Disclosed Truce

By ChanytheWoods

She was taken away from them four years ago, ending their inseparable friendship. Now after all those years... More

Before You Read
Prologue
The Incident
Free Our Friend
Known By Association
Her Secret Plans
What Friends Are For
I'll Fight For You This Time
Determination
Freeing Lei
The First Note
Secrets
Before It's Too Late
They're Connected
Harvets
Anxiety
At All Cost
Michelle
It Was A Man
One Hell of a Surprise
Strange Visits
Make the Decision

Tree House Slumber

200 27 24
By ChanytheWoods

Bristle Millain quickly shut the patio door, before rushing to the fence and opening it. On the other end was darkness, and her neighbor across the street having a smoke. She lowered to the ground, hoping he didn't spot her. Everyone in her neighborhood-town, knew everyone, so he would surely let her parents know he saw her out at ten o'clock at night. Resulting in Bristle being chastised.

The man took three more puffs, before flicking the cigarette into the yard. He stretched his arms out wide, taking a step to his three step staircase. Bristle groaned, he couldn't stay outside. She needed to make sure no one spotted her friends.

Smiling, Bristle thought of something. Scooting closer to the fence, Bristle pulled out her flip phone, then dialed Mr. Harris' number. Of course she pressed star six seven. Peeking over, while her phone rang in ear, she watched as it didn't take long for his phone to ring to life.

Mr. Harris pulled his phone from his pocket. She could see the clear hesitation, but he answered anyways.

With a roll of her tongue and five years of YouTube, Bristle used her best Latin accent, "Mr. Harris, due to recent burglaries," Bristle smirked to herself, "we are advising our residents to double check locking all windows and doors."

A pause. Longer than Bristle preferred. "And you're calling from where?"

She could say across the street, in their town Chesterland, or her favorite choice: "Why Mexico, sir."

Deep laughter erupted. "This is USA. How do you people find my number anyhow?" Mr. Harris disconnected the call, then placed his phone in his pocket.

His head swung in Bristle's direction. Her body flew back, causing her to land on the damp ground. Great, just great.

Afraid to move, she clutched her breath, halting movements. Her forehead began to heat, the urge to wipe at it and bite her nails became overwhelming, yet she kept still. Few moments passed with no signs of Mr. Harris' awareness of Bristle's deviance.

Her gloved hands posed her body upward, as she peeped beside the fence.

To her relief, he was no longer outside.

The night sky's beauty was no match to the cool air that came with it. Of course she'd wet her clothes on a wintry November night. It wouldn't be her if she executed a plan with no flaws. There was always a setback with me, Bristle thought.

Her body shivered, reminding her of how cold it was. Tucking her sandy blond hair under her blue and pink wool hat, Bristle scanned the quiet neighborhood. The street lights showed only a few cars parked at the curbs. Most lights were on.

It was the beginning of Thanksgiving break. Most people were probably preparing for their vacation or just enjoying a week away from school. She didn't blame them.

Six houses down a small figure emerged. Instead of feeling fear, Bristle's chapped lips split into a delighted smile.

The person hustled down the sidewalk, shoes making an echoed sound. As they neared, Bristle's body trembled from excitement and being cold.

Their secret slumber party was a go.

When the figure drew close enough, Bristle's feet slapped against the concrete as she rushed to her friend.

"Thank God you're here. I was about to die of coldness," she examined her close friend, shaking her head, "of course you'd be the one to wear overalled ski pants...got an extra one?"

Bristle's friend, Michelle Bachlee, rolled her eyes, "Well it is cold out here. I have an extra coat, too. Mom always said it's never a bad thing to be extra prepared, better packed than sorry," her dark brown eyes examined Bristle, widening when getting to the lower half, "you're wet."

"You don't say. Mr. Harris almost saw me, so I took a dive into the grass. I'll be fine." Bristle explained, though her eyes darted from Michelle's.

When she looked up Bristle could tell Michelle wasn't buying it. It was confirmed when Michelle tugged off her coat and unstrapped her oversized ski pants, handing them both to Bristle. Her now exposed long sleeve pink shirt and fury Dora pajama pants began shaking.

