Chapter 13: The Pierre

It wasn't hard. My room was on the second floor and the gazebo was close enough to the balcony that I could leap from the outside of the railing to it's hexagon, pointed roof. Of course, only after taking my heels off. That would be quite something if I could achieve that in stilettos. I slid down the side pole and entered the gazebo, taking a seat to wait for Gabriel and slipping my heels back on.

Bushels of baby breath surrounded the gazebo along with a mixture of white and red roses. The smell was overwhelming if I'm being honest but the sight was something else. The moonlight shined overhead bringing little light to the garden.

I took a glance at the clock before leaving my bedroom and it had been just before ten. I was determined to keep Gabriel out past midnight per his wishes. There was plenty to do in the square for a couple hours weren't there? Truthfully, I wouldn't know. First, I've obviously never been there. I lived a plane ride away and second,  they didn't hold fairs or town wide parties back at home. Carolina couldn't afford that.

I could see a figure in the distance, walking through rows of flowers towards me. It was so obviously Gabriel. He walked with a confidence even though I knew he was scared out of his wits to get caught. I had to admit, so was I but I'd never let him know that otherwise he'd back out. His under shirt had been changed to black and I thanked above that he had decided to do that, it'd be much easier to stay focused around him. Then, I remembered his jacket which I had shrugged off in my room. Mentally, I kicked myself and hoped no one would check my fake pillow body and happen to see the princes jacket on my floor. Eventually, he approached me.

"You ready?" I asked and his eyes shined bright with excitement as he nodded. "Good, we'll have to take the woods."

The only other way would be brightly lit and in view of guards. Gabriel agreed and we both took off, staying quiet and leaning low as to not be seen. As of now, I was cursing the darned moonlight for giving the guards a chance to catch us but thankfully no men looked our way. They stared straight ahead and looked as though in a deep conversation with each other.

As soon as we reached the edge of the woods, my heel broke and I stumbled, letting out a curse. I was immediately taken down to the ground.

"Did you hear that?" I heard a guard in the distance ask.

Gabriel's arms held me down and his lips were at my ear, "Crawl."

A shiver ran down my spine and I obliged until the trees were shielding us. I glanced towards the entryway of the palace and both guards stared in the position where we both had just been. Gabriel took my hand, helping to my feet and then we made a wordless agreement: run. I lifted my other shoe that hadn't broken and snapped the heel off before running after him.

I could tell he wasn't running as fast as he could, he was keeping pace with me. We ran until I told him I had to stop. I leaned up against a tree, breathing so hard I thought I was going to pass out. Adrenaline rushed through my veins and I couldn't help but laugh. Gabriel stared at me like I was crazy until he realized that we both were for doing this and he began to laugh too.

"This is why I don't wear heels," I said between breaths. I took my shoes off, heels broken on either one and threw them aside.

"You're not going to wear shoes?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I doubt anyone will care."

He smiled, shaking his head and took my hand again, leading me towards the Ferris wheel that was acting as our North Star.

As we hit the side walk, he asked, "What about you? Where would you live?"

"The ocean," I answered almost immediately.