Behind My Killer Heels [3] |...

By Kutlie

Megan Clarke knows how to work hard and play even harder. Ever so casual about it, she has shamelessly had he... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two (Part 1)
Chapter Two (Part 2)
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Author's Note and Sneak Peek
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Fifteen (Part 2)

1.3K 75 16
By Kutlie

Thirty minutes later I was sitting at a table with the President of the Harvard Writ Association as my father delivered his acceptance speech after she had him inducted into the Writ Hall of Fame.

I definitely wish my dad was here, he would've been so happy and so proud. But it was okay because I was here for my father even though I know my dad desperately wanted to be here but couldn't make it.

"And the biggest thanks goes out to my wonderful husband, in his absence, and my beautiful daughter." I smiled at him endearingly from my seat as I watched him make eye contact with me. "They probably both know that when they're not being my biggest fans, they're being my support because as everyone here would know, what's a law career without one, two or nineteen mental breakdowns?" the crowd chuckled.

My father smiled, pausing for a moment. "But honestly, all I've done has been to make them proud because they deserve to be proud after everything I've put them through. Megan, my dearest, I am forever grateful to you and your dad, I owe everything I have, everything I am to you both and I love you both so much, thank you." he said directly to me. I blew him a subtle kiss. "And thank you to the Harvard Writ Association for this incredible honour." he finished.

As he started to walk off the stage there was a roar of applause. It started softly but escalated incredibly to the point where people were on their feet, cheering.

Debra Willis, the president of the association, gave him a handshake and a hug as he descended from the stage. She then went to stand at the podium that my father just stood at to thank him and congratulate him once more. She then moved along with the program but I blocked her out as my father came to sit next to me.

"Dad, you did so well." I gushed as I leaned over my chair to hug him tightly.

"Thank you, baby." he replied. I noticed his fingers fiddling with the gold band on his hand. His wedding ring caught some light every now and then.

"He really wanted to be here." I informed him, knowing he wished my dad was here with us.

"I know, baby." he sighed softly. "I know."

The rest of the gala was rather boring for me considering the climax was my father's induction. The event was nearing the end as more champagne and wine circulated on trays while everyone mingled for the final time.

I wasn't really in the talking mood so I just stayed by the table as my father was bombarded with people congratulating him and telling him how epic and inspiring he was and what a legend he was...which is exactly what he needed...a bigger head.

I chuckled as I watched him bask in all the glory.

"So were you ever going to give my blazer back or..." Elijah sat down in the seat my father was sitting in before. I couldn't help but smile. His blazer was draped over the back of my chair. I shrugged casually.

"I don't know, hey, I'm sure I can get a tailor to make it a little smaller cause this jacket is pretty stylish hey." I teased.

"Of course it is." he exaggeratedly looked around and pulled his chair closer to me so he could lean in close and whisper. "It's Armani."

I giggled lightly. "Oh my...wow... that's pretty fancy."

"Yeah it is." he leaned back in his seat, looking pretty pleased with himself. "Maddie's pretty fancy and will spare no expense to look fancy."

"Maddie?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Madeline Edwards."

"Like your boss, Madeline Edwards?" I asked tilting my head to the side a bit. "Your boss bought you an Armani suit?"

"See when you put it like that-"

"It sounds like you've got yourself a sugar mama." I interrupted him. I saw him cringe a little.

"No, it's not like that, it's..." he paused.

"She wants to get into your pants, Elijah." I laughed. "You got the promotion to junior partner because you're a good lawyer, I assume. But you got that suit cause your managing partner wants to get into those Armani pants."

His face burned red. I giggled which then turned into a chuckle and then it turned into a full on laugh. Elijah finally took a moment only to realise that I was messing with him.

"Oh, you think you're funny, huh, Clarke?" he deadpanned but couldn't suppress the smile the broke out on his face.

I just laughed some more and he finally let out a little chuckle before rolling his gorgeous eyes. "Fine, that was a good one, I'll give you that."

"I'm a regular comedienne." I shrugged playfully. Elijah took a moment to just look at me. "What?"

"Nothing." he said. "I just really thought I'd never see you again." he admitted. There was a shift in the mood as it got more serious.

"I know...that was the plan." I told him.

"Well obviously your plan didn't work."

"I'm aware." I muttered.

"So what now?" he asked. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What do you mean 'What now'?"

