The Mechanic

By rainvictus

Jade has always been the responsible and dependable one. Kind, sweet, caring and selfless. She will do anythi... More

The Mechanic
Prolugue
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
PLAYLIST!!!
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
FORTY SIX

THIRTY THREE

7.4K 244 82
By rainvictus

three updates 'cause why not? :)
Enjoy. :D

Dirk sat next to me. "We need to talk," he said as soon as he settled in his chair.

I glanced up at him, still spreading jam to my loaf of bread. "About what?" 

His expression went more serious. "Is it true that you're with Harry now? I thought you're dating Zayn?"

Oh, Jesus. I just woke up and my brother was already annoying me.

"You just returned last night and the first thing you did was to check the latest gossips?" I asked irritably before biting my sandwich.

"You didn't answer my question, sis. And no, I didn't research for that piece of gossip. I learned about it from Melody," he explained, his eyes not leaving my face.

"So your girlfriend loves to talk about other people's business, huh?" I scoffed bitterly.

"You and Harry were a hot topic in this town after Liam's party," he pointed out. "Yes, I also know what went down in that party. Melody told me about it, too."

I sucked in a deep breath. I knew that people were talking behind my back these past few days. And it all started because of that bitch Carly. She was really offended by the fact that Harry ditched her that night because of me, and she could not stop bitching about it. What pissed me the most was her version of the story. She basically told everyone that Zayn and I were already official but I was screwing Harry behind his back, even exaggerated it and said that I broke the two men's friendship. Best part? People actually bought it. The story spread like a forest fire around the town, and next thing I heard were the irrelevant opinions of irrelevant people. I never actually heard them, but Marty and Leslie told me about it.

I pinned my brother with my glare. "Melody needs to shut her damn mouth," I blurted sourly.

I thought Dirk would be angry with what I said, but he just sighed quietly. "She's friends with Sam and Carly. What do you expect?"

"Whatever. I'm sick of people talking about me. They need a fucking life," I grumbled, pushing away my plate of fried eggs. I already lost my appetite.

Dirk pulled the plate towards him. "I wasn't really surprised, to be honest. I actually thought you're dating Harry. I mean, friends don't French kiss," he uttered as he sliced the eggs.

"What did you say?" I asked, shocked and confused.

"I saw the two of you outside the carnival. Back in Nashville. You guys were in the car while you were eating out each other's faces," he said with a frown, then started to eat the eggs.

I gaped in silence, my jaw frozen. Oh, God. Did he see something else?

He stared at my face and shook his head slowly, his lips curled into a small smirk. "Don't worry, that's all I saw. You two drove away after and I went back inside the carnival to finish my shift. You can stop blushing now."

I closed my mouth and regained my composure. "Piss off," I mumbled, avoiding his stare. I grabbed my coffee and took a sip of it.

"I don't like Harry for you," he muttered slowly.

"I thought you like him? You can't shut up about how good he is with cars."

"I do. But not for you. He already slept with lots of girls in this place. Did you know that he slept with Sam too?"

"He didn't sleep with her," I said sternly. "It was Niall, Harry's friend," I corrected him, my patience wearing thin. Harry told me the truth behind that controversial picture from Sam's instagram post. Sam kept in touch with Niall when the boy left the town, and she decided to visit him in New York. She went to the penthouse and Harry was there, but nothing happened between the two of them. According to Harry, Niall and Sam were goofing around the couch and they just pulled him to take a picture. Another interesting fact; Niall and Sam were both high that time.

Dirk snickered. "I bet Harry told you that, huh? And you actually believed him? You believed that he never touched Sam?" he asked, his tone sarcastic.

"And you're buying everything that Sam says? You're the one who told me that she's the biggest bitch in your school, Dirk. And now you're suddenly kissing her ass?"

"I am not kissing her ass," he exhaled roughly. "We aren't even friends. Melody is in her squad but I'm not friends with Sam."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You're dating a senior who's basically under the wing of a bitchy queen bee. I won't be surprised if Melody will end up like Sam. You deserve better, Dirk."

