What Once Was

By midnightonthehill

You move to Gotham for school and quickly take up a job in a local bar. Having stumbled into your work one ev... More

Chapter 1: Keep Chasing my Shadows
Chapter 2: Feel Like a Brand New Person
Chapter 3: Jealousy, Jealousy
Chapter 4: Good Days
Chapter 5: Bar-t-t-tender
Chapter 6: The Man
Chapter 7: I Am Not Fireproof
Chapter 8: Dead of Night
Chapter 9: You Get Me So High
Chapter 10: See You on a Dark Night
Chapter 11: Something in the Way
Chapter 12: Cheer Up [Gotham]
Chapter 13: Hot Coffee
Chapter 14: Want You So Bad
Chapter 15: Disorder
Chapter 16: Under Cover of Darkness
Chapter 17: Dark Red
Chapter 18: In Nightmares
Chapter 19: Love on the Line
Chapter 20: Falling For You
Chapter 21: Space Song
Chapter 22: The Perfect Girl
Chapter 23: Asleep
Chapter 24: Shoot You Down
Chapter 25: Ave Maria
Chapter 26: Little Dark Age
Chapter 27: You Can Stay
Chapter 28: Lucky Ones
Chapter 29: Good Looking
Chapter 30: You Don't Own Me
Chapter 31: Gentle Squeeze
Chapter 32: Where is My Mind?
Chapter 33: Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby
Chapter 34: Love Will Tear Us Apart
Chapter 35: Don't Be a Stranger
Chapter 36: Without You
Chapter 37: Me and My Husband (we're doing better)
Chapter 38: I Am Just a Freak!
Chapter 40: Call It Fate, Call It Karma
Chapter 41: Bad Things
Chapter 42: How Soon Is Now?
Chapter 43: Hearing Damage
Chapter 44: I'm Just Trying to Get Some Sleep
Chapter 45: Gilded Lily
Chapter 46: Apocalypse
Chapter 47: Gone Forever
Author's note & story playlist :')

Chapter 39: Art Deco

348 12 1
By midnightonthehill

"Are you okay? You seem... off..." I turned my head, questioning Eddie with a mouth full of popcorn. He hadn't spoken a word in over an hour, despite him usually being full of questions whenever I was the one to decide on what movie we were watching.

"What? Um... yeah..." He replied, looking visibly shaken from some sort of trance.

"Remind me to remind you that you should never go into acting". I joked, shoving another handful of popcorn into my mouth.

"(Y/N)... I need to ask you something..." He mumbled, finally turning to look at me.

"Okay..." I paused the TV, turning to look at him fully, one eyebrow raised in confusion.

"So, um... there's this work thing tomorrow night... like a ball of some sort. I was wondering if you'd like to go with me... but it's okay if not! There's no pressure. I don't really want to go myself but my boss-"

"Eddie! Of course I'll go with you! Were you really nervous to ask me that?!" I cut him off, excitement practically radiating off my body. I hadn't gotten out much since the shooting. The boredom was starting to eat me alive.

"Oh thank god... (Y/N), thank you! If I'm being honest, I hate my co-workers and I hate my boss and they all hate me too, but... Jesus... thank you. I really couldn't do it without you..." He sighed, a look of relief painted on his face.

"Hey... it's okay! We're a team, aren't we?" I scrambled over to where he was sitting on the other side of the couch before placing a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"I know... it's just-"

"It's just nothing! I wouldn't miss it for the world. And you know what, fuck your co-workers! And your boss! Any enemy of Edward Nashton is an enemy of mine". I teased, nudging him on the shoulder.

"God... I love you so much". He cooed.

"And I love you too. So... what're the details? Where's this fancy pancy ball at? What do I need to wear to this fancy pancy ball, hmm?"

"It's at the Palace Theatre. 7pm. Black tie formal..."

"Ooo, this is well and truly fancy pancy, isn't it?" I teased again.

"Don't make me feel bad, (Y/N). Every year I have tried to avoid this stupid thing. Every. Single. Year. New year, new excuse. This year my meat-head boss wouldn't take no for an answer. Fuck... I don't even fucking own a suit. What am I supposed to do?" He rubbed his temples in frustration.

"Hey! Don't stress it! What are your measurements? I could always go out and get you something to wear tomorrow". I rubbed his back reassuringly.

