THE CONTRACT (The Chosen Seri...

By knightwaters

{MATURE +18} I am strong, I am resilient, I am fire... ***************************************************... More

AUTHORS NOTE & CHARACTER GUIDE
LUNCH DATE
WE ARE FAMILY
BURN BABY BURN
EVEN DOVES CRY
COCK BLOCK
WHERE ARE YOU NOW
FIDO
MO THINE
BITCH PLEASE
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE
HOW TO BREAK A BOND
BUSTED
CHECKMATE
COINS
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
YOU'RE A WIZARD
PAIN AT FIRST SIGHT
WANNA PLAY
DO MONSTER'S CRY
I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT
DONT HATE ME TOMORROW
LAST CHRISTMAS I GAVE YOU MY HEART
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS KICK IN THE BALLS
TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE
BLACK HOLE
CRUZE THE NIGHT AWAY
BORN TO RUN
DANCING ON MY OWN
HOT SHOWER
STRONGER
HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
WHO'S THAT GIRL
YOUR SECRETS AND LIES
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
SAVAGE GARDEN
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
BESTIES
I NEED A HERO
THE FIRST TIME EVER IS SAW YOUR FACE
YELLOW BRICK ROAD
I JUST CALLED TO SAY...
PRETTY WOMAN
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
HOME SWEET HOME
MY HEART IS YOURS
HERE'S A STORY - OF A MAN NAMED BRADY
AT LAST, MY LOVE HAS COME ALONG
IT'S TOO LATE TO APOLOGIZE
FIGHT FOR YOU
I'LL STAND BY YOU
EPILOGUE
SNEEK PEAK

IF YOU JUST SMILE

3.9K 233 111
By knightwaters

When my family's no longer in sight, Alexei turns and releases a flood of energy out towards the ocean. The power is so intense that I'm grateful to Damir for holding off his explosion for as long as he did, waiting until there was no one to direct his rage.

"Well, I," Bass starts, then obviously thinks better of it, shaking his head. "Did not see that coming."

Me neither. Okay, that's a lie. There has always been something between Shay and Isla. An intangible connection, as if they are both one-half, together making a whole.

"It was obvious the boy was attached to the Маленький Bолк. Only a mate would risk their life like that," Damir replies, his gaze fixed on Alexei, who is panting heavily and fists clenched.

"I didn't mean the mate connection. I'm referring to the natural wolf. Shay's a Brady, isn't he?" Bass asks, his question directed to me, a dark eyebrow cocked.

I nod and try to understand what just happened. I stand there for a second, my head racing, and blink when I feel wetness on my forehead, moments before the rain begins. When my body begins to shake, I realize that I'm not feeling the best. My stomach rolls, and I can feel bile at the back of my throat. A Brady? Could Liam be? No, I've seen his wolf. Fido's eyes are yellow.

"Bass, take Erin back to her room," Damir instructs, his focus still on Alexei. "I will take care of things out here." I know he is referring to Alexei, who looks about ready to lose it.

"Hold up," I tell Bass when he moves to my side. "I think you owe me some kind of explanation about what just happened and what the hell Riam meant."

"Now isn't the time, Erin," Damir replies, and I see something I've never seen pass over Alexei's features. Grief.

"Come, Bella, Damir's correct. Now's not the time, at least not here." Bass, understanding more than I, takes my arm and pulls me back towards the Manor.

I growl but relent, starting to feel ill again as the adrenaline begins to seep from my body. I allow Bass to lead me back through the maze as exhaustion starts to take over. When we reach the conservatory, I pause and turn, thunder and lightning almost directly above us now. "What happened at the Belle Garden Bass, and don't mess with me."

Tugging me aside, moments before the lightning storm from Hell descends, Bass turns to face me. "It's where his Madre died, Bella. Annabelle jumped off the ledge and killed herself, leaving Alexei to witness the whole thing."

User

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that. Something inside me cracks, my heart squeezing so painfully that I struggle to breathe.

"Bella!" Bass cries and catches me when I fall, my legs no longer having the strength to hold me up. Everything around me spins. There is so much tragedy; the pain is overwhelming when I think of Isla and his mother. "It's okay, Bella, let it out." And I do. I cry, I wail, and I let my fire go, Bass thankfully taking it as if his body is starving, absorbing my flames rather than igniting himself.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I continue to let it flow from my body to his. The rain and wind are masking any sounds that occur as I drain myself. "Keep going, Bella. Letting your fire out is good for you. You shouldn't let it build up so much."