Michelle shrugged her black backpack off, and searched it. Within seconds, Michelle yanked yet another winter coat. This one was red with extra fur on the hooded part. Just as quickly, as she took her winter coat off, she pulled the red one over her arms.

"I know if you complain, just even once, someone will give you the hypocrite card. In specification, Shelby and Cammi," Michelle, just like Bristle did, crammed her armpit length, jet black in her brown and blue wool hat, "so here's me being a friend."

Bristle smiled, while they walked to her quiet backyard."What would I do without you? Thank God for those five years of Bachlee friendship torture," when Michelle scoffed, Bristle smirked, "kidding, totally kidding."

Above the two, muffled voices grew louder and louder. Smacking her forehead, Bristle shook it. Her cheeks turned a rosy color, as her face heated yet again.

"Let's just wait for the girls at the treehouse," Bristle said, grabbing ahold of Michelle's arm and tugging it forward.

"Wait, is that-"

"Oh my God, your parents are up there doing it, while you're being a rebel, this is sweet!" a feminine voice rejoiced.

Both Michelle and Bristle faced a pencil thin, leaned frame girl in a black winter coat and pink themed pajamas. Her bra length hair resting at her sides, as she giggled loudly. Both arms held onto her stomach as if it were the funniest thing ever.

Bristle's already heated cheeks, intensified at the scene, while the voices continued. She frowned at her house before stalking away, "Fine, get caught Lei. It was your stupid idea anyway."

Lei Thao, her best friend as well. Another girl also attending the sleepover. She planned it, while Bristle's bright idea was to have it in her treehouse. A decision Bristle regretted, for obvious reasons.

"Oh, that's just gross," Michelle said after a few seconds.

Before Bristle made it to the wooden steps, Lei rushed to her side. She wrapped an arm around Bristle's neck, "Calm down, calm down. You've heard my parents before. Besides when I leave tomorrow, you'll miss me. All of you will. Vietnam isn't America's cousin."

The three girls hurried up the steps into Bristle's warm tree house. The treehouse was midnight dark, as planned the trio gathered their candles, lanterns, and flashlights. Placing each in a random place of the small tree house, the girls began lighting the house light by light. Soon it was fully lit enough for them to navigate around, without bumping into something or one another.

Afterwards, Michelle and Lei began turning on the wireless heaters, while Bristle looked out the window just in time to see her parents' bedroom light being shut off. Her body shuddered at the visual image that had came to mind.

"Hey Bris, I know you like seeing headboards being broken and all, but why don't you come over here and give us some body heat." Lei called.

Bristle took a deep breath, before looking over her shoulders, and replying, "It's because I'm fat, isn't it?"

It wasn't a secret that Bristle had a little more weight on her, than the rest of her friends. She was a twelve year old that weighed in at 150 lb. The thing was though, Bristle was a skinny kid up until fourth grade, then the weight just kept coming and coming. She didn't know how to stop it.

Lei fanned her, "Not this again. I can't reply to fat comments. Besides out of all of us, you scored a boyfriend."

Bristle's frown turned into a blushing smile. Lei was right, Bristle was the only one in her group of friends to have a boyfriend. But if only they knew it was so boring and all they ever did was talk about TV shows. She wanted a relationship like the ones seen on TV.

After taking a seat on her sleeping bag, between Michelle and Lei, the girls listened as Lei went over how excited she was about going to Vietnam. "Since our plane leaves at two, but I have parents that get up before the sun declares it's a freaking new day, I should go home at least by like five."

Bristle nodded agreeing. She knew how early Lei's parents woke up at times. They one time woke up at three a.m. for a month straight preparing for a marathon.

Rocking her body from side to side, bumping shoulders with both girls, she felt warmth from her movements. "Sounds perfect, thank God I am literally one-two-three steps away from my house."

Lei sucked her teach, rolling her eyes, "Don't remind us, braggy."

Bristle laughed then scooted closer to Lei, her sandy blond hair falling out of the hat. Trying to hide her obvious cold estate, she offered Lei some of her purple cover. While Lei was shifting her body underneath the cover, Bristle's eyes landed on Michelle, lighting in humor.

