33. The Posture Class

Dedicated to: elise_fitzmaurice074

That was a beautiful heartfelt speech. ;__; c:
It's reading stuff like that that makes me want to write. Thanks for your feedback! You rock.

                    *           *           *

       33. The Posture Class
       Date: September 16th

I stare at the clock watching seconds turn into minutes and minutes turn into hours. I wring my hands nervously, my eyes never leaving the little gold dots on the black clock that hangs on the wall in front of me.

       Finally, three knocks sound at the door. I take a deep breath and fluff up my hair before walking over. After one last look in the mirror on the wall I open the door, and with my right eyebrow raised, I state, "You're late."

       Alex mimics my expression. "I'm never late. Your clock," he says, stepping around me and into the room, "is clearly broken."

       I close the door behind him and smile. "I guess all the clocks in the city are broken because they all say the same thing."

       "I guess so." Still smiling, I turn around to find Alex only inches away from me. But Alex isn't smiling. He's looking at me with this look on his face, that look he gets from time to time, and his green eyes are staring right into mine. "Rachel."

       His voice's playful tone has changed into a deeper one.

       "Alex," I whisper back.

       He steps closer to me, and the dim lighting in the room casts a light on his golden blond hair that draws my attention. "I know we have work to do, but . . ."

       There's barely any distance between us now.

       His eyes are mesmerizing. "But what?" I ask breathlessly.

       "There's something I need to do first."

       Slowly, second by second, Alex's head lowers towards mine. I stand entirely still. My eyes watch his and his hand finds mine, and his lips are so close━

I jolt awake at seven o'clock in the morning.

       Alex is staring at me from where he lays on my right, and I jump away from him, falling off the bed and taking my blanket with me.

       "Are you okay?" he asks me. His voice is rough from having just woken up.

       I push myself off the floor and stumble away from the bed. "Yeah, yes, I'm fine." I can feel his eyes on my back as he continues to stare at me. Uncomfortable, I try to distract him from my own embarrassment. "Alex, it's seven o'clock and you didn't wake me up. We're late."

       "We're never late," he says, grinning at me. "Clearly the school's clock is wrong."

       On my way out of the room I trip over my own feet and fall flat on my face.

       "Are you sure you're okay?"

       For the second time I push myself off the floor and finally turn back to look at Alex, who is sitting up on his bed.

       Without a shirt on.

       "Alex you're not wearing a shirt. You should be wearing a shirt. We should always be fully clothed. DId you go to sleep like that? In your bed? Next to me?"

       His eyebrows pull together in confusion but there's a smile on his face. "Yes."

        "Well, you, I━ you can't do that. You can't━ you should always be fully clothed." But I'm hardly talking to Alex. I'm speaking to his six pack.