Chapter 36: Exposed

For the next week I engaged in wedding planning because I knew I had to since I chose the wedding date so close. When my father arrived on the 8th, the entire garden had been transformed. I stared at the willows hanging over the aisle as he approached me from his car. He slipped an arm over my shoulders.

"Pretty," He said, admiring the view.

"Yeah. Could you imagine? Such an easy life to buy all of this on one weeks notice," I said without meeting his eye.

"It's your life now," he answered monotone. "How great it would be if all this money went to something better, eh?"

I walked away, letting his arm fall limply to his side. He stalked after me.

"Your room will be the same as the last you stayed in," I told him as he followed close behind. "Dinner is at five and breakfast at eight. You'll be sent a couple of butlers to dress you for the wedding after breakfast and Laurie will instruct you from there."

"Wow," he commented. "You already sound like royalty."

I turned suddenly on the stairs, face to face with him, standing my ground with a cold hard stare. "It's because I am."

He said nothing. Only stared blankly back, so I continued while I was in this position.

"And I know you lied," I spit. "Don't ever call my mother crazy again."

I turned once more and led him to his room. I opened the door for him only to be welcomed by two butlers making the bed and setting his suitcase down for him.

"Enjoy your stay," I said, turning without a second glance but my dad caught my arm. The butlers immediately stood up stiff, ready to pounce. I held my hands up to show them it was fine.

"Be smart," he told, and quickly released me.

"I don't need your advice now. I've gone seventeen years without it, I could go a bit longer," I whispered, rubbing the soreness out of my fore arm.

"Ember!" I heard Gabriel call and could see his smile from down the hall. His smile so brilliant and pure, it reminded me how little I had seen him this week. We'd gone days without talking. His father knew we would be on our honeymoon for awhile and he wanted to get as much work out of Gabe as possible. He always left a note on my pillow if he wouldn't be able to see me. It almost made me regret declining the "Princess room" that was connected with Gabriel's room. At least then he could peek in when going to bed and tell me goodnight.

"Hi," I whispered as he approached me, sliding my arm behind my back.

"Mr. Eckerson," Gabriel reached his hand out, giving my father a strong shake. "I've never been able to give my condolences and appreciate your approval on allowing your wife and daughter to be buried here on the grounds. It's a privilege for us."

"Well, Your Majesty, I'd rather them be here then back in Carolina," my father nodded.

"Sorry to interrupt your visit but Ember, Laurie needs you for a dress fitting," he told me.

"Ugh," I groaned. "I swear this woman will be the death of me. I'll see you at dinner, father."

I looped my arm through Gabriel's as he pulled me close.

"I've tried this dress on at least ten times, it looks the same every time," I told him. Gabriel took a left instead of leading me down the stairs where I knew Laurie would be. The dress wasn't allowed to leave the Ladies Room or she would have a coronary.

"What are we-"

Suddenly, Gabriel shoved me in the closest room. I didn't even have time to take in my dark surroundings before his mouth was on mine. His hands pressed hard against my back. I was taken aback by the sudden attack but only for a moment before my hands grabbed his face. His stubble tickled my hands and lips as I kissed down his neck. He picked me up suddenly at my waist, carrying me back to an unknown surface with cushions.