The Stars Are Blind ★ Nick Jo...

By Liz_Vega

After being forced to leave his family behind, Nick feels little to nothing and shows even less of his emotio... More

Prologue
Meet The Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Final Chapter

Chapter 17

1.4K 38 21
By Liz_Vega

Chapter 17

Nick's POV

Carlos said he had a surprise for me, but when I heard my brother's voice from the other side of the line my heart almost stopped. Literally.

I lifted my gaze and this one found Liz's eyes; she was watching me curiously, but there was a hint of fear in their depth as well. I pushed the thought aside, ignoring the slight distraction.

"Joe?" I asked, in disbelief.

"No, Brad Pitt. Of course it's Joe" my brother replied sarcastically. I could hear a smile on his voice and a grin grew on my lips. I felt my chest swell and a laugh forced its way out of my lips. Yes, I actually laughed.

"Oh.My.God. He laughed? Is the world coming to an end? It must be. Nick Jonas laughing, at his brother's super lame attempt at being funny?" I laughed some more at my brother's theatricals. 

I didn't reply. I didn't even know what to say! I was in shock mostly. 

"Nick, how are you doing?" his voice turned serious from one second to the other, and my smile faded at the change of topics.

"I'm alright" I answered slowly.

"Are you really, bro? I don't want to ruin this whole thing but mom misses you, we all miss you.... I miss you" I bit my lip at his statement. I found Liz's eyes again. "Could you give me a sec?" I whispered. She nodded hesitantly before turning on her heels and walking out of my room. Once she was gone I sighed and sat down at the edge of my bed.

"I miss you guys too" I replied. There was a moment of silence before my brother spoke again.

"I tried.... I tried to get Carlos to take me to you, but he said no. Said it was too dangerous for both you and me" I smiled at his confession.

"He's right, Joe. You think I want to be here, without all of you? I have wanted to take a plane back ever since I got here. But I am not risking any of you getting hurt because of me. You're my family, the people I love the most in this world. I will never put you guys in harm's way".

"Please tell me it isn't that bad wherever you are?" Joe pleaded.

"It isn't that bad. Carlos and his daughter have been very... welcoming" I finished awkwardly. Technically Liz and I had a rough start but we're dealing with that so it's better not to mention it.

"Oh yeah, Carlos told me he had a daughter. Is she hot?" Joe asked cheekily. I laughed.

"C'mon Nick, is she hot or not?" he asked again. He was clearly enjoying this part of our conversation. He enjoyed anything that made me uncomfortable, but he's my older brother, it's kind of his "job". 

I hesitated a moment. "Is Carlos there with you?" I questioned.

"No, he left the room to let me talk to you in peace. Stop stalling and spill it" Joe demanded.

I sighed, a smile forming at my lips. 

"She's sort of attractive" I mumbled. 

"How attractive?" Joe urged. I rolled my eyes.

"Very" I added forcefully.

"How much is very?" he pushed, I could tell he was faking annoyance.

"Dude, very attractive. She's beautiful, and she's smart and she has this fiery temper that just pulls me in and makes me push her buttons and I enjoy every second of it" I closed my mouth, shocked. Did I just say that outloud? I believe I did...

I heard Joe's laugh through the line and closed my eyes. I was not gonna live this one down. 

"Nick Jonas has a crush everybody, I repeat, Nick Jonas has a crush" he yelled.

"Joe, shut up. Her father could hear you!" I tried to shush him, but he was laughing too hard to pay any attention to me.

"When you were here, you were single for a very long time. You go to who knows where and you get yourself a girlfriend in a matter of weeks? Way to go, tiger" I rolled my eyes at his words. 

 "She's not my girlfriend" I muttered.

"Why? Why not? Get on that, brotha" I smiled. Joe had a way of making everything that came out of his mouth funny, even when he was serious. 

"I'm working on it, brotha" I replied mockingly. 

"Good. Don't want you getting lonely" Joe said.

If you only knew, dear brother... that's all I feel when I'm alone at night and can't sleep. I didn't say that outloud though, I didn't want him to get worried. If he believed I was doing well enough, he would stop causing trouble for Witness Protection, like he has been doing, according to what Carlos told me. 

"So how is the family?" I asked, changing the subject.

Liz's POV

For some stupid reason, when Nick asked me to "give him a sec" so that he could talk to his brother, I felt... hurt. It was extremely stupid of me, I know. I was just- I don't even know what I was expecting or thinking really. But for some reason I felt like crying. This happened sometimes, I get overly sensitive and take everything personal, even when in my brain, I know it has nothing to do with me. 

