For Them, We Must

Від LillyBelle13

The third book in the For Him, I Would series. Oakley and Kayce are back. This time Tate, Lee, and Evelyn ar... Більше

Deal with the devil.
Acknowledge my part.
Broken Bones and Warm Souls.
Failure doesn't come from trying.
She can see it in his eyes.
The mother needed, the mother deserved.
How do you do this?
I'll fix you.
You're not evil.
It takes work to lead.
This place won't hold.
Have it out or end it.
She ain't good enough for you.
I went back to that night.
We're doing this all night.
Full house and full hearts.
We're gonna change it back.
You're gonna hold me in your arms.
A Dress, A Date, A Dream.
Be wary of the answers.
Shave off the unwanted.
We've all killed someone.
Kids, Horses, and Wranglers.
Don't apologize for loving me.
I deserve a little time.
The power he has.
I like it just us.
I wouldn't do this with anyone else.
Who's next?
A turn of the truth.
How much weight do years hold?
Give it some time.
Enough of this, please.
Apologies over coffee.
It's what brothers do.
Never again.
Riverbeds of peace.
Ain't out of the woods yet.
Hesitation on parenting.
Fireworks on the Fourth.
It's been busy.
Do you know what compartmentalize means?
Do the right thing.
Youre gonna have to make it up to me.
We'll have the day we deserve soon.
We need you too much.
I wanna live the life we planned.
Ready?
Where the hell are you?
A perfect morning.
It's what you do best.
We can remind him.
Birds and Bees

I know what to do, John.

475 19 11
Від LillyBelle13

Oakley tucked both the twins into her and Kayce's bed back at the ranch. They were sleepy and after the short excitement, they crashed early. Kayce had sent one of his men to where her mom was finishing bridge and told them to bring Erin back to the ranch.

Oakley heard the front door open and shut and knew her mom was back. She made her way downstairs, letting the feeling of being home soak into her bones, and saw Kayce talking to Erin.

"You haven't talked to her, have you?" Erin asked Kayce.

"She won't let me near her enough to do that," Kayce said.

"She's hurting, Kayce," Erin tilted her head at him. "I don't know what you did...but it sounds like it was the consequences of what you did that ended up hurting her feelings. Hurt people don't just let the ones who hurt them close enough to do it again."

"She wants an apology," Kayce nodded. "But I agree that what I did was right."

"Maybe it was?" Erin shrugged. "Doesn't mean right things don't hurt people too...and you, Kayce Dutton, have a history of trying to pick the right choice and it somehow hurts my daughter in the end."

Kayce blinked back in surprise.

"And I think," Erin held up one finger. "I think you're one saving grace is that my daughter is so in love with you, that she'll take that hurt over and over because it far underweights the good parts of your lives together. You're not in a good part right now, Kayce. Maybe recognize that, recognize her side, and let her work through things."

"I told her she doesn't have to do that alone," Kayce said.

"She's Oakley," Erin let out a small chuckle. "Of course, she has to...it's what she's always done. She doesn't want to hurt you, she's trying to get back to you...so Kayce, let her breathe some."

"Hi, Mom," Oakley said, crossing her arms as she stepped off the stairs.

"Hi dear," Erin smiled. "I see we're all having a sleepover here?"

"Yeah," Oakley glanced at Kayce. "I put some of your stuff in one of the guest rooms."

"Told her they were looking for a suspect in a few robberies...said they spotted him in the neighborhood and thought it'd be better for y'all to stay here for a night or two." Kayce shifted awkwardly where he stood.

"Is that alright with you?" Oakley asked her mom. "I'd feel better if you were with us."

"It's fine, Oakley," Erin nodded.

They all looked up at footsteps coming down the stairs. Tate stopped at the last step and looked at them.

"Hey?" Tate looked between the adults.

"Come on, Tate," Erin smiled. "How about you show me to my room and then I want to hear about your new truck I saw our front. Those tires are bigger than me."

