The Selection

By MissUnknown6

(COMPLETED STORY) "I love you," I whispered softly. He stopped kissing my fingers immediately, gaping at me... More

Chapter 1: Caroline
Chapter 2: Selection
Chapter 3: Application
Chapter 4: Hazel eyes
Chapter 5: Selected
Chapter 6: Lila
Chapter 7: The Palace
Chapter 8: Dresses
Chapter 9: Finger sandwiches
Chapter 10: The first "date"
Chapter 11: Farrah
Chapter 12: Rebelling
Chapter 13: The Pierre
Chapter 14: The Report
Chapter 15: Truth
Chapter 16: The picture and a shelter
Chapter 17: Goodbyes
Chapter 18: Rebels
Chapter 19: South
Chapter 20: Fine
Chapter 21: Silence
Chapter 22: Yes
Chapter 23: Beeping
Chapter 24: 1 less
Chapter 25: Love
Chapter 26: Drama
Chapter 27: Lockdown
Chapter 28: Parents
Chapter 29: Mom
Chapter 30: Secrets are out
Chapter 31 Father
Chapter 32: Jet
Chapter 33: Yes
Authors Note
Chapter 34: One down
Chapter 35: Curiosity
Chapter 37: Ready
Chapter 38: Puzzles
Chapter 39: Broken dreams
Chapter 40: Taken
Chapter 41: The Game
Chapter 42: Running
Chapter 43: Truth comes out
Chapter 44: Quill
Chapter 45: Gabriel
Chapter 46: Full
Chapter 47: Father's Secret
Chapter 48: Call
Chapter 49: Sentencing
Chapter 50: Mozart
Chapter 51: Playing
Chapter 52: Driving
Chapter 53: Visitor
Chapter 54: Almost
Chapter 55: Tried
Chapter 56: Execution
Chapter 57: Queen
Chapter 58: We won?
Epilogue
Thank you ❀️

Chapter 36: Exposed

2.5K 57 6
By MissUnknown6

For the next week I engaged in wedding planning because I knew I had to since I chose the wedding date so close. When my father arrived on the 8th, the entire garden had been transformed. I stared at the willows hanging over the aisle as he approached me from his car. He slipped an arm over my shoulders.

"Pretty," He said, admiring the view.

"Yeah. Could you imagine? Such an easy life to buy all of this on one weeks notice," I said without meeting his eye.

"It's your life now," he answered monotone. "How great it would be if all this money went to something better, eh?"

I walked away, letting his arm fall limply to his side. He stalked after me.

"Your room will be the same as the last you stayed in," I told him as he followed close behind. "Dinner is at five and breakfast at eight. You'll be sent a couple of butlers to dress you for the wedding after breakfast and Laurie will instruct you from there."

"Wow," he commented. "You already sound like royalty."

I turned suddenly on the stairs, face to face with him, standing my ground with a cold hard stare. "It's because I am."

He said nothing. Only stared blankly back, so I continued while I was in this position.

"And I know you lied," I spit. "Don't ever call my mother crazy again."

I turned once more and led him to his room. I opened the door for him only to be welcomed by two butlers making the bed and setting his suitcase down for him.

"Enjoy your stay," I said, turning without a second glance but my dad caught my arm. The butlers immediately stood up stiff, ready to pounce. I held my hands up to show them it was fine.

"Be smart," he told, and quickly released me.

"I don't need your advice now. I've gone seventeen years without it, I could go a bit longer," I whispered, rubbing the soreness out of my fore arm.

"Ember!" I heard Gabriel call and could see his smile from down the hall. His smile so brilliant and pure, it reminded me how little I had seen him this week. We'd gone days without talking. His father knew we would be on our honeymoon for awhile and he wanted to get as much work out of Gabe as possible. He always left a note on my pillow if he wouldn't be able to see me. It almost made me regret declining the "Princess room" that was connected with Gabriel's room. At least then he could peek in when going to bed and tell me goodnight.

"Hi," I whispered as he approached me, sliding my arm behind my back.

"Mr. Eckerson," Gabriel reached his hand out, giving my father a strong shake. "I've never been able to give my condolences and appreciate your approval on allowing your wife and daughter to be buried here on the grounds. It's a privilege for us."

