Disclosed Truce

By ChanytheWoods

She was taken away from them four years ago, ending their inseparable friendship. Now after all those years... More

Before You Read
Prologue
Tree House Slumber
The Incident
Free Our Friend
Known By Association
Her Secret Plans
What Friends Are For
I'll Fight For You This Time
Determination
Freeing Lei
The First Note
Before It's Too Late
They're Connected
Harvets
Anxiety
At All Cost
Michelle
It Was A Man
One Hell of a Surprise
Strange Visits
Make the Decision

Secrets

45 5 16
By ChanytheWoods

"Why did I decide to take this class? Errh!" Michelle growled, then tossed her pencil on the statistics workbook. "This is going to be the death of me."

Laying back, she stared at the bland, white ceiling. A small smile crept over as she thought about her weekend. It would be different than any of the others. That weekend would change her life, she was beyond excited.

Hopping out of bed, Michelle rushed to her two door closet and swung it open. "Let's see. Should I do this," Michelle carelessly tugged her teal dress off of her hanger, and showed it to her mirror that hung in the middle of her closet.

Michelle's grip on the dress tightened as she brought her other hand to her ponytail and pulled the scrunchy out, along with a few strands. She shook her wavy hair and smiled brightly at the result. "Yes, this is perfect."

The straps of the dress were brown that were entwined like a three strand braid, which led to her fully covered back. It was appropriate, yet flashy in Michelle's eyes. Tilting her head from side to side, Michelle kept searching for the perfect angle. She then made a few faces. The date had to be perfect.

After putting the dress on her left closet door, Michelle looked to her bed and shook her head. Statistics homework will have to wait until food, she thought as she made her way into the hallway.

Typically around that time, her mom would be on her way from work, and her dad still working until late hours. Her mother was a professor at a local University and part time teacher at a community college twenty minutes away.

So when Michelle made it into the kitchen and heard hesitant whispering, she grew scared. Neither of her parents were supposed to be home at that time. In the kitchen a butter knife sat on the counter. Slowly walking to it, Michelle silently grabbed it.

What was going through her mind: was today the day someone killed her and got away with it. From all the Snapped episodes to recently speaking with Lei, she was overwhelmed with paranoia and fear. Her insides turned, while her mouth twitched at the corners. She felt as if whoever really killed Lei's family was watching her. As if the person knew. She didn't know how to explain it, except for intuition.

Around the corner, Mrs. Henson and her dad stood in close quarters discretely discussing a serious matter. A soothing rush fled her body, knowing she wasn't going to die. But curiousity did get the best of her. Why were they being so quiet?

Michelle didn't have to hear to know it was something major. Her heart rate began to increase as she eavesdropped on the conversation. What if they somehow found out about her whereabouts yesterday. If that were the case, her dad would kill her.

As Michelle tried to disfigure some of the words, Mrs. Henson's hands swung wildly at her side, and when she looked off she caught eye of Michelle. Michelle gasped in fear, then slowly made her way out.

Mrs. Henson dropped her hands to her side. "Hello, Michelle."

Michelle nervously bit her lower lip. Now was the time to see if they knew, "Hey you two."

Her dad ruffled his hair with his hand before shooting her a nervous smile. "How long have you been standing there, kiddo?"

Michelle shrugged, "For a few seconds. Look I-"

"We need your help," Mrs. Henson interrupted. Both Michelle and her dad gave her a puzzled look. Unfazed, Mrs. Henson continued, "Javon's birthday is in a few weeks, and your father and I keep arguing about what to give him. Apparently, he thinks he knows him better than...me-is that a knife?" Mrs. Henson pointed.

Looking down to her sides, Michelle had forgotten she grabbed it as a weapon. Looking back to the two, she nervously chuckled. "You two scared me half to death. Dad's supposed to be at work, and I hear talking. Tell mom she's gotten her point across, no more Snapped. You two almost gave me a heart attack." Michelle walked to the black double sided coffee table and gently placed it on the smooth surface.

Mrs. Henson's once stiff posture relaxed as she laughed loudly, "I am so sorry. So," Mrs. Henson clasped her hands together, "what ya say about my little need of your help?"

Michelle couldn't believe it. They were asking for her help-regarding Javon. Maybe there really was a high chance of Javon asking her out and making her his girlfriend. A smile crept on her lips as she thought about what it would feel like to be Javon's girlfriend.

