Curled Horns

By Susimau

Mingi's horns were considered ugly among demons. When he meets crown prince Yunho, the man with the most beau... More

1. Curled Horns
2. Lyrate Horns
3. Moving In
4. First Day
5. The Royal Palace
6. Dark News
7. Noble Visitor
8. Morning Call
10. Childhood Friends
11. Jewellery
12. Another Incident
13. Alliance
14. Stable Work
15. Bathing
16. Dining
17. Bedroom Secrets
18. Game of Evasion
19. Mixed Signals
20. Snow
21. The Fortune Teller
22. A Question
23. A Gift
24. Boundaries
25. Ripped
26. Recommendation
27. The Trap
28. Ambush
29. Foreshadowing
30. The Pixie
31. Safe Haven
32. Showing Affection
33. A Sharp Tongue
34. Stolen
35. Sawing
36. The Ignizoth
37. Ripped Wings
38. Dispute
39. An Apology
40. Victory
41. Off for Peace

9. Beyond The Fields

842 84 74
By Susimau

Me? Double updating because I got my exams done and am happy about it? More likely than you think!

********

Mingi had never left the area of the town and his carrot farm before. Even going up to the castle on the volcano had been a first for him. Now that Yunho steered Ave right towards the dark forest beyond the fields, however, Mingi brimmed with excitement and wonder. He had always wanted to explore those woods but never quite dared to alone. Seonghwa feared them. When he had been a young kid still, he had ventured between the tall black foliage trees once. Whenever he told Mingi of the eerie creature with antlers bigger than Seonghwa himself he claimed to have discovered, he shuddered.

After seeing Ave, Mingi was less convinced that Seonghwa's young mind had just blown the creature out of proportion.

Back here were no estates. The lava river that carried through the forest left a fiery trail in the short grass. Mingi saw a herd of sheep grazing nearby. Their horns were similar to his.

"Where will you take us today, Yunho?" San asked. His hips moved fluidly with every step of his horse, adjusting to angles in a way that Mingi hadn't mastered in years.

Yunho gave him a secretive smile and peered at Mingi, too, as if he were still part of their conversation.

"A magical spot. You'll love it," the prince replied mysteriously. Intrigued, San leaned closer into his personal bubble. If he was conscious of Mingi's gaze, he didn't show it.

"Your favourite spot?"

The corners of Yunho's lips twitched.

"One of them, yes."

Triumphant over knowing more about Yunho's favourite spot than San did, Mingi smiled to himself. He wanted to have a conversation, too, and to discuss the new impressions their beautiful lands gave him. But the demon beside him was silent as a grave. Mingi didn't want to try penetrating her mask of indifference. He didn't want to bother the two princes with his own talking either. Instead, he just slumped on his saddle and looked around full of admiration. If he remembered everything well, he could still tell Seonghwa about it once they met again in a few days.

At the memory, Mingi thumbed at his sharpening horns. Still some time.

Yunho likely had someone who trimmed his horns for him, too. Working at that angle above his head had to be impractical, and it was easier to get the angles right if one wasn't on the receiving end.

As Mingi pondered how Yunho would look if his horns grew out, the two princes at the front continued with their merry chat. Ave's hooves left a trail of lava behind them as if it dripped from her fur at every step.

They entered the woods on a narrow path that didn't allow them to ride next to each other. One knight took the lead in case a wild creature came at them. San followed up, ever so heroic. Yunho followed and right behind was Mingi. Happy to be near Yunho's relaxed form on the mighty back of Ave, Mingi quietly idolised him.

"These woods are older than our kingdom. The trees rarely die but scions sprout all the time. It spread out far in the time I grew up. If we didn't tame it, it would probably take over all of our lands."

Yunho said it towards the side as if he wanted to include both ends of their group in his tale. A sweet gesture. Mingi nodded along interestedly.

Up at the front, San hummed.

"They are impressive. Do pixies nest here? The hunting sport largely ruined our forests since they are full of them."

