Ivy and the Fluorescent Light...

By HaileyMorrisonBooks

An Illustrated Novel! || Ivy Rochester accidentally falls into a portal that takes her 1,000 years into an al... More

CHARACTER PROFILES
Chapter 1 - An Unexpected Detour
Chapter 2 - First Meeting
Chapter 3 - A Future Home
Chapter 4 - Cybervists
Chapter 5 - Books and Systems
Chapter 6 - The Lightbulb
Chapter 7 - Uncle Taner
Chapter 8 - Registration
Chapter 9 - A Time Portal
Chapter 10 - The Agent
Chapter 11 - Costume Change
Chapter 12 - A Bad Start
Chapter 13.1 - The Future World
Chapter 13.2 - The Future World
Chapter 14.1 - Brainstorming
Chapter 14.2 - Brainstorming
Chapter 15.1 - So We Meet Again
Chapter 15.2 - So We Meet Again
Chapter 16.1 - A Welcome Back
Chapter 16.2 - A Welcome Back
Chapter 17.1 - Missing Records
Chapter 17.2 - Missing Records
Chapter 18.1 - Tools and Objects
Chapter 18.2 - Tools and Objects
Chapter 19.1 - Wanted List
Chapter 19.2 - Wanted List
Chapter 20.1 - The Hideout
Chapter 20.2 - The Hideout
Chapter 21 - Exploration
Chapter 22 - Intruders
Chapter 23.2 - The Lightwells
Chapter 24.1 - Team Plan
Chapter 24.2 - Team Plan
Chapter 25.1 - Conversations
Chapter 25.2 - Conversations
Chapter 26.1 - New Plans
Chapter 26.2 - New Plans
Chapter 27 - The Lab Test
Chapter 28.1 - Operation: Escape
Chapter 28.2 - Operation: Escape
Chapter 29.1 - The Car in the Cave
Chapter 29.2 - The Car in the Cave
Chapter 30.1 - Not So Fast
Chapter 30.2 - Not So Fast

Chapter 23.1 - The Lightwells

50 7 2
By HaileyMorrisonBooks

The group spent the better part of their time in relative silence, save for the quiet bickering between Oak and Syndria. Ivy stationed herself in a chair furthest from the door, her legs curled close to her and the lightbulb tucked firmly in between. I can't stop thinking about that crazy guy with his laser gun, she thought, rubbing her arm. Ivy shivered. What if he didn't warn me? Would that have been it? She watched as Carbon unsuccessfully attempted to intervene in the argument. The group was a few feet away from her, but she felt hundreds of years away. One thousand years, to be exact, she thought, numbly tapping her fingers together. Would I just go back to my time if he got me?

Ivy remained lost in her thoughts, only brought to reality with the room's door sliding open. Uncle Taner stepped in. "I'm done," he said. "Let's go; we have dinner waiting for us."

Oh, Ivy thought. She blinked. I forgot that I need to eat. She slowly rose to her feet, following the others from a distance. I don't think I've ever eaten their food before.

Uncle Taner led them through a series of twists in the hallway until they stepped into a large doorway.

The opening spilled into a large, cavernous room its ceilings reaching far above them. Several metal beams arched to a proud, central column. To one side of the room was a round table, its top filled with dishes of all kinds. I can't see what's on the other side of the room, Ivy thought, attempting to peer past the large column.

"Welcome to the dining room," Uncle Taner said, guiding them to the round table. He took a stack of plates and handed them to the kids. "Take your pick," he said as he grabbed a few items and walked to the other side of the room, out of sight.

Ivy stared at the spread as the others took their own items and filled their plates. The food was surprisingly fresh—full of colorful fruits and vegetables. She frowned as she circled the table, looking at each dish.Well... she thought. At least the fruit kinda resembles the regular fruit I'm used to...

"You're not hungry, Ivy?" Syndria said, peering at Ivy's empty plate.

"Ah...no, it's not that..." She helplessly said. "I've never seen this kind of stuff before. I mean, where's all the meat?" Ivy asked.

They all paused and stared at her. "Meat?" Augaley slowly echoed.

"You mean, like this?" Oak said, pointing at an array of something that vaguely resembled sliced ham at the back of the table.

"What's that?"

"Uh...like high protein slices," he said with a frown.

"That's what you meant, right? The protein slices?" Kronalia said, leaning into the conversation. "Like, you don't actually eat meat, right?"

"You all don't eat meat anymore?"

Oak shook his head. "Animals? No."

"So everyone's vegan?"

They stared at her in confusion.

"What's...vegan?" Carbon finally said.

Ivy paused. "You know what," she said, grabbing several slices and piling them on her plate, "nevermind."

Oak started as if he was going to say something, but instead shook his head and raised his eyebrows.

"Guys," Uncle Taner called. "What are you doing, having a meeting? Just choose your food and take a seat. We're waiting."

"'We're'?" Ivy said, exchanging a surprised look with the group. She tossed a few items onto her plate and followed the others.

Oak lingered behind, walking alongside her. "Hey, are you okay?" he said, glancing at her.

Ivy blinked. "I guess. Why?"

"I noticed you've been pretty quiet since that whole incident." He shrugged. "I don't blame you, that would glitch anybody out."