Erin walked over and looped her arm through Tate's. The two of them made their way back upstairs and when out of sight, Oakley looked at Kayce.

"She's been really understanding with all of this," Oakley told him. "I can't figure it out."

"I'll take it for now," Kayce sighed, walking into the living room.

Oakley followed him and they both seemed to let out a sigh of relief.

"We don't know if Lee actually saw someone, Kayce," Oakley said. "He's a kid and it could have been a shadow."

"Or it was whoever's screwing with us," Kayce said. "And our hunch was correct that you would be next."

Oakley hugged herself and sighed. She looked at Kayce though and felt better. She was still angry and hurt, but with Kayce being near her, Oakley felt more like herself than she had in the past few days.

"What?" Kayce asked her, noticing her staring. "What is it?"

"Thank you for being there," Oakley said. "I-I know I've been...we've been...this is a mess, I k-know we've got some things to work through...but had you not been there...a-and thank you for letting me come home..."

Kayce stepped closer to Oakley quickly, wrapping her up in his arms. Oakley held onto him, her fingers fisting his shirt as she tucked her nose into his neck. She felt Kayce breathe in deep, his lips brushing against her ear. They stood there for a few minutes, holding onto each other.

Oakley felt safe in his arms. She felt at home with Kayce and it made the ache in her chest deepen with the emotions coursing through her. The fact the only person who made her feel safe was the man who broke her trust was a complete mind fuck.

"Oakley," Kayce whispered.

Oakley opened her eyes and leaned her head up to look at Kayce. He reached up and held her cheek with his palm.

"I'm sorry," Kayce told her.

Oakley blinked a few times, taking in the two words she'd wanted to hear the past three days. Kayce took a deep breath again. Kayce's thumbs traced lightly over Oakley's bottom lip.

"Do you mean that?" She asked softly.

"I never want to hurt you...and I can see how me doing the right thing, still hurt you," Kayce murmured. "I'm sorry."

Oakley reached up and held the hand of Kayce's that was holding her face. She leaned her lips against his palm and breathed a sigh of relief. Kayce leaned forward and pressed a kiss to Oakley's forehead.

"This isn't gonna end well," He told her. "I'm gonna have to...when I get the opportunity, I will have to..."

"I know," Oakley said, and Kayce looked surprised. "Just...when you're out there, remember three little rugrats are waiting for you when you get home."

"Why do you think I'm doing it?" Kayce asked. "I know you don't agree, but I'm doing all of this because I'm protecting all of you."

"I don't disagree with your wanting to protect us," Oakley blinked back. "I just disagree with how you've done it."

"Kayce?"

They looked over and saw John.

"Oakley," John nodded. "Nice to have you back."

Oakley let go of Kayce and stepped back from him. She didn't miss the hurt expression on Kayce's face, but Oakley could only do so much with John in the room. Her eyes narrowed at him as she didn't answer. John looked at Kayce.

"Think we have our guy," John said.

Kayce glanced at Oakley before he looked back at John.

"Who?" Kayce asked.

"Your old hire, Oakley," John said, walking over to them.

Oakley thought for a moment. She hadn't hired anyone in months. Then it clicked with her.

"Marcus?" Oakley asked.

"Yeah," John nodded. "Ran his prints from his old gloves he left behind here."

"They match anything already?" Kayce asked.

"No, not here," John shook his head. "But they did in Miles City...a string of carjackings and one robbery."

"That's where Doyle was a cop," Oakley looked at Kayce. "Right?"

Kayce nodded and looked at John.

"Marcus's actual name?" John asked. "Matthew Marcus Anderson."

Oakley's eyes widened.

"As in...he's related to Doyle and May?" Oakley asked.

"Her brother," John said. "But not his son. He was from her mother's affair...not sure May even knew about him."

"Why does he have Doyle's last name?" Oakley asked.

