyebrows in surprise. Okay, I had not been expecting that. My heart picked up speed. He wrapped himself up as well. We laid in silence for a few minutes. 

"Thanks for letting me stay." he murmured quietly, his breath fanning my face. I gulped, trying not to lean forward. My stomach went into complete circus mode then. I swallowed, forcing myself to inch backwards slightly.

"That's okay. Good night." 

I buried my face into my pillow and tossed my hair over my face, so he wouldn't get scared from my 'cute' sleeping expressions. He moved his arm around me and held me tight. I felt myself sag against him. It wasn't weird or anything. It was just nice. 

I rested my forehead on his chest, letting his warmth seep into me. I couldn't help smile as I was over whelmed with the bubble of happiness inside me.

----------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

566K 18.8K 90
A Malfoy? With a muggle-born? Y/N Malfoy had brought nothing but shame to her family name. But after finding out that she's a prophecy, her entire fu...
143M 5.2M 88
She's With Me is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. Amel...
115 56 29
COMPLETED. A beautiful Cali girl who lives her life with no regrets at all gives into her mother's decision to visit her aunt in Boston but is she re...
6.2K 264 12
Emma can't wait to get to college and leave all of her bitter high school memories behind. Especially the one who broke her heart and made the rest o...