THE CONTRACT (The Chosen Seri...

By knightwaters

{MATURE +18} I am strong, I am resilient, I am fire... ***************************************************... More

AUTHORS NOTE & CHARACTER GUIDE
LUNCH DATE
WE ARE FAMILY
BURN BABY BURN
EVEN DOVES CRY
COCK BLOCK
WHERE ARE YOU NOW
FIDO
MO THINE
BITCH PLEASE
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE
HOW TO BREAK A BOND
BUSTED
CHECKMATE
COINS
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
YOU'RE A WIZARD
PAIN AT FIRST SIGHT
WANNA PLAY
DO MONSTER'S CRY
I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT
DONT HATE ME TOMORROW
LAST CHRISTMAS I GAVE YOU MY HEART
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS KICK IN THE BALLS
TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE
BLACK HOLE
CRUZE THE NIGHT AWAY
BORN TO RUN
DANCING ON MY OWN
HOT SHOWER
STRONGER
HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
WHO'S THAT GIRL
YOUR SECRETS AND LIES
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
SAVAGE GARDEN
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
BESTIES
I NEED A HERO
THE FIRST TIME EVER IS SAW YOUR FACE
YELLOW BRICK ROAD
IF YOU JUST SMILE
PRETTY WOMAN
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
HOME SWEET HOME
MY HEART IS YOURS
HERE'S A STORY - OF A MAN NAMED BRADY
AT LAST, MY LOVE HAS COME ALONG
IT'S TOO LATE TO APOLOGIZE
FIGHT FOR YOU
I'LL STAND BY YOU
EPILOGUE
SNEEK PEAK

I JUST CALLED TO SAY...

3.4K 224 56
By knightwaters

"I'm sorry, Mo Thine," Liam replies. His voice carries a weight of exhaustion, a hint of resignation. "I just... needed to hear your voice."

I let my body sag, sliding down until I'm sitting on the floor, the rough floorboards pressing against my backside. "It's good to hear from you too," I respond sincerely. Despite everything, there's a part of me that will always hold a special place for him, tucked away in the corners of my soul.

Silence stretches between us, and I wait for Liam to say something more. When he doesn't, I break the quiet. "So, how are things? How's the family?" I ask, unable to resist. Maybe I'm a bit of a masochist, but as Chrissy Amphlett from the Divinyls sang, there's a fine line between pleasure and pain. "And how's the... queen bee?"

A soft chuckle filters through the line from Liam. "She's a handful, as always," he replies, his voice tinged with amusement.

Ah, his accent. "And you?" I ask, my gaze drifting to the windows, the morning sunlight streaming through, warming my face. Damir will be here shortly.

"There are days when I wake up, and I just..." Liam pauses, exhaling heavily, his deep breaths audible through the phone. "I just want to be someone else."

"I know the feeling," I say, though my voice carries a light note.

"I'm serious. I never asked for this... responsibility." Liam's voice is almost a whisper as he utters the last word.

My fingers start tapping, and my right leg begins to bounce. "Can't you say no?"

Liam sighs. "There's no one else who can fill the role."

"You're telling me there aren't other wolves at the Ranch who could lead? Liam, I call bullshit," I retort, my sarcasm unmasked.

"You don't understand. Not just anyone can be Alpha of the Mac Tíre Dubh," Liam responds, frustration evident in his voice, followed by a thud in the background as if he's kicked something.

I recall our conversation with Siobhan back at the Ranch about Ava's father and Patrick in the line for Alpha after Griffin's father died. Ava's bloodline was powerful. "It's about the bloodlines, isn't it?"

"Yes," Liam exhales.

"And a Brady, Hughes, and O'Connel, carry the bloodline?" I hear Liam murmur in agreement. "Are there any other families that hold the same power?"

"Mo Thine, I didn't call you for a family tree discussion," Liam grits out.

"Well then, I'll just let your brooding ass go if you aren't interested in talking," I snap back, feeling a stab of pain in my gut at the thought of ending the call.

"Please, just, can we talk about other things, Erin?" I can hear the pleading in his voice.

