THE CONTRACT (The Chosen Seri...

By knightwaters

{MATURE +18} I am strong, I am resilient, I am fire... ***************************************************... More

AUTHORS NOTE & CHARACTER GUIDE
LUNCH DATE
WE ARE FAMILY
BURN BABY BURN
EVEN DOVES CRY
COCK BLOCK
WHERE ARE YOU NOW
FIDO
MO THINE
BITCH PLEASE
JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE
HOW TO BREAK A BOND
BUSTED
CHECKMATE
COINS
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
YOU'RE A WIZARD
PAIN AT FIRST SIGHT
WANNA PLAY
DO MONSTER'S CRY
I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT
DONT HATE ME TOMORROW
LAST CHRISTMAS I GAVE YOU MY HEART
ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS KICK IN THE BALLS
TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE
BLACK HOLE
CRUZE THE NIGHT AWAY
BORN TO RUN
DANCING ON MY OWN
HOT SHOWER
STRONGER
HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
WHO'S THAT GIRL
YOUR SECRETS AND LIES
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
SAVAGE GARDEN
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
BESTIES
THE FIRST TIME EVER IS SAW YOUR FACE
YELLOW BRICK ROAD
IF YOU JUST SMILE
I JUST CALLED TO SAY...
PRETTY WOMAN
YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL
HOME SWEET HOME
MY HEART IS YOURS
HERE'S A STORY - OF A MAN NAMED BRADY
AT LAST, MY LOVE HAS COME ALONG
IT'S TOO LATE TO APOLOGIZE
FIGHT FOR YOU
I'LL STAND BY YOU
EPILOGUE
SNEEK PEAK

I NEED A HERO

3.7K 257 74
By knightwaters

"Shay," Isla mutters, but her voice is drowned out when the unmistakable sounds of an electric keyboard and guitars blast from somewhere, followed closely by drums.

"What in the world," Gerald starts, his attention fixed on the two as Bunny practically drags Isla towards the empty dance floor.

"Make way," Shay's voice booms over the surrounding crowd. The community redirects their attention towards them, captivated by what they think may be some form of halftime entertainment. "Make way for pure awesomeness. Be prepared, people, to see the magic happen. 80's style!" The intro to the song appears to be on repeat until they reach the center.

"Typical," Griffin shudders, pushing himself up from his chair and standing. "I need to use the bathroom, Doe. Will you be alright with Erin for a moment?"

"Wait. Don't you want to watch them?" Ava asks, her excitement evident as she begins to clap along to the music.

**** Author Note - If you want the full 80's impact - listen to the song as you read

"Not if I want to avoid being pulled up there with them," Griffin replies, grimacing as the 80's electronic intro repeats itself, the tune inducing a feeling like you want to jog in place. Flashdance style!

"Sure, but what's happening? And why would you be dragged up there?" Ava asks, her focus on Shay as he starts unbuttoning his suit jacket, swaying his hips to the music.

"To dance, Doe."

"You can dance?" Ava questions, her eyes widening with surprise and perhaps a hint of lust.

Griffin winks and grins at his mate, leaning down to whisper in her ear, "How do you think I learned that move you like so much?"

Ava blushes beet red and pulls him in for a kiss. "Be quick, and you are so going to show me EVERYTHING later," she tells him, emphasizing the "everything" part.

"It seems your blonde hunk of a friend is about to put on a little performance to Bonnie Tyler," Stephan remarks, his body facing the dancefloor. We watch Bunny move around the floor, his hands raised over his head in a clapping gesture to encourage crowd participation.

"I think I know this song. My mom used to play it," Ava adds, standing and moving to the edge of the dance floor. "I love it. I think it's called 'Hero' or something."

We all watch as Shay continues to move on the outskirts of the dance floor, his shirt sleeves rolled up and his muscles on full display. I can hear someone in the crowd whistle, the sound causing Shay to blow them a kiss as he begins to move back towards a still Isla.