"I'm the one who should be saying that, Jade. Seriously, I'm worried for you."

"There's nothing to worry about. I really appreciate the concern, but I can handle myself, alright? I know what I'm doing, and Harry is a good person," I said in a gentle manner, then gave him a smile.

He released a deep breath. "If Harry hurts you, I'll cut his hair and strangle him with it."

I laughed and tousled his hair, making him frown. "I'll tell him that."

"Good," he smirked. He stood up and placed the empty plates on the sink. "I thought you're going to the beach today with Harry? Where is he?"

My face dropped. "He can't make it. He canceled his flight last night because he needs to work today," I shared, sadness and worry eating me alive again. Everything was already planned, he agreed to go with me today but there was a sudden "emergency". I didn't ask much, but he sounded really pissed last night when we talked. He said something about Louis fucking up a deal or whatsoever and he had to fix it.

I really, really, really hate Louis.

"But you're still going with your friends, right?"

I nodded my head in response.

"Thank God," Dirk exhaled, patting my shoulder. "I thought you'll stay in bed all day, curl in a ball and eat ice cream," he chuckled. He grabbed his bag on the kitchen counter. "I'll go ahead."

"Where are you going?"

"Your squad isn't the only one who's hitting the beach today. See you around!" he said excitedly, then headed outside.

I finished my breakfast and started to get ready. My friends would pick me up any minute now.

After nearly fifteen minutes, Alex's Ford Expedition was honking loudly in front of our house. I quickly wore my shades, grabbed my bag and locked the door.

"Morning, Jay!" Marty chirped from the passenger seat while removing his huge pink sunglasses. "Ready to hit the road?"

"I guess," I smiled. The back seat's door slid open and I almost turned to a stone when I saw the people inside.

Zayn turned his head to me for a bit. I didn't see his reaction because, like me, he was also wearing a pair of dark aviators. Thank God for that. Eye contact would be very awkward right now.

Leslie cleared her throat. "Get in, Jay," she told me, giving me an encouraging smile.

I felt betrayed. No one told me that Zayn would go with us. I was aware that Liam would go, but not Zayn.

I took a deep breath and climbed inside the vehicle. Liam and Leslie were sitting on the second row. If I would sit next to them, I would be a third-wheel for three hours.

So I joined Zayn at the third row. He was beside the window, wearing a black muscle tank and shorts. His eyes were fixed outside while huge headphones were covering his ears.

"Are you okay there, Jay?" Marty asked.

I rolled my eyes, very grateful that my shades were dark enough for this day. I bit my tongue to control my sarcastic response. Okay? Was he seriously asking me if I was okay sitting next to the person who obviously wasn't pleased to see me?

"I'm fine," I murmured as I settled in my seat. Between me and Zayn, you could literally fit two or three people. I didn't want to annoy him so I stayed on the other end of the seat, my head leaned against the window.

Alex started to drive. Loud music filled the car, along with Marty's falsettos as he tried to hit Demi Lovato's notes in Cool for the Summer. Everyone was jamming, except Zayn who was still staring outside the windows.

And me, who was pretending to be busy with my phone. I sent multiple texts to Harry but I didn't get any response.

They opened the windows. The warm air blew through my hair, while my friends' loud singing voices were practically catching the attention of other drivers.

I decided to text Marty.

What the actual eff? Why didn't you tell me that Zayn is coming????? Explain or I'll jump out of the car.

I gazed at Marty. He quickly pulled his phone from his bag and read my text.

His reply came fast.

I'm sorry! I didn't know too! Liam told us already that Zayn will be out today to deliver some paintings but the client canceled. So he went with us.

I sighed quietly. Well, you could've just informed me before stopping by at my house. So I could pretend that I'm sick or something.

I hit send. I saw Marty shaking his head, his eyes still on his phone.

Listen, Jay. I know this is very awkward. I'm really sorry. But I guess this is the perfect time for you to patch things up. You and Zayn used to be friends, remember? You cant avoid him your whole life. Go and talk to him.

I shoved my phone back in my pocket. None of them would ever understand how fucking awkward this situation was. No one.