Black like ink, the trees passed them. Their mighty crowns created a roof filtered by the orange light of day. Each leaf was framed with a fiery red lining that made them look as if set ablaze and let the red veins inside the leaves shine through. Some jagged branches hung into the procession's path and one by one, the men ahead brushed them aside with their horns without needing to raise their hands.

Mingi was already calculating the moment he would need to raise his hand and once more emphasise the difference in status he had to them. Just before he could detach his fingers from the reigns, however, Yunho reached up. His large hand curled around the branch carefully, cradling it in a way the rough brushes of pointed horns hadn't done it before. Yunho raised it, leaning back on Ave's back to lift it high above.

Mingi moved to receive it from him. Warm gratitude filled his chest.

Thanks to Yunho, Mingi was able to pick the branch from the air comfortably and hand it over to San's servant.

Yunho did that with every twig from then on.

"We have no pixies out here, not as far as we know. Near to the volcano, it's usually too hot for them so they avoid coming here. It would also mean having to cross the other lands to enter and since your hunting is so successful, they rarely get here."

Caught in his daydreams about Yunho with a longbow on Ave's back as they hunted the vicious magical spirits through the forest, Mingi lost some focus. San and Yunho continued their discussion about the different environmental circumstances of their home countries. Further in the back, Jongho and one of the other guards whispered with each other, too.

After half an hour of just cruising the forest and marvelling at the little white flowers that littered the mossy forest grounds like sparkles, they reached a clearing. When San led them out between the thick trees, he whistled appreciatively. Curious, Mingi peeked around Yunho to inspect the location.

It was a lava lake in the forest. Not too big so one could still comfortably round it within half an hour, but also not too vast. The surface was smooth and inviting, steaming between the trees and feeding the nearby nature with precious heat. Some lava rivulets trickled down black stones, creating a picturesque contrast.

Yunho elegantly led his horse to the left to create space for the rest of the group to join. With a glance at San, who had lined up next to him, Mingi held himself slightly to the back.

He liked the place. So far, Yunho had only shown him such splendid spots that were classy with their simplicity. Yunho found beauty within his surroundings in a way that Mingi wouldn't suspect of a busy and wealthy man like him. With awe, he watched Yunho's serene expression as he swiped his eyes over the view.

"We don't have to bathe if you are not at ease with that. But I figured it would be a pleasant spot to lounge." Yunho swung down from Ave. The guards spread out in the surrounding woods, creating a safety barrier without getting seen again. They were required not to bother the princes' rendezvous and merely stuck around nearby to look out for lurking threats.

"You are a mooncalf to believe I wouldn't enjoy a bath with you, Yunho," San snickered as Yunho appeared by his side. He took the hand Yunho offered him for stability as he slithered from his horse. For a moment, he stood pressed against the other prince with a hand on his chest. Their height difference had Yunho looking down at him. A moment later, San moved back with a coy bat of his eyelashes. Yunho separated their hands with a playful smile.

They made a stunning couple.

Mingi was surprised at the stab of envy in his heart. He also wanted Yunho's chivalry and to stand with him like that.

Indignant at his selfishness, Mingi jumped from his horse. He collected Ave's reigns while San's servant already drew off his horse. Together, they fastened the reigns to a sturdy branch of a nearby tree. Mingi kept himself from glancing curiously at the strolling pair. It was not his place. If the king knew a servant considered the crown prince with misplaced interest, he would likely have Mingi expelled from his job immediately.

Mingi still grumbled to himself when San's follower suddenly left his side. At her departure, Mingi glanced up.

San and Yunho had halted next to the lake to glance at them. The impatience that showed in San's raised brow didn't translate onto Yunho.

Mingi hurried to approach them. When Yunho expanded his arms Mingi recognised his mission and smoothly undid the laces at the man's top. While he worked on getting Yunho undressed, San never took his eyes off the fellow prince. Ravenous as if Yunho were prey he had to conquer, San scrutinised him.

