Ivy and the Fluorescent Light...

By HaileyMorrisonBooks

An Illustrated Novel! || Ivy Rochester accidentally falls into a portal that takes her 1,000 years into an al... More

CHARACTER PROFILES
Chapter 1 - An Unexpected Detour
Chapter 2 - First Meeting
Chapter 3 - A Future Home
Chapter 4 - Cybervists
Chapter 5 - Books and Systems
Chapter 6 - The Lightbulb
Chapter 7 - Uncle Taner
Chapter 8 - Registration
Chapter 9 - A Time Portal
Chapter 10 - The Agent
Chapter 11 - Costume Change
Chapter 12 - A Bad Start
Chapter 13.1 - The Future World
Chapter 13.2 - The Future World
Chapter 14.1 - Brainstorming
Chapter 14.2 - Brainstorming
Chapter 15.1 - So We Meet Again
Chapter 15.2 - So We Meet Again
Chapter 16.1 - A Welcome Back
Chapter 16.2 - A Welcome Back
Chapter 17.1 - Missing Records
Chapter 17.2 - Missing Records
Chapter 18.1 - Tools and Objects
Chapter 18.2 - Tools and Objects
Chapter 19.1 - Wanted List
Chapter 19.2 - Wanted List
Chapter 20.1 - The Hideout
Chapter 20.2 - The Hideout
Chapter 21 - Exploration
Chapter 22 - Intruders
Chapter 23.1 - The Lightwells
Chapter 23.2 - The Lightwells
Chapter 24.1 - Team Plan
Chapter 24.2 - Team Plan
Chapter 25.2 - Conversations
Chapter 26.1 - New Plans
Chapter 26.2 - New Plans
Chapter 27 - The Lab Test
Chapter 28.1 - Operation: Escape
Chapter 28.2 - Operation: Escape
Chapter 29.1 - The Car in the Cave
Chapter 29.2 - The Car in the Cave
Chapter 30.1 - Not So Fast
Chapter 30.2 - Not So Fast

Chapter 25.1 - Conversations

35 7 0
By HaileyMorrisonBooks

Oak and Ivy crept into the hallway, carefully checking each direction for signs of life. <<So far, so good!>> Carbon said from Oak's holoscreen.

Ivy peered over at Oak's screen. "And you're sure that no one else will be able to see this call?" she said, glancing over her shoulder. "I thought anyone could see a panel."

Oak shook his head. "Not since I've set it to private," he replied. Must be another one of Uncle Taner's tricks, she thought with a curious glance.

Other than the soft padding of Oak and Ivy's socks on the carpeted floors, the base was eerily silent. Soon, the pair came to a halt.

Ahead, the carpeting gave way to the sleek, dark concrete flooring. Ivy's eyes adjusted to the considerably dimmer lighting as she looked at the higher ceilings and plain, impersonal walls. The hall branched into several paths.

"Alright, Oak," Ivy said. "Which way to the lounge?"

Oak zoomed into his map, squinting as he took in the graphics of the holographic screen. "Left," he finally said.

"Are we clear to the left?" Ivy said, turning to the holocall.

She watched Carbon, Syndria, Kronalia, and Augaley lean closer to their panels, their eyes scanning its contents. <<Yes, there's no one in the halls,>> Augaley finally said.

Ivy grinned as they easily navigated the area. I'm starting to recognize these hallways! she thought. Strangely enough, considering everything looks the same.

<<Do you see anything interesting yet?>> Carbon asked.

"Just walls," Oak sighed. "We're getting close to the room, though."

<<Wait, guys, stop!>> Kronalia said. <<I see someone nearby the lounge.>>

"Is it Mr. Lightwell?" Ivy said with a sinking feeling. Are we too late?

<<No. It looks like Uncle Taner!>>

"So we're fine, then?" He was against the whole testing-thing anyway. Maybe he has the same plan as us!

"No," Oak said. "If he finds us out of our rooms, he's going to send us back and make sure we can't get out again! I'll never be able to override his coding."

"Oh." But where's Mr. Lightwell? she thought, glancing over her shoulders. Ivy shook her head. No, they would say something if they saw him. They're looking at the cameras, after all.

"Did he go inside, Kronalia?" Oak asked.

<<No...oh, there's Mr. Lightwell.>>

"Well, at least we know where he's not," Ivy said with a relieved sigh.

"What are they doing, Kronalia?"

<<Just talking.>> Kronalia leaned closer to the screen. <<And...they're walking away!>>

"Which direction?" Ivy said.

<<They're out of my camera range.>>

<<Don't worry, they're in mine,>> Syndria said. <<It looks like they went into a room. They left the door open, though, so you're going to have to avoid that hallway on your way.>>

"Which one?" Ivy asked. "'That hallway' is kinda vague."

