Roses & Thorns

By number1BTSfan

"Nothing in life is a bed of roses." "But roses have thorns too." The nation's pride, a sophisticated fencer... More

Roses & Thorns
Prologue
Chapter 001
Chapter 002
Chapter 003
Chapter 004
Chapter 005
Chapter 006
Chapter 007
Chapter 008
Chapter 009
Chapter 010
Chapter 011
Chapter 012
Chapter 013
Chapter 014
Chapter 015
Chapter 016
Chapter 017
Chapter 018
Chapter 019
Chapter 020
Chapter 021
Chapter 022
Chapter 023
Chapter 024
Chapter 025
Chapter 026
Chapter 027
Chapter 028
Chapter 030
Chapter 031
Chapter 032
Chapter 033
Chapter 034
Chapter 035
Chapter 036

Chapter 029

60 8 13
By number1BTSfan

"Cute bag. Wait, is that mine?" Yun-jae did a double take at Beomgyu who was fixing his hair using the mirror in the hallway. He glanced down at the messenger bag that was slung across his body, resting on his waist. He shrugged, not really caring that much. She used his things all the time, and Yun-Jae has been rotting away at home anyway.

"How's college applications? Do you have any friends, you've been staying home this whole time," Beomgyu hummed as he walked to the fridge, dismissing Yun-Jae's question. Yun-Jae whined, stretching her body as Beomgyu raised an eyebrow at his weird younger sister.

"I'm too lazy to go out, and I don't have that many friends anyway. I was supposed to go out with Yuna but she's been busy with college, her boyfriend and her brother so it's on an indefinite hiatus now," Yun-Jae shared, turning the tv off just to grab her phone and start scrolling through social media.

"How about that guy you were talking to?" Beomgyu asked, putting the cup to his lips after pouring himself a glass of cold water. Yun-Jae hummed, showing disinterest in what he had to say.

"Oh him? He's not really my type, and too many people have a crush on him. It's so hard finding a cute, nice guy who's not popular." Yun-Jae sighs dramatically, putting a hand over her forehead. Beomgyu shook his head at his exaggerating sister, putting the glass in his cup.

"How about we go out for dinner tonight? We haven't hung out in a long time," Beomgyu hummed as he walked over to the front door to put on his shoes, having been in the process of getting ready for work before he got caught up in a conversation with Yun-Jae.

"Sounds good. I'm going to the mall later, I need to do some shopping," Yun-Jae informed her brother. Although she was getting older, the habit of telling her brother her whereabouts have never really worn out. And Beomgyu was grateful for that.

"Sure. You have money?" Beomgyu asked, getting up after lacing his sneakers on tightly. She nodded her head lightly, putting up her hand to give him a wave as her eyes never left her phone as she viewed her friends' stories keenly. He returned the wave, although she couldn't see it, before rolling his eyes and pulling open the door, stepping out into the open.

He walked to the cafe nearby, headphones in as his hands rested on the strap of his messenger bag. He looked like a college student, with his baggy jeans and his casual plaid button up that was slightly oversized on him (it was Soobin's). Many eyes stared at him in adoration and awe, but he was used to it. He ignored it and walked forward, each step filled with a youthful bounce as the cafe was merely a few metres away.

"Good morning~" Beomgyu called out to all the workers as he stepped into the cafe that was still closed. His employees greeted him chirpily, and Beomgyu breathed in the fresh scent of baked goods with a content smile on his face. Mark and Eunbi were only going to come in in the afternoon, having an appointment to settle on the wedding cake in the morning.

"You look happy," One of Beomgyu's long-time part-timers commented, a sly smirk on his face. Beomgyu nudged the guy, who was born in the same year as him, playfully and they worked side by side to clean up the counter and arrange the baked goods on display.

"How's life? Got a girlfriend yet?" Beomgyu asked teasingly, knowing that the guy always had trouble sticking to one girl. He laughed lightly when the guy nudged him harshly, his cheeks blushing a faint red.

"Shut up. It's not like you have a girlfriend," Beomgyu bit back his smile after hearing the remark from the guy. Just in time, he heard his phone buzz at the back of his jean pocket. He reached for it, pulling it out to see a notification from Ryujin.

