Disclosed Truce

By ChanytheWoods

She was taken away from them four years ago, ending their inseparable friendship. Now after all those years... More

Before You Read
Prologue
Tree House Slumber
The Incident
Free Our Friend
Known By Association
Her Secret Plans
What Friends Are For
I'll Fight For You This Time
Freeing Lei
The First Note
Secrets
Before It's Too Late
They're Connected
Harvets
Anxiety
At All Cost
Michelle
It Was A Man
One Hell of a Surprise
Strange Visits
Make the Decision

Determination

37 8 16
By ChanytheWoods

"Thanks for the ride, Garrett," Bristle said sending her neighbor a smile. It was genuine. Whenever she was with him, she refused to bring herself to lie to him. She couldn't. They had built their friendship based off of trust. Besides, it took Garrett two years to get her to where they were now.

He switched his car gears into park. "You don't have to thank me, Bris. I don't mind it."

"Yeah, I know. But I still like to say it. I don't want you to forget," she admitted. She would hate it if Garrett ever felt like she did not appreciate him. He's one of the very few people that she did treasure.

"That'll never happen. So, there's this insane karaoke night going down this weekend. You in?" Garrett smiled.

Karaoke night? Where she would have to sing in front of a crowd. Bristle met his light blue eyes and declined. It's not her scene. Bristle has always been more into quiet, closed in places.

"Worth a try, right? Well I'll see you tomorrow. I better head off before my boss finds a reason to fire me. Same time tomorrow?" He smiled. Garrett grabbed a scrunchy from his cup holder and put his neck length hair into a sloppy bun.

Garrett's hair always fascinated Bristle. The way it crinkled after being wet. Plus the blond added to the attraction. When Bristle first met him, she pegged him to be a former surfer, and she was right. He had to move from California due to financial problems. During his summers he visited there. Garrett always told her stories about California. That was where she planned to move after school. Get away from this life altering town.

"Yeah, sure. Have fun at work." Bristle said as she gathered her belongs. She exited the car, and gently shut the door. Waving, Bristle turned and headed for the front door.

She heard from behind her, his old jeep screech as he drove away. At the door, Bristle balanced her two binders in her arm, while she used both hands to roam her purse for her keys. She gave the purse a shake and her fingers connected with the nickel silver. Seconds later three sets of keys and a Hello Kitty keychain revealed itself.

Unlocking the door, the smell of mixed spices hit her nose. As a reaction to the delightful smell Bristle's stomach growled. Whoever was cooking was stirring up something tasty. Bristle could not wait to eat. She refused to eat the school's food, it always made her sick afterwards.

She dropped her things at the stairs, and made her way through the living room into the kitchen. There her sister was hard at work over the stove. Her mother and uncle were sitting at the kitchen counter laughing. None of them looked up at her. It was as if she was invisible.

"This is going to be so good. I can feel it," Alx went.

Her mother took a sip of dark substance from her favorite wine glass, then asked. "Where'd you get the recipe from, again?" Over the years Bristle's mother's accent changed like the season, as well as her weight.

One year her mother could be some woman from New York with a little weight around. Another one, she could be some southern belle as skinny as could be. Bristle determined that her mother just loved change. That's why, even though their kitchen had just been remodelled last year, it was worked on even more almost five months ago.

The color scheme went from peach and grey to red and black. Bristle had to admit she loved the color way better. And their old silver colored fridge had to go as well, it was replaced by an expensive wooden colored on. The cabinets were now see through and the drawers were black. A small, round island was placed in the middle of the kitchen. Whenever her family was gone, Bristle did her homework there. It was more comfortable in her eyes.

"Pinterest. That website has so many ideas it's insane. I decorated our room using that website's suggestion." Alx responded.

Alx placed a lid over one of the pots. Patting her hands at her sides, her eyes darted to Bristle and her lips split into a smile. "Hey Bris, how was school?"

Bristle slowly nodded, "Same, typical. What are you ma...is that my shirt?"

Alx curiously looked down at the dark purple shirt. It had a tomato stain, rubbed in, on it at the chest area. Of all shirts to wear she chose that one. Bristle immediately frowned. Alx purposely did that. She knew that shirt had sentimental value. Not only was that shirt a limited edition Teller Dev, an up and coming band, tee, but her father gave it to her.

