THE CONTRACT (The Chosen Seri...

De knightwaters

{MATURE +18} I am strong, I am resilient, I am fire... ***************************************************... Mais

AUTHORS NOTE & CHARACTER GUIDE
LUNCH DATE
WE ARE FAMILY
BURN BABY BURN
EVEN DOVES CRY
COCK BLOCK
WHERE ARE YOU NOW
FIDO
MO THINE
BITCH PLEASE
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE
HOW TO BREAK A BOND
BUSTED
CHECKMATE
COINS
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
YOU'RE A WIZARD
PAIN AT FIRST SIGHT
WANNA PLAY
DO MONSTER'S CRY
I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT
DONT HATE ME TOMORROW
LAST CHRISTMAS I GAVE YOU MY HEART
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS KICK IN THE BALLS
TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE
BLACK HOLE
CRUZE THE NIGHT AWAY
BORN TO RUN
DANCING ON MY OWN
HOT SHOWER
STRONGER
HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
WHO'S THAT GIRL
YOUR SECRETS AND LIES
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
SAVAGE GARDEN
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
BESTIES
I NEED A HERO
YELLOW BRICK ROAD
IF YOU JUST SMILE
I JUST CALLED TO SAY...
PRETTY WOMAN
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
HOME SWEET HOME
MY HEART IS YOURS
HERE'S A STORY - OF A MAN NAMED BRADY
AT LAST, MY LOVE HAS COME ALONG
IT'S TOO LATE TO APOLOGIZE
FIGHT FOR YOU
I'LL STAND BY YOU
EPILOGUE
SNEEK PEAK

THE FIRST TIME EVER IS SAW YOUR FACE

3.4K 244 72
De knightwaters

"Isla!" I cry out, rushing toward her as Shay steps back, cupping his jaw. Drawing nearer, I notice Isla readjusting her dress, the zipper partially undone.

Her eyes are wild, and she struggles for breath. "I said no," she grits at Shay.

"Please, Trouble," Shay pleads. "You can't—"

"Shay," Griffin intervenes, stepping beside his Beta and placing a calming hand on his arm. "I think you should give Isla some space. Go outside and calm your Wolf."

Shay shakes his head, anger and hurt burning in his eyes. "You're making a mistake," he tells Isla before storming past us and out of the room.

"Angelo," Bass begins, his voice filled with compassion for Isla, but I whirl around to face him.

"Out," I command, pointing to the other men. "All of you, out."

Alexei, swallowing deeply, thankfully doesn't argue, concern showing on his face. "We will leave you ladies to it," he advises, then adds as he turns to leave. "Erin, it's nearly time."

I nod, checking my watch and seeing that the speeches are due to commence in 15 minutes. "I'll be there." Watching the men exit, I see Griffin tug on Ava's arm and pull her towards the doube doors.

"Come, Doe, Isla needs space."

"But—"

"Leave her be," Griffin interrupts, and I know he's communicating through their bond. Ava reluctantly agrees with her mate, leaving shortly after.

With the room now clear, it's just the two of us. I turn back to Isla, her gaze unfocused and her body swaying. "Are you okay?" I ask, concern blooming in my chest.

Isla shudders and blinks several times, attempting to regain her composure. "I, I..." She stutters but struggles to complete her sentence.

"Did he hurt you?" I ask, ready to confront Shay and defend Isla.

"No," Isla shouts, then shakes herself, her voice lowering. "No, Shay. It's complicated."

"And I assume that means you don't want to talk about it?" Isla nods. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I just need space," Isla replies, her breathing still heavy.

"Well, we're about to celebrate the Yule, which means speeches. Did you want to go back to our room?"

"I want to watch," Isla whispers, humming something under her breath, and bends down to grab her backpack, which was leaning against the wall behind her the entire time.

Thinking of the hall, I know the perfect place for her to watch where no one will bother her. It was the place I used to hide in when I wanted to avoid the community but still watch the women in their fancy dresses twirl to the music.

Hidden behind a thick burgundy drape is a tiny alcove. On one of my first visits to the Manor, Alexei showed it to me, his attempt to make me feel safe. Moving deeper into the West Wing and walking along the hall to the opposite side of the grand staircase, I lead her to where the drapes are hanging and pull the fabric back.

