Model in Disguise

By VVJohans

“A pretty face can be the deadliest weapon.” A spy like her is a queen of disguises. This girl is someone who... More

A. Copyright
1. Invisibility
2. As Expected
3. The Project
4. On Carter Street
5. And the Truth Will Out
6. Cards on the Table
7. Becoming Rachel Williams
8. Meet the Partners
9. Amateur Agent
10. Roommates
11. Lose One Friend, Gain Another
12. Smile Academy Cherubim
13. For Better or Worse
14. Caught Red-Handed
15. Following Orders
16. Learning New Things
17. Backup
18. Into the Past
19. Reinforcements
20. Class Dismissed
21. To Each His Own
22. Backed Into a Corner
23. The Announcement
24. Trouble in Paradise
25. Jeffrey Lin
26. Insomnia
27. Reunited
28. Room 416
29. Rising Suspicions
30. Finding a Lead
31. Withholding Information
32. One and the Same
34. Rachel Harris

33. The Posture Class

2.2K 128 30
By VVJohans

Dedicated to: elise_fitzmaurice074

That was a beautiful heartfelt speech. ;__; c:
It's reading stuff like that that makes me want to write. Thanks for your feedback! You rock.

                    *           *           *

       33. The Posture Class
       Date: September 16th

I stare at the clock watching seconds turn into minutes and minutes turn into hours. I wring my hands nervously, my eyes never leaving the little gold dots on the black clock that hangs on the wall in front of me.

       Finally, three knocks sound at the door. I take a deep breath and fluff up my hair before walking over. After one last look in the mirror on the wall I open the door, and with my right eyebrow raised, I state, "You're late."

       Alex mimics my expression. "I'm never late. Your clock," he says, stepping around me and into the room, "is clearly broken."

       I close the door behind him and smile. "I guess all the clocks in the city are broken because they all say the same thing."

       "I guess so." Still smiling, I turn around to find Alex only inches away from me. But Alex isn't smiling. He's looking at me with this look on his face, that look he gets from time to time, and his green eyes are staring right into mine. "Rachel."

       His voice's playful tone has changed into a deeper one.

       "Alex," I whisper back.

       He steps closer to me, and the dim lighting in the room casts a light on his golden blond hair that draws my attention. "I know we have work to do, but . . ."

       There's barely any distance between us now.

       His eyes are mesmerizing. "But what?" I ask breathlessly.

       "There's something I need to do first."

       Slowly, second by second, Alex's head lowers towards mine. I stand entirely still. My eyes watch his and his hand finds mine, and his lips are so close━

I jolt awake at seven o'clock in the morning.

       Alex is staring at me from where he lays on my right, and I jump away from him, falling off the bed and taking my blanket with me.

       "Are you okay?" he asks me. His voice is rough from having just woken up.

       I push myself off the floor and stumble away from the bed. "Yeah, yes, I'm fine." I can feel his eyes on my back as he continues to stare at me. Uncomfortable, I try to distract him from my own embarrassment. "Alex, it's seven o'clock and you didn't wake me up. We're late."

       "We're never late," he says, grinning at me. "Clearly the school's clock is wrong."

       On my way out of the room I trip over my own feet and fall flat on my face.

       "Are you sure you're okay?"

       For the second time I push myself off the floor and finally turn back to look at Alex, who is sitting up on his bed.

       Without a shirt on.

       "Alex you're not wearing a shirt. You should be wearing a shirt. We should always be fully clothed. DId you go to sleep like that? In your bed? Next to me?"

       His eyebrows pull together in confusion but there's a smile on his face. "Yes."

        "Well, you, I━ you can't do that. You can't━ you should always be fully clothed." But I'm hardly talking to Alex. I'm speaking to his six pack.

       "Rachel, you're acting weird."

       I turn around and close my eyes for a moment before opening them and walking out of the room. "I'm late. For class."

       I close the door behind me. Leaning my back against it, I take a deep breath, try to regain the composure Alex stole from me, and walk away.

The next time I sit in the same room as Alex I am determined not to look at him. Any contact with Alex will get rid of all my focus. I sit in a desk in the front of the classroom and he sits in the back.

       As Rachel Williams, I am enrolled in a class called Introduction to the Fashion Experience. Each student attending a year in Smile Academy is required to take at least two classes based on the area of profession they are interested in.

       A modeling class sounds ridiculous on its own but the name for this one is somewhat decent. Except no one calls this class by its actual name.

       Most students in Smile Academy know it to be called "the posture class".

       "No, no, no," says an old, high-pitched voice with a British accent. "You are not following the instructions. Try it again, but this time stand tall and tilt your head upwards a little bit more."

       Mrs. Dunbar is the reason this class is called "the posture class". She's really supposed to teach about the modeling experience in general. Instead she chooses to teach about etiquette, and how to walk down a runway.