<<Um...the direction that you're facing. If you keep going that way, you'll pass by their room.>>

Oak sighed, then swiped on the map. "The lounge is still clear, right?" he asked.

Kronalia nodded.

"Alright, I found a different way," he said. He spun around and dashed around a corner. "Let's go, Ivy."

"Hey, wait a second!" she said, huffing in indignation as she hurried in pursuit.

"Then don't be so slow!" he called back, waving a nonchalant hand in the air.

Just like Uncle Taner, she thought, rolling her eyes as she fell in stride with him. He hurried along, pointing at each corner and turn they had to take, before finally stopping and holding up a hand. "Here," he said, pointing to a flat door. "This is the lounge. I'll stay watch outside — you go ahead."

Please be in here, please be in here, please be in here, Ivy thought as she slid the door open.

Yes! Ivy grinned as she spotted the lightbulb—leaning against the couch where she left it. "It's still here!" she said, turning to Oak.

"Well, get it, and let's get out of here!" he hissed back.

Ivy nodded, darting into the room and grabbing the bulb. She hugged it close to herself as she slid the door shut and stepped into the hall. So far, so good! We just have to hide it now. Ivy thought.

"Are we still clear?" Oak asked, scanning his map again.

<<Kinda,>> Augaley slowly said.

Oak and Ivy exchanged a glance.

"Kinda?" Oak echoed. "What do you mean, 'kinda'?"

<<I don't think you can go the same path you came from... Marie is cleaning that area.>>

"Of course, it wouldn't be so easy," Oak muttered. "I was wondering why things were going so well."

Ivy looked around at the various doorways. It's kinda hard to believe that there are only two ways to the residence area from here... she thought. "There's a lot of halls, Oak," she said. "Can't we just go somewhere else?"

Oak shook his head. "The only other path out is past the room where Uncle Taner and Mr. Lightwell are."

"What about all of these doors?" Ivy said, waving at the series of identical, metal panels. "None of these rooms lead somewhere else?"

He paused, swiping through the map. "Some of them do, but not the ones right here. We would still have to go past either where Marie or Uncle Taner and Mr. Lightwell are, which defeats the whole purpose..."

<<If it helps,>> Syndria said, <<Uncle Taner just closed the door! You should be safe to sneak past.>>

Oak nodded. "Better than nothing. Let's get out of here," he whispered. "The quicker, the better."

After a few minutes of walking, Oak slowed. He motioned to a door ahead, staring significantly at Ivy. That must be where Uncle Taner and Mr. Lightwell are, Ivy thought, eyeing the inconspicuous door. I wonder...

"Oak?" Ivy whispered.

"What?"

"Do you think we can try eavesdropping on what they're talking about? Maybe we can figure out what it is exactly that Mr. Lightwell wanted to do tomorrow."

He hesitated. "...Well..."

<<Yeah, why not?>> Kronalia joined in. <<You're not gonna get a chance like this again!>>

"Besides," Ivy added, "we never figured out what Uncle Taner wanted to test on the bulb. Pretty suspicious, considering he's supposed to be sending me back, not diagnosing my old-world tech..."

"I dunno..." Oak replied.

<<Come on, Oak!>> Syndria urged. <<We want to hear what they're talking about, too! You can just put your mic to the door so we can listen with you guys, can't you?>>

Carbon and Augaley nodded emphatically. Oak stared at the screen, then at Ivy. Ivy returned the stare with a resolute gaze. I need to hear what's going on in that room, she thought, her eyes darting between the door and Oak's face. Is Uncle Taner really trying to send me home, or is he planning something else?

Finally, Oak sighed, his shoulders sagging in defeat. "...Fine," he said. "But everyone is going to have to be dead silent. I might've set this call to private, but I don't know if Uncle Taner might be able to override the privacy."

Ivy nodded, pointing at her lips. You don't have to tell me twice! she thought with a grin.

Oak nodded, his eyes fixated on the smooth panel of the door. Cautiously, the kids edged towards the entrance. Oak waved a gloved hand, pointing at the bead on it, and placed it against the door. That must be the microphone, Ivy realized.

The two leaned their ear against the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 1K 46
"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea what she was hiding: her mums terminal c...
19.5K 1.2K 30
*Story inspired by @smuttslxt* In the year 3033, Ivy's world is crumbling down when an alien invasion begins and an apocalypse breaks out. The world...
24 1 16
This is a story that takes place 50 thousand years in the future. As per Einstein's theory for space-time, the rate of expansion of the universe has...
16K 251 6
[THIS SERIES HAS BEEN REBOOTED] The battle in Washington, D.C. left Scorpion weak. But Ivy and the Supers have taken a blow as well. Summer, one of t...