"Will this do?" I ask, and Isla nods as she takes in the small space. "Jump in. I'll be right back." Leaving Isla to make herself comfortable, I dash to the East Wing and open one of the parlors, which thankfully is empty. Walking toward one of the cabinets, I reveal a secret door containing several bottles of liquor I've stashed here over the years. Locating an unopened bottle of vodka, I take it along with a glass and head back to Isla.

Pulling the curtain back, I hand her the bottle and smile. "I'm needed for the speeches. You stay here and have a party for one; I'll be back when everything is finished." Isla smiles and twists open the lid of the bottle. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

Isla pours herself a small glass, bites her bottom lip, and nods, still humming her tune. The sound is familiar, but I can't pinpoint what it is. I offer Isla a smile of my own then allow my focus to return to the ballroom, where I can see Alexei waiting on the platform in the middle of the grand staircase. His attention is unsurprisingly on us. I nod in acknowledgment and stand, preparing to leave her, but my heart clenches when I see Isla struggling to focus. "Go," she whispers, "I'll be..." she pauses, "...fine," another pause, "...sister."

*********************************************************

"Did he hurt her?" Alexei asks when I join him on the platform, his face stoic. I'm momentarily stunned. Instead of scolding me for causing the speeches to be delayed by five minutes due to relocating Isla, his focus is on her safety. Then, I remind myself. Alexei has always been keenly aware of the women under his protection and is quick to act if a member of his community behaves in a way that is not acceptable.

I glance up at where I know Isla is hiding and gently shrug my shoulders. "She says no, but something doesn't feel right."

"Is it usual for her brother not to comfort her?" Alexei questions, raising a glass tumbler of whiskey to his mouth.

I think back to some of my memories at the facility. Besides Viktor, Isla wasn't one to seek comfort when we all knew she needed it. Don't get me wrong, Isla would climb into my bed at night, allow me to brush her hair and groom her. But emotional comfort? Never. That was Viktor's place.

I shudder at the memory of Isla and our father's relationship, and I bite my lip, recalling the times she would return from their activities and not talk for weeks. "Isla's unique and prefers to self-soothe," I explain to Alexei, who hums in understanding and nods his acceptance.

Placing his empty glass on a tray held by a server waiting patiently off to the side, Alexei reaches out with a gloved hand and takes my bare one in his. "Are you ready, мой маленький спитфайр?" he asks.

No! "Yes," I exhale, trying to compose myself as I glance around the room. I spot Griffin and Ava off to the side, standing close to Gerald and Stephan. Ava raises a crystal glass of what I know will be soda water in support. I smile back at her and then turn my attention to Alexei, noticing the tension in his jaw.

"You?" I ask, causing Alexei to inhale sharply and pull me closer, so my body is directly beside his. His body heat and energy cause the fine hairs on my arms to stand on end.

"I have been ready for 18 years, Princess," Alexei's voice rumbles with dark emotion, sending my heart into a wild frenzy. He shifts me slightly in front of him, his pelvis resting against my hip, drawing our bodies even closer. I roll my eyes when I feel his readiness pressing against me.

Clearing his throat with a subtle sound that commands the attention of the entire community, Alexei waits for five seconds before speaking. "Welcome, my friends, my family, my community, to our annual Yule celebration."

As he continues with his eloquent speech, I find my attention drifting away, the crowd captivated by every word that flows effortlessly from his lips. Instead, I focus on the other elementals, wincing as I notice Alexei's uncle and Riam standing a few feet apart—astonished that they're able to be in such proximity without sparking a confrontation. It's well-known that neither man can stand the other, even on the most peaceful of days.

I also sneak a few quick peeks at Isla, who seems almost unnoticeable amidst the festivities.

"And that brings me to the most important part of this evening's announcements," Alexei drawls, gently tugging on my hand to bring my attention back to him as he retrieves a black velvet box from his pocket. The ring! Shit!

With blue eyes glowing under dark, heavy lashes, Alexei wets his lips. "Erin, the first time I saw your face, I was speechless. Struck by an unknown force that drew me to you." I hear several people murmur their appreciation at his surprisingly sincere words.

My nails dig into my palm behind my back and I offer him a small smile. "And now, when I look upon you," he continues, and I see that innocence in him again, reminiscent of our first encounter. "You have reignited that spark. A shining beacon to light a dark heart."

