too close to the stars - H.J.P

By moonyandandy

Noel Lupin had always been a quiet kid. That was until she was thrusted into the whirlwind that is Harry Pott... More

Characters
𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐙𝐊𝐀𝐁𝐀𝐍
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
𝐆𝐎𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐄
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐅-𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐒
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Epilogue
100k SPECIAL

Chapter Thirty Six

2.1K 82 3
By moonyandandy

—— ϟ ——

Noel woke up the next morning with a big pile of presents at the end of her bead. Surprised, Noel looked at the wearily, debating whether or not they were truly hers. Checking the tags, it confirmed that they were for her.

She got a small manual surprisingly from Professor Grubbly-Plank on how to take care of Bowtruckles. From Tonks she got a few stationary quills and a few shades of lipsticks, from Sirius she got a new pair of earrings, from Theo she got a pair of ballet shoes, an odd gift when she first opened it but then she remembered their conversation during the summer. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley got her a hand-knitted sweater, it was navy blue, the borders a gold color. From Harry she got a locket, a very touching gift and from her dad she got some new books.

Getting up, Noel fed Mars, Ringo and Asra who had hooted and shrilled happily when he saw Noel the day before. Once they were fed and taken care of, Noel threw the sweater on and walked down to the kitchen to feed Hades who was trotting behind her happily, all of her other pets on his back. Noel laughed at how ridiculous they must look.

Unfortunately, not everyone was having a good Christmas morning. Mrs Weasley was crying at the kitchen table with an open parcel in front of her. Her dad was there consoling her trying to calm her down. Sitting on her other side Noel laid her head down on Mrs Weasley's shoulder.

"He'll come around, y'know. Sooner or later but I'm sorry that he returned your gift. On the bright side I know everyone else loved it, I could definitely force them to wear theirs if it'll make you feel better."

Mrs. Weasley cracked a smile but she was looking at Percy's returned jumper with a great deal of sadness. "I'm being silly, the holidays are meant to be for joy."

"You're not being silly." Remus said, "But you're right. They are for joy so let's enjoy the Chritsmas morning and later we'll go and see Arthur."

Remus and Noel set out to make breakfast insisting that Molly take a break and enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate. While they cooked they set up the radio and Mrs Weasley happily sang to Celestina Warbeck. As they were finishing with the food all the kids had finally come down, looking at Mrs Weasley first to see how she was but they were relieved that she was smiling and chatting with Remus.

Noel left her dad to manage the kitchen as she went over and sat with them. Sitting next to Theo as always all the kids talked about the gifts they had gotten. "Ballet shoes?" Noel smirked, turning to Theo.

"You have an excuse to start it again," he shrugged. "Besides, you could just hang them up like your old room."

"Lessons are expensive and anyhow we have school, it's not like Hogwarts has a dancing class. But thank you, I'll definitely do something with them."

"You're welcome. Thank you for my gift as well. It was very nice of you."

The journey to St. Mungo's was quite quick, as there was very little traffic on the roads. A small trickle of witches and wizards were creeping furtively up the otherwise deserted street to visit the hospital. They strolled casually toward the window where the dummy in green nylon stood, then, one by one, stepped through the glass.

The reception area looked pleasantly festive: The crystal orbs that illuminated St. Mungo's had been turned to red and gold so that they became gigantic, glowing Christmas baubles; holly hung around every doorway, and shining white Christmas trees covered in magical snow and icicles glittered in every corner, each topped with a gleaming gold star.

They found Mr. Weasley propped up in bed with the remains of his turkey dinner on a tray in his lap and a rather sheepish expression on his face.

"Everything all right, Arthur?" asked Mrs. Weasley, after they had all greeted Mr. Weasley and handed over their presents.

"Fine, fine," said Mr. Weasley, a little too heartily. "You — er — haven't seen Healer Smethwyck, have you?"

"No," said Mrs. Weasley suspiciously, "why?"

"Nothing, nothing," said Mr. Weasley airily, starting to unwrap his pile of gifts. "Well, everyone had a good day? What did you all get for Christmas? Oh, Harry — this is absolutely wonderful —" For he had just opened Harry's gift of fuse-wire and screwdrivers. Mrs. Weasley did not seem entirely satisfied with Mr. Weasley's answer.

As her husband leaned over to shake Harry's hand, she peered at the bandaging under his nightshirt. "Arthur," she said, with a snap in her voice like a mousetrap, "you've had your bandages changed. Why have you had your bandages changed a day early, Arthur? They told me they wouldn't need doing until tomorrow."