The part-timer looked at Beomgyu who walked away, typing away on his phone with the widest grin on his face. He shrugged it off, continuing to arrange the baked goods neatly before they opened.

Since it was a weekend, the morning was packed as customers streamed in, having heard of the cafe from many positive reviews on social media. Beomgyu maintained his smile, his happiness glowing as he communicated with his customers bubbly and enthusiastically.

The afternoon was worse. Eunbi and Mark clocked in, rushing to put on their aprons and name tags before helping with the tables and baked goods. The place was crowded, every table filled with customers.

Although it got quite stressful and stuffy, Beomgyu liked seeing so many people in his cafe. The soft buzz of chatter and the occasional laughter coming from happy customers often satisfied his heart, assuring himself that he chose the right job. He liked making people smile and was good at baking. It was an additional bonus that his mother had wanted to be a barista when she was younger too.

"Orders for table 19 and 23 are ready, can you help me deliver it?" Eunbi hummed as she swiftly picked up all the empty glasses and put them on her tray, addressing Beomgyu who was passing by her. He nodded as she lifted the tray, rushing to the kitchen after wiping down the table.

Beomgyu was always consistently impressed by Eunbi. His first part-time job was at a cafe, and Eunbi had mentored him. Efficiency should always be a top priority. The last thing we want is to deal with impatient and upset customers. Those were the first words of wisdom that Eunbi had bestowed on him on his first day.

Eunbi had always shown earnest effort and genuine attitude in serving and baking. Like Beomgyu, she enjoyed seeing people smile. She consistently spent her time perfecting recipes, introducing new ideas and recruiting the perfect part-timers. Without her, the cafe would surely be in shambles.

"Squeezing through, buddy." Mark gently presses a hand on Beomgyu's back, sliding past the guy to rush over to the customers that had been waiting to take their order. Beomgyu smiled, glancing at Mark who had adorned his same sweet smile, clicking his pen to take their orders.

Mark was another figure that Beomgyu looked up to. To be honest, Mark had never shown interest in the service industry, and certainly did not seem like the type to want to work in a cafe.

Beomgyu always thought Mark was driven by love to pick up this job. When he met Eunbi, anyone from a mile away could tell this guy was so in love with her. He was working in finance at that time, but Eunbi had encouraged him to pursue his love for music.

He continued his studies in finance until he graduated, but also picked up music at the side at Eunbi's enthusiastic support. He ended up helping to set up the cafe and now helps Beomgyu and Eunbi manage the cafe with them, learning along the way and discovering his love for the bustling atmosphere of the cafe.

Eunbi and Mark's love never died out, and now it was more evident with the shiny diamond ring donned on Eunbi's ring finger and the silver ring on Mark's own ring finger. Beomgyu would never admit it, but he was always jealous of their genuine and deep connection with one another.

The hours flew by as customers came in and out. The crowd was slowly dying out as the sun was slowly setting. Burnt out from a full day of serving people, Beomgyu was running low on energy as he remained hunched over the counter, watching over the few customers that were left in the cafe. It was mostly couples in there, and Beomgyu longed to spend time with Ryujin again.

His eyes darted to the front door hearing the bell above the door ring. His tired expression changed, a weak smile tugging on his lips seeing his younger sister enter the cafe. She wore a black-and-white striped sweater over her skirt, her knee socks keeping her legs warm as she showed off the pair of boots Beomgyu got for her after the exams.

"Where are we going to eat?" Yun-Jae hummed as she sat on one of the stools at the counter, rummaging through her bag for her phone to touch up her lip tint. Beomgyu hummed back in response, checking the time on his own phone.

"I was thinking we could go to the new pasta place that opened up nearby here?" Beomgyu suggested, and Yun-Jae nodded, not really having a specific craving. Beomgyu watched his sister's eyes train on her phone, applying her lip tint cautiously before smacking her lips together.

"Does it look okay? Even?" Yun-Jae asked as she looked up at Beomgyu. Beomgyu smiled softly, pressing his palms against the counter as he leaned against it. Yun-Jae looked a lot like their mother, and she had grown up so beautifully.