       Naturally, no one takes her seriously.

       After all it is only a half-year course.

       Mrs. Dunbar smoothes out her white hair and gestures for Leah to stop. "That'll have to do for now, Leah," she says, a smile on her face. But this smile resembles one that someone would see on a Barbie doll. Plastic and fake.

       An unimpressed Leah walks back towards her seat, making sure to go the extra mile to ensure she won't pass by my desk. I focus in on Leah, intrigued. Is it possible that she feels guilty for turning Alex and I in to the police?

       She must actually have feelings, then.

       Sometime while I'm looking at Leah, Mrs. Dunbar's smile becomes real. There's an excited gleam in her eye as she says, "Class, there is something I'd like to bring to your attention." She stares out at all the students in the classroom like a queen looking over her people.

       If three quarters of the queen's people were snoring.

       Mrs. Dunbar seems to overestimate the attention span of the students in the classroom, because she pulls out this sheet of paper and holds it up for me and about five other kids to see. The other five kids are drawing on their tablets in boredom, and I examine my nails.

       There's a moment of silence.

       Then, a loud bang sounds throughout the classroom. Everyone jolts awake and some kid in the front of the room falls out of his desk. I look up with a tired expression to find a still smiling Mrs. Dunbar toying with the cover of the textbook she just dropped onto her desk.

       She clears her throat and folds her hands together. "Yes, as I was saying. There is an annual event in the first semester of every year called Model Mayhem. Each year this event is organized and coordinated by one chosen grade level, based on the number of students and their qualifications within the class. This year that chosen grade level happens to be yours.

       "Model Mayhem is one of the biggest events of the school year, and the main event of your first semester. I trust that you will all take this seriously. It is a small insight into the world that each and every one of you is asking to be put into."

       As she walks by my desk, Mrs. Dunbar rips the headphones from the ears of the guy sitting next to me.

       "And, also," she says, her tone going deeper, "throughout the night, you will be graded on your efforts in every required area of your course of study. Do not take this lightly."

       Mrs. Dunbar has finally managed to get the majority of the students to listen to her, and that same smile has now become a smug one. "Any quest━"

       "Mrs. Dunbar?" interrupts a deep male voice. Just as she has finally obtained our attention, a familiar face pops in through the classroom door. "You called for me?"

       I sit forward in my desk immediately, staring at the doorway before finally glancing at Alex who seems to be just as shocked as I am.

       Mrs. Dunbar turns toward the door herself, seemingly a little peeved at the interruption. "Well, Felix, I am actually in the midst of teaching a class━"

       "Hi, Mr. Howard!"

       Mrs. Dunbar blinks at the student who has just spoken and opens her mouth to say something, only to be interrupted again.

       "You're back!"

       "Weren't you arrested?"

       "I knew you were innocent."

       "Are you still single?"

       "So is Mr. Masters coming back, or . . .?"

       I roll my eyes. The poor old teacher in the front of the classroom has given up on trying to regain the attentions of the students and sits down to begin grading papers.

       Mr. Howard steps into our classroom, a knowing smile on his handsome face. "Well I'm not entirely sure what exactly I'm supposed to answer," he says, sliding his hands into his pockets. "But yeah, it's nice to see you all too."

                    *           *           *

It's been 10 months since I uploaded . . .

Wow. Crazy. I know.

So for half of that time I was without laptop. (-_________-)

And for the other half I just had severe writer's' block.

I kind of lost my inspiration to write for a while.

I know I told you guys a long time ago that I lost someone in my immediate family, but to be completely honest I think I underestimated how much I would change after losing such a big part of my life.

I tried pretending I was the same but I wasn't and I'm not. I'm a different person than I was when I first started this book.

I don't think I'll ever be the same person and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

But I'm not giving up on this yet, because writing used to be a way I could express myself and let out all the creativity that I didn't know what to do with.

Hopefully I can get back to that.

Well. Anyway. On a happier note, I'm on summer vactionnnnnn! c:

So someone should buy me a trip to a Caribbean island and then pay for the flight. o.o

Dedications will be given as usual, so comment, people! ANd point out any mistakes.

P.S. What'd you guys think of Rachel's dream?  c;

'AwesomelyBlaze

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.6K 4.4K 63
Gabriela Sullivan was sixteen years old back then when her father was killed. Their number one rival, the Fitzgerald family is one of her primary su...
366 102 43
DISGUISE. People disguise in many ways......... some pretend to be friendly with you while they are plotting your murder in their head. they disguise...
90 0 13
Emma is an average student. She gets good grades and is in a few clubs. She has her life planned out for the future. After high school she'll go to c...
507K 23.3K 26
"Whoa, Sawyer, your fucking pants are red, man." The color drained from my face and I tried to recall the last time I had my period. "Dude, are you...