"His mother changed it when he was seven," John said. "His biological father is in a prison in Tennessee."

"Jamie didn't know," Kayce said. "Or did he?"

"He's saying he didn't," John shook his head. "Said May never mentioned a brother before."

"You've talked to Jamie?" Oakley asked Kayce softly. "How is he?"

"He's in jail for something he didn't do," John chuckled. "How do you-"

"I didn't ask you," Oakley snapped.

"He's fine," Kayce said, reaching out and holding Oakley's arm before looking at John. "Can you give me a minute?"

John nodded his head and walked out of the room. Kayce stepped in front of and faced Oakley as John left, his eyes looking over her face. He looked conflicted though, Oakley could tell.

"What?" Oakley asked him.

"I know I don't deserve it. But, would you please do me a favor?" Kayce asked. "Go upstairs and give me some time down here with him and I promise you...I will tell you everything that I know."

"Kayce-"

"I promise," Kayce said. "Please, baby?"

Oakley sighed but slowly nodded her head.

"The twins are in our bed," Oakley said as she walked around Kayce and up the stairs. "I'm gonna check on Tate and my mom."

**

Oakley was lying down with Tate, who had fallen asleep about ten minutes ago. But she liked looking down at him on his side facing her, his nose close to her hip. He looked like a little kid again and Oakley loved it even more. Her mom had already gone to bed and the upstairs was quiet now. The light from the hallway broke up and Oakley saw Kayce standing in the doorway. She slowly got up, careful to not jostle Tate, and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

With her mom in one of the guest rooms, and the twins in their room, Kayce led Oakley down the other hallway and into the office, shutting the door behind him. It was dark, the moonlight coming through the window the only light in the room. Oakley leaned back against the desk and waited for Kayce to say something.

"I need to ask something of you," Kayce told her.

"Alright," Oakley nodded.

"We think we can get Marcus...Matthew, whatever the fuck his name is," Kayce shook his head.

"How?" Oakley asked.

"We think we can bring him to us," Kayce said. "Lure him out, if you will."

"Bring him to you?" Oakley asked. "How would you do that?"

"By letting him think he can get what he wants," Kayce said with a frown.

Oakley thought about what Kayce was saying. She could see why they would want him to come to them. It would make taking him out easier. But how would they invite him in without him thinking it's a trap? And what are they using to pull him in...

It dawned on Oakley.

"Me," Oakley said. "You want to lure him out with me."

"No," Kayce shook his head. "We want him to think he can get you...a trap of sorts."

"A trap...like a mouse?" Oakley breathed out and Kayce nodded. "And I'm the cheese? You don't think that's what lure means?"

"I don't want you to do this," Kayce said. "But I think this could work...and it's the closest we've gotten, but I don't see how he would come out without it being you."

"You seem to still be battling it in your head?" Oakley raised her eyebrow.

"You'll hate me either way," Kayce shrugged. "And this brings you inside the circle."

Oakley thought about it for a second, choosing to ignore that part about Kayce saying Oakley would hate him.

"What would I do?" Oakley asked.

"We'll let you down to the barn," Kayce said. "You'll be alone...you'll appear alone, and we'll wait and see if he tried to do something or grab you."

Oakley swallowed hard.

"We'll be right there," Kayce promised her, taking a step closer to her. "I'll be right there...nothing will happen to you."

"Feels a little like you're feeding me to the wolves," Oakley cleared her throat. "When is this supposed to happen?"

"Tomorrow morning," Kayce said.

"Tomorrow?" Oakley asked. "What?"

"If that was him at your mom's, then he knows you're back here," Kayce said. "But we're supposed to not know he knows...so you going down to the barn in the morning wouldn't be something abnormal for you to do. Dad's already speaking with the wranglers...everyone will be ready."

"And so what?" Oakley shrugged. "I just wait until I feel hands on me or a hand covers my mouth?"