"It looks awful," Beomgyu deadpanned, before breaking out into a laugh at the way Yun-Jae's expression dropped, her eyes glaring with murderous attempt. Beomgyu cleared his throat, calming down as a customer came up to pay for her and her friends' meal.

"Your total will be 17,600 won. Cash or credit?" Beomgyu looked up from the cashier, giving a small smile to the girl that stood before him. She handed over her card wordlessly, and Beomgyu accepted it politely.

"By any chance, can I have your number?..." The girl nervously spoke up. Both Beomgyu and Yun-Jae looked up from what they were doing, similar expressions of shock on their face.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." Beomgyu awkwardly scratches the nape of his neck, not really knowing how to reject the girl. However, she got the hint, and with a deep blush coating her cheeks, she took back her card and the receipt before running outside after choking out a meek thank you.

"What was that?" Beomgyu tore his eyes away from the front door where the girl was excited hearing his sister talk. His sister looked dumbfounded, staring at Beomgyu as if he just made a grave mistake.

"What do you mean?" Beomgyu asked obliviously, clearing his throat as he fiddled with anything in front of him. Yun-Jae rolled her eyes, shaking her head at her idiotic older brother.

"She was your type! Why did you just turn it down? You are in dire need of a girlfriend," Yun-Jae tutted, looking back down at her phone before she can see Beomgyu's expression that would have definitely gave away the secret he was withholding from her.

"Hey, Yun-Jae! You look pretty as ever," Eunbi greeted as she pulled on her jacket, engulfing the younger in a friendly hug. Familiar with Eunbi, Yun-Jae responded with a hug of her own, her eyes lit up as a sweet smile carved on her lips. Mark fistbumps the younger girl as Eunbi turns to talk to Beomgyu.

"How was the wedding cake thing just now? Settled on something?" Beomgyu strikes conversation, and judging by the satisfied nod from Eunbi, she had found something she liked.

"Why doesn't Yun-Jae know about...you know?" Eunbi jerked her head in the direction of Yun-Jae, who was further away from the two as she conversed with Mark, excited to talk to him about a game they both played.

"Well, she's a celebrity and we told each other we wouldn't tell anyone else...I didn't know if it excluded family or not, I'm just playing it safe. And you know Yun-Jae, she's scary sometimes. I'm never going to hear the end of the teasing," Beomgyu reasoned, and Eunbi shook her head in disappointment.

"Sorry to interrupt, but me and Beomgyu have a dinner date awaiting us," Yun-Jae interjected after her stomach grumbled loud enough for it to reach her ears. She linked arms with Beomgyu, and Eunbi smiled fondly at the guy's younger sibling.

"That sounds great. Mark and I better start heading home, we have some more plans we want to settle," Eunbi shared as well, linking her own arm with Mark's, pulling him into the conversation. Mark nodded, a flash of tiredness in his eyes before it was replaced with the normal boyish glint.

"Good luck!" Beomgyu hummed, and after exchanging more pleasantries, Beomgyu and Yun-Jae walked out of the cafe to dinner, Beomgyu carrying Yun-Jae's handbag after her forcing him to do it.

"This looks promising," Yun-Jae hummed in interest as she glanced into the restaurant, tables filled with people in their mid-twenties. It seemed like a hot spot, but the duo managed to get a table for themselves.

"Get anything you want. I'll pay," Beomgyu hummed as he opened his own menu, his eyes scanning the options. Yun-Jae grinned at the offer, nodding happily before she chose the pasta she wanted to get.

Yun-Jae was in the middle of rambling about something to Beomgyu when their food came. It looked delicious, Beomgyu eyeing Yun-Jae's creamy pasta with a glint in his eyes.

"As I was saying, it was so shocking when I heard Bitna and Jinwoo broke up. They've been talking everyone's ear off, saying that they were going to marry each other and be with one another their whole life but I guess not," Yun-Jae scoffed before she stuffed a forkful of pasta into her mouth, her eyes widening at the hot, yummy pasta.

"Is it good?" Beomgyu asked after swallowing a mouthful of his. Yun-Jae nodded her head vigorously and Beomgyu couldn't help himself but poke his fork into the pasta and scoop a few strands, putting it into his mouth afterwards.