"What?" said Mr. Weasley, looking rather frightened and pulling the bed covers higher up his chest. "No, no — it's nothing — it's — I —" He seemed to deflate under Mrs. Weasley's piercing gaze. "Well — now don't get upset, Molly, but Augustus Pye had an idea... He's the Trainee Healer, you know, lovely young chap and very interested in... um... complementary medicine... I mean, some of these old Muggle remedies... well, they're called stitches, Molly, and they work very well on — on Muggle wounds —"

Noel, Theo and Remus strolled away to the werewolf that was in the other bed. "Hello." Remus greeted him.

The man looked at him apprehensively. Noel took a seat on the chair near his bed while her dad took the liberty to read his chart. "Do you know if they've registered you yet?" Remus asked him. "What's your name?"

"Uh, David. David Jones. They talked to me about it briefly, they said I had to do it before I got out of here. I'm sorry you are–?"

Remus gave him a smile and went to shake his hand, "Remus Lupin. This is my daughter Noel and her friend Theo."

"You're the Professor, the one who got sacked. Have you registered?"

"I had to, after it was news in the Prophet. How are you taking it? How is your family taking it?"

"Not well, on both accounts. My mother hasn't come to see me. As for me... I sort of just feel angry."

"I know the feeling. Do you have any idea why you were bitten?"

"Not a clue, mate. Listen I don't mean to sound rude but–"

"I have a colony. A werewolf colony in Scotland." Remus cut him off. "Full is in two weeks and if you're released by then you could transform with us. I'm sure that some of the older folk would be happy to help."

"Colony?" David sais angrily, "I'm not some sort of– I am a member of society!"

"You were." Noel said. "You were a member of society, but you aren't now. Now you're a werewolf, a new lonely one. You're going to have to get used to feeling like an outsider, because in this world, in the wizarding society that's exactly what you are." Noel didn't mean to sound rude but he was looking at her with a faint face of disgust and anger. He was one of them, whether he liked it or not.

Remus cleared his throat and glared at her, "What she means to say is that it's easier with people who understand your pain. It's easier to accept it when you're surrounded by people who embrace their differences. Life will be harder now, you won't be able to get a job and ordinary witches and wizards will look down at you but it doesn't mean your life is completely over."

"I'm really a werewolf aren't I?" David said disgutted.

"Yeah."

"Fucking hell. I have a lot to ask but I don't want to intrude on your visit," he said pointing to Mr and Mrs Weasley who were still having a row. David grimaced and turned back to face him. "Just come back and answer my questions."

"Of course." Remus nodded, now sitting in the last chair. He looked at Noel wearily who was clutching her head again. "Uh, Noel?"

Noel fisted her hair in her hands and tried to calm the racing headache. She didn't stop to think about what was going to happen to her when she was in a building with injured people. She had to heal Mr Weasley, she could practically smell the venom in his blood. Closing her eyes she focused on not letting her magic out.

Standing up, she walked over to Mr Weasley, now effectively shutting the two adults up who looked at her worriedly.

"Are you alright dear?" Mrs Weasley put a hand on her shoulder, but jumped back immediately when she felt a lighting shock. Her eyes flew to Remus but before she could call him over Noel closed the curtains around Mr Weasley's cot.

"I'm sorry, but I can smell the venom, I have to– can I hold your hand please?" Noel said hurriedly, sounding a bit hysteric. She clutched Mr Weasley's hand and let all the magic pulse through her body. The gold magic left her hands like a stream of water and transformed into strands of ribbon. The strands wrapped themselves around his body and soaked into his skin. Mr Wesley looked like he wanted to let go but his rigid shoulders had relaxed and the color was returning to his face.

His deep gashes were stitching themselves closed, and the stickers that they had put on him, fell off and the skin there smoothed out.

It was a lot and some of the snake venom leaked out before the gashes were closed. Noel was exhausted, she had never healed someone as injured as he was and mixed with the fact that he had poisonous venom in him took a lot of energy from her.

Finally, Noel let his hand go, and Mr Wesley lifted himself up, inspecting his injuries. He looked at Noel, shocked not understanding.

"I'm tired." She mumbled, slumping back into the chair.

Now back at Hogwarts, Harry made his way down to the dungeons where his Occlumency lesson would be taking place. Snape had showed up the last day of holiday letting him know about these lessons that Dumbledore thought was a good idea for him to take.