Alexei turns his attention back to the crowd. "So it's time, my friends, that you are aware that this stunning beauty beside me has finally agreed to be my bonded, to carry on the Mikhailov line and be mine." Tilting his face so his blue eyes burn into mine, Alexei releases my hand and tugs off his glove, placing it in his jacket pocket.

The crowd gasps as he lifts the box and draws back the lid, revealing a blood-red diamond surrounded by 20 clear diamonds styled in a French Pave Single Halo. Not the ring I was expecting. But OMG, this one is so much better.

Alexei and I hadn't discussed my engagement ring. I'd assumed he would pass his mother's ring on to me. But instead of blue, red blazes before me.

"Do you approve?" Alexei murmurs, inclining his head ever so slightly before removing the ring from its satin pillow with his bare hand and raising his gloved hand to my left one. Lifting my hand for everyone to see, Alexei gently glides the cool band onto my engagement finger. The community remains silent as they watch the ring fall into position.

Eyes sparkling again with heat, Alexei grins and wraps his bare hand around mine, causing my body to jolt, and raises it for everyone to see. The community breaks their silence and erupts into cheers as we stand before them. Their king and his broodmare. His princess, never his queen, never his equal.

Smiling down at me, Alexei releases my hand. My skin immediately sighs in relief from the lack of contact. He turns, lifting my chin with his gloved hand and pulling me in for a gentle kiss. Again, the crowd goes wild. They all know that the touch of an elemental can be fatal, and it is a rare sight to witness flesh-on-flesh contact.

Releasing my lips from his, Alexei blinks slowly. "You did well, Princess." Leaning back, he retrieves his glove and slips it back onto his hand before taking mine in his, escorting me down the stairs and into the mass of people all waiting to congratulate their leader.

*********************************************

"Kill me. Kill me now! I swear if I have to keep smiling and nodding, I am going to punch someone!" I seethe internally, barely able to maintain the facade of pleasantries.

Alexei squeezes my hand, jolting me from my murderous thoughts. "I am so happy for you both," yet another of Alexei's followers beams at him, completely ignoring me.

"Yes, Erin has made me a very happy man. We thank you for your sentiments," I bite the inside of my cheek when I note Alexei's tone. Even though subtle, I can tell that he is also running out of patience with the number of people trying to suck up to him.

I watch the couple in front of us gush at Alexei's words and breathe a sigh of relief when I see Ava and Griffin standing off to the side, waiting patiently for our attention. When Alexei politely gestures for the couple to move on, I tug his hand and lead us towards my BFF and brother.

"Lemme look," Ava, obviously not caring for community propriety, takes my hand from Alexei and coos at my blood diamond. "Oh, aren't you stunning? Someone has amazing taste," Ava grins towards Alexei, who surprisingly smiles back at her. "You certainly know our girl."

"That I do. Thank you, Ava."

Ava releases my hand and nudges Griffin not too gently. "My Wolf, what do you have to say to the happy couple?"

I bite harder on the inside of my cheek when I see the red flash behind Griffin's eyes and hear an unhappy rumbling coming from his chest. I use the pain to stop myself from laughing at Griffin's inability to fake civility.

"Griffin," Ava chides, "it's the nice thing to do to congratulate our friend and her future husband."

Griffin grumbles something under his breath then reaches out a hand towards Alexei. Alexei smirks at my brother and raises his in acceptance. This time I do laugh when I see Alexei wince at the vice-like hold Griffin has on his hand. "You have quite the grip," Alexei grits.

"Just making sure you understand that Erin is important to us," Griffin replies, his voice carrying an obvious threat.

Not appreciating the comment, Alexei applies his own powerful force, and this time my brother flinches. "I will accept your lack of decorum, only because I also see Erin as important. But do not..." Alexei's comment is cut short when Damir and Bass join our little circle.

I notice the silent communication between Alexei and Damir and go to ask what is happening when Bass speaks up, "our piccolo Angelo seems to have gone MIA."

Isla!

Alexei releases Griffin's hand and turns to Damir. "When?"

"She was last seen by one of the staff exiting the library on the lower level," Damir replies.

"Maybe Isla just needed some air," I offer, knowing that Isla is a capable individual who can take care of herself. However, I don't miss Griffin's scowl from the corner of my eye.