My lids flutter open, and I see that I have disintegrated his jackets and undershirt. My hands are flat against his bare chest, glowing. "How?" I mean, I know that Elementals can control, well, elements, and Bass can control several of them with fire as his main one. But how is his body not reacting?

"I'm fire, Bella. Like you, or I assume, like your mother was. We're of the same line, siblings almost." Bass smiles at me, and I also see a flash of pain in his eyes.

"What happened to your mother, Bass?" I ask, knowing that there is no good time to discuss this, and I might as well go for it.

Bass blinks down at me, and I see something fragile in his dark features. Pausing, I know he is contemplating what to say. Exhaling, he offers me a sad smile, "she died, Bella. Just like your madre." He doesn't need to add more.

When my fire is exhausted, and the wind picks up, I know the storm is only increasing. Thunder and lightning are clashing fiercely against the coast. I remove my hands from Bass's chest, surprised that I did not experience the same amount of pain I do with Alexei. With my dress and body now soaked, I move, reach out and open the doors to the conservatory and walk inside.

Deciding to take one of the servant's passages, Bass and I thankfully slip past the guests still celebrating the Yule, utterly unaware of what has just occurred, and make our way to Alexei's wing. Passing the library, I pause and enter, going directly to the large windows and peer out to the Belle garden.

The electrical storm is magnificent in its destructive beauty. I have never seen anything like it. "Is that normal?" I ask Bass as he comes to stand beside me.

"Alexei doesn't visit the Belle garden for obvious reasons. Watching our piccolo angelo fall must have triggered something deep within him. Also, Riam appearance didn't help. He was picking at a wound that has never healed."

I nod slowly and continue to watch the storm outside unfold.

*****************************************************************

Stirring from my sleep, I feel a gentle hand in my hair and slowly blink my eyes open. Alexei is sitting on the side of my bed, his clothes disheveled, and a faraway look is in his eyes. When he notices that I am awake, he removes his hand. "I am sorry мой маленький спитфайр. I," he pauses, his hands fidgeting and his left eye twitching.

Alexei's usual stoic manner is gone, and the man before me is, for lack of better words, a mess.

I lift myself into a sitting position, my back resting against the headboard, my hand automatically reaching out to take one of his gloved ones in mine. "Talk to me," I ask him.

"I," Alexei starts again, then stops. I use my other hand to wipe the sleep from my eyes, my vision clearing a little more so I can see that his eyes are red-rimmed. Pausing for another heartbeat, he shudders, and I think. No, I know, he's sobbing.

"Alexei." I tug on his hand and pull him further onto the bed, shuffling aside so his head can rest on my lap. The duvet is my only protection from his skin.

I draw on my fire and steel myself. When I know that I am partially protected against Alexei's charge, I reach out and run a finger through his hair. The gesture provides some form of comfort.

"I'm sorry." Alexei chokes out. "I, I didn't. I."

"Alexei, it's okay," I try to soothe.

"When I saw her on the ledge, I froze. I," Alexei sniffs, "I didn't mean to."

I bite back the tiny sting at the touch of his skin and try to remain in his hair. "Bass told me," I tell him. Alexei shudders and sniffs again.

"It bought back. God, Princess, when I saw Isla on the ledge when she fell. I..." His voice breaks.

"Tell me, Alexei. Tell me what happened to your mother. Maybe talking about it will help?" I've never been great with consoling others. Well, other than Ava and I guess you could also include Griffin when I was young. But something in Alexei's behavior has me rocked. This usually powerful, arrogant man is allowing himself to be vulnerable.

Alexei closes his eyes, wetness pooling at his lids. "Мать told the staff we were going on a picnic. She wanted some family time. She took us to the Belle garden. I remember that the day was warm, the sun was out, and I remember her smile." Alexei sniffs again, and I can hear the pain in his voice. "She had the most beautiful smile. Отец swore her smile lit up the room."

"When Alexei pauses again, I take a deep breath. 'Where was your father, Alexei?'

