Jewel Of The Nile [COMPLETE]

By underestimated_queen

A fictional story based on true events that happened 3000 years ago in Ancient Egypt. Ankhesepaaten grew up i... More

Prologue
NOTE
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chaper Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
SNEAK PEEK - FORGOTTEN HEIR
FORGOTTEN HEIR - CHAPTER ONE
FORGOTTEN HEIR

Chapter One

1.8K 51 6
By underestimated_queen

"Very beautiful, Your Highness, very beautiful indeed!" Nebt beamed as she slowly turned me around. "The Queen will be most satisfied!"

"Do you think?" I walked over to a small mirror in the corner of my bedchamber. Nebt was not incorrect; the dress did look beautiful. Pure white with a golden rim around the edges - the absolute symbol of wealth. Nebt walked over and placed a rich cerulean amulet around my bare neck. 

"There," she said. "Now you look perfect."

I turned around. "Do you think this will be good enough for the festival?" I asked.

"Of course! You will by far be the most beautiful princess there, my dear Ankhesenpaaten."

I blushed. I had to take everything Nebt said to me with a bit of consideration, even though I had known her my entire life. One cannot go around insulting the Pharaoh's daughter, even if it was the truth.

Nebt was my main maid, although I did not like calling her that. She had been with my family for many years - she was first employed to take care of my sister, Meritaten. When I was born, eight years later, she began caring for me, and has ever since. After over twenty years serving the Royal Family, she was more like an aunt or a grandmother to me. I hated calling her a mere servant, because she was so much more than that. She woke me up in the mornings, helped me get dressed, informed me of my duties for the day, and so much more. Without her, I would be lost.

The was a knock on the doors. I frowned, but nodded to Nebt as she looked at me quizzically. I sat down on the nearest thing I could and waited as Nebt opened the door and allowed whoever it was to deliver me their message. 

The Vizier, Ay, strode into my bedchamber with such confidence that the unknowing may have mistook him for the Pharaoh.

He walked up to where I was sitting, and, without bowing like he should of, began talking.
"Princess Ankhesenpaaten. Your mother, Queen Nefertiti, wishes to see you immediately. She did not inform me as to why, just that she wants you in her chambers now."

With that he left in a flourish, leaving the doors wide open, for me presumably. I looked at Nebt.

"I suppose it is best if you meet with the Queen right away, Ankhesenpaaten," she advised. I considered. While my mother was recognised nationally as an impossible beauty; a kind, loving, intelligent Queen who ruled by the Pharaoh's side, she had no patience for tardiness.

"I suppose you are correct. I will come back afterwards," I agreed. With that, I quickly followed Ay out of my bedchambers, making sure to close the doors behind me.

I walked up to the entrance of my mother's chambers to find my sister, Meketaten, already waiting. She was dressed the most beautiful I had seen her in a long time - she was wearing the Egyptian custom of the long, white dress with gold trim; similar to mine. Numerous gold and silver bracelets caked her wrists, many centred with precious jewels and gems. Meketaten's black hair was done into long strands, to match the headpiece all the Royal Women of Egypt that had gone before us had worn. Her eyes were outlined in Kohl eyeliner. She was wearing but one pendant - a pendant of Aten, the sun disc. She was truly living up to our mother's reputation as the most beautiful Queen the land had ever seen.

Some servants quickly came forth to usher us inside, where mother was waiting. She put Meketaten to shame, and they both knew it. As Meketaten hung her low upon viewing mother, I realised that perhaps she dressed like this to gain mother's approval.

Mother cast an icy glance before beckoning us to sit on her bed beside her. 

"Meketaten, Ankhesenpaaten, thank you for coming so soon. I have been meaning to talk to you both. Because of recent events, however, I have not had the time to. You see..." My attention shifted towards the window besides the bed, which overlooked the large courtyard. In the distance, you could see the city of Ankhetaten, and the temple my father had built for Aten. I heard yelling from below, only to at it was merely my brother, Tutankhaten, playing by himself. He would have enjoyed it, I think, if Smenkhkre joined him once every often, but of course, our older brother would never be seen playing with Tutankhaten, or any of us girls, for that fact. He and his wife, my sister Meritaten, would no doubt me by themselves, talking about matters only concerning them.