"I couldn't tell you, (Y/N). I've never had the money... nor the reason... to own a fucking suit". He lifted his head from his hands to look at me. His eyes were glazed with tears.

"Give me a sec..." I shot up from my seat and dashed to my kitchen.

"What are you do-"

"One second!" I cut him off as I rummaged through my cabinets.

"(Y/N)..."

"Just a min- got it!" I shouted, practically sprinting back to the living room before pulling Eddie to his feet.

"Stand still..." I demanded, using the tape measure my dad had thankfully given me when I moved to size Eddie up.

"There we go! Amazing! I've got your measurements, I'll pick you up a suit tomorrow". I smiled up at him.

"(Y/N)... I can't ask you to do that". Eddie grabbed both of my cheeks.

"Well it just so happens that you're not asking. Just... think of it as a... gift".

"I don't deserve you, (Y/N)".

           ——————————————————

"Promise your eyes are closed?" I shouted from my bedroom.

"I promise". Eddie shouted back.

"Pinky promise?"

"(Y/N), I pinky promise". He giggled.

"Okay. I'm coming out! You better keep your eyes closed!"

I checked myself out in the mirror one last time. I'd bought a dark green, velvet ball gown that afternoon. It had a corset-style midriff and came with a matching pair of gloves. I'd spent the past few hours styling my hair using my mother's old rollers. For the first time in a long time, I felt... pretty. Well, as pretty as I could feel with a giant scar on my shoulder.

"Ta-da!" I exclaimed, arms out theatrically wide as Eddie opened his eyes.

"Oh..." Eddie's jaw dropped to the floor. I watched as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

"You don't like it..." I dipped my head, suddenly feeling very insecure.

"No! God no, (Y/N)... Jesus... it's just.. you look... incredible". His eyes welled with tears.

"You really think so? It's not too much, is it?" I smoothed out the wrinkles of the fabric covering my thighs.

"No. It's... perfect. You're perfect. You're... breathtaking".

"Eh... this old thing? I just threw it on". I teased.

"What did I do to deserve a woman as beautiful as you?" Eddie gently placed his hand under my chin, like I would break into a thousand pieces if he used even the slightest bit of pressure.

"Eh, enough about me! I left your suit on my bed, go try it on!" I pushed his shoulders in the direction of my bedroom.

"Promise you'll keep your eyes closed?" He teased.

"I pinky promise". I laughed, screwing my eyes shut.

I stood waiting with my eyes closed in my living room for what felt like an eternity before Eddie finally shouted from my bedroom.

"Ready?"

"Very". I shouted back.

"Voilà!" I peeled my eyes open only to be met with the most beautiful man I had ever laid eyes on. I'd bought him the most expensive black suit I could afford. With a white shirt underneath, his look was finished off by a green velvet tie that matched my dress perfectly.

"Holy shit... Edward Nashton, you scrub up very well, if I do say so myself". I felt myself now welling up at how good he looked. But mainly, it was because he looked... different. He looked confident. I'd never seen confident Eddie before.

"You think?" His cheeks flushed pink from embarrassment.

"Damn right I do!" I reached up to kiss him on the cheek. Even with heels, he still towered over me.

"Thank you, (Y/N). For this... for everything".

"Don't sweat it. Anyway... c'mon, let's go! We don't wanna be too late".

          ——————————————————-

"Maybe we should just... I don't know... maybe we should just go back to your place. We could order take out and share a bottle of wine an-"

"Eddie, you're okay. You can do this". I cut him off, fixing his tie as we stood outside the Palace Theatre.

The truth was that I felt like a fish out of water and I damn near needed the reassurance just as much as he did.

"I'm okay?" I watched his chest heave, like he was trying to stop himself from unravelling on the spot.

"You're. Okay... okay?" I grabbed his hand and squeezed it in an attempt to comfort him.

"...okay".

"Okay. Now, c'mon. Let's show 'em what you're made of, Mr Nashton". We linked arms before heading inside.

The Theatre was even more gorgeous than I could have possibly imagined. It felt like I had stepped back in time. Everything was dripped in gold and red velvet. Classical music was playing gently over some hidden speakers above. I held tightly onto Eddie's arms, trying desperately not to trip over onto the expensive carpet beneath my tall heels. It looked almost too lavish to even stand on. Men in black tuxedos stood around the edge of the room, balancing trays of champagne flutes on their palms. Eddie grabbed us both a glass.