"Jay," Leslie called, her face in front of me. "Pizza?" she asked, handing me a box. I didn't notice that they were already eating.

I took the box. "Thanks," I murmured, placing the pizza between me and Zayn. I gently poked his waist with the box to get his attention. He glanced at me, removing his headphones. "Pizza," I told him, offering him the food, and he just nodded while I grabbed a slice.

Zayn took one, too. We both ate in silence while our four friends were singing their hearts out with Ariana Grande.

The whole ride, I ate quietly and took a nap. Leslie just woke me up when we reached the cottage.

When I stepped out of the vehicle, all the negativity were washed away from my system. The scent of the beach would always bring a smile to my face. The sky and waters were perfectly blue, glimmering before my eyes. There were some people around the shore already but it still wasn't crowded.

The cottages were just near the beach. Ours was simple and Caribbean-inspired. It was a pretty bungalow with white walls and wooden furniture.

"This place has three rooms," Marty said when we all went inside. "I booked this coz I thought there would be three couples in the trip," he explained, looking at me. "But Harry didn't go so uhm-

"I can sleep in the living room," Zayn butted in. "Couch is big enough for me. Jade can stay in the room."

"Are you sure?" Leslie asked. "All the girls could stay in one room and you could share with Liam and Alex."

Zayn shook his head. "Nah. I know you guys wanted to spend the night with your partners. I'm fine on the couch, really," he smiled. He sounded sincere.

"Alright," Marty said, eyeing me. I knew I should say something, maybe a thank you, but I remained quiet.

We all chose to take a rest first. I went to my room, eager to lie down. I checked my phone, expecting a text from Harry but there was none. I tried to call him but it went straight to voicemail.

I sighed deeply. I was getting worried. Was he that busy or something already happened?

A knock surfaced from the door. "Jay, let's go to the beach. I can't wait to tan!" Leslie said excitedly.

I got up from bed. "I'll follow you guys later, I'll just change."

"Okay. Be quick!"

I dragged my ass out of bed and changed into a bikini. After making sure I was well-coated with sunblock, I went out and joined my friends who already secured a nice spot at the beach. The guys were playing volleyball with the other men, while Marts and Les were just lying on the sand.

"You and Zayn should quit the silent treatment, Jay," Marty spoke out as I lay down. "It's so awkward to watch."

"I second that," Leslie chimed in.

I exhaled roughly. "Or maybe I should just head home so you could all have a good time."

"Oh come on," Marty whined. "You're being too dramatic."

"I'm not," I disagreed. "I'm just really uncomfortable, okay? Zayn obviously hates me."

"He doesn't hate you," Leslie said. "Hate is such a strong word."

"I'm literally the last person he wanted to see," I breathed out.

Marty sat up and removed his shades, then looked down at me. "I beg to differ. The ball almost smashed on his face when you went out, Jay. He was mesmerized. He's still head over heels with you."

"Am I supposed to feel better because of that?" I uttered. "Just please stop forcing me to talk to him. I'm not ready and I don't know what to say."

"Fine. Enjoy the most awkward weekend getaway, then. And be grateful that Harry wasn't around, or the tension would be unimaginable."

I kinda agree with that. It would be much awkward. Zayn was really angry at Harry, so angry that he removed all of his shots from the gallery and even blocked him in Facebook. It was petty, but I couldn't blame him. He really saw Harry as a friend.

"Why did Harry cancel by the way?" Leslie asked me while taking pictures of the sky.

"He's got some work to do."

"Is he going to stay in New York for good?"

"Yeah. His job is there."

"What job?"

"He uh...he owns an automotive shop," I simply replied.

"Sounds nice," Leslie nodded. "Jay, be careful, okay? I'm not actually comfortable that you're dating Harry. He's known as a player."

"He's a good man," I told her. "Thanks for the concern," I added, though I was feeling a bit annoyed. I've been hearing the exact thing over and over from people around me and frankly, I was already tired of it. Sometimes I couldn't point out if they were really concerned or they were just trying to stick their nose in my business.

Our chat got interrupted when Liam, Alex, and Zayn approached us. The ball game was over and I didn't even notice.

