Book Three - Fighting For You

Por LisaStanbridge

Book three in The Price of Love series. Life wasn’t meant to be like this. Our relationship didn’t start off... Más

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
I want your opinion
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Epilogue
Ask and you shall receive
Announcement

Chapter 31

844 49 11
Por LisaStanbridge

Hello! I hope you enjoy this latest chapter. You know the drill. Thanks for reading.
***
I'm not even paying attention to where we're going. When we leave the room, my anxiety returns and I suddenly feel uneasy in Sam's company. I had dreamed of having Sam back and even imagined the reunion but it never went like this. A small smile tugs at my lips, lessening my uneasiness slightly, as I remember the day-well night actually-we married in Rome. How shocked I was and how it didn't sink in until the next morning.

"What are you thinking about?" Sam says from beside me.

I glance at him briefly and smile shyly. "Just thinking back to when we got married."

Sam chuckles and a shiver runs down the length of my spine. Tears sting my eyes as it dawns on me yet again that he's here. Right beside me. I look at him again, waiting for the penny to drop. To sink in that he is here and it's not a dream.

He looks across at me and grins. "I had to carry you to our room," he adds with a laugh. "And we bumped into that couple in the elevator."

When we reach the main doors, a few metres from the reception desk, I turn to him, grinning at the memory. The best part? He still remembers!

"I was worried you wouldn't remember," I confess, my smile slipping. "I don't know how much you remember about-"

His hand takes mine, sending that bolt of electricity through me that I've missed so much. "I remember everything now, Em," he says softly.

I look up at him and our eyes meet. Tears pool in mine. A sob rises in my chest and I throw myself at him, my arms wrapping around his waist tightly. When his arms wrap around me, I melt into him. It's like being home again. And this is when the penny drops. Tears freefall down my cheeks as I sob into his chest. I vow to never take advantage of Sam ever again. I couldn't handle losing him once, there is no way I could go through that again.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I say into his chest, my voice muffled. I do feel bad for the way I spoke to him.

Sam's chest vibrates with a laugh. "I think it would be pretty unfair of me to be angry. I shouldn't have caught you so unawares. I'm sorry."

I hesitantly pull away and look up at him. "You have no idea how difficult it's been," I say, my throat constricting. "I couldn't cope. Life without you meant nothing. Even though I had Lachie...I couldn't..." a lump forms in my throat and I trail off, looking away and glancing at the floor instead.

"Is that why you-?" Sam starts to ask but then cuts off, his voice cracking.

Unable to look at him I just nod. I'm ashamed to even think of being that low. It makes me feel so worthless and weak.

"David never told me," Sam says after a few moments.

Risking a glance at him, I see the sadness on his face. I did wonder why it was never mentioned but now I realise why.

"You had to get better and he probably didn't want to worry you."

His face darkens and his eyes flash with anger. "Do you really think I'd care about getting better in that situation? Emily, you're my world and not being with you and Lachie has been torture. Now knowing what you've been through..." he trails off and shakes his head then starts pacing the floor. He stops and turns back to me. "It kills me," he says with emotion.

He runs a hand through his hair, his face anguished. "To know you went through hell and I was cooped up in this stuffy place without knowing what the hell was going on with you makes me feel like the worst husband in the world." He takes my hands and stares into my eyes. "I'm supposed to protect you, Emily. I'm supposed to take your pain away. I'm supposed to make sure you never go through stuff like this. But...I wasn't and that hurts more than anything."

Tears are streaming down my cheeks again. I'm like a bloody leaky tap.

"You had no choice," I say softly, loving that Sam really takes his role as husband seriously. "I understand that but I just wish I knew..." I sigh and lean against a wall.

Sam comes and stands next to me, also leaning against the wall. His shoulder is against mine as we just stand there not talking at first.

"It wasn't handled very well," Sam says after a few moments. "Once I had been told what was going on with Henry and Doctor Nelson, the police came in and discussed the protective custody arrangements. They said the only people to know were those dealing with me. Not even my family could know. I kicked up a stink but no one listened. I've been worried about you and Lachie the whole time. I tried to contact you. I tried to sneak into any office that had a phone but they had so many people watching me it was impossible."

I giggle at this, imagining him trying to outrun those guarding him.

"What's so funny?" he asks, his eyes shining.

"I just had an image of you trying to outrun guards in your state."

He laughs then wraps an arm across my shoulders. "That didn't help either. I was unsteady on my feet for a while and I didn't have all my memory back. That came back over a few days but yeah, I wasn't very successful."

I look up at him and smile lovingly at him. "Thanks for trying though."

He moves so he's standing in front of me then smiles down at me. "Anything for you, Em," he says huskily. "As long as I have you now, that's all that matters."

He uses his index finger to lift my chin then the next thing I know his lips are on mine. The lips I never thought I would kiss again. They're so warm and loving...just like I remember. My body buzzes with emotion, every one of my senses awakening and wanting Sam more than ever before. His arms wrap around me, holding me against him. My own arms fly up to his neck and I get as close to him as I can, enjoying every second of this kiss.

Right now I'm feeling like I'm being brought to life like Snow White. I just hope this time I finally get my happily ever after. I'm sick of fighting. All I want is a life with my husband and children once and for all.