Turning towards my brother, I notice his irises are unfocused. After a few seconds, his gaze clears, and Griffin curses, his eyes locking onto mine. "What was Isla doing when you left her?"

"Um, I took her to my hiding spot," I tell them, gesturing towards the curtains on the upper level where I left her. "Isla wanted to watch the speeches."

"Was she alone?" Griffin presses, and I swear I see something close to panic in his features.

"Yes," I reply, shaking my head in confusion, "well, other than a bottle of vodka, she was alone."

"Damn it!" Griffin growls, red flashing in his eyes. "You gave her alcohol?"

"Yes," I snap back, "what of it?"

Griffin shakes his head, and his eyes become unfocused again. I assume he's communicating with Shay. When they clear, I see his face lose its tanned color. "Did she say anything when you were with her?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary. She was a little out of breath," I reply, thinking over our conversation and unable to recall anything that would cause concern. I shake my head, then remember the familiar tune she was mumbling. "I'm not sure if this helps, but she was humming a tune of some sort."

Griffin's already drawn features pale even further, almost ghostly. "Was it 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'?"

I quickly hum the tune and blink several times. Aisling's lullaby! No wonder it was familiar. However, that wasn't what she was humming. I shake my head, and Griffin almost sags in relief, his eyes glazing over again.

"What's going on?" Bass asks, curiosity and frustration evident in his voice.

"My mate is communicating with his Beta," Ava replies, concern etched on her face.

"The swine that tried to force himself on mio angelo?"

"For starters, Isla's not your angel, and secondly, Shay's not a swine. He and Isla are close," I retort. I'm surprised that Alexei and Damir haven't added anything, but I know them both well enough to understand that they're running through every possibility of where she may be.

"I assume you checked our rooms?" I ask Damir, who nods his response.

Feeling a large hand on my arm, I know it's Griffin. Turning to my brother, I hold my breath and wait. "Shay wants to know if she was humming 'Yellow Brick Road'?"

"Yellow Brick, what?" I question, puzzled. I don't recall that song from the Wizard of Oz. "Oh, you mean, 'Follow the yellow brick road.' If so, then no."

"No, Erin," Griffin rumbles, and I sense his struggle with his Wolf now.

"Oh, you mean the Elton John version?" Ava asks, and Griffin nods. She hums what must be the verse.

"That's the one. It was a little different though, but, yeah, that was it," I confirm, and Griffin closes his eyes. When he opens them again, they are entirely red.

"Shit," Ava responds, turning to her mate. She closes her eyes and nods. "Shay wants to know where Isla would go that makes her feel safe?"

"Safe? Where would? Shit, Isla, where would you go to feel safe?" The question rolls around in my head, and then I look at Damir. "Did the staff member say which direction she went?"

"They said Isla went right."

Right. Kitchen? No... The pool? No... The conservatory? Shit. "The Belle garden."

"Did she dance there?" Ava asks, still communicating with Griffin and, I guess, Shay through their mate bond.

I nod, and Griffin's Wolf rumbles. "Take me."

"Okay," I nod and turn in the direction of the conservatory.

Griffin growls, drawing the attention of several community members standing closely behind us.

I watch his red eyes clear. "Come, Shay's on his way."

I see Damir, Bass, and Alexei frown, but I ignore them. "Do we need to wait for him?"

"No," Griffin's Wolf rumbles, "too far away. He will follow."

"How?" I ask, knowing that the way to the Belle garden is tricky if you don't know the shortcut.

Griffin looks at me, and I swear he is looking directly into my soul. "He always finds her."

Shit, what the hell does that mean?

********************************************

Hello Readers - another update... 

The next chapter is going to be massive - so hold tight and be ready for the ride...

X0X0X0

KnightWaters

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

3.7K 145 20
23 year old carefree Amani just moved into her new home at the edge of the woods, unaware that she was only mere feet away from Werewolf territory. T...
10.3K 98 22
This story contains mature theme. You may not proceed if you have any issues with that. [18+]~ _________________________________________ "Aaaaah-mph...
866K 25.5K 100
[ BEING REWRITTEN ] 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ----- 𝐃𝐘𝐋𝐀𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐒 I messed up - I messed up in typical Dylan fashion because...
51.7K 2.1K 28
(Previously titled Sole Soul) After finding a grime covered, scar riddled, and clearly tormented man hiding in her garage, Rebecca-a shifter scorned...