"I will do it!" Michelle grinned happily, "It will be perfect and unexpected when I go on the date-well birthday dinner with him. He won't expect a thing!" Michelle cheesed even harder.

But when she announced the news, neither Mrs. Henson or her dad reciprocated her action. No instead, her dad's long face held pain and as if he was going to be sick. Mrs. Henson's lip ticked for a split second before breaking into a smile, but her dad kept the sick expression.

Her dad walked three steps forward, crossing his arms into one another and ruled, "Date? You're not allowed to date! Call and cancel. I don't care who it is you're going with. You're not going on that date!"

Before Michelle could conjure a slick comeback Mrs. Henson came in for the rescue. "Now you have to let her grow up. She's no longer a child. She's going to date sooner or later," Mrs. Henson brought Michelle into a hug, "I am so happy for you and Javon. If you'd like, I can help you pick out your outfit."

One arm linked around Michelle's shoulder as the two made their way out of the living room, joking and laughing about how much fun the night was going to be. Michelle couldn't believe Mrs. Henson was fine with it. But she was happy for it.

After Mrs. Henson left, Michelle's father and she cooked a small dinner. She was too excited about her weekend to focus on the food really, so her father took over completely as she sat at the island smirking to herself.

"I get no say in this, do I?" Michelle's father spoke as he wiped his damp hands on a dry towel.

Michelle shook her head. "Dad, I'm mature enough. It's not like we're getting married. He's just being a good friend."

Even after those comforting words, her father continued to look sick. If Michelle weren't so wrapped up in her happiness she would have noticed. She rested her chin in her palms and began thinking of different romantic scenarios.

"Michelle?" Her father went. "You do know, no matter what, I will protect you. Just...just don't forget that, alright?"

Michelle's eyes shot to her father. Sympathy took over, causing her to rush to his side. "And don't forget I am a smart girl. I won't do anything stupid, dad. It's just a birthday dinner. Alright?"

As if that was the most logical answer since the beginning of time, her dad nodded, "Okay, okay. Just-just no kissing or physical touching moments."

Michelle agreed. Though, she was fearful if she did make the first move, Javon would deny her. So her dad didn't have to worry in that department. But what if he did make the first move? How would Michelle react?

Her eyes lit in shock. She's never been kissed before. How would she know if she's doing it right? What if he ended their friendship just for that? Just thinking about all the disasters made her want to call Javon, create a lame excuse, and cancel their date. He would understand. He was Javon after all.

Michelle was on her way up the stairs to watch a few Youtube videos on how to kiss for beginners, when she heard rapid clicks of a pair of heels. Her mother was home and from the sounds of it, was in some sort of rush. Turning from the stairs, Michelle made brief eye contact with dad, when her mother stormed into the kitchen. Anger was the most evident, not just in her grimaced expression but also body language.

But what terrified Michelle even more than that, her mother's glare was fixated on her.

Her knees buckled as she feared what she could have done. Did her dad text her mom about the date-birthday dinner with Javon?

Those light brown eyes appeared to have turned a shade darker. Her mother's purse and briefcase was roughly tossed on the island. Her hair being heavy gelled down stayed in place.

"Detra, what's going on?" Her dad cautiously asked. Michelle watched as her dad's stiff composure hadn't loosened up since her mother entered the kitchen.

And since her dad wasn't aware of her mother's unknown anger, that scared Michelle even more. Her throat dried. Her insides bounced around afraid of where to go.

Ignoring his question, her mom pointed an index finger at Michelle, "Where exactly did you go yesterday?" Her usual calm and collected voice, was heated and full of anger.

Did she know? There's no way she could know. Michelle was careful. For Pete's sake, she planned that months in advance. Whatever her mother thought she knew was wrong. It had to be. But what if it wasn't? That angry glare meant she knew something, Michelle didn't want her to know. But how?

Clearing her throat, "I-I...wa-Javon, remember? W-why?"

Michelle was completely taken aback at her mother's next course of action. "Oh really?! You're still going to sit here and work with that damned lie?! After you've probably figured I know!" Her mother's jaws clenched.

The watering of her eyes caused her to blink several times. Her thoughts were in a train wreck. Her mother knew. And she was so fearful of what the consequences were. She never betrayed the either of them before.