"Jesus... this tastes like piss". I whispered to him, trying to hide the look of disgust on my face. I'd never drank champagne before.

"Yeah... if this is what champagne tastes like, I don't want to be rich". He whispered back, causing me to let out a hearty laugh that caught the unwanted attention of the snotty people around us.

"Who's paying for this shit anyway? This is insane..."

"Working people. Honest people. People like you, (Y/N). This is why I didn't want to come. This whole thing is such... bullshit". He scoffed, trying to hide his anger, but his face was an open book and told the entire story.

"I might fuck off the whole psychology thing and become an accountant instead, what do ya think?" I joked.

"I think that would be a complete and utter waste of your character. Anyway... I'll go get us something proper to drink, okay?" Eddie brushed my good shoulder gently before turning to the bar

"Make it fucking strong". I mouthed to him, causing him to let out a loud, hearty laugh this time.

And so I was then left alone, stood awkwardly, fiddling with my purse whilst people watching those around me. The feeling of a warm hand pressed against the small of my back was what brought me out of my trance. I snapped my head around instinctively, almost giving myself whiplash in the process.

"I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to sneak up on you... Paul". A tall man stood before me. Dressed in a finely pressed suit, his skin was smooth. Features as sharp as a razor. He had dark brown hair that was perfectly gelled into place. He stuck out his hand, gesturing to shake mine as he introduced himself.

"(Y/N)". I replied coldly, but still reciprocating his gesture.

"(Y/N)... you don't work for me, do you? I'd like to think I'd remember a face as pretty as yours".

Jesus, what a creep.

"I'm afraid not, Paul. I am merely here with someone". I forced a closed-lipped smile onto my face.

"Is that so? And whom may that be?"

"They were out of pinot grigio so I got you a sauvignon blanc. Hope that's oka- Oh... hi sir". Eddie froze in his tracks, before handing me my drink, suddenly looking very nervous again.

"Nashton! Don't you scrub up well". Paul ruffled Eddie's hair, like he was a child dressed up for his first school prom.

Dick.

"(Y/N), I see you've met my boss. Paul Cannon. Sir, this is my girlfriend, (Y/N) (L/N)". Eddie placed his hand on the small of my back. From his touch I could tell that he was trembling.

"Girlfriend? How the hell did you pull that one off, Nashton? You know (Y/N), I don't think I've ever seen Edward speak more than a few words to the women in the office". Paul laughed. I felt my hand clench up into a first. Knuckles turning white with anger.

"I-"

"Eddie is a lovely man. Kind. Very intelligent. You're lucky to have him on your team". I cut Eddie off. Rage now coursing through my veins, but somehow still managing to maintain my composure.

"Well... it looks like none of us know the real Edward then. Anyway, I'll leave you both to your evening. It was nice meeting you, (Y/N)". Paul grabbed my gloved hand and placed a gentle kiss onto it. I forced another polite smile onto my face. Before walking away, he patted Eddie on the back and whispered something into his ear, but I couldn't make out exactly what he said.

"What a fucking cunt". I whispered to Eddie, linking arms with him once more.

"God I hate him. They're all like that. Every single one. Yet they wonder why I don't talk to them".

"I'm sorry Eddie. I shouldn't have dragged you here". I sighed, a feeling of extreme guilt washing over me.

"No! (Y/N), it's not your fault. I was the one who brought you here. It's me that should be apologising". He gently caressed my cheek and I lent into his touch.

"Well, we're already here now. The bar is free and we look damn good, so I say we make the most of it".

Eddie and I proceeded to bleed the bar dry. I'd never seen him this tipsy before. His cheeks were blushed pink and he finally loosened up a little. We stood in the corner of the room, watching everyone around us, laughing at their little mannerisms and pathetic attempts to come across as well-off. A couple of speeches were made, and I couldn't maintain my composure throughout any of them. Eddie had to nudge me on the arm a few times to shut me up. The alcohol also ment that Eddie relaxed enough to dance with me.

"Just so you know, I've got two left feet". He giggled as I dragged him by the hand to the dance floor.

"I don't care. Just follow my lead". I placed one of his hands on my hip and grabbed the other, entangling our fingers.