"Like what, Liam?" Despite the pain, I'm still irritated. "Why don't we talk about your upcoming mating to Roisin?"

"Mo Thine!" Liam growls, and tears sting my eyes. Even the mere thought of them together makes me want to throw up.

"I've got to go," I tell him, knowing there's no point in drawing this out. "It's obvious, Liam, that neither of us is happy with our situation. But talking doesn't help. We need to forget each other and move on with our lives."

"I've tried to forget you, but you're there when I close my eyes. You're my last thought and my first," his voice breaks, and my heart cracks even more.

"We've got to find a way to stop this, Liam. It's not good for either of us," I murmur, even though my insides are screaming at me to say otherwise.

He remains silent for a while, with only the sounds of his breathing coming through the line. "I know," Liam sighs, taking another deep breath, weariness evident in his tone. "But hearing your voice is the only thing that calms him." Then, on a strained note, he adds, "It's tearing us in two."

Oh, my heart! Those words. I know Fido has acknowledged his connection to me, and as much as I try to deny it, there's something between us. But his human part, the practical part, the wiser side, Liam, has rejected it at every turn. And so have I...

I still don't understand the connection between us. Griffin's been silent on the matter, but I know wolf shifters don't mix with others. Even though other shifter factions can safely mate with other breeds, only a she-wolf can take their knot and successfully deliver a were child in the wolf community.

It's been tried and tested, and every time failed. What Viktor made Griffin do has proven that.

It doesn't mean the sex isn't fantastic. We just can't complete the process, our internals don't match. There's something in our DNA that rejects the child's incubation.

"What do you want me to say, Liam?" My emotions are also in turmoil.

"Give me a truth, Erin. Do you feel the same way?"

Damn him! This is the first time he has asked me one of my three questions, and I have to give him an honest answer. Attempting to buy some time, I am purposely obtuse. "Which part, Liam?"

Breathing deeply, the timber in his voice changes, becoming more animal. He replies, "that you are meant to be mine?"

Immediately, I know I'm speaking to Fido, my heart singing at the sound of his wolf. My Wolf. No, not mine!

Liam once again has lost control. Before I can even think what to say, my lips move to form a single word. "Yes."

I hear the elevator chime, my front door slowly opening, and I listen to the sound of Damir's solid footsteps on my wood floors below.

"I've got to go," I tell Fido, and I shudder when I hear him whine on the other end of the line. Not hesitating, I end the call and draw heat to the tips of my fingers, gently patting the corners of my eyes to remove the moisture.

I stand up, dust off my jeans, and place my phone back inside my jacket pocket. Exiting my room, I walk towards the stairs and wave at my chauffeur for the day, dressed in his custom dark suit and tie. "Morning, Erin," I force a grin, thankful that Damir no longer uses "Cкучать" when he speaks to me. It's less formal and puts us on more familiar terms.

"Morning, Duber," I reply, causing Damir to laugh at my lame joke of combining Damir and Uber.

"Are you ready?" Damir asks, checking his Rolex. "You said Ava would be arriving at Eleanore Couture at 11:00. If we leave now, we should arrive right on time."

I nod and grab my handbag from the counter. Earlier in the week, Ava called to inform me that she had finally scheduled an appointment with Elenore for herself and Reagan to choose their claiming dresses. Elenore is renowned in the supernatural community as the most sought-after dress designer and happens to be a close personal friend of Alexei. Admittedly, we may have pulled some strings, but since Alexei has already initiated several gown ideas for our own bonding, why not make the most of the opportunity?

As Damir guides me to the car, my mind still in a fog, I retrieve my phone from my jacket. The screen lights up, indicating two unread messages. Swiping to unlock, I tap on the message icon and see one from Ava and one from Alexei. Opting to read Ava's message first, I tap on it.

We're just arrived in the city. See you soon. P.S. Don't kill me... A 10:35 AM

I roll my eyes. Siobhan is probably driving her. Griffin insisted that she have company for the trip, worried about the distance. Since Reagan's claiming is next, it makes sense for them to travel together. Setting aside my annoyance, I focus on Alexei's text instead.