He was not my immediate brother - no, for his mother was not Her Royal Highness Great Wife Queen Nefertiti, equal ruler of all Egypt alongside my father, the great Pharaoh Akhenaten. Smenkhkre's mother was Kiya, my father's sister, and also Tutankhaten's mother.
I never really liked Smenkhkre. He had harsh eyes, like crocodiles in the Nile, the ones that slide over everyone and judge everything. He was always very cold and distant, but when he did address us, he called us his, 'Little People,' as though he was the Pharaoh, and that we were nobody but peasants. He was always mean. I didn't think he would make a good Pharaoh. But our father disagreed. He was fooled by Smenkhkre, and thought the kingdom would be in good hands with Smenkhkre as pharaoh. I prayed to Aten that I would never have to experience that.
But worst of all, ever since my sister married our half-brother and started spending more time with him, she turned into him. Meritaten had used to be the kindest, sweetest person I knew, and then she changed. Meritaten may have been twenty-two and I only fourteen, but I could not be in a room with her for more than five minutes without wanting to tear out my hair. And I knew that Meketaten felt the same. All because of Smenkhkre.

I continued watching Tutankhaten from the window. Ahset, his caretaker, watched him with a smile on her face from a nearby bench. His mother was my father's sister, but she died a few years back. My father then assigned Ahset to look after my brother - and my two younger sisters, too - but mainly him. They had their mother, but he did not.

My mother and father had five daughters, but Meritaten, Meketaten and myself were the eldest. We were the ones in the artworks of my family - in tombs, temples, even around the palace walls. We would be the ones to attend most public functions. Often, Smenkhkre and Tutankhaten would accompany us, but more often Smenkhkre. He was, after all, the heir.
My younger sisters, Neferneferuaten Tasherit and Neferneferure were often left alone; they were not as important as us.

There used to be six girls, but a few years ago, Neferneferure's twin. Setepenre, passed away sadly. The mourning period lasted almost two months.

I was so lost in my thoughts, I didn't realise that I had missed most of mother's speech.
"...because you two are so young, yet you are living in an age where age doesn't seem to matter. When I was fifteen, I was already married! You are very lucky to be princesses, and the daughters of the two founders of Egypt's new religion, that will last as long as Egypt itself. I have faith that the two of you will achieve great things." Meketaten was nodding her head, so I thought it best if I do the same. Mother laughed. "Ok, you two. You may both leave. Meketaten, I believe Ahmose wishes to see you before we leave. Ankhesenpaaten, I do not care what you do. Now go."

Meketaten quickly bowed and sped out of her chambers, with myself close behind. She went in the direction of the schoolrooms, but soon stopped. "Sister, where will you be going?" she asked.

"Hmm, I am not entirely sure. Perhaps I will visit the temple, or wander the markets. I have not been there in a millennium, and you know how I relish in visiting the city."

Meketaten looked worried. "Be careful, sister. You know about the riots that have been occurring of late. Please, put my mind at rest and go with a guard, if you must. I know how stubborn you can be."

I sighed. "I shall not promise that, but I will promise that I will be careful. Do not fret, sister. I shall be fine," I said. I smiled at Meketaten and headed for the palace walls.

"Open the gates," I commanded to the guards on duty. They glanced at each other. 

"Where are you going, Ankhesenpaaten?" asked the one closet to me. "Has anyone given you permission to leave the palace walls?"

I held my head high and tried to act every bit Princess Ankhesenpaaten, third daughter of Akhenaten, the Great Pharaoh of Egypt, of Aten, and of Ankhetaten.

"I am going to the temple," I replied haughtily. "I sincerely doubt that my father would restrict me from worshipping his beloved Aten in His own temple, as father was the one who had it built and declare the all the Royal Family have access at any given time!" 

The guard bowed his head. "I apologise, Your Highness. But should you be wandering the streets yourself? The city is quite large, and you could get lost. Would you like for me to call some guards to accompany you?"

"That is not necessary. I know my way quite well to the temple, and I have been told that the people love us, so they would not harm me. Thank you for your concern. Now please, open the gates and let me through."

The two guards again looked at each other in concern. "I'm sorry, Princess Ankhesenpaaten, but we cannot allow you to leave without someone escorting you. Please wait while I find someone who can go with you." And with that he left, leaving me tapping my foot impatiently, furious at his impertinence. What was the point in asking me if I wanted an escort and then getting one for me despite my answer?

Eventually, the guard returned with a small squadron of soldiers, led by a man named Horemheb, whom my father had made Commander of the Army. What was he doing here? Should he not be leading exercises and training the army? 

The guard I had spoken to earlier marched up to me. "These soldiers will accompany you to the temple. Do not go anywhere without them. They will protect you. Do you approve?"
I nodded. "Thank you. May I please go now?"

The guard quickly opened the gate and I sped out, the soldiers hot on my heels. I turned around impatiently. "You are not required to be so close to me! I am not running away!"

The leader, Horemheb, bowed. "My lady, we will try to keep our distance, but you cannot stray too far from us. We are here to protect you."

