Brothers Best Friend is the o...

By jadenhenlinelove

Cole Wagners younger sister, Chloe Wagner has always been super close with the boys on the red land team. Bei... More

Chapter 1// Just friends
Chapter 2// All fun and no Games
Chapter 3// Feelings
Chapter 4// On the way to florida
Update (please comment ☺️)
Announcement
Chapter 5// I got you
Chapter 6 // Babe
Chapter 7/ Intentional or Nonintentional?
Chapter 8//
Chapter 9 // This one's for you
Chapter 11 // Love is strange
sorry /:
Chapter 12
HEY
Chapter 13// Worth the wait
Chapter 14// Lies on lies on lies
Chapter 15//
Chapter 16//
Chapter 17//
Chapter 18//
Chapter 19//
Chapter 20//
Chapter 21//
Chapter 22//
Chapter 23//
Chapter 24
Chapter 25//
Chapter 26//
Epilogue

Chapter 10// Jealousy

2.7K 34 14
By jadenhenlinelove

Jadens Pov

"Dude, that's ridiculous." Zack bantered, putting more gum into his mouth.

Cole raised an eyebrow jokingly, although I could tell he was starting to get defensive. "How? It's so simple, we have a strong enough fielding strategy we could beat any team, even if our hitting sucked."

"which it doesn't," I added, receiving a nod from Cole.

"True, therefore with great hitting and great fielding - aren't we unbeatable?" Cole asked, leaving the question out in the air even though I knew he really didn't want an answer.

After being Cole's best friend for over seven years, I noticed things about him others usually wouldn't.

For instance, he could only joke around to a certain point, and had boundaries. Cole could start out joking with someone, and actually get mad without other people noticing he wasn't kidding.

Cole wasn't hot headed per se - but he did have a short patience. Cole didn't like slacking, especially at baseball, and he wouldn't tolerate flat out laziness.

He was also defensive at times, and could go to the earth's end to defend a point. This is probably why his dad always jokes he could be a lawyer if he wanted too.

"No, it doesn't Cole. I mean, this isn't regionals or finals. This is the big thing - all these teams have 'great fielding and great batting' you know?" Zack said, less defiantly than before.

I agreed with Zack, but didn't want to get too involved.

Cole shrugged, he knew Zack was right also. "Anyway - any of you guys thinking about hoco?"

"Heck yes." I said excitedly, my thoughts instantly went to Chloe. She was so... perfect. Which honestly wasn't even a good word to describe her. Chloe had flaws, but her flaws made her even more perfect.

The way she sometimes got shy around guys, or the way she could get angry easily if prodded at could be considered 'flaws' but I thought they made her even more attractive.

She was everything I could ever ask for in a girl, and I hadn't realized that until recently. The only thing in my way? Cole.

"Ooh, Jaden's got some babe in mind. Who you asking?" Cole asked, grinning at me.

My eyes darted around at all the guys in the dug out right now - Braden, Zack, Cole, Chayton; and I got dumbfounded. "Uh- I'm not totally sure yet-" i paused, my mind thinking of some cover up so I didn't have to tell Cole I liked Chloe. "probably Haley though."

Cole clapped his hands and patted my back. "Atta boy, you guys talking?"

I kept an excited disposition - but on the inside this was torture. I didn't want to dig an even deeper hole with this lie, but now was not the time or place. "Yeah, she's into me - at least I think so."

Cole laughed and so did Zack and Chayton. Braden frowned, and narrowed his eyes at me. What was this for? Did he like Haley?

Shit. This was bad, I could've just screwed over Haley, who I didn't even like nor did I talk too, and also had to lie about Chloe.

"How about you guys - anyone have a date yet?" I asked, my eyes focused on the field. Even though Coach split us in half right now to practice fielding, I needed to keep my head in this. We were here to play baseball, not get involved in romances.

"Nah, not yet. I'm gonna see if Chloe can set me up with one of her friends though." Cole admitted, his tone cool.

"Ha, wanna see if you can set me up with Chloe?" Braden joked, winking at Cole. He knew this sort of stuff bothered Cole. Which is exactly why I was terrified to tell him I liked him.

"Never in a million years," Cole rolled his eyes and flashed a smile. "Seriously though, I dunno who she'll ask."

"Or who will ask her." I said.

"Yeah, I hope it's not some idiot. Like I get were twins and all but I still look out for her. Like I don't want some player screwing her over."

Well I won't do that, for sure.

Just then, Chloe walked in the dug out, texting on her phone. She ran into Braden, not watching where she was going.

"Ah!" Chloe shouted, flustered at what had just happened. "Oh my god, you scared me."

I started to laugh and so did Braden. "Not hard to do when you're not looking,"

She shook her head and gestured to the complex. "Sorry, I'm a little preoccupied. I don't think I've ever been in a place with this many boys before."

Cole patted the spot on the bench between Zack and him and Chloe sat in it.

"Any good prospects?" Zack asked.

"Yeah, there's a really cute guy on the southwest team." Chloe said with a smug smile.

Zack sighed, not even realizing how she could've misconstrued what he was asking until now. "Thanks, because I was totally wondering."

I really wanted to know which one, but I wasn't going to ask. It would be obvious then that I was defensive about her.

"What guy?" Cole asked, narrowing his eyes protectively. I was so thankful he'd asked.

I watched as Chloe raised an eyebrow, her face pinching into a suspicious frown and her piercing blue eyes glimmering ask she asked, "why?"