When we finally pull away, Sam rests his forehead against mine as we breathe heavily. This is where I belong.

Opening my eyes, I stare into Sam's and say, "Sam, I'm pregnant."

His eyes widen in surprise and he steps away with a gasp. For moment he doesn't speak but he looks dazed, like he can't believe it. I silently curse and close my eyes, hoping and praying he doesn't freak out. Did I tell him too soon? Will he-?

Suddenly I feel his lips on mine in a passionate, breathtaking kiss. My eyes snap open just as he pulls away. It's the quickest kiss ever but it says so much.

"Oh Em," he breathes, his eyes glistening with tears, "that is the best news I've had in weeks. When did you find out?"

"A couple of weeks ago...after..." I trail off and gesture to my arm.

Sam nods mechanically and frowns. He pulls me into an embrace and says, "Emily, I'm so sorry for everything."

"You don't have to be sorry for anything, Sam. Right now all I'm worried about is having you back and having a family with you." Then remembering Simon is still outside with Lachlan and Leo, an idea pops into my mind. "Speaking of which," I say with a smile, "how would you like to see your son again?"

Sam's eyes widen and he grins like a little boy. "Is he here?" he looks around. "Where is he?"

His excitement is contagious and all I can feel right now is happiness...nothing else.

"Not here," I say grabbing his hand. "Let's got for a walk and we'll find him. Simon is looking after him. Come on."

I walk toward the entrance, still holding Sam's hand. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get used to this but I'm going to enjoy every moment with him from now on. I always did but I know there were times I took it for granted. Not anymore.

As we walk outside, I spot Simon's car immediately just a few metres away. I grin at Sam then walk toward it but stop when the driver's side door opens and Simon gets out. Seconds later he goes to the back and takes Lachlan out. Lachlan stumbles on his feet and rubs his eyes as though just waking from sleep. My heart swells with pride and I see him in a new light. I imagine seeing him for the first time in weeks just like Sam is seeing him now.

Looking up at Sam, I see him staring at Lachlan like he hasn't seen him in years.

"I know it hasn't been that long," Sam whispers, his face contorting into shock, "but he's still grown so much. He's matured."

I nod and smile broadly. "He has. He's been a very brave boy through all of this and I couldn't be any prouder."

He looks down at me with a beaming smile then back up at our son. At the same time Simon looks across. He spots me first and waves but then his smile drops when he sees Sam and he looks like he's going to faint. Then he looks at Lachlan who is also staring at us and Simon bends down to say something to him. Seconds later Lachlan's little face breaks into a huge, beaming smile.

"Daddy!" he cries, dashing over to us.

Within seconds he's thrown himself at Sam's feet and Sam and I both laugh and cry at the same time. Sam picks him up and holds him tight, crying and hugging him tightly. My chest aches from crying but right now I'm so damn happy. We're going to be a family again. This really is a miracle.

Simon takes Leo out of the car and comes over to me, still looking shocked. "What the hell is going on?" he demands, looking between me and Sam. "I thought-"

I cut him off by shaking my head. "It's a long story, Si. It's a long, long story. For now...let's go home." I look at Sam and see Lachlan clinging onto him for dear life, a smile on his face and tears staining his cheeks. My son is still happy. Thank god.

"Are you able to come home yet?" I ask Sam.

He nods eagerly. "David said I was clear to go. It was going to be later but I'm sure it won't be a problem. I'll just check with him. Do you mind waiting?"

I shake my head. "You go in. Lachie, do you want to stay here while-?"

"No," he says stubbornly, clinging onto Sam's shirt, "stay Daddy."

Sam smiles contentedly. He goes inside and I turn to Simon and take Leo from him who is becoming grizzly.

"You have a lot of explaining to do," Simon says, still looking shell shocked.

I rock Leo back and forth then say, "I know but do you mind if we wait til we're at Mum and Dad's? I don't want to repeat the story."

Simon nods then smiles and says, "Do I need to ask how you're feeling?"

I shake my head. "It's pretty obvious. But I am pretty emotionally spent though. I need a week to get over everything."

"Maybe you should. You and Sam have a lot of catching up to do." He winks to show the hidden meaning and I slap his arm.

"You crude bastard," I joke. Then I smirk and add, "But you're right."

And heaven help me...I'm not going to be surfacing for a few days. I have my husband back and I'm making the most of it.

***
A/N-: How are you feeling right now? :)

Are there any questions I haven't answered? There are two chapters to go (which includes the epilogue) so I'll make sure I answer everything.

If you enjoyed this, please remember to vote and comment. I love all your support. :)

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

8.1K 478 33
BOOK 2 Of Sold to the Alpha - SUBMITTED TO THE 2023 WATTY AWARDS My world stopped, it froze and broke like the axis it had been spinning on had tilte...
30.8K 2.2K 58
♤VOL 1: Book III in the FORBIDDEN series♤ ♠♤ "Have you ever been in love?" I didn't know what to say to that. My skin heated with an embarrassed, u...
12.2K 520 25
It'll get worse before it gets better. BOOK THREE: LIFE
108K 2.2K 27
╔ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╗ ║ Book One ║ ║ of ║ ║ Three ║ ╚ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╝ Fear doesn't shut her down. It wakes her...