"Like this?"

"Nearly. You need to look at me. Also I would appreciate if you stopped standing on my toes". I giggled.

"I- um... I'm sorry". He mumbled, cheeks turning red again from embarrassment.

God he's so sweet.

"It's okay. You're getting there honey". I offered him a warm, reassuring smile.

"Say that again".

"I- what?" I cocked my head slightly in confusion.

"Honey. You've not called me that in ages. Do you remember calling me honey the night we met?"

"Vaguely. I do remember you making me very nervous though". I giggled, casting my mind back to the very first night Eddie stepped foot in the bar.

"Oh... did I make you uncomfortable?" His eyes opened wide, a look of concern on his face.

"No! God no... I jus- I thought you were very pretty. You had a certain... mystery, to you. And when you left without saying anything, I was worried that would be the first and last time I'd ever see you". I confessed as we continued to dance hand-in-hand.

"Seriously?!" His mouth fell open slightly.

"Seriously... honey". I winked at him.

"I wish I could fuck you right now". He groaned. Eyes filled with lust.

"Edward Nashton! We are at a formal event! Don't be so crude!" I joked.

"Sorry to interrupt... Nashton, would you mind if I borrowed your beautiful girlfriend for this song?" I turned my head in the direction of the sound to be met, yet again, by Eddie's boss. Before Eddie could even respond, Paul had slipped in between the pair of us, grabbing my hand and twirling me around.

Looks like I've got no fucking choice, Paul.

"I'll be at the bar... okay angel?" He grimaced and I nodded.

"Having a good night?" Paul asked, looking down at me. His size was extremely daunting.

I took a hard gulp before I responded.

"Not bad. Not exactly what I'm used to though. You?" I giggled uncomfortably. His grip seemingly getting tighter and tighter on my waist.

"Better now. Interesting scar by the way. How'd you get that?". His eyes shot to my shoulder.

"I was shot". I offered him a toothy grin. His face immediately dropped.

"That was you? The person who got shot at William Johnson's funeral? By the... Riddler?" His face was an absolute picture. I was struggling to contain my laughter.

"Alive and in the flesh. And it wasn't the Riddler by the way... just one of his groupies".

"Well I'll be damned. You're an interesting woman, (Y/N)".

"Never a dull moment in my life, Mr Cannon". I replied nonchalantly.

He spun me around once more.

"I've got to ask... how much did he pay you?" He asked softly, leaning in far too close to my face.

"I'm sorry Paul, I don't quite follow..." I raised an eyebrow at him in confusion.

"Nashton... how much did he pay you?" He smirked.

"Pay me?"

"Oh c'mon sweetheart, you know what I mean". He cocked his head to one side slightly, his gaze burning into my flesh.

"I'm not an escort, Mr Cannon! And I don't appreciate the accusation! In fact, I find it very insulting! Do you ask that to all the partners of the men that work for you?!" I wrestled my hand away from his. Rage pulsating through my veins once more.

"No... I'm terribly sorry, (Y/N). I didn't mean to offend you. It's just... none of us can quite believe Edward is dating someone, well... like you". He placed his hand on my forearm in an attempt to calm me down.

"If you all took the time to get to know Edward, you'd see just how incredible he actually is! Jesus... I can't believe this..." I huffed, rubbing my forehead out of frustration.

Suddenly the room fell silent.

I looked around to be met by faces painted with pure horror.

Muffled whispers seeped into the air.

Eyes were glued to phones.

"Sir... you're going to want to see this..." A man approached Paul and I. I used it as an excuse to slip away from him and make my way back to Eddie at the bar. His eyes were also glued to his phone screen.

"What's going on?" I tapped him on the shoulder, now feeling very bewildered.

Eddie looked up from his phone. I couldn't read the expression on his face.

"There's been an explosion at the Wayne Tower".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 141 32
A riddlebat fanfic riddled with angst, lactose intolerance, and love confessions. Bruce Wayne, the Batman, goes undercover on a social media website...
14K 467 13
Niara Caddel was the daughter of a high up DA, she was unaware how corrupt they are until a certain somebody showed up. The Batman Edward Nashton/ R...
20.8K 530 14
Xenization (n.) -The act of existing as a stranger. ----------------------- Edward Nashton (the riddler) x Fem Reader Warning: Smut, Violence, curs...