"Well, Your Majesty, I'd rather them be here then back in Carolina," my father nodded.

"Sorry to interrupt your visit but Ember, Laurie needs you for a dress fitting," he told me.

"Ugh," I groaned. "I swear this woman will be the death of me. I'll see you at dinner, father."

I looped my arm through Gabriel's as he pulled me close.

"I've tried this dress on at least ten times, it looks the same every time," I told him. Gabriel took a left instead of leading me down the stairs where I knew Laurie would be. The dress wasn't allowed to leave the Ladies Room or she would have a coronary.

"What are we-"

Suddenly, Gabriel shoved me in the closest room. I didn't even have time to take in my dark surroundings before his mouth was on mine. His hands pressed hard against my back. I was taken aback by the sudden attack but only for a moment before my hands grabbed his face. His stubble tickled my hands and lips as I kissed down his neck. He picked me up suddenly at my waist, carrying me back to an unknown surface with cushions.

"I'm not supposed to see you today," he whispered against my cheek.

"Why?"

"Some rule before the wedding," he said then claimed my mouth once more. I wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing his body down on mine.

He pulled back and I could see his outline in the darkness, "I'm sorry I haven't seen you much this week but I had to see you today. One last moment as my fiancée and then the rest of my life as my wife."

He kissed my nose once and then pushed himself off of me. He grabbed my hand helping me up, "You're quiet." He stared the obvious.

"Well you did just attack me," I pointed out.

"You've been quiet for awhile, Ember. I'm not blind to your melancholic behavior. Are you getting cold feet?" He asked as he led me forward and opened a door letting light blind me.

I squinted, "Of course not!"

"Good," he turned to stop me. "I'll see you at the alter then." He kissed me once then disappeared down the stairs. I watched as he walked confident down the main hall when a figure caught my eye. My father stood motionless at the end of the hallway, raised his eyebrows and then turned suddenly back to where his room was. Overwhelmed with everything in my life at the moment, I backed up against the door Gabriel and I had come out of and slid down it until my head rested on my knees. I took several long deep breaths and rubbed my temple to try and grind the never ending migraine I had these days.

"Ember, do you need help?" I heard Officer Bowen ask softly. I jumped at the closeness of his voice. He was knelt beside me and I had never heard a single movement.

"What are you? A ninja? Where did you come from?" I demanded.

He chuckled slightly. I gaped in response, I don't think I'd ever seen him smile. "I saw you kneeling, I thought you could use a hand." He held one hand out for me and I took it although my mental breakdown had not yet been over.

"Thanks," I said to him.

"You're welcome," he nodded. "Would you like me to escort you anywhere?"

"No thank you," I shook my head, "I think I'll just go back to my room and take a nap. Long day tomorrow."

"Of course, Your Majesty. And I haven't been able to congratulate you on your engagement though it didn't last long," he smiled once more.

I laughed out loud for the first time in almost two weeks, "I sure don't mess around, do I?"

"Good quality for a queen," he winked and then I heard a butler approach. He asked for Officer Bowen's assistance and he excused himself. I watched as he left in the same direction Gabriel had then turned to head for my own room.

Loneliness swept the halls that used to be flooded. At this rate I would even appreciate Farrah's company. I longed for someone to talk to. My maids were busy with the wedding decorating and Gabriel obviously had too much going on. I stared at the familiar walls in my room and wondered what The Princess' Room looked like. I decided I'd like to find out.

I turned back around and closed the door behind me. I trotted down the hall, deciding to kick my heels off in the hall on the way. Once I was in front of the balcony over the main hall I realized I had never once seen Gabriel's room. A butler below in the main hall was buzzing in the same direction Gabe and Officer Bowen had been going and I shouted below at him. He's the only butler I had seen all day, the palace was surprisingly quiet.

"Excuse me good sir, I was wondering where I could find The Princess' room attached to Prince Gabriel's. The comforter in there is much more comfortable," I lied.

"Of course, Your Heinous, would you like me to escort you?" He said, on the verge of dropping the tray in his hands.

"No, no," I waved my hand, "Only need a reminder of directions."