"He was away. I don't know, or I can't remember. But it was just us.' I see a smile form on his face. 'She was singing. Мать had not sung for a long time. I remember feeling happy when I heard her sing."

"Why had she not sung for a long time?" I ask.

"She had been unwell. Stayed in her bed for months," Alexei replies and sniffs again.

"What happened at the garden, Alexei?" My voice is gentle, soothing.

"We ate cake, and she sang. Smile. She would always sing that to me when I was sad or hurt myself. She would sing:

Smile Alexander,

Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near

That's the time
You must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just smile.

"We even danced a little. I thought I had my Mать back." Alexei closes his eyes tighter, tears streaking down his face.

"How did she do it?" I ask softly.

Alexei inhales. The movement is shaky. "We finished our cakes. She kissed us on the head. And she told me to be strong, to smile, Alexander." He sniffs, the sound wet. "Then she climbed up on the ledge." Alexei's voice cracks, and I feel wetness on my cheek and know I am crying, my heart feeling like it is lodged in my throat.

"She, she, blew us a kiss. Her smile was so big, but her eyes were wet." He exhales and sobs, "then she turned, raised her arms above her head, like she was going to fly, and then she was gone."

"Oh my God!" I use the back of my hand to wipe at my eyes, the tears freely flowing. "How old were you?"

"I was just about to turn four," Alexei murmurs through tears.

A thought occurs to me. "Alexei, you mentioned 'us,' but your father was not there. Who else was with you?"

"Damir," he whispers, his voice strained with emotion.

"Damir is younger. How old was he at the time?"

"He was three months old."

"Was there anyone else there?" I ask, cringing at the slight pitch of my voice.

"Just us." Oh my God. Alexei was left with a baby, all alone.

"How did you get back to the Manor?"

"Grigor found us. Damir was crying. I can't remember how long afterward, but it was dark, and we were both..." His voice cracks, "...wet. I had lost control of myself."

I've heard enough. I push up and remove Alexei's head from my lap. He turns, a look of absolute devastation on his face, assuming my rejection. I shake my head and help him to stand up, pulling back the duvet. "Take off your shoes and come to bed."

Shock, or maybe surprise, flashes over his features, but he doesn't hesitate, kicking off his shoes and moving to lie beside me, where Isla slept only hours before. "Rollover," I tell him, and when he's facing away, I lie down behind him, pulling the duvet up over us, and wrap my arms around his clothed waist. I can be his big spoon.

Alexei shakes and sobs again. "I lost control again, Princess," he confesses, referring to tonight.

"I know, but we can't always be perfect," I reassure him as I breathe him in. Sage and bergamot fill my senses.

"I was lost for so long," Alexei whispers. "And then one day, I walked into an underground room, and for the first time in a long time, I felt alive."

I wait and listen for him to continue. "And then I saw you, so young, so innocent. Lost like me. And I knew then that everything was going to be okay."

My heart clenches at his words, hearing the adoration in his voice as he continues. "I don't know what I would do if I lost you, мой маленький спитфайр."

I feel his gloved hand wrap tightly around mine, my engagement ring tucked between us. "I'm not going anywhere," I tell him and close my eyes, my mind and my heart locking away one thing: Liam.

*****************************************************************

The dynamic between Alexei and myself underwent a shift after that evening. My heart softened towards him.

The following day, after bidding goodbye to the remaining guests, Alexei arranged for Damir to escort me back to my apartment. We agreed that I would start packing up, with the larger household items I wish to keep being transferred to the Manor, and the essentials temporarily relocated to Alexei's apartment until our bonding—a small victory for me.

We've set the date for our union to be during Litha, the summer solstice. This time, it will be a more intimate affair, with only Bass, Damir, Stephan, Gerald, and Grigor from his side, and for me, Ava and Griffin. I've attempted to reach out to Isla, but Ava informs me that she has secluded herself in her study, engrossed in a project. She only emerges from her computer for meals, restroom breaks, exercise, and sleep, all of which are becoming less frequent, causing both Ava and me concern.

Griffin has reassured us that Isla's fine, explaining that she often becomes absorbed in her work like this. However, neither sibling divulges the details of her project. As for Shay, given his last encounter with Alexei, I believe it's best to keep them apart for now. Alexei still visibly tenses whenever Shay's name is mentioned.