Alx's once happy exterior transitioned into a busted one. "Oh, yeah my bad. I needed something to cook it. You don't mind, do you?" Alx's smile grew as Bristle's frown did.

"Take. It off. Dad gave that to me, befo-take it off, now!" Bristle demanded.

Of all shirts Alx could have chosen, she picked that one. Bristle's dad bought her the shirt as a way of starting their relationship over. It had always been shaky, especially after the conviction of Lei. Then shortly after he gave her the present, Alx and he were in a fatal car accident.

A drunk driver had crashed into another car, and her father lost control and rammed into a tree. Not only did the drunk driver die, but everyone in the other car as well. Her dad had been in a coma for almost a month now, while Alx dealt with a minor concussion and back issues.

Bristle did not hate Alx, but she wished her father would have received those injuries. Life would be better with him around, she just knew it. Ever since the wreck her uncle, his brother, had been loitering around. It was as if he did not have a life of his own.

"You're right. I'm so sorry, Bris. I know what this shirt means to you," Alx sheltered her face with her pale hands. Shaking her head, she added, "I'm an idiot, you know. Really, I am. It's my fault."

Bristle exhaled deeply. She knew where Alx was stirring the conversation. One glimpse at her mother, and she knew she'd only believe her. Her family loved dramatic acts. It was as if it was their high.

"I don't even remember the impact. All I remember was being carried to the hospital. You know they say it's a miracle I made it, but how can that be when dad is fighting for his life. He deserves to be here not me." Alx removed her hands to reveal teary eyes. Her round face red as a tomato.

What an actress, Bristle thought.

Bristle heard the sound of a chair screech. The clicking of heels followed. Soon Bristle's mother came into view. She wrapped her short arms around Alx and began to pat her back.

Alx nodded her head, "It's just not fair, you know. That drunk bastard dies off without consequences," Alx's eyes landed on Bristle's, "can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me? I w-wore the shirt because I knew dad gave it to you. I wanted to feel his presence today. I should have asked."

Bristle contained her rage. All she wanted to do was smack that hidden smirk off Alx's face. Alx could never just fess up to her crimes, no she had to play the damn victim. Bristle knew once school was over for her, she'd be long gone from this place. Screw Alx and her victimizing lies.

"Bristle," her mother's voice went. It was a demanding one. That let Bristle know once again, she sided with Alx.

For as long as Bristle could remember her mother had always sided with Alx. Bristle was never pretty, social, talented, smart, or even feminine enough. Alx always came on top and it pissed Bristle off. More than anything.

"Fine. You're forgiven. Happy?" Bristle questioned.

Alx sadly rolled her eyes. "I will go take it off now."

"No, you're forgiven. Bristle was just being over reactant as always. You understand now, though, don't you?" Bristle's mother went.

Bristle only nodded, feeling her anger fume each passing second.

"Ladies, I know my brother wouldn't want you to mope. Why don't we just put this behind us, and enjoy this wonderful meal Alx set forth." Bristle's eyes shot to the speaker.

His black spiky hair gave him a cool dad look. Like her grandfather, his skin was a light pink pale skin tone. It was as if he never fully recovered from a sunburn. Those black square glasses gave him the ex con look. Even though he was not an ex convict, he was a reckless drunk.

Last time Bristle saw him, during Lei's situation, he showed up to the house extremely drunk. For the week he did stay, all he did was drink and lounge around. He use to be fun, but during that time it was as if something was hunting him. Her father kicked him out after a big fallen out. Bristle never knew what the cause of it was...and never cared.

Alx wiped her teary eyes, "And you'll love it. Bris can you set the table?"

Curiously looking at the three, Bristle contemplated. Did she want to deal with Alx's factitious sob story or skip out on dinner. Beyond them, Bristle saw a clear view of her lonely treehouse. That was the only place she'd ever feel at home or free.

"Actually, I was just gonna ask for you to leave me left-overs. If you, you know, don't mind. I have a English paper to do." Bristle declined. She'd rather starve than put up with Alx's antics. She had had enough.

"Oh..right, I understand. School is a puller." Alx responded.

Bristle's muttered, "You would know."