The music now shifts, the first verse of the song beginning, and Shay puts on the 80's interpretive dance of a lifetime. He's hilarious as his lip-syncs to the song crying out for a Hero, serenading my sister, who remains frozen.

I can't help but notice that he directs his actions towards the elemental leaders when he's not twirling, twerking, or flexing at Isla. His focus is primarily on Alexei, who's now paused his talking and is watching the show, his face blank; however, I can see his lips quirk in interest.

"I never knew he could move like that," Ava gapes as Shay spins and drops into the splits, dragging himself on the ground in front of Isla. I chuckle when I look at her feet which are now bare.

"He's outstanding," Gerald agrees, his body tapping to the music.

After the first verse and chorus of Shay dancing around Isla, the entire community is now watching. Their conversations have ceased as they watch, enraptured by the show, and shout their encouragement.

When the second chorus begins, Shay, rather than dancing on his own, pulls Isla into his arms, her body moving like an extension of his as he plays to the audience, throwing her up in the air to one part of the song that calls for a superman to lift her off her feet. Only to spin her overhead before Isla drops and lands next to him.

Several of the audience gasp then cheers as he turns her, their interpretive dance spectacular causing many of them to laugh and begin dancing along with them.

However, it's not until the bridge starts that the real show begins. Isla breaks off, spinning, leaping, and twirling to the music. Her body moves as if she is walking on air, executing moves that most people can only dream of. I silently thank Alexei for purchasing a dress for her that flares out like a ballerina tutu.

"She's magnificent," I hear someone in the crowd say, while others shout and yell their appreciation. Everyone is now watching Isla; even all the elementals shift their attention to the dancefloor, focusing solely on her.

When the music reaches its peak, Isla turns and runs back to Shay, leaping off the ground to a height that would be impossible for most shifters. Gracefully landing in Shay's outstretched arms, which are held high above his head, before he drops them, her body plummeting to the floor.

The audience reacts with fear, but then quickly changes to shouts of applause when they see Shay catch her again at the last moment, her body spinning before wrapping itself around his frame once more.

"This is better than watching sex. Is he her mate?" Stephan asks, "Dom's going to be pissed," he adds. "I've never seen a couple move as well as those two."

The party is in full swing, with the majority of attendees moving to join them on the floor, dancing, and drinking. The energy is electric.

"I can't believe this world has been around me all my life, and I had no idea," Ava comments. I smirk at my BFF, her eyes wide as she takes in the different shifter factions, base elementals, and other magical entities, all moving to the music.

We've been surrounded by them for over two hours, and still, she's gobsmacked. Bless her cotton socks.

Nudging her, I grin, watching a witch getting cozy with a feline shifter. "Well, you didn't miss out on much." Smirking at Shay as he comically bows to his fans when the song ends, the music changing to another popular dance tune. Several community members try to engage them, but I notice Shay shake his head and start leading Isla through the crowd, whispering something in her ear. She nods, though a slight frown appears on her face.

"OMG, you guys were fantastic," I tell them when they arrive, Isla reaching out for a glass of water, my voice elevated to be heard over the noise around us.

"Next time, it'll be you and me, Tiger." Shay teases with a wink, lifting a random glass of unfinished scotch to his lips.

"I could never dance like that. Well, not unless there's a bed or a wall involved," I joke, imagining myself attempting their graceful moves. It's a skill I'd love to have, even just a fraction of their talent, especially while fully clothed.

"Meh, stick with us long enough, and it becomes almost mandatory," Shay assures with a casual shrug.

Curious, I turn to face him. "How did you learn to dance like that?" I ask, watching as he waves over a returning Griffin, who exchanges a few words with him before joining us.

"I'd like to know that as well," Stephan adds, settling into his seat and casting an admiring glance at Shay.

He winces as he turns his gaze to me. "Gamma. The old bat had a thing for '80s songs, Elton John, and don't get me started on her taste in movies. I still shudder when I think of The Wizard of Oz. That and Yellow Brick Road."