Zayn sat behind Liam, smiling but not even trying to look at me. I guessed he just decided to act like I was invisible or something. Well, alright. I could play that game, too. Way easier than talking to him. And I wasn't bitter about it, I could completely understand his behavior.

"They invited us to a party tonight," Liam said, stroking Leslie's hair.

"Who?" Marty asked.

"The guys we played with," Alex answered. "They said there's a party at the club nearby."

Marty's face stretched into a big smile. "Oh, yeah I almost forgot. That club always throws parties. We went there last year, right Jay?"

"Yeah," I nodded. We actually go there every year. It was the most popular club on the beach and it's just a few walks away from the cottages.

Alex turned to me. "By the way Jade. They are asking for your name," he grinned, then nodded to the direction where some boys were huddled. They looked like college boys. The red- haired one smiled at me, but I didn't smile back.

"Jade is clearly not interested," Marty chuckled.

"Of course she's not. She's crazy over Harry," Leslie giggled. Liam looked at her and she suddenly stopped laughing, then bit her lip. Odd silence floated in the air. She nervously glanced at Zayn who was staring at nowhere.

Jesus. Best beach trip EVER.

"I'm getting hungry," Zayn proclaimed, standing up. "Liam, let's prepare the lunch, yeah? We have to grill some chicken right?"

"Y-yeah," Liam quickly agreed. He gave Leslie a kiss before rising from his spot.

"I'll help," Alex volunteered. The three went back inside the cottage, leaving us.

Marty hit Leslie's arm. "Be careful with your words, you fucking bitch."

"Aw! I'm sorry, okay?" Leslie whimpered.

I sighed deeply and stood up. "I'll just walk around," I told them, wishing I was in New York, beside the man I wanted to be with.

****
"Is that Dirk?" Leslie asked me after nudging me hard. She pointed to the stage.

I narrowed my eyes. Oh geez. What was my brother doing? When did he join a band and became a drummer?

"I didn't know he's in a band!" Leslie exclaimed, her loud voice sounding normal because of the noisy crowd. The club was loaded and electric, and people were singing along as Dirk's band played some punk rock.

"I wasn't aware either!" I blurted out. I never had a clue about his band. Yes, I knew he loved to play the drums but I didn't know he joined a band.

"He's pretty good!" Leslie said.

I agreed with her. Dirk looked unstoppable on stage. He was really feeling it.

Liam pulled Leslie's hands. "Let's dance," he said, and they both disappeared from my sight.

I was left alone at the table, which I didn't really mind. I drank my beer, focusing on the beat of the music. A boy suddenly appeared in front of me.

I remembered him. He was the guy with red hair who played volleyball with my friends this morning. The one who smiled at me.

"Why are you alone?" he asked with a smile. Up close, he looked cuter. Hazel eyes and perfect teeth.

But he seemed cocky. Too confident.

"I'm not. My friends are just dancing."

"Wanna dance with me?"

"I'm not really in the mood for it."

"I can put you in the mood," he smiled. That kind of smile you should never trust.

"I have to leave," I told him politely, thinking about going to the restroom to avoid him.

I gasped in shock when he grabbed my wrist. "Playing hard to get now, aren't we?"

I tried to pull away from his grip but he was holding my wrist really tight. "Let go of my hand you bastard," I cried out, but his fingers buried deeper to my skin.

A hand grabbed his shoulder and it caught his attention.

Zayn.

"You're hurting my date, man," he said in a hard tone, giving him a threatening look.

"Oh," the red-haired bastard uttered as he released my wrist. "I'm so sorry, dude. Thought she was alone," he chuckled, like he didn't do anything wrong. He left right away.

I exhaled in relief and touched my slightly burning wrist. I didn't realize how frightened I was. My knees were shaking a little and I felt cold.

"Are you alright?" Zayn asked.

I just nodded. "I think I'll go back to the cottage."

"I'll walk you there. It's not safe for you to wander alone," he muttered, already guiding me out.