When Alx first went off to college, she was overjoyed about her new found freedom. She constantly bragged about it on Facebook and Instagram. Soon Alx's grades were reflecting her joy for the freedom. Instead of taking a break, like their mother suggested, Alx continued to go and fail or drop classes. Her breaking point, more like escape according to Bristle, was when she met a guy. Alx dropped out of school three months after dating him.

For a while, it was going great for the two. They had their own place, were engaged, and even a child to come. Then as always, Alx's bad luck caught up with her. Alx had a miscarriage, then found her ex cheating on her, and he later broke up with her. Even worse he kicked her out of their house.  Now all Alx ever did was soak up the attention and get on Bristle's nerves. Bristle was determined to be the exact opposite of Alx. There was no way she was living in her mother's house if she did not have to.

Outside, Bristle heard the collective laughter of the three. Looking over her shoulders, Bristle wished she was more like them. Then they'd accept her, and she wouldn't worry about where the dinner conversations would stir. Since Bristle was not, she resulted to her tree house some nights and searched for snacks in it.

The sun had began to set, while Bristle made her way to the treehouse. The twelve year old treehouse still looked in tact. The once light blue roof was replaced by a seaweed green one. There was no other change on the outside. Bristle liked the minor change.

She opened the old wooden door, and was about to continue her way in it, but then stopped. Shrugging her backpack off, Bristle placed it in front of her, and opened the smallest pouch. Inside of there were pencils, pens, and crumbs from a variety of snacks. Bristle pulled out a black sharpie and walked to the door. She levelled her body to the door knob, and quickly found an empty space to write.

She was going to write about how Alx was the worst sister ever. Giving an effortless pull, the lid to the sharpie came off and Bristle pressed her hand to the door. Her eyes narrowed when she looked back outside.

"I want her to see it," Bristle smirked.

Walking to the opposite side of the door, Bristle's eyes scanned the door for an empty space. There was more space on the inside than out. Bristle was about to abort mission when she saw a very small area available at the very bottom. Squatting, Bristle positioned her body comfortably and thought of what to write.

"Dear Alx, you're a bitch," Bristle shook her head. "The word asshole derives from my unfortunate sister, Alx-no too cheesy...wait what?" Bristle's eyes blinked several times before zeroing in on what mind boggled her. "That's not possible."

Scratching her hair, Bristle dropped the sharpie and pulled out her phone from her pocket. There was no way that was possible. After taking the picture, Bristle surveyed it. It was identical. Leaning back on her butt, Bristle's skeptical look turned into a bug eyed one.

Tilting her head, Bristle read the unnoticed message again:

"I never tld u guys, bt while u were sleepn i took picz on my fone. ill have mom take me and print them out tomorrow. luvz ya!" Lei Thao Oct. 16th.

Bristle's eyes watered. The many possibilities that that one message just created. Not only did Bristle not know what to do with the new found information, but now she knew one thing for sure: Lei had an alibi.

Forgetting her previous mission, Bristle stood up and made her way into the treehouse. Shutting the door behind her, she grimly smiled at her worn out couch. Five quick steps was all it took before she tumbled onto the couch.

She knew what was coming. The guilt. The shame. Bristle felt it all weigh on her. Her teary eyes looked off to the secluded area. Bristle would sit there when she thought about Lei, but not today. No, today was different. It dawned on her that she had completely given up on an innocent Lei. It was not fair what happened to her, and furthermore Bristle was not a good friend.

"There was never a tomorrow for her," she cried.

For the rest of the night, all Bristle did was sob about her old friend. Before going to sleep she did realize she had to do something. Even if she failed, or receives no help from anyone, Lei deserved to be fought for. This time, Bristle was determined to free Lei.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 68.9K 38
"One kiss won't hurt, right? Just one, I promise" He whispered holding my face. "It's wrong" I said. I knew I was just lying to myself. "I've waite...
2.9K 430 28
[BOOK 1] "Maybe, this trip together was a huge mistake." A group of friends survived the ups and downs of Senior year in high school. Now, the start...
Dear Diary By Tyree

Mystery / Thriller

2.1M 2.6K 44
Sidney Cromwell--the teenage gossip queen. She loved a juicy secret, especially those she could exploit to her own benefit. So when she's found murde...
149K 2.6K 27
Sequel to: The Gang Leader Meats His Mafia Father- In- Law ___________________ You need to read the first story to understand this story :) ________...