I looked at my surroundings. The low-lit park looked compelling to me. It was empty of visitors of course, it was a little after four in the morning. I walked towards a wooden bench that laid below a rusty old park lamp. 

I sat there and closed my eyes. I was literally fighting tears, and I felt pathetic. After about ten minutes, I felt a body sitting next to me. I was only slightly scared of who it could be. I had gotten training at Witness Protection Program, I just haven't used it in a real life situation. I'm sure it's nothing alike in real life. 

"What's going on?" I heard a familiar voice and relaxed.

"Oh my God, Blake. I was debating on how I should kick your ass. I'm glad it's you though" I said, letting out a breath. 

"You wish you could kick my ass" I laughed at his joking tone still not looking at him.

"So, Nick called me from your phone. Apparently your father called to surprise him by letting him talk to his brother. He asked you for some privacy and once he was done, he went to give you your phone back and you weren't anywhere in the house. He was so afraid something could happen to you that he called me. I told him I knew where to find you and that he shouldn't worry, because you know how to take care of yourself" I listened in silence while he talked. 

"That was nice of you" I commented nonchalantly.

For a moment, Blake didn't say anything, but then I heard his heavy sigh.

I finally looked beside me at him. He was wearing a grey beanie and black jacket and clothes. 

"What's going on? Why are you upset?" he asked, reading me like a book. I bit my lip, not knowing how to reply. He leaned his head back a little bit to look at me better and waited.

I stared at him. Blake. My best friend. My only real friend. I loved this guy just as much as I loved my dad. If I ever lost him I would never be the same again, I knew that much. 

"So?" he inquired.

I scooted closer to him.

"Would you just hold me for a bit?" I asked softly. His expression softened even more-- if that was even possible-- and he nodded.

I laid my head in the place were his shoulder met his neck while he hung his arm around my shoulders, enveloping me in his warmth. 

"I'm an idiot and you were right" I said after a few minutes had gone by.

"You're not an idiot. You're the smartest person that I know" Blake replied without missing a beat.

"And what was I right about?" he questioned.

"You were right about Nick. I do like him. It's stupid but I feel like I'm getting sidetracked with him instead of doing my assignment" I confessed. I felt Blake's chest rise and fall with his breathing, the motion made me feel more at ease.

"I think you forgot about the part where this assignment was for both of us" Blake stated. I lifted my head and his green eyes found mine. 

"What are you trying to say?" I asked, slightly confused.

"I'm saying that if doing this assignment is going to upset you or hurt you in any sort of way, then stop. I'll take it from here" he said.

"You mean, that you would get close to Nick and become his friend?" I asked, my mouth widening in shock.

"If that's what it takes to get this done, then yeah" he replied.

"You would do that? I thought you hated Nick" I commented matter of factly.

"I don't hate him. I just don't trust him. Either way, for you I would do anything" his words forced a smile on my mouth that I couldn't stop from appearing. My heart started beating a little bit faster. Feeling loved was the greatest feeling in the world.

"You are the best friend ever, you know that? I love so much" I hugged him tightly while he held me. 

"Yeah, the best friend ever" he whispered softly.

"I love you more Liz" he said in a more normal tone. I smiled against his chest feeling content.

I really don't know what I would do without my best friend. But I sure appreciate him making this easier for me. I knew since day one that getting closer to Nick would be dangerous, but after tonight, I know that it's not worth the risk. If we find a way to take down the organization that threatens his safety, he would leave without a glance back. I would be left here heartbroken about his departure. I don't deal well with heartbreak, so I'm going to take two steps back. I would let Blake deal with this. 

_____________________________________________

Cause you're not the only one,

Who's ever felt this way.

Don't let the world cave in,

Just tell me that you'll stay.

-Nick Jonas. "Stay"

___________________________________________

A/N: Classes are finally over!!!! Things will get back to normal regarding my updating schedule as I have proved by posting this chapter :)

So, any thoughts?

Love you all for reading <3

Gif: Blake 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 4.5K 34
Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas. How does one of Hollywood's most well-known and well-loved friendships fare when the parties involved start to develop ro...
53.9K 1.4K 68
In which the girl who believes she has no reason for happiness, meets the guy who gives her a reason to smile again. Emilia Campbell had always been...
58.9K 714 19
Part 2 to Long Lost Sister... The time has come for Alexis Isabella Jonas to become apart of her three famous brothers... The Jonas Brothers... and h...
121K 2.3K 49
I grew up with Joe, Nick and Kevin. I've always been in love with Joe, but he has never seen me as more than a friend. I know my chances with him are...