Chapter 49: Sentencing

"They're here," Gabriel said through the open door. I looked up from the glider that had been placed in our room so I could rock Christian to sleep. I knew what he meant. He hadn't talked to me all day nor did he come to bed last night after what I'd said to him and I didn't blame him.

His eyes were on our son in my arms and then flickered to the floor as he pushed his hands in his pockets.

"Am I needed?" I asked, tracing Christians lips with my finger.

"Well my father sent me up here to retrieve you so I'm going to say yes," he answered.

Anne came in then, reaching for Christian, "Don't worry, Ember. He'll be safe."

"I know," I answered, shifting him into her arms. I stared at him for a second longer until I turned towards Gabriel.

"Should I change?" I asked. He looked at me for the first time since last night. His eyes raked up and down me, becoming hungrier the lower they went.

"I think you look beautiful," he said, turning away. "But cameras will be there, so a dress will be more appropriate."

I nodded and turned to our closet. Choosing a long dress to cover up my scarring legs and some flats.

Gabriel gave me one more glance over before turning away. I joined him in the hall, leaving my son with Anne.

"When were they captured?" I asked Gabriel as we walked.

"Around 7 this morning," he answered.

"That's pretty late, assuming our troops arrived around- what- midnight?"

"They protected them most," Gabriel informed me.

"Hm," I sighed.

"What?"

"I expected them to protect your mother but not my father," I answered.

Ignoring me, he said, "They're being held at the Stronghold but my father has them in the square now for public humiliation."

"We're going to the village?" I asked.

He nodded as we approached a car. He opened the door for me and held out a hand to help me inside the walked around to enter on his side.

I remembered the last time I'd been in a car with Gabriel. He'd been driving. One hand on the wheel, one on my thigh. We were both laughing and in love, so in love after just having a wonderful honeymoon. Everything had changed drastically. I couldn't stand to be touched without jerking away and even now he was pressed up against the door, no chance of our legs or hands brushing against each other. I watched as he stared out the window blankly. I wanted to reach out and touch him, hold his hands, skin his arms, kiss his neck but I knew I wouldn't. I couldn't. Not after hurting him last night and not before he was about to see his mother for the first time after everything.

Instead, I turned towards the window watching the trees zoom and remembering the only time I'd been in those trees. Running towards a Ferris wheel with Gabriel. I remembered him opening up about Greek mythology that night and telling me how lonely he was. I remembered telling him about Madden... I remembered kissing him, feeling the need rush through me on that Pierre. It was the night I realized we were made for each other, him and me. Fitting together perfectly, just like the Aristophanes I had read about in Gabriel's book. The universe rooting for us... until now.