Michelle was busying herself with clumsily fiddling around in her two blankets. Her body awkwardly angled towards Bristle. Shoving her gloved hands into her blanket, she smiled in delight.

Bristle notice how Michelle picked up her phone every few seconds, or looked at the curtain windows, it was obvious she regretted ever agreeing to attending the sleepover. She would not be in the predicament if she did not allow Shelby convince her to go. Wildly kicking her feet for comfort, Michelle's black boot connected with one of the heaters. It made a low thud when it hit the floor.

"Chelle, I don't care if you freeze to death, pick that up." Lei fussed.

Michelle rolled her eyes, "Fine, fine." She bent over onto her hands and knees, then slowly crawled to the heater. With hesitation, Michelle reached for the heater, then quickly sat it right side up. She rushed back to Bristle's side, snuggling closely.

"Michelle calm down," Bristle said, allowing Michelle to basically sit on her.

"Oh shut it, Bris. We both know you're damn cold." Lei smirked.

Michelle's eyes went wide, "You know, Lei, I never understood how your parents were comfortable with you saying bad words. I'm not even comfortable with it."

Bristle giggled, "They're not. Lei is not that tough. She's just clever."

Lei nodded in agreement. "You so get me." The three girls chuckled.

The sound of outside laughter, made Bristle forget about her current cold estate. She stiffly sat upright, and looked to the door. When the laughing closed in, she began to panic. Her soft eyes landed on Lei, who only shrugged.

"It's probably Cammi and Shelby. You know how those two are," Lei suggested.

Rising to her feet, Bristle hastened to the old door, swinging it open. Walking up the steps was her friend Shelby Tenzington. She wore three scarves, two hats, a pair of earmuffs, and large winter coat. What was missing from that picture was Shelby's exposed hands not being covered.

Shaking her head, Bristle spoke in a low tone, "Did you forget that I mentioned to come quietly..." staring off into the night, "where's Cammi? I know you two do everything together."

Shelby pointed behind her, "Talking to her cute brother. She's making sure he covers her butt," Shelby looked into the tree house, "anyone happen to have an extra pair of gloves?"

From behind, Michelle yelled, "I do! See, Lei, told you packing extra is worth it!"

Rolling her eyes, Bristle sent Michelle a death stare, "Oh great, now that we have the noise joining us, we're going to definitely get caught. Our parents are going to bust this whole operation."

Quietly Michelle said, "Oh, sorry."

Shelby patted Bristle's back, passing her, "Relax Bris, you've clearly been watching way too much Law and Order. Alright Michelle, be a gentle kind person and gimme the gloves."

Shelby rushed to Michelle's side, shrugging her bag off, and taking Bristle's seat. Bristle watched as Michelle pulled a green pair of gloves out, handing them to a happy Shelby. After Shelby put them back on, Bristle looked back outside.

A faint shadow walked a small circle, with a low voice, Bristle heard Cammi laughing and talking.

"Hey, you wanna close that door before you kill us of hypothermia," Shelby commented.

Nodding, Bristle shut the door and rejoined the group, after forcing Shelby to move out of her spot. Across from Bristle, Shelby yanked off her hat sending her wild curls everywhere. Bristle had always wanted Shelby's hair to see what it felt like. Her hair was thin, flat, and boring, while Shelby's was full of life. Her natural curls complimented her small, round face well, also bringing out her big green eyes.

Shelby and Lei were busy at making jokes about some of the kids at their school, while Bristle and Michelle discussed their plans for Thanksgiving.

"So like, you never celebrated Thanksgiving?" Bristle questioned, baffled.

Michelle shook her head, "Nope."

"So what do you do then?"

Michelle smiled, "Same as you, give thanks for family and ancestors. I just don't celebrate it in the name of Thanksgiving because it's a big lie."

Shelby snickered, "Tell us why you don't."

Michelle smiled as if she hit the jackpot, "Because what those pilgrims did to my people was far from anything I'd ever thank them for. History books lie lie lie, and I'm not subject to believing them...mom gave me the rundown, so even if I marry a white guy I'm still not allowed."

