Mafia's Mate

By Chick_ennugget

Clio's life hasn't been easy and she'd like to keep her secrets to herself but even when she's trying to purs... More

Head Hunter
Betrayal
An unbelievable request
Matthew Merikh
Suspect
Wrong encounter
A bad start of the day
Suspicion
Party trouble
Chase
Avoiding trouble
Scoop trouble
The Detective's favor
His deductions
Her 'darling'
Release
Petty tasks
Office romance
What is happening?
Another job
Another Problem
Escape the club
Escape the men
Exhaustion
Sick
In sickness
Get well soon
Problems at hand
My heart is acting weird
City D
HeartBroken
Chance
Drop him back
Mine
Cheer up
Consolation Party
Saturday Meeting
His feelings?
Guest
Hide
Control
Suspect?
The door with a weird vibe
My little troublemaker
Unfortunate
Wake up
Sunday
Funeral
Video Leak
Fight
Confront
Freak
Freak pt 2
Prime suspect
Reality
Volume 2- Trapped
Past
Bullies
Crime
Abnormal
Secrets
My secret
Misery
Run
They know
Doubt and guilt
Confession
Risk or trust
My father's ambitions
My identity
That day
Reassurance
Suspicion
Voice
Inspection
The odd questions
Tension
It seems I'm the only one who doesn't know
Dark revelations
Unnerve
Trap
Escape the killer
Caught
Case files
Case closed
Trouble begins
A kidnapping
Not human
Part of the Mafia
His home
New information
Help recover
What am I to you?
What I want
My feelings
Intimacy
The scars of his past
The scars of his past pt 2
Bastard
To the office
The one in trouble
The one in trouble pt 2
Free
Brutal Savior
Misfits of the moon pack
The Misfits in a peaceful place
Transform
Shift
His first
My name
My Missing Mother
Attack
Your biggest mistake
All of my fear
Finishing job
Healing
New beginnings
Azef

Hospital

2.5K 101 8
By Chick_ennugget

>>Matthew

"Yes," I replied, "I saw the video," I took another sip from the coffee, "What are you planning Harou?" I only called him because I had an inkling that it was his doing. Who else would get the CCTV that the police took other than the police itself?

"A number of things," He replied, "Just wait and see,"

"Oh! I'm waiting,"

"And you'll see,"

"Bold move though," I smirked, "What if the killer comes after you after seeing the video?"

"Even better," He replied, "In fact, that is exactly what he should do."

I nodded, "Hmmm,"

"I'm going to be done soon, with the questioning, and with the body found as well. I need to talk to you."

"The office is always open," I replied,

"I wonder how long it'll remain open." He snickered.

"Even with what you pulled Harou, my standing is quite strong." I put the cup down on the tea plate, "You won't be able to close down my company with petty tricks."

"I didn't pull anything, all of this is what came to me on its own." He clicked his tongue, "Just like how I'll get the proof of your underground activities one day."

I smirked, "You've been trying for a few years now," I chuckled, "So far, you've only failed."

"Every dark tunnel has a light at the end."

"Not if the tunnel is a dead end." I answered and there was a pause, "Keep working hard, Harou, you'll get somewhere." I let out a soft chuckle, then disconnected the call.

***

>>Clio

Much of the day passed by uneventfully but during the last hour of office hours I got a call from the hospital my mom was in.

"Hello?" I answered it immediately, I never miss a call from the hospital.

"Hello, Clio Payne speaking?"

"Yes,"

"I'm calling you from Hospital D, your mother is in serious condition."

"What!?" I stood up from my chair in response, a jolt of fear coursing through my veins.

"It would be better to come visit her," The voice on the other end was calm and measured, but the words they spoke struck like a thunderbolt, shattering the fragile calm of the moment.

My heart pounded in my chest. Fear gripped me like a vice, rendering me momentarily speechless.

"O-okay!" I managed to say, "I'll be there as soon as I can," The very thought of her in danger, of her suffering, sent waves of panic washing over me. She was the anchor of my world, my last living family, and the sole bearer of all my secrets.

The fear was not just for her but also for myself, for the void that her absence would leave in my life.

As I hung up the phone, my hands trembled, and tears welled in my eyes and I looked at the time.

It wasn't time to leave yet, but I'm gonna risk it all and go anyway.

I grabbed my bag and dashed out of the place

***

The ride to the hospital was a blur of emotions and anxious anticipation. My heart raced with a mixture of fear, hope, and a gnawing sense of helplessness. The uncertainty of the situation weighed heavily on me. I couldn't shake the feeling of impending dread.

Oh God!

I hope it's just a false alarm!!! Please!!!

Now that something like this had happened, the whole thing about being so far away, in another city, was eating me up. I felt like I wouldn't make it in time.

I got off the train, took a cab as fast as I could, and only when I saw the hospital did I feel a little better. But even as we pulled into the hospital parking lot, my hands trembled, but I didn't have time to waste and ran inside to get to my mother.