"He won't hurt you," Kayce said slowly. "We'll have a wider perimeter. I've got my team on their way here already and will be set up. Then there's all of us...this could be the only chance we have for a while."

"What if something happens?" Oakley asked.

"Nothing will-"

"What if?" Oakley snapped. "What if he has a gun? What if he...t-takes me or worse? What if he hurts you or...?"

"He won't," Kayce said.

"You don't know that," Oakley frowned, her nerves being shot right now. "Kayce...I have babies, our children! If something happens..."

"I know asking you to trust me right now would be stupid," Kayce sighed. "But if you can find it in you to trust me with this...it's the only shot we've got for a while here. If we don't, how long would you like to live like this with the kids and your mom?"

"Kayce," Oakley pressed the heels of her palms against her eyes and sighed.

She felt Kayce hold her wrists gently and pull her hands down. His eyes were close to hers, staring into them. Kayce stepped closer to Oakley, holding her in his arms and bringing her into his chest. She felt him press his lips to her temple as she tried to calm her breathing down.

"I will never let anyone hurt you," Kayce told her. "The air would have to leave my lungs for that to happen."

Oakley moved her arms around Kayce's middle and hugged him closer. They stood like that for a while, Oakley wasn't sure how long. But she slowly pulled back from Kayce, who reached up to wipe under her eyes. After, Kayce held onto her hips and looked at her.

"I wanna go back and lay with Tate," Oakley whispered.

"Okay," Kayce nodded. "I'll come get you here in a few hours."

Oakley nodded, walking out of the office and back down the hallway. She pushed open Tate's door and slowly crawled into the bed with him. For the next few hours, Oakley watched Tate sleep and tried to reason with what she was walking into. When the light changed in the clouds outside Tate's window, Oakley knew the time was coming. When she heard his door open slowly she sighed out, looking over her shoulder to see Kayce standing at the door.

Oakley went to their bedroom, opened the door, and quietly walked over to the bed. Kayce stayed by the door and watched as Oakley leaned over the twins and kissed both of their heads. They were still in their deep sleep and Oakley's eyes got teary as she pulled the sheets back up to their chests. She swallowed and turned around, knowing the longer she watched them the harder it would be.

When Oakley turned to leave she saw a blanket thrown over the chair in the corner. It meant Kayce had been sitting here during the night, watching over the twins. It made Oakley's heart ache.

Oakley then followed Kayce down to the dining room. John was there with Rip, both of them standing when they saw Oakley walking behind Kayce. She sat down in her chair and Rip pushed a coffee across the table to her.

"I know what we're asking of you, Oakley," John said.

Oakley looked over at him. If it wasn't five in the morning and she hadn't been up all night, Oakley might have fought back with a comment. But she was tired and her whole body felt achy right now, so she just remained silent.

"Nothing will happen to you," John said. "Kayce has his men out there already and our team here will be close should anything go wrong. All you have to do is-"

"Draw him out and let him think he's going to take me...try not to end up being killed or something," Oakley cut him off. "I know what to do, John."

Kayce reached his hand over and rested it against Oakley's thigh. John stared at her for a moment as Oakley took a sip of her coffee. The warm liquid helped for a moment, but as soon as she swallowed, she was back to her old feelings.

"I'll walk down with you and then pretend I forgot something back at the house," Kayce told Oakley. "You'll continue on and we'll see if he's...there."

Oakley nodded, not trusting her voice to say anything to Kayce. His hand on her thigh squeezed reassuringly. She reached down and laced her fingers through Kayce's, reminding herself to breathe in and out slowly.

"Rip," John looked over at where Rip had been.

Rip nodded, standing up and looking at Oakley. She looked up at Rip.

"I'll be right there with you, Oaks," Rip said before leaving the room. "He made this personal for all of us."

"I'm going to make it look like I'm headed to see Beth," John stood up from his chair. "Hate me all you want right now, Oakley. But I'll be there for you as well."