Bristle narrowed her eyes. She couldn't believe Michelle wasn't allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving, furthermore didn't want to. What also bugged Bristle was the fact that Michelle was going to continue that because her mom told her so. It was stupid to her.

A knock at the door interrupted their conversation. Whoever it was didn't wait for acknowledgement, "Did you guys miss me?"

Cammi Stuerdice rushed in, shutting the door behind her. Throwing a large black bag at the girls, a few snacks fell out. "Treats everyone." She unrolled her pink and yellow sleeping bag, placing it next to Lei and Shelby, then sat on it.

"What did your brother want?" Shelby asked.

Cammi smirked, "Making sure I made it safely. And no worries Bris, I put my phone on your patio."

Whenever they a sleepover, the girls had a no technology rule, Lei had came up with it. They agreed that technology was a big distraction, and didn't want any interruptions on their girl time.

"I'm sorry, but your brother is so cute! Ugh, why does he have to be so irresistible?" Shelby groaned.

Cammi laughed, "Blame our Italian genetics. Nobody in my family is ugly."

Shelby replied, "Yeah, I'm half Dominican, aren't we like the same thing?"

Cammi only shook her head, turning her attention to the snacks. Her dark brown eyes scanned her snack bag. Both Shelby and she were responsible for providing snacks and drinks, and boy did she come prepared. Her thick, brown brows furrowed as she contemplated what to get. Cammi shrugged her shoulders and picked a brownie and donut stick. Showing the snacks in each girl's direction, she offered the rest of the group some, but they all hurried and denied.

Huddling closer to the wireless heater, Shelby shivered, clattering her teeth together, "Next time it says low of thirty, we cancel. We can have a freaking Skype slumber party and be warm."

The four girls all gave a stiff laugh.

Michelle removed her favorite, rainbow colored blanket from around her, and reached for her pink mug, "Ag-greed. At-at least no school tomorrow."

Shelby laughed in response, "But school is freaking warm, Michelle. Look at ya, can't even say your words right without sounding like some retard."

Michelle quickly lowered the mug from her lips, yelling, "Hey!"

That caused more laughter to erupt in the tiny treehouse.

In front of the girls laid five flashlights and two lamps. Also in the midst of that was nothing, but snacks, their hot chocolate filled mugs, accompanied by two boxes of Caprisuns. Whenever the girls gather, they came prepared.

Around them was a worn out couch that Bristle's parents gave her almost a year ago. The three windows were sheltered by light pink and purple sheets. Most of the wooden floor was covered by their sleeping bags and a black carpet. A lot of the walls were coated with pictures and paintings by all of them. Bristle wanted it to feel like a second home for everyone. Over the years that is what the treehouse became, their safe haven.

Even though the girls hung out everyday. They were truly inseparable, but a common fear amongst them arose. In their brief silence, the five pondered on that sensitive subject. The sound of the leaves smacking against the treehouse filled their ears, the smell of chocolate held their smell, and the thought of high school consumed their mind.

Bristle rammed her covered legs together, "Okay, so I'll say it..." the other girls gazed at their friend with curiosity. Bristle took a deep breath before continuing, "what if high school seperates us? Alx use to be best friends with Velma, and now they hate one enough-each other. High school can destroy us. It's like the devil took building form."

No one said anything just stared at one another. Lei bit her lower lip, until she let it loose, cackling. "That's absurd. No offense, but your sister is a complete drama queen, and Velma turned out to be a junky. In other words their friendship's doom was inevitable. Ours is not."

Michelle nodded her head then cocked it to the side, "Well what if you become a junky? Then what?"

In the background, Shelby gave a low whistle. The group proudly proclaimed her an instigator. If Shelby could ignite an argument, she very much so would. Ever since all five have been friends, Shelby had always stirred up some drama. Bristle didn't expect her to change anytime soon.

Lei placed her gloved hand over her sheltered chest, "Did you just call me a junky?"

Shelby leaned over onto Lei's shoulder, putting her lips close to Lei's face, "I think she did." Shelby moved away, rocking back and forth.

Cammi rolled her eyes, "Now Shel how are you gonna say that? Everyone knows Michelle was referring to you. If anything Lei will just be the one selling you the junk."