I nodded again and we both left the crowded place. I would just text my friends later that I already left. I wasn't really in the mood for a party and that random guy just ruined my night more.

The beach was more peaceful at night. When we were completely away from the club, all I could hear was the sound of waves.

Zayn was walking beside me, but he was a few feet away from me. His head was down and he kept on staring at the ground.

"Uhm, Zayn," I spoke, glancing at him. "Thanks for what you did earlier."

He shoved his both hands into his shorts' pockets and shrugged. "It's nothing. Sorry if I said that you're my date. He won't leave you alone if I won't say that."

"I know. Don't apologize. I'm the one who should be doing that," I sighed, then stopped walking. "I'm really sorry, Zayn. For all the shit I did to you," I uttered as my fingers nervously gripped the edge of my dress.

He stopped in his tracks. "Jade, let's just forget about the past, alright?" he said in his gentle voice, his eyes warm. I think this was the first time today that he looked at me in the eye. "To be honest with you, the tension and silence between us were killing me. It's not my thing, you know, the cold treatment. It's so hard for me."

"Sorry. I thought you needed some space and didn't want to talk to me," I murmured.

He sighed and rubbed his cheek. "Stop apologizing, Jade. I'm the one who handled everything in a very immature way. I should've handled this whole situation as an adult but I didn't. I know I've been an ass when I talked to you in your house. And a douchebag today for treating you like you're invisible. I'm really sorry if I behaved like a fucking petty teenager," he chortled, shaking his head slowly.

"It's fine. I understand why you did that, really."

"Let's just start over with a clean slate, yeah?" he smiled, then stretched his hand towards me. "Friends?"

I shook his hand and smiled back. "Friends."

He beamed and released my hand. We both continued to walk, the warm breeze washing away the tension and awkwardness between us.

"Dirk was so sick up there by the way," Zayn chuckled. "He plays like a pro."

"That's true. It was my first time to see him play the drums. I didn't even know that he's in a band!"

He looked at me, disbelief crossing in his face. "You didn't know?"

"Literally have no idea. Well, I know that he's interested in playing drums. He sees Dave Grohl like a god or something, you know."

He erupted to a laugh and the action made his eyes crinkle. "Can't blame him. Grohl is one of the best drummers around. I already knew that he's in a band. They always rehearsed at our apartment's rooftop after school."

"Really?"

"Yup. Their bassist lives next to me. They can be very loud sometimes honestly," he laughed. "But they're cool. Your brother is a cool kid."

"Cool, huh? He'll be so pleased to hear that," I chortled.

"He asked me one day about my nose piercing," he said, touching his nose stud. "I think he's interested. He asked me if it's painful."

"He did? Oh, God. I don't think he would get one. He's scared of needles. Like super scared. He hates getting shots since we're kids."

"You just exposed your brother. You're a mean sister," he said in between his giggles.

We both shared a laugh. I was surprised to see our cottage near us, I didn't realize that we already reached the place.

Zayn stopped in front of the cottage. "I don't remember leaving the lights on," he frowned, staring at the cottage's window.

"Maybe Marty and Alex went home already?" I said. Those two disappeared like smoke in the bar.

He shrugged. "I guess."

We headed to the door and Zayn used his key, but it wasn't locked. He frowned again but opened it anyway, then we went inside.

Both of us were surprised to see who was waiting in the living room.

"Hi," Harry smiled at me, but his eyes turned a bit dark when his sight landed to Zayn.

Was it just me or the air got thicker?

Harry returned his eyes to me. "Come here, angel. Give me a kiss."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213 16 11
Jade Jones has been trying to escape her past all her life. What happens when she finds herself trapped in an Escape Room alongside strangers and rul...
11.8K 282 19
Ashley is a 17 year old that just moved to London. Then she met Harry and the other boys. Harry falls in love with her and he makes mistakes causing...
47.8K 385 91
Yo! This can either be dirty or clean so if you have any fantisies you want to be written please send in your requests! ^^ love you!
73.9K 520 30
Lacey's life is a disaster. Her dad is abusive, and her mom left when Lacey was two. Now, she is taking care of Elena, her little sister. While takin...