The mention of The Wizard of Oz triggers a fleeting sense of familiarity within me, but it quickly dissipates when I notice Isla scowling at Shay before returning her attention to her drink.

"He means our Grandmother," Griffin's voice cuts in as he returns to his seat, pulling Ava down into his lap. He shudders too, leaving me to wonder what part of Shay's comment triggered that reaction. Was it his Grandmother, or the mention of old classics?

"Well, your Gamma must have been a fabulous teacher," Stephan replies.

"She was."

"But Bunny, why'd you learn?" I question. I get Griffin and Isla living with their grandma, but Shay?

Shrugging his shoulders and leaning into Isla, he looks thoughtful. "It was just what we did. They became my family, and Gamma taught us how to dance."

Observing Isla, who now sits quietly beside Shay, a stark contrast to the dancing queen I just witnessed, I notice her habit of biting her lip. "You alright?"

"Why wouldn't she be, with me around, everything's amazing," Shay beams, his eyes shifting back to Isla, their silent communication evident. "I think I'm going to take Trouble somewhere a little quieter."

Griffin must have also noticed the slight unease in her features. "Sister, I think that would be wise," he adds, sympathy evident in his expression. "Now that the dancing has finished, I think you need a little space away from the onlookers."

I understand his point. Gradually approaching our table are numerous curious individuals, their attention directed towards Shay and Isla.

Isla tilts her head slightly, her complexion turning a shade paler. "Thank you, brother," she offers with a faint smile, "I'll be back." Rising from her chair, she takes hold of Shay's outstretched arm and allows him to lead her from the main ballroom and up the stairs towards the West Wing.

"I'm still blown away by their talent," Ava comments, taking a small sip of her sparkling water

As the others discuss Isla's dancing, I notice Dominic maneuvering through the dance floor, several female shifters trailing behind him as he heads in our direction. Shaking my head, I catch sight of a pair of frosted blue eyes from across the room. Riam stands alone. Watching. I bite the inside of my cheek as he raises a drink in my direction, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

Breaking eye contact, I turn my body away and notice Griffin is looking in the same direction, his attention also on Riam. Taking another small drink of my champagne and tapping my fingers in anticipation, I watch for the red to appear behind his eyes but am surprised that his wolf doesn't react. So far this evening, before the dancing extravaganza, our table exchanged polite greetings with two of the new bloods, Griffin's beast appearing both times when they spent a little too much time looking at Ava. What can I say? Elementals have a thing for pregnancy.

But with Riam, I sense nothing from my brother. Swallowing back my drink, I go to ask him what his wolf senses when Ava tugs on my arm. "Come dance with me." I look back at my friend, her strappy heels tapping to the music.

I sigh and place my now-empty drink on a waiter's tray. "Sure, but just one or two songs. Griffin, you coming?"

My brother shakes his head. "You two go. I'll wait over there," Griffin replies, pointing towards the staircase leading to the West Wing. "That way, I can watch you both and keep an eye out for Isla and Shay."

*******************************************************

Several songs in, Ava tells me she is going to rest her feet and encourages me to keep dancing. I kiss her quickly and continue to move, letting the music and the alcohol flow through my senses.

Lost in the sound, I jolt when I feel a strong, warm hand wrap around mine and tug my body into a spin. Blinking up, I take in Dom's cheshire grin, his white teeth shining against his tanned skin. I allow his body to guide mine, swaying to the music. "Where's Isla?" Dom asks, twirling me again before pulling me close.

"She's around here somewhere," I reply, catching Ava's curious glance out of the corner of my eye as she stands next to Griffin.

"Why's she playing hard to get?" Dom's question sounds more like a demand.

"It's not like that, Dom. Isla's just different, she..."

"Erin, it's nearly time," Alexei's voice interrupts from behind me, his gloved hand reaching around to take mine and pull me away from Dom.