Princess, Elenore has several designs waiting for you. I can't wait to see you in them... BAC 10:30 AM

I close my eyes and turn off my phone, allowing Damir's steady driving to calm me.

********************************************

We arrive exactly as Damir predicted, right on time. He maneuvers the Escalade into the reserved parking space and opens the door for me. No longer lost in my thoughts, I chuckle and take his hand, allowing him to escort me out onto the curb just outside the exclusive boutique.

Despite still being winter, I can sense its impending end. The air is less biting, the days not as cold, and daylight lasting a little longer.

As I gaze up at the two-story black brick building with "Elenore Couture" elegantly scripted in gold lettering above the white and gold double doors, I spot Ava through one of the frosted display windows, standing behind a magnificent wedding gown. "Ava's inside."

"I need to make a quick phone call and will join you shortly," Damir responds, exhaling mist as he takes out his phone.

"Calling your boyfriend?" I tease, observing Damir's cheeks flush red.

"No," he replies curtly.

"No to calling Bass, or no to him being your boyfriend?"

Bass has been in constant contact with Damir and Alexei since the party. And even though my questions are supposed to be a joke, I do wonder why. Damir just gives me one of his classic stony looks in reply.

"You know you don't have to come inside," I tell him, pointing to the boutique. "But I would love to see you all in white. I think an empire waist gown would look amazing on you and will accentuate your bust."

Damir smirks and cocks a brow, "I'm more than happy to wait outside for you."

I pout, but Damir knows that it's just for show. I enjoy his company and had to almost twist his arm to come with me. What can I say? I want his opinion. If anyone knows Alexei's tastes, it's him. Damir chuckles, and I turn, making my way to the double doors.

As I step into the boutique, the subtle scent of vanilla and lavender fills the air, offering a sense of tranquility. Approaching the reception desk, adorned with polished dark wood and white marble, I announce my arrival to the hostess. She greets me with wide eyes, assuring me she will inform Elenore of my presence, mentioning that my friends are currently exploring the public collection in one of the rooms.

"You're here!" Ava cries, rushing over to me as soon as she spots me in the foyer. Suppressing a chuckle at her swift movement, I return her warm smile. It's clear that my BFF's stomach has grown since I last saw her at Yule, just over six weeks ago. "I'm so glad you made it."

Wrapping her in a tight hug, I plant a playful kiss on her cheek. "Aw, did you miss me that much?" I tease.

Stepping back, Ava, dressed in dark maternity jeans and a peasant blouse, radiates a maternal glow. With a groan, she wipes away the lipstick I playfully planted on her cheek. "Yeah, that," she admits, her tone somewhat sheepish. Then, she guides me aside, turning me around so I face away from the rooms she just left, wearing an expression tinged with hesitation.

"Spill."

"Promise not to kill me?" Ava responds, twirling her curls and tapping her boot impatiently.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, I can't exactly harm you. You're carrying my niece or nephew in there."

Ava grins mischievously and nods towards someone behind me. "Alright, it seems I'm not the only one trying on wedding gowns today."

I raise my eyebrow, prompting her to continue. I already know that Reagan's here.

"Hello, Erin. Are you here to assist us in picking out our dresses?" A highly annoying voice fills the room, sounding like the pole stuck up her ass has gone even deeper.

Summoning every shred of my limited patience, I take a deep breath, don my best resting bitch face, and turn. "Hello, Roisin."

******************************
Evening Readers

Poor Fido/Liam - everything within him is screaming to be with Erin. If only there was a way 😉

Love, love, love ❤️ The comments - some of them have made me rethink my plans for book 3 - it's all still a game of dice - where will this story fall????

X0xoxoxoxoxo

KnightWaters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 3.8K 47
"Oh, so you're part of this kidnapping posse too? I am not a possession! I have a life that I was abruptly plucked out of without my input all becaus...
51.7K 2.1K 28
(Previously titled Sole Soul) After finding a grime covered, scar riddled, and clearly tormented man hiding in her garage, Rebecca-a shifter scorned...
106K 1.9K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
2K 238 14
"Oh Vixen, I'm not going to kill you, No. That would be too easy, I'm going to rip you apart...I'll break your spirit and see you crumple at my feet...