I still have no idea what triggered Isla that night. Sometimes I wonder if her kiss with Shay played a role, but their relationship remains a mystery to me. If he's her true mate, why aren't they already bonded? Griffin has explained to me multiple times that it was a combination of factors: the alcohol, the crowd, the dance with Shay, and the kiss. All these elements combined triggered something from her past. Thankfully, Shay was able to get her home safely, even if she's become a bit of a workaholic since then.

As for Liam/Fido, communication with either of them has ceased. Griffin assures me it's under control, whatever that means. Liam and Roisin are busy planning their mating ceremony, which has been moved up and will now take place four weeks after Ava and Griffin's. My insides still burn when I think of Liam with another woman. But glasshouse and all that. I'm not one to throw stones.

I seal the last of the boxes and lean back, surveying my handiwork. Alright, I wouldn't exactly call it strenuous labor. Alexei arranged for a team to handle 90% of the packing, leaving me with just my clothes, shoes, and personal items to sort through. I insisted on doing it myself, but now I'm starting to regret that decision. Maybe I should have accepted Maria's offer to help. That grumpy old lady would have had this done days ago with her Marie Kondo-level organization skills. Even Ava could have finished packing these boxes in no time. I hate manual labor!

With the box labeled "Alexei's apartment" sitting on the bedroom floor, awaiting pickup by one of Alexei's staff later this afternoon, I glance at my now-empty closet and smile. Just then, my phone buzzes in my jacket pocket. Without bothering to retrieve it, I tap twice on my AirPods. "Erin speaking."

When there's no response, I fish my phone out of my jacket pocket to check the number. Leaning against the wall, I let out an exasperated sigh and thump my head lightly against the exposed brick when I see the name: Liam.

"Fido, I'm guessing this is you," I mutter, but again, there's no reply. "Alright, well, good talk. I'll catch you later." My thumb hovers over the end call button. I have no interest in playing these games, especially now that things with Alexei and I are finally settling.

"Wait, Erin. Please, just give me a moment," comes the unexpected response.

I'm stunned. The voice isn't Fido's. My heart skips a beat, and my nerves jump. "Liam?"

*********************************************************

Evening Readers

Okay - so there was no Isla revealing her heritage moment. What does this mean? All I can say is timing is perfect.

I hope you enjoyed this little insight into Alexei and why he may have reacted the way he did.

As for Bunny - I love Bunny... I will say that one of you readers has guessed what really happened. I have to say - I am impressed... I will not reveal the truth and I have to admit it will not be revealed until book 3 - but I do love me a good cliffhanger.

Now I will warn you all - I have ALMOST run out of material. My ability to write a chapter is getting harder due to work commitments. BUT we are at least 2/3 of the way through - SO I am working to smash out the rest before I pull the book.

What does this mean - it means that what I might post will not be edited fully and may change when it is posted in Galatea. But I think the gist will be the same.

I also want to note the following:

*** Erin - her contract to Alexei is IRON-CLAD - there is no way for her to break it without dying or having Alexei killed. So for all of you that want her to put her big girl panties on and be with Liam - She cant. 

This does not mean the contract can't be broken (but Erin doesn't know that and no one can read the contract as it is not only cursed but illegible due to the magic sealing it - pretty much it is all writing in magical code - I wonder if we know a code breaker?

*** Liam - his role as Alpha required him to carry on the wolf line - he cannot be with a non-she-wolf, etc., etc. So for all of you, that think he is weak - there is a MASSIVE reason why being Alpha of the Black Wolf clan is sacred - and NO I won't reveal that just yet.

However - do not fear, I have everything in order - and even if you don't like what happens or the outcome - it all works in the end (of book 3)

X0X0X0X0

KnightWaters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 238 14
"Oh Vixen, I'm not going to kill you, No. That would be too easy, I'm going to rip you apart...I'll break your spirit and see you crumple at my feet...
20.9K 523 58
This is book one of the series. Jordan shifts slightly in my lap so she can see my face. "Liam, I want you to mark me." She bluntly states and expose...
106K 1.9K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...
136K 9.2K 54
{MATURE +18} One step ahead of you. Stay in motion, keep an open mind. I've studied. I'm ready. The pieces on the board keep moving. But I've practic...