"I'll be fine, thanks, Oak," Ivy sighed. "As long as I don't have to see that creep again."

Oak smirked and chuckled. "I doubt Uncle Taner would let him near us again after that stunt," he said.

The group stopped.

"Hey, why are we stopping?" Ivy said, hopping back as the others skidded to a halt in front of Ivy. "I almost dropped my plate!" She squinted, staring at their expressions.

What are they looking at? Ivy thought, stepping to the side of them.

Next to Uncle Taner was another man. Oak and Ivy exchanged shocked glances. "I spoke too soon," Oak murmured.

"Is this a good time to run?" Ivy whispered back.

"Come on, guys," Uncle Taner growled. "You took long enough with the food. Let's not keep the hosts waiting."

Hosts? Ivy's eyes drifted to the figure next to the imposing man. Oh, I didn't notice the lady with him.

The woman, in stark contrast to the man, looked decidedly more pleasant. Her hair was pulled back into a carefree bun of blonde and white strands, and her light blue eyes danced with warmth. Ivy exchanged a glance with the group. Well...she seems more trustworthy, she warily thought as she shrugged to the rest and joined the adults at the table.

"Ivy, Oak, Syndria, Kronalia, Augaley, and Carbon," Uncle Taner said as they settled into their seats, "meet the Lightwells."

"Glad you can join us," the woman said with a warm smile. "You can call me Marie."

The man stared at each child with a scrutinizing glare, his steel gray eyes as sharp as the metal they resembled. His frown deepened as his eyes fell on Ivy. "So this is the little 'kidnapped' intruder," he said.

Ivy stared at her plate, hoping the man wouldn't notice the anger in his eyes. He's talking like I'm not here! she thought with resentment.

"I wouldn't call her 'kidnapped'—" Uncle Taner started.

"That's what the advertisements are saying."

Silence.

Ivy glanced up. Why is it so quiet all of a sudden? She shivered, seeing his cold eyes fixated on her—well, on her health bar, at least.

"What happened to her health bar?" he said.

Uncle Taner shrugged. "That's how I found her this morning," he said.

The man's eyes raised and met Ivy's stare. He raised an eyebrow. "Care to explain?" he said.

I don't, Ivy thought resentfully. "I'm not sure what happened to it," she evenly said, holding his gaze with a glare of her own.

The man, unfazed, returned the glare with unnerving steadiness. Eventually, Ivy broke eye contact. Ugh, I can't hold that sort of staring contest!

"Listen up, children," he said, "this is mine and Marie's home—we upkeep this base for...visitors such as yourself and Taner here." He paused to glare at Uncle Taner, who had resigned from talking and instead picked at his food. "You can call me Mr. Lightwell." he continued.

I won't be calling you anything if I can help it! Ivy thought, grumbling to herself as she shoved a piece of fruit in her mouth. Hm, not bad! she thought, tasting a surprising melody of nuts and tanginess.

"You might not be used to this food, intruder," he continued, "so feel free to ask for something else if you want something else."

"That won't be necessary, I think it tastes just fine!" Ivy sniffed. "And the name is Ivy." She picked a protein slice and stared at it. Well, this can't be bad, then. She shrugged and took a bite. Ivy froze, stopping her nose from curling in disgust.

"Something the matter?" Mr. Lightwell said.

Ivy quickly shook her head. "Nope," she said. It tastes disgusting! she thought in horror, trying her best to chew through the semi-gummy, semi-chunky texture. "Nothing's the matter," she choked out.

From the corner of her eye, she glimpsed Syndria stifling a snicker.

"Hm," he grunted. "Taner."

"Yup," Uncle Taner replied.

Mr. Lightwell squinted, his eyebrows raising. "I'll ignore that casualness. Did you show the kids their accommodations?"

"Not yet," he replied, "I'll be getting their pajamas made after dinner and show them their rooms—jump two cables with one shot."

"No need, if that's the case. Marie said she'd take care of it if you hadn't yet."

"I have everything ready!" Marie cheerfully said, jumping into the conversation for the first time. Her eyes twinkled with excitement. "I was so excited to hear that you children were coming—it's been so long since we've had children around here. Oh! I hope you all will like the nightgowns I've chosen, I've done some research on the latest children's fashion."

For a split second, Mr. Lightwell's face broke into a smile as he watched Marie—if a smile looked like a grimace, that is. Huh, Ivy thought, chewing another slice of fruit, so the guy has emotions after all. Marie caught his eye and warmly smiled back.

Mr. Lightwell abruptly looked at Ivy. She jumped.He didn't see me looking at him, did he? she thought, glancing away.

He closely watched her, his gaze scrutinizing Ivy's every move. "So tell me, Ivy," he said, nibbling at a slice of the protein substance, "how are you enjoying the future? It must be quite different from your dimension."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.3K 1K 46
"You're going to keep living, V." Everyone thought Ivy Archer had the perfect life. Because they had no idea what she was hiding: her mums terminal c...
2K 173 18
The year is 2050 and the world has been overrun by machines enforced by the government. Each citizen must obey the established Five Laws - a set of r...
48K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
1.7M 70.5K 53
STORY 1 Ivy James loved being top of the school; she could click her fingers and get anyone to fulfill whatever her heart desired. She was happy enou...