He left the room, leaving it just Oakley and Kayce now. She looked down at their hands and saw Kayce's wedding ring and for some reason, her eyes seemed to sharpen at the sight. Oakley looked up at Kayce who had been watching her this whole time. His face was calming as he seemed to just sit there and be there for her, waiting for whatever she needed. The clock from the living room started to chime and Oakley knew that was their signal.

Silently the two of them made their way to the back door. When Oakley reached down for the knob Kayce tugged her backward. Startled, Oakley looked up at Kayce who moved fast and held both her cheeks, his lips pressing against hers. A few seconds later, Kayce pulled back. Oakley let out a shaky, long breath and blinked her eyes open slowly. Kayce reached behind her and opened the door.

The cooler air helped clear Oakley's mind some as they slowly made their way down to the barn. If this were a normal day, they wouldn't have rushed, still being on time. When they got to where they were even with the foreman's cabin, Kayce stopped and made Oakley look at him.

"I left something at the house," Kayce said. "I'll meet you down there?"

"S-Sure," Oakley cleared her throat. "I'll see you in a bit?"

"I'll see you in a bit," Kayce nodded, looking at Oakley an extra second before he turned around.

Oakley watched him for a moment before taking a breath and moving her legs to take her toward the barn. She slowed down as she got to the large doors rolled back. It was too quiet but Oakley supposed it was still early for the wranglers to be "up."

She stepped inside and decided to head to the stall where her horse normally was kept. It would make sense, right? For her to get her horse after coming down here and walking into the barn. Oakley stood by the door and smiled at her horse.

"Morning, buddy," She held out her hand as her horse nuzzled his nose against her open palm. "Bet you were hoping for an apple?"

She looked to the left and right.

"Let me go see if I can find you something," Oakley turned around and walked over to where they sometimes kept treats for the horses.

Oakley listened for any moment around her, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. She pulled out one half of an apple and walked back over, holding it out in her palm. She rubbed up and down her horse's face, scratching behind its ears.

Hearing boots walk up, Oakley looked to her right and saw Rip walking in.

"Morning," He grunted.

"Morning," Oakley mumbled.

Rip moved around her, grabbing items for his own horse. He didn't say much else, but that was normal. It wasn't until he walked right next to her that he mumbled something.

"Walk around the barn some."

Oakley dropped her hand from her horse and swallowed hard. She took a step back and then made her way out of the barn. The sun was brightening up the sky as she made her way around the far side of the barn. Stepping slowly, Oakley's eyes glanced around the trees to see if she saw anyone. As she walked along the edge, running out of ideas, she got the sense that maybe he wasn't there. Maybe he hadn't decided to try and grab her today.

When she got to the backside of the barn, Oakley knew she needed to head back. If Marcus was here and watching her, there was a short amount of time now before he caught on to how she was acting. Oakley almost got to the front of the barn again before she heard a gunshot go off.

Wincing she realized it was too far away from her to be close. Oakley ran to the front, meeting Rip there. Three more gunshots rang out through the morning air.

"What?" Oakley asked looking around.

"The lodge!" Rip started to run up the path.

That's when Oakley saw a few men and wranglers jumping out from the trees and racing up to the lodge.

That's also when Oakley remembered her whole family was in the lodge.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

49.8K 993 21
Kindness doesn't exist. At least not for us Dutton's. One moment of kindness is a moment of weakness. Weakness gets you killed. OC x Rip Wheeler
16.4K 400 11
This is a story about Lee Dutton and his wife Brie. Brie is surgeon from a well known family. Before Brie was a Dutton she was a Sheppard. I know wha...
My love Від katherinab1986

Романтика

17.6K 497 10
Loving John Dutton is not easy.
66.5K 2.1K 30
Rip Wheeler Fanfiction "He just called you an old man." "I'm not even that old." "Sure cowboy, sure." Content warning Mature themes Large age gap Lac...