"Third floor miss, first hall on the right, second hall on the left. Second door on your left," He told me graciously.

"Oh yes, of course, thank you," I took off before I could forget his directions. When I found the correct hall there were only two lone doors on the left side. I opened the second door slightly, peeking in just in case someone happened to be in there.

The large bed lay untouched, with a long canopy hanging over the top. It was beautiful and a small part of me wanted to sleep in here tonight, regretting that I hadn't the past two weeks. The floors were carpet where as mine was hardwood with a rug. A huge mirror covered a wall and dipped in as though a model could stand and see all angles of herself. I didn't open the door beside the bed because I knew the closet would overwhelm me with floor length dresses.

I walked over and sat on the edge of the bed, sliding my hands over the satin duvet. The foot board was mahogany, pricey and hard to get your hands on since The Great War. Portraits and landscaped painting hung on the blush walls. The room had a large window that overlooked the backyard of the palace, one thing my room had that was better was the view.

My eyes skimmed the room until they landed on a door in the far corner of the room. It had to lead to Gabriel's room. He'd never invited me in there and I had wandered why in the past two weeks. I stood slowly and then sunk back down. Maybe he didn't want me in there for a reason. Maybe he'd be mad if I did go in there. But he was extremely busy and would never know...

I bit my nail as I stood, shaking slightly with nerves. I approached the door and laid my ear against it to make sure it was empty. Nothing but silence sounded from the other side. I turned the knob slowly and pushed the door open.

I didn't expect his room to look so... normal. His bed was grand, no doubt. His closet dipped in the same way the Princess' Room did but was less extravagant. Papers were strewn all over the floor. Papers upon papers. I picked one up that looked like a newspaper, my name and picture all over the front page. It was dated in late June, the time I had been taken. What Madden had told me was in fact true and Gabriel had hidden it from me.

"Ember Eckerson secretly in cahoots with the southern rebels, taking up and standing charge for those against the country," it stated and I threw it to the side. Most of the papers weren't newspapers but written statements. I held one up and it spoke about a trip to Gardonia for trade deals. I stepped on some of the papers to lay this one on his desk. His desk held pictures upon picture behind it. Pictures of him and his family in different parts of the world, at celebrations, at balls but there was one in the small left corner that caught my eye. It was me as a young teen. Maybe 14 or 15. I don't remember taking the picture but I do remember how Gabriel got it and he still had it. My heart swelled as I untacked the picture and brought it up to look at it closer. For a brief moment my eyes focused on the desk where a paper read "URGENT: enemies on the inside"

I put the picture down and swiped up the paper hoping Gabriel knew the same things I did so I wouldn't have to tell him. It read: Fellow royalty, we have been contacted by the pursuit of a civil army looking for allies to attack your kingdom. You have far greater worries then the civilians as your own military is turning against you. We tell you this in honor of our trustworthy treaty and hope to help the true Kingdom of Illea in any way you see fit. The rebels expressed to us that they have men inside the kingdom along with their leader because of the highest of ranks. Please note that we are not the only military whom have been asked.

Suddenly I heard the footsteps in the hall. I shoved the paper down the front of my dress and glided through the door to the Princess' Room just as soon as the door opened. It was not Gabriel who entered the room and whoever it was bustling through the papers.

"It's not here," I heard a faint whisper.

"Maybe it was on the king's desk and we missed it," another whispered back. The next let out a string of curse words and they left the room in a hurry. They were looking for the paper that I had stolen. I had the power to expose.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.3K 2.9K 17
#3 in short story! 3/29/2019 #34 on Royals! 8/20/2019 #8 on heartfelt! I was walking to the grocery store when I thought some one was following me ...
400 22 21
"Fayre, Fayre" someone was calling as I ran "Catch me mama" I called laughing "Stop running, you'll fall" ....... And the voice faded away while I k...
65.2K 2.1K 33
"You're my princess and I'm your prince," He said, smiling brightly. "That's cute. But why prince and princess?" I asked out of curiosity. "It's be...
624K 20.7K 57
"Are you sure you're one of the girls? You seem like a spy to me. Are you spy, Arabella?" My name rolled of his tongue perfectly and I stood complete...