Shelby lowered her eyes, sending Cammi a death stare. A smirk soon appeared as she kicked her leg from underneath her, "I have one word for you."

Everyone scooted closer anxiously awaiting Shelby's one word.

Shelby confidently looked around, and stopped her gaze on Cammi. She leaned further in, and whispered in a chilly voice, "Touche."

Before anyone could react to the silliness, Michelle screamed her head off. "Stop! You know what spontaneous yells do to me! You guys know I'm scared of just about everything."

"Yeah, well not my parents catching us," Bristle fussed.

Lei laughed at the side of her, "Oh I don't think they'll be checking on us," she smirked at all the girls, "Bristle's parents were doing it!"

"Ew!" Michelle shrieked.

Cammi and Shelby bursted into laughing, rolling over one another. Soon the jokes came from everyone. Bristle laughed a few, not even getting offended anymore. Those were her girls and nothing was going to ever break them up, nor was some harmless jokes.

For the rest of the night, the five chatted, joked around, and played I Spy, forgetting not only the chilly weather, but also the fear of breaking up in high school. They all just figured they were being overdramatic, and their friendship will remain until their elderly days.

The next day, Lei woke to being practically smushed between Cammi and Bristle. Before they all fell asleep, they decided it was best to make one big sleeping bag. Even though the previous night, Lei had enough space to breathe, she felt like Bristle's weight was going to kill her at any given moment.

"Hey get off me," Lei said giving Bristle a hard shove.

Considering the fact that Bristle was not a hard sleeper, she easily woke up, annoyed of course. Bristle smacked her hands on the soft blanket, covering her body. Through her messy sandy blonde hair, Bristle sent Lei a scold. "What the crap, Lei?"

Sitting up, Bristle roughly pushed her straight hair out of her tan face. Briefly, she rubbed the crudded sleep out of her eyes, but kept her focus on Lei. "What are you doing up so early?"

Lei covered her mouth, holding back her morning breath, "I've been up basically all freakin night. Couldn't get any sleep for some reason." A worried expression appeared, "You think my parents found out I was not in my room, and did something totally, drastically crazy?"

Bristle laid back down, scooting close to Lei. She turned on her side to face Lei, propping her head up with hand, using the support of her elbow, "I doubt it. My parents would have came out here and said something. Plus, you did leave the snore record, right?"

Lei nodded, "I'm Lei not Cammi. I was extra cautious." Looking around at the peaceful sleeping girls, Lei still felt uneasy. "Get some sleep. I'm just gonna go home, so I don't get in trouble."

Bristle gave a doleful expression. "Are you sure? It won't be the same waking up without ya."

"Yeah I'm sure." Lei took her time removing the two layers of blankets from over her. Once she was completely exposed the cool, morning breeze, she shivered a bit. Turning to face the sleeping bag, she decided against taking it. Mainly because Cammi's body was on it.

Lei stood, carefully walking to the entrance of the treehouse. Before she opened the wooden door, Lei turned back to Bristle, "Alx is so wrong for calling you weak. You almost killed me. Maybe you should lay on her for a few minutes, and see if her opinion doesn't change."

Bristle immediately beamed at her best friend's half compliment. Lei meant no harm it, and Bristle knew that. The only person Lei intended on being rude to was Alx, Bristle's catty older sister. Lei did not understand the cold relationship between the two, mainly because she and her brother had one of the best relationships as siblings.

Lei quietly opened the door, tip toeing out. And just like that she was gone.

                                                                               ♀♀♀♀♀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260K 5.6K 43
"I loved you like there was no tomorrow yet you left like yesterday didn't mean a thing" All my life I wished for was a family .A happy home to come...
Dear Diary By Tyree

Mystery / Thriller

2.1M 2.6K 44
Sidney Cromwell--the teenage gossip queen. She loved a juicy secret, especially those she could exploit to her own benefit. So when she's found murde...
974K 31.1K 80
Being alone? Check. Being afraid? Check. Being abused? Check times 3. Honestly, my life wasn't this bad before, not until I ended in foster care... S...
680 30 8
Who knew faking seeing ghosts could send me straight to hell? Literally. One moment I was in my shop, minding my business, and the next a crazy wing...