"Woah, that is really good," Beomgyu emphasised, his eyes widening, similarly to Yun-Jae. Yun-Jae nodded in agreement, moving to take another bite out of her more-than-satisfactory meal.

"Anyway, I'm still dumbfounded that you rejected that girl. Seriously, she's the embodiment of your unrealistic standards," Yun-Jae spoke up, and Beomgyu rolled his eyes as his sister brought up the topic again.

"You're seeing someone aren't you? Going out all the time, especially at night. Oh my god, that one time! You didn't come home all night! There's no way you're not seeing anyone." Yun-Jae snapped her fingers, her lips curling into a smirk at her own discovery. Beomgyu scoffed, averting his eyes as he leaned backwards, trying to act casual.

"I was hanging out with Heeseung," Beomgyu mumbled, and Yun-Jae let out a laugh at the lame excuse, shaking her head.

"Why on Earth would you spend that much time with Heeseung," Yun-Jae laughed out, before Beomgyu fired back.

"Well, obviously I was telling him about your crush on Jungwon." Yun-Jae froze, her smile dropping before she slowly twisted her head to face Beomgyu, who had grabbed his cup of water and started gulping it down.

"Did you actually?" Yun-Jae asked softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Her eyes shone with fear as Beomgyu spluttered, shrugging his shoulders. She let out a whine, her cheeks burning red as she covered her face.

"Beomgyu! You can't just go around telling your friends my crush!" Yun-Jae whined, burying her face into her hands, her hair falling over her face. Beomgyu looked at her with a guilty smile, grateful he barely managed to evade Yun-Jae from figuring it out.

"Relax, I don't think Heeseung told Jungwon. If not, he would've asked for your number already." Yun-Jae removed her face from her hands, her eyes once filled with fear was now filled with a glimmer of hope.

"What? You really think he would?" Yun-Jae asked excitedly, leaning in. Beomgyu laughed, shaking his head before locking eyes with his sister.

"I've seen the way Jungwon takes glances at you when you guys were younger. If he hasn't moved on, I'm pretty sure he'd like you too," Beomgyu grimaced when his sister let out a squeal, excitedly stomping her feet lightly.

"So embarrassing. I'm gonna go to the toilet real quick," Beomgyu hummed as he stood up, dusting off his jeans before leaving the table to go to the restroom the restaurant provided. Yun-Jae continued with her meal, a smile on her face.

She looked up from her pasta that was nearly finished hearing a phone vibrate. Beomgyu had left his phone on the table, and it had vibrate due to an incoming message.

She glanced at the username before his phone turned off, her eyes widening slightly. Who was Ryujin? Why did Beomgyu save her number as 'Ryujin<3"? A grin curled on Yun-Jae's lips, but she refused to move to touch Beomgyu's phone, not wanting to invade his privacy.

Instead, she pulled out her own phone and pressed on a certain contact, pressing the phone against her ear as the line rang. Once the other person picked up, her grin got wider as she addressed the other line in a hushed tone.

"I think Beomgyu oppa has a girlfriend,"

yunjae representing all of us frrr like who wldnt have a crush on jungwon right
it's been a lot of beomryu moments, so i'm trying to write more abt them with their own friends so like their own friends can find out abt the relationship and be like "wtf" it's gonna be so fun guys
can u guess their reactions HAHA
alsoo shld yunjae get a bf and do you guys wanna see like overprotective older brother beomgyu lmk lmk
i dont think i'll develop much on the yunjaexjungwon cuz jungwons an idol in the book LMAOOO but lmk ur thoughts
see u guys in the next update >:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 370 19
hwang y/n is your typical 'it girl' who everyone falls for. the school heartthrob as you may call it, along with her brother hwang hyunjin. the two o...
5K 285 42
A perfect cure for heartbreak surely isn't another muse, is it? She was a beauty, she was grace, she was a distraction. The wondrous second love, Cho...
56.5K 3.1K 18
A girl with a secret gift suddenly meets someone, or somewhat, that changes her life. Little did they know they came together for a reason. Complete ...
103K 5.2K 50
Both being idols and girls in SK, where homosexuality is not really accepted. My first book, do correct me if there's anything wrong 😆 GXG story//Ro...