"Know what, Detra?" Michelle's dad questioned. The concern look on his face broke Michelle down even more. She let them down.

Her mother spat, "Where were you, Michelle?" Again ignoring Michelle's dad, her mother took a few steps in Michelle's direction.

Michelle's throat dried all over again. The gig was up. She would have admitted her confidential jaunt, but she was fresh out of words. She was beyond tongue tied and scared. With a shrug of her shoulders, the tears finally fell.

Unbothered, her mother persisted, "Well, since you appear to have yourself a case of amnesia, I'll remind you." For the first time, since her mother entered, she made eye contact with her dad. "I was casually grading exams, when Taylor comes and has a chat with me. We talked and talked, until she told me how she spotted Javon on a baseball field with a group of guys. None of which being our daughter."

As if Michelle's mom didn't already answer the question, her dad asked, "So then, where were you Michelle? It is not like you to lie." He folded his arms into one another, patiently waiting.

Her lips quivered. The words still weren't coming. It was as if her brain temporary shut off, and was in reboot mode. She couldn't produce even the simplest word.

"I'll spare ourselves the sound of more lies," her mother's eyes narrowed, "shortly after my informative encounter with the sweet Taylor, I receive a call. And not just any call, as if a blessing from Allah, Bristle Millain's Uncle Charlie called me. Yes, he was more than shareful. On his way to see his poor brother, he saw you enter a building. A special building, called," her mother snaps her fingers a few times, as if trying to recollect the name, "oh right, Garley County Juvenile Center."

A smack of the table caused both Michelle and her mother to stare at her father surprised. "Not this Michelle. Anything but this," his eyes held so much anguish and desperation. "Tell her she's lying! Tell her!"

Her body trembled. For the first time, she was able to speak, "I'm so sorry."

"So sorry? You're so sorry for going to visit an incriminating disgrace, after we specifically banned you, or are you so sorry you were caught? Please, be honest just this once." Her mother said moving her head in a different direction with every other word.

Gulping down whatever temporary freeze she had, she smoothly said. "Both. But I wouldn't go and break your rules, if I didn't know."

Her mother's expression shifted into a curious one. "Know what?"

Feeling a gust of strength attach to her, she responded. "Mom she's innocent. I know you-"

"Keys. Phone. Now!" Her father snapped. He hastily removed his apron and made his way towards Michelle. Those green eyes continued to hold pain. Pain she couldn't fathom for a simple visit. It was if he thought she helped Lei escape, which she would have if she had the manpower and intelligence backing her up.

Lowering her head in defeat, "I'll go get them."

Oh her way up the stairs, her mother stopped her. Michelle turned around to see a completely different person. She was not the same one from a minute ago. That one looked pained, petrified, and dejected.

In a soft, calm tone, her mother explained. "She's dangerous, Michelle. Do not forget what she is. She deeply affected you-us. Especially your father. He hated-I hated seeing you go through that. You have a pure heart but gullible mind. Lei is poison. Promise us you'll stay away."

Glancing at her father waiting in anticipation, Michelle stared back at her mother. Wiping away the tears she had left, Michelle regretted what she said next, "I promise. I let you both down. Lei is of the past."

She searched and waited to see if either of her parents believed her. She needed them to. Her lips puckered, as if that would help her. And just like that a small smile slipped from her mother's. "Thank you."

She only nodded, "I will go get my keys and phone now." Turning her back to the tense room, Michelle stared into the upcoming hallway, releasing her fingers crossing. She looked down and back at her parents to see both still watching her. With another nod, she turned back.

With a glare at the pale green walls. Michelle knew what she did. There was no way she was giving up on Lei. And the lying to her parents had just began. No one was going to stop her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dear Diary By Tyree

Mystery / Thriller

2.1M 2.6K 44
Sidney Cromwell--the teenage gossip queen. She loved a juicy secret, especially those she could exploit to her own benefit. So when she's found murde...
821 75 38
Growing up, young Damien had only himself to blame for the tragedy that tore his whole family apart ... Years later Damien finds himself in a place w...
149K 2.7K 27
Sequel to: The Gang Leader Meats His Mafia Father- In- Law ___________________ You need to read the first story to understand this story :) ________...
1.9M 95.9K 41
When Jane Madarang's neighbor Natalie kills herself and leaves behind cryptic instructions, it's up to Jane and her classmates to unearth deadly secr...