Cole shrugged, he wasn't going to let on that he was seriously going to "search" this guy to see if he was worthy or not. I knew, hoped, really, that she wasn't into him. I kind of thought we had something.. maybe not a relationship yet but I would try to initiate it.

"Maybe because I'm just wondering?" Cole replied sarcastically.

"Ben Gottfried. Maybe Benjamin but all he told me was Ben." Chloe admitted, intently interested in her phone.

So they talked? I thought she was just kidding. I still hoped she did. My mind would be so off during our games if she liked one of the players here - that wasn't me. If we ended up playing the west team, I'd personally look for this kid.

"Ohh, yeah. I know who you're talking about. Kid's got a sweet arm and he's good at batting." Cole said.

Just as he finished, coach made us switch and it was now our turn to go onto the field. I'd definitely field well now, I was pretty fired up.

As I walked out of the dugout, Chloe put a hand on my arm and pulled me back. Her touch was so calming, and reassuring.

"You okay?" she asked. So it was obvious I was mad?

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little protective I guess." I admitted, popping my hat off my head and putting it back on.

Chloe laughed, "Of what?"

I smiled, it was impossible not too at the sight of her laughing. "You."

Before she could answer, Coach yelled. "Henline! Quit stalling, that's two laps around the field, now!"

I groaned, angry I had to run laps, and also peeved this conversation was cut short. "Chloe - I -" I gestured towards the field.

"Yeah, I get it. Talk to you later!" She said, acting as if it was okay for me to go. Her face indicated she wanted me to stay.

I was so angry. Coach Wagner, aka, the ruiner of my love life - was really annoying me at today's practice. I ran in after my two laps, to have him scold me for holding up the team.

"Well couldn't you have put Cole at first?" I protested, my first wrong move. you never back talked the coach.

"No, Last time I checked Cole's on the mound right now. Head to first Henline, and knock off the attitude." I did as I was told, my blood pulsing and my fists clenched.

Coach started to hit balls, and the first one that came my way was my incentive to go try hard. I caught it, and send it flying to Cole.

Cole caught it, his glove shaking at the impact. Looking over at the dug-out, I saw Chloe talking with Adam and Jarrett.

Maybe I needed to chill. She wouldn't like me to be this angry right now anyway.

* After practice, we packed our bat bags and arrived at his long tram which would ride us back to the complex. I was so thankful for the tram, because the muscles in my legs were on fire. My right arm was aching from pitching too.

"Dude what got you so mad?" Zack asked, sitting next to me.

"Coach. I was only talking to Chloe for a few minutes and he gets all fired up. He's so in game mode right now, its ridiculous."

Zack shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. I'm in game mode too, and I'm sure you are, but we know how to separate it from real life stuff."

"That's so true, he's way too hype right now." I said.

"He just wants the same experience he had, for Cole. Which I totally get, but hes sort of crazy right now." Zack said.

"Sort of?"

"okay, a lot. You get what I mean."

"yeah, you're right. I'm really excited to just chill at the complex tonight." I said, my thoughts trailing off to the complex. Movies, xbox, ping-pong tables, tons of food..

"Same Jaden, it's gonna be so sweet." Zack admitted as Cole sat across from us.

He looked stressed. "My dad's going so hard right now, I'm exhausted."

"Same, my leg muscles are on fire." I sighed, wincing as I attempted to rub a knot out of my leg.

"Muscle memory," Zack chanted jokingly. That was coaches slogan.

"Yeah well, It'll be nice to hang out with the other teams tonight at the complex. I can't wait to relax, especially at the little league world series complex."

"Is chloe coming?" Zack asked.

"I mean, I guess so. I don't see why she wouldn't." Cole shrugged, then added jokingly, "Ben'll be there."

Yeah, that's something I wasn't excited for though. I just had to keep reminding myself she might not even like him.

Chloe and Braden hopped on the seats behind Cole, and the tram started to move us back to the main complex.

They started chatting and I kind of wish I sat near her. I wanted to know what she was going to say. I'd just ask tonight though, we had plenty of time.

After a few minutes, the tram pulled to a stop. We got out, bat bags and all, and made our way inside. It was so hot outside that the AC inside made a world of a difference.

"Oh my god," I said, taking my hat off to reduce some heat. "It feels pretty nice in here."

Braden got down on his knees and raised his hands in a prayer style towards the ceiling. "Thank You little league."

A few boys were hanging out in the lobby and they all started laughing at Braden, who after noticing, yelled "I'll be back later for some more jokes!"

"Hey, about earlier -" Chloe said, startling me.

"You don't have to be protective of anything, that's cole's job." She laughed, taking her hair out of her bun and letting it fall. It looked like a scene from a commercial, her hair was so pretty.

that wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, but nonetheless it was an answer. "You're right, he does do a pretty good job at that."

"Sadly, but I mean, I wouldn't want him any other way." Chloe winked, her eyes meeting mine as we both smiled.

A/N: Tried to make this chapter a little longer, hope you guys enjoy!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 99.4K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1.7M 63.1K 43
" Wtf is wrong with you, can't you sleep peacefully " " I-Its pain..ning d-down there, I can't...s-sleep " " JUST SLEEP QUIETLY & LET ME ALSO SLEEP...
1.5M 35K 60
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that. -Completed-
1.5M 26.4K 55
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...