"You know what I mean." he replied dryly. I sighed as we settled into a slightly tensed silence. I hadn't even noticed that my hand was resting on the table until Elijah's hand enveloped mine.

I retracted my hand much to his dismay. I busied my fingers with the necklace that hung from my neck. I trailed my index finger along the silver ring, trying to calm my thoughts.

"If you're trying to get me to go on a date with you or something you should remember that I don't date."

"And you haven't even told me why."

"Because I just don't." I tried very hard not to sound defensive but it came out awfully guarded. "Look, I just can't date."

"Yes, she can't, because I won't let her." my father's voice caused Elijah to jump out of his seat.

"Mr Clarke, sir." he stuttered. "Uhm..."

"Who are you and what is this I hear about dating?" my father didn't even try to not sound hostile at all.

"I..." Elijah sort of froze.

"Dad, cut it out." I rose to my feet and funny enough, even in my heels, both men towered over me. "This is Elijah, Elijah, this is my father Jason Clarke." I formally introduced them to each other.

"It's an honour to meet you, sir." Elijah said respectfully extending his hand. My father glared at his hand.

"Dad." I warned. My father shook Elijah's hand. I saw Elijah's expression falter a bit and I realised that my father was probably trying to break Elijah's hand with his vice grip. "Dad." I warned once more.

My father reluctantly released his hand. Elijah moved his fingers a bit, probably to check if everything was still functioning as it should be.

"Megan, we're going." My father said.

"Okay, I'll meet you at the car in five." I said, hinting that I wanted some privacy with Elijah. Well, as much privacy as we could get in the middle of a gala. My father looked like he didn't wanna go until I pouted and he sighed.

"I'm watching you, Elijah." my father offered Elijah one last glare before leaving. I shook my head.

"Sorry about him." I chuckled. "He's a bit-"

"Intense." Elijah interrupted me, rubbing his hand. I chuckled.

"Just a bit."

"So...is that why you can't date? Your dad?" he started.

"No." I chuckled. "He was just messing with you."

"So you come from a long line of comedians."

I laughed. "Oh, Elijah, you don't know the half of it."

"So why can't you..." I knew what he was going to ask so I shook my head mid-question and he just faded off.

I took his jacket from the back of the chair I was sitting on and I took my purse from the table. I then stepped as close as I could to him. I gave him his jacket and just draped it over his arm and he looked down at me.

Looking up into his eyes and trailing my own down the bridge of his nose to briefly rest on his lips. I looked back into his eyes. I had to resist every instinct I had to just grab his face and kiss him. I knew I would just be asking for something I wasn't ready for because I knew what potential feelings he could stir up.

I had to avoid attaching myself to Elijah because I had a vague idea of how much I could feel for him if I let myself and even that vague thought had me so scared.

"I'm so sorry, Elijah, but I cannot go on a date with you because I do not have it in me." my words were low, apologetic and very true.

"Megan-" he started. I put my hand on his cheek and he kept quiet. I felt his stubble beneath my palm and I avoided his eyes as he mirrored my actions, his hand caressing my cheek. "Why does this feel final?" he whispered.

"I'm sorry, Elijah."

As he leaned in, I was quick to step and briskly walk out of the hall. By the time I was outside my breathing was slightly laboured. I had to stop for a second to catch my breath and collect my thoughts.

My hand immediately went to my necklace, caressing the ring that hung from it.

I didn't know why I was so scared to go on one stupid date with him but at the same time I knew exactly why I couldn't bring myself to do it.

A/N Hello pancakes! Here's one more update, I hope you liked it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why Megan is freaking out at the idea of a date,specifically with Elijah?

Lemme know what your thoughts are, I always like to hear what you're thinking.

Oh, btw, I'm in college now, yaaaas!! It's super exciting yet super stressful at the same time but I'll update as much as I can.

Love ya

xoxo

K

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

678K 37.5K 33
*12/13/ 21- Rewrite in the works :)* In a corporate world, being career driven is a quality commendable by many. Yet, when you're a woman- that only...
576K 31.1K 98
All Kezia wanted was a baby,she didn't want a partner simply because of a rough break up.So when her best friend Amanda convinced her to have a one n...
910K 48.4K 53
When Jason and Darrelle make a bet involving Darrell's dating life, he thought it would be easy since women were usually his strong suit. What he did...
1.8K 518 27
Megan has never been good at facing problems so as soon as she buries her mother she runs off to Lynwood with her friend Zoe to find peace but then s...