"Fine." I turned back around and kept walking in the direction of the temple. It would usually be a long walk, khets away, but Iwas marching so fast that I arrived in record time. I faced the soldiers once more at the entrance of the complex.

 "Wait for me out here. I wish to be alone with Aten. I will return shortly." And without further ado, without giving anyone a chance to interrupt or disagree, I calmly walked towards the entrance. I bowed as I went through the doorway, passed all the offering tables - which were, as usual, piled high with bread, meat, wine, barley and other foods - as I made my way to the worshipping sector of the massive temple. I passed many beautiful decorations. My father had recently replaced the sphinxes around the walls. I also had to pass many statues of myself and my family, as by my father's orders. Like the rest of the complex, the worshipping area had no roof, nor any images depicting the Aten. Instead, we worshipped him directly; as the sun disc shone down on us in the temple. I was in one of the many small chapel-like rooms that father had originally built for Tutanhkaten's mother, but when she died my older sisters and I took ownership of them. 

I bowed and looked at the sun. "O great Aten, I am here today to worship and ask for your guidance..." I quite liked worshipping in the temple alone. With my family, mother and father would play the harp, while my sisters and I would play the sistra. Our parents would say the hymns and prayers. We would do nothing. Alone, however, I could be with my God in silence and pray to the Aten myself. It was a rare treat.

I prayed for nothing in particular. I just needed time away from the palace to clear my head. By the time I had finished, I was almost calmed down completely. 

Horemheb nodded to me when I reached the exit. "Is there anywhere else you would like to visit?"

I shook my head. "No. I wish to return to the palace."

"A wise decision," Horemheb agreed. "It is not safe for a young princess to be out and alone in the city."

I was starting to get tired and did not want to argue with him, so I simply nodded and began walking.

The Royal family made a trip to the temple every week, so I knew the way well. We had never missed a visit, unless it was extremely important - someone was ill; we had a public appearance; a festival. However, what I did not know was that in the months to come, we would be visiting the temple less and less. At the time I would not know why, but I would soon realise the situation we had been in for some time, and that it was worse than I could ever have imagined.
Around us, the bustling city was alive. Over to the right I could hear carts and people shouting. I imagined the life of one of the commoners. Were they at the markets, choosing some fine bread from a wealthy family bartering for a better price? Or was there a child, on their way home from playing with their friends on the banks of the Nile? Every one of them had a different lifestyle to me. I could not imagine what their life was like, nor could they do the same for me. Who was in a better position? It was a debatable predicament. As a peasant, they may have been poor, living in a small, dusty house surviving on scraps of food but happy and content. In the palace, you might be the most powerful man in the world, but be at constant threat. We always had to be careful in the palace. My father was always paranoid that someone would try to murder us, or injure us in some way. As a Royal, we may have lived in luxury but we were under constant threat. As one of the people, they may not have lived in the same conditions as us but they were happy and at peace.

Before I knew it, we reached the palace gates. The two guards who had let me out were still at their posts, and looked relieved when they saw me marching up.

"Princess Ankhesenpaaten!" Thank goodness you are back safely! It would have been terrible if you did not return," exclaimed the guard whom I had corresponded with earlier.

I quickly realised that if I had gone by myself and something bad actually had happened, the first people to be punished would have been these guards. They would have been blamed. The Pharaoh and Queen would have them tortured, at the very least, and it would've been all my fault.

I hung my head low. "Thank you for allowing me to visit the temple and for organising the soldiers to accompany me."

The guard chuckled. "A change in heart, I see?"

"Indeed," I smiled.

"Well, I suppose now you are back it is my duty to inform you that your brother was looking for you, not long after you left. That poor boy." The guard shook his head. "The youngest out of all the children. It would be easier for everyone if he had been born after you, Ankhesenpaaten. With only two sons, the Pharaoh becomes paranoid easily. Smenkhkre is getting old too. If they both die, Tutankhaten will be Pharaoh and he is so young! What has this country come to?"

I thought carefully. "I do not think," I said slowly. "That father need worry so soon. He still has many years in him, so by that time, if Smenkhkre is too old, Tutankhaten will not be too young."

"Well, it has been said that the Pharaoh's health is not as it used to be. But you hold onto that hope, and I am sure the rest of the city will do the same. But nobody really knows. Only the gods can tell what will happen next. Who knows what kind of pharaoh your brothers will be? Perhaps they will abandon this barren city and this godforsaken religion and revive the old gods. Give us the freedom of worship again. Allow the people to enter temples. Egypt has deteriorated in wealth, food, and people ever since the Pharaoh dedicated his new religion to the one god. Why is that, you may ask? Because the gods are unhappy. There are storms brewing more and more often. The wrath of Shu continues. The ongoing attacks and military losses? Horus does not protect us anymore. If this continues, Egypt will be overrun by our enemies and we will be lost forever." His face suddenly paled as he realised what he had said, and to whom he had said it.