Night had already loomed over by the time I reached and the hospital was busy. I bumped into many people as I ran towards my mother's room, but didn't care about it at all.

I opened the door with a bang, getting the attention of the only person in the room.

"Clio?" The woman looked at me in surprise while she sat up after seeing me.

"Mom!" I ran up to her and hugged her, "Are you alright?"

She was confused, but hugged me back nonetheless, "Of course," She replied, "I'm perfectly fine,"

I pulled back but kept my hands on her shoulders, "Really?"

She chuckled, "Yes," I looked at her from top to bottom and she did look fine

"B-but," I glanced at the door, "The nurse said-"

"That something bad happened?" She cupped my cheeks,

"Yea..." I looked at her, still worried.

"It was just a prank call,"

...

I looked at her weird

What?

It took me a moment to process it.

"A prank call? I knitted my eyebrows, "By who?" I was baffled, "You?" It was still taking a toll on me.

She laughed a hearty laugh, indicating that she really was fine, "Oh no silly, Nolan asked to pull a small prank." My heart sank at the name, "He said you'd come running to me that way." She pulled me into a hug, "He was right,"

I felt so guilty and awkward at the moment but I had no words to say

"I'm so glad I got to see your face." She snuggled against my neck, making my heart throb.

...

"Yea..." I hugged her back, "Me too."

"Oh, no way!" A third voice made its way to us and we pushed apart to look at the door, "Clio!" Yala, the black female doctor, was surprised to see me, "You're finally visiting your mom?" She smiled at me as she entered the room, "Well thank the heavens!" She smiled, throwing her braided locks back from her shoulder, "She waits for you every day like a lost puppy!"

"Ah, yes," I got off the bed and gave her an awkward smile. I couldn't exactly tell her I was baited into it.

Why would Nolan pull this prank? I was planning on seeing Mom this weekend anyway...

I have a bad feeling about this...

"Oh!" Mom hushed her, "Don't tease her,"

Yala laughed, then looked at me, "Is your wound okay?" She asked, "Anything odd with it?"

"No," I shook my head, "It's healing very nicely." I smiled, "In fact, I think it's healed."

"Oh?" She smirked, "We'll take a look at that and while we're on it, are you ready to get the injections?"

I paused, "Um," I was hesitant, "The money..."

She waved her hand to dismiss, "You can afford one session. We have to see the results too. We can't delay it any longer."

My gaze wandered to a corner as I thought about it. She is right, I can't delay it anymore... I've suffered a lot because of this condition of mine.

I nodded, "Alright," I glanced at Mom, "I'll be back soon."

***

On my way back after my session with Yala I heard the sound of stomping which made me look up at the cause of it.

!!!

And that made my soul leave my body because I saw Nolan.

"You!" He pointed and me and I froze, "I called you!" He yelled, his expression full of hurt, "So many times after you hung on me and you didn't pick up a single call!" He came and stood in front of me, staring down at me with anger-filled eyes,

"..." I didn't know how to respond but he continued anyway.

"And that bastard Matthew picked up! Claiming you were sleeping at his place." His expressions churned while my eyes went wide.

"What?"

I had a feeling something might have happened.

But there was no call log that stated the phone was picked up but then again, Matthew could have easily deleted that log.

Weird, why would he do that?

"What do you mean 'what?'" He grabbed my shoulders and shook me, "Are you out of your mind? You just got your surgery done not too long ago and you're already sleeping around like a whore?!?"

The accusation hit like a sudden, unexpected blow, leaving a whirlwind of emotions in its wake. I felt a tumultuous mix of anger, hurt, and disbelief at his words, and something twisted in my mind. Anger surged first, a hot and fiery response to the unfairness of the accusation.

A whore?!

Me?!

Hurt followed closely behind, a deep and throbbing ache in my chest. Disbelief, too, crept into my thoughts. I couldn't fathom how someone who had once claimed to love me could resort to such hurtful language.

And I don't know how I did it, but I shook my arm free and slapped him across the face, "What is wrong with you!" I yelled as he processed the slap he had just received with his hand on his cheek.

I don't think I felt this hurt even when I saw him cheating with Cherelle, "To hell with you Nolan! How can you say that!!!?" My feelings just burst out.

"Why wouldn't I say that!" He looked back at me again, "What else am I supposed to make out of it when after that call where Matthew picked up, you texted that we're breaking up!"

I paused

All of my being just stopped

"What?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279 12 13
In order to puzzle together the murders of four women, Ms. Lee finds herself spending an evening with Mr. Carter. But what price will she have to pa...
11K 1.2K 15
A wealthy business owner teams up with a bumbling investigator to uncover the reason his girlfriend died four years earlier. Will he get the answers...
17.6K 318 44
When They Kennedy is accused of dating the billionaire for his money, she finds other means to take care of her sick mother. And that includes workin...
999K 24.7K 92
"You look awfully well for someone who died years ago." [ THIS STORY CONTAIN MATURE CONTENT!!! ] This is dark mafia's story.... The dark world with...