"Alexei," Dom greets, his tone curt and a little too arrogant for his own good.

"Dominic, I'll take Erin from here. I assume there are many willing partners for you to entertain," Alexei replies, his response dry and clipped. There's certainly no love lost between these two men. Alexei demands respect, and Dom isn't one to give it easily.

"There are, but I'm only interested in one," Dom replies, his gaze fixed on Alexei. "Erin, tell Isla I'm looking for her when you see her."

I swear I feel the energy crackle around me, as both men square off against each other. "Alexei, we are needed elsewhere," Damir interjects, his sudden appearance almost as startling as Alexei's.

With his jaw-ticking, Alexei breaks the stare and glances at his second, who nods towards where Griffin and Ava are standing. Still holding my hand firmly, Alexei leads me away from a smug-looking Dominic and draws me through the crowd towards Griffin. I groan when I notice Bass heading in the same direction.

"What's going on?" I ask Alexei as we stop in front of Griffin, Damir speaking something to my brother that I can't hear.

Griffin nods, but his face remains blank. "We've lost visual on Riam," Damir replies.

"And?"

"He seems to have overheard a conversation I was having about mio piccolo angelo," Bass replies, and I swear I see regret.

"So?" Riam's a creep, but I've no idea why he would care, unless... No, they wouldn't have figured it out.

"Bass was discussing Isla's intelligence, and then after her performance," Damir explains. When both Ava and I look at him, puzzled, he adds, "Riam's known for collecting unique items. And not always with their consent." His words send a shiver down my spine. I've heard stories of people in our community disappearing, often rumored to involve Riam or Adrik. But it's the whispered tales of Riam's preference for targeting the young and innocent that truly unsettles me.

"I believe it's best if we confirm her location and ensure the safety of the маленькая мышь," Damir concludes, his concern mirrored by Griffin's nod of agreement.

"What does 'малень...' what ever you said mean?" Ava asks, her lack of fluency in Russian evident.

"'Little mouse'," I clarify before glancing up the stairs. "Isla's with Shay, so if they've gone up there, she's likely in the library."

"Shay will keep her safe," Griffin reassures the group. "If they were in trouble, I'd sensed it." I nearly forgot about his ability to communicate with Shay through their Alpha bond."Let's check to be safe," Alexei instructs, turning to head up the stairs. "It wouldn't be the first time a pack was unaware of what was happening with a member of their group."

Griffin flinches at Alexei's cutting comments. Anger flashes behind his eyes as he clenches his fist, his nostrils flaring. Despite the sting, Alexei isn't entirely wrong—considering the death of Griffin's father and how the entire pack slept through it.

Without waiting for Griffin to respond, Alexei, Damir, and Bass turn and ascend the stairs. Griffin, Ava, and I trail closely behind.

As we enter the WestWing, it doesn't take us long to reach the library entrance. Upon steppinginside, we spot Shay leaning over Isla, his head lowered, and his lips on hers.What the hell? Unaware of our presence, Shay's head jerks back as a loud smackresonates through the room. Damn, Isla just decked him...

***************************************

Evening Readers!!!

I have been wanting to post this chapter the moment I wrote it - I have never had so much fun writing as I did with this chapter.

Please keep the comments and theories coming...

X0X0X0X0X0

KnightWaters

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 262 14
"Oh Vixen, I'm not going to kill you, No. That would be too easy, I'm going to rip you apart...I'll break your spirit and see you crumple at my feet...
51.5K 855 61
Two broken souls in the midst of a crazy world. Two souls running away from their past. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel was c...
2.9M 27.3K 13
⚠️MATURE READERS ONLY⚠️ DARK ROMANCE ⚠️ "What shall I do now that I have seized my prey?" He questions me, voice sonorous and husky whilst he inhales...
201K 5.4K 57
Book 4 in the Redemption Series. FINISHED! Will edit once I'm done procrastinating. **** "You will always be my possession, but you're not an object...