"For - forgive me, my Princess. I - I apologise for my blasphemous words. I beseech you not to tell the Pharaoh; he would eat my sinful heart for breakfast.

I glanced around the courtyard. The soldiers and Horemheb were long gone. It was just the two guards and I, and the other guard seemed to agree on what this guard had to say.

"You need not apologise," I replied. "For stating your beliefs. If you cannot commit to the true way of Aten, and the new responsibilities and beliefs He brings with Him, neither my father nor myself can change your mind. But in public - especially in the palace - you must be very careful with your choice of words. I will not tell my father - who would not eat your heart out - about our discussion, for your safety, but from now on, be very wary."

The guard bowed. "Thank you ever so much, Princess Ankhesenpaaten. I owe you my life."

I waved it away. "You owe me nothing. I enjoy talking freely with you."

The guard smiled. "I suppose you, too, must be careful of what you say."

"More than you could ever imagine," I agreed. "If I feel tired one day and do not wish to attend worship, and I ask my father if I can stay here, he will take it as a sign of disloyalty and accuse me of straying from Aten. If anyone in the palace - other than him, and his top advisors, of course - even suggest the idea of Smenkhkre becoming Pharaoh soon he will take it as a threat and spend the next month with increased guard over us all, and many other unnecessary precautions," I explained. 

The guard nodded. "I know exactly what you are referring to. On many occasions the Pharaoh has requested that I be in his personal guard and has assigned me to stations around the palace and on abroad trips. We don't sleep for two nights, and cannot take our eyes off the Pharaoh. We must always triple-check a room he his about to enter to ensure there are no foes anywhere near. It becomes tiring at times, but we must do what we must do."

I was about to say something else, when a messenger ran up to the guard  in a hurry.

"Forgive me for interrupting, but this is urgent. Sete, the Pharaoh has personally requested you to join his hunting party as part of the Royal Guard. You must protect the Pharaoh, his Queen, and four of the Princesses."

I stood up straight. "Oh, are we going hunting? Leaving now? Why did nobody send for me? Have my essentials been packed or do I have to get somebody to do that now?" I asked the messenger. I loved hunting expeditions. Of course, the women never actually did anything other than sitting down and watching, but it was a rare change from the palace. I loved the excitement, and watching father succeed over and over again with a bow and arrow. Afterwards, we would have a lavish feast, and occasionally stay overnight at a small residence nearby. 

The messenger shifted uncomfortably. "Forgive me, Your Highness. I told Sete that only four princesses are attending. The one who is not is you. Your father did not see it fit to include you in this trip. I do not know why. However, you will not be alone. The two princes will be staying at the palace too."

I flicked my jet-black hair out of my eyes. Not included? Why not? Did I do something to upset my father? I remembered what my mother said to Meketaten when she was talking to us earlier - Meketaten, I believe Ahmose wishes to see you before we leave. So mother and Meketaten knew about the hunting trip...and I didn't. 

I briefly considered finding my father to demand why, but arguing with the Pharaoh - even if I was his daughter - would be treason. 

It was not as though he was mean and nasty to us - quite the opposite, in fact. Whenever he was around, he would compliment his daughters, and on occasions even play with my younger sisters. It was just sometimes, he did things many people could not understand. But I suppose, when you are a leader of a civilisation as advanced as Egypt, your attention must be focused on things other than your daughters.

"Very well then," I addressed the messenger. "You've delivered your message; there is no reason you should need to stay here. Go."

The messenger bowed, then scurried off. I gave a short smile to Sete. "Farewell, Sete. I must now attempt to find my brother, and you must escort my parents and sisters on their hunting expedition. However, I do enjoy talking to you. Perhaps we can talk some other time?"

Sete bowed. "All you have to do is command it, Princess!"

I gave another quick smile. Then I turned around and left to find Tutankhaten.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

339 22 9
Two modern girls, in a modern world. Seperated by continents, yet united under the same sky, created by the same creator, watching the same moon and...
3.3K 133 6
It's a fictional story of 1920s. Anirudh is a 19 year's old London returned barrister. He has a dream in his eyes. He want his country (India) to pro...
6.1K 725 31
I told you I didn't kill her. "Don't lie to me Aaru . I have been informed that you pushed Mrinalini." He roared. 'Rajan' , I am telling you the trut...
30.5K 1.7K 46
Finally, the armies of the Hittites have been subdued, but at a high cost to both sides. Egypt could not take back the fortress city of Kadesh, th...