He paused outside the door when he reached it, wishing he were almost anywhere else, then, taking a deep breath, knocked, and entered. It was a shadowy room lined with shelves bearing hundreds of glass jars in which floated slimy bits of animals and plants, suspended in variously colored potions.

"Shut the door behind you, Potter."

Harry did as he was told with the horrible feeling that he was imprisoning himself as he did so. When he turned back to face the room Snape had moved into the light and was pointing silently at the chair opposite his desk. Harry sat down and so did Snape, his cold black eyes fixed unblinkingly upon Harry, dislike etched in every line of his face.

After Snape took the time to explain to Harry the art of Occlumency and Legilimency, Harry was instructed to stand up and take his wand out.

Harry got to his feet feeling nervous. They faced each other with the desk between them.

"You may use your wand to attempt to disarm me, or defend yourself in any other way you can think of," said Snape.

"And what are you going to do?" Harry asked, eyeing Snape's wand apprehensively.

"I am about to attempt to break into your mind," said Snape softly. "We are going to see how well you resist. I have been told that you have already shown aptitude at resisting the Imperius Curse... You will find that similar powers are needed for this... Brace yourself, now... Legilimens!"

He was five, watching Dudley riding a new red bicycle, and his heart was bursting with jealousy... He was nine, and Ripper the bulldog was chasing him up a tree and the Dursleys were laughing below on the lawn... He was sitting under the Sorting Hat, and it was telling him he would do well in Slytherin... Hermione was lying in the hospital wing, her face covered with thick black hair... A hundred dementors were closing in on him beside the dark lake... Cho was drawing nearer to him under the mistletoe...

He felt a sharp pain in his knee. Snape's office had come back into view and he realized that he had fallen to the floor; one of his knees had collided painfully with the leg of Snape's desk. He looked up at Snape, who had lowered his wand and was rubbing his wrist. There was an angry weal there, like a scorch mark.

"Did you mean to produce a Stinging Hex?" asked Snape coolly.

"No," said Harry bitterly, getting up from the floor.

"I thought not," said Snape contemptuously. "You let me get in too far. You lost control."

"Did you see everything I saw?" Harry asked, unsure whether he wanted to hear the answer.

"Flashes of it," said Snape, his lip curling. "To whom did the dog belong?"

"My Aunt Marge," Harry muttered, hating Snape.

"Well, for a first attempt that was not as poor as it might have been," said Snape, raising his wand once more. "You managed to stop me eventually, though you wasted time and energy shouting. You must remain focused. Repel me with your brain and you will not need to resort to your wand."

"I'm trying," said Harry angrily, "but you're not telling me how!"

"Manners, Potter," said Snape dangerously. "Now, I want you to close your eyes."

Harry threw him a filthy look before doing as he was told. He did not like the idea of standing there with his eyes shut while Snape faced him, carrying a wand. "Clear your mind, Potter," said Snape's cold voice. "Let go of all emotion..."

But Harry's anger at Snape continued to pound through his veins like venom. Let go of his anger? He could as easily detach his legs...

"You're not doing it, Potter...You will need more discipline than this... Focus, now..."

Harry tried again but this time instead of hearing Snape's monotone voice, he heard Noel's. Noel who had told him the previous year to clear his mind with a soft, gentle voice. Harry remembered feeling safe when she had told him to close her eyes to trust her.

But Noel wasn't there, her pretty eyes and pretty smile wasn't there in the room with him.

"I want you back here, same time on Wednesday, and we will continue work then." Snape said as the lesson was deemed to be unsuccessful.

"Fine," said Harry. He was desperate to get out of Snape's office and find his friends.

"You are to rid your mind of all emotion every night before sleep — empty it, make it blank and calm, you understand?"

"Yes," said Harry, who was barely listening.

"And be warned, Potter...I shall know if you have not practiced ..."

"Right," Harry mumbled. He picked up his schoolbag, swung it over his shoulder, and hurried toward the office door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 48 46
Haunted by her second year and now with a murderer on the loose, Gwenevere Everill finds herself facing more battles that she does not think she can...
17.1K 541 47
Metanoia [meh - ta - noy - ah] • Greek (n.) The journey of changing one's mind, heart, self or way of life PS-CoS Completed? Unfinished? ✔ Edited...
40 0 12
╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗ "To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ...
368K 10.6K 52
Let's read a story. One about a girl who grew up in her own mind. Times she was too deep in her own thoughts when people talked not to realize how mu...