"I like that piercing," San pointed out once the leather jacket was gone from Yunho's torso. Fumbling with it, Mingi fought the shyness of undoing the man's pants. As always, Yunho smoothly glossed over Mingi's failures and did it himself. Contrary to San, who stared even more interested at what was beneath, Mingi averted his eyes.

"Thank you, me too."

"Do you have more?" San stretched when his torso also got exposed. He was all built muscle and meticulously shaped lines. Very different from Mingi who was just skinny and had adapted some barely visible muscle for work. Mingi self-consciously jabbed at his soft stomach hidden behind Yunho's garment he held.

"I do, but I won't point them out specifically for you," Yunho responded. His slightly piqued tone had a smirk spread on San's lips and Mingi tried to sink into the ground.

"That's fine. You can show me when we aren't being accompanied." San stepped out of his pants and made a shooing motion at the two servants. They scurried off quickly even when Yunho looked upset at the nonchalant dismissal.

Yunho let San drag him into the lake. Demon skin was too thick to break even in such heat, and the fierce lava springs were considered a soothing experience on tense muscles.

Mingi and the demon woman lingered near the horses while they weren't needed. Mingi plucked some weeds for Ave to munch on, and his companion quietly polished San's clothes and the weapon he had carried. They were not out of earshot from the two princes, so they had to listen to San's attempts to entice Yunho, and Yunho's courteous but unheard rejections. The relationship between them was a pain to watch, even outside of envy.

Mingi tried not to listen to their exchange. But the way that San dropped an 'ahh, there are the other two' so casually while Yunho made a helpless noise that mixed embarrassment and surprise ticked him off.

The day passed in discomfort. Mingi wanted to probe around the forest and wanted to listen to Yunho's tales about these woods, but he was not allowed to leave. A while later, San failed again at trying to coerce Yunho into being intimate with him, and Yunho soon called it a day. For the first time since Mingi knew him, the man sounded strained.

The princes took a walk around the lake to dry off before they would get dressed again. San's tail kept trying to seek Yunho's, but Yunho feigned having to pick away some dirt under the tips. With a frown, Mingi watched his predicament.

Everybody but San was relieved when they got dressed again. The resolute eyes of the other prince gave away that he wouldn't surrender so fast. He would be here for several weeks for his visit, and he had no reason not to make use of that time.

Yunho swung himself back into his saddle with a sigh. As they made their way back through the darkening evening, he didn't miss out to hold the branches for the servants once more.

Once they were back in the castle and had brought the horses into their boxes, Yunho excused himself for the night. He feigned having another session with his father on politics for bed. San pouted, but he let Yunho go after San had kissed him on the cheek. Yunho had nearly run out on the stables. Mingi had to hasten to catch up.

Despite his visible fatigue, Yunho still smiled gently at their way to his room.

"Today was a lot, wasn't it? I apologise for not helping you out more with explanations, but San needs a lot of attention."

Mingi didn't know if it was his place to agree. He shouldn't have opinions on the royalty he had to be close to.

Yunho didn't need him to answer. He continued as they made their way inside of his room. Promptly inside, Yunho poured himself some wine.

"You will only need to help me in the morning tomorrow. I have an important conference with my parents and San scheduled that will last the entire day. That means you get the day off." Cheerful, Yunho rose his glass at Mingi. Then, he tilted his head playfully.

"Have you made up your mind about the piercing?"

Mingi peeked down at himself, surprised Yunho brought it up so suddenly. Did he dare? Would it fit him? He was by far not as attractively built as Yunho or San.

But he liked it. And more than just wearing it, he liked the idea of Yunho putting it on for him and matching it with him. That might be the closest they ever got.

At Mingi's reluctant nod, Yunho's smile broadened over his face.

"I would like to have one, yes," Mingi consented shyly.

Yunho sat his glass down and went to scrub his hooves belatedly. Leaned against the wall with his handsome smile, he agreed.

"I'm on your side, you would look lovely with one. Then drop by tomorrow evening. I will do it for you."

Excited, Mingi smiled back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 1.8K 16
yunho just a bullied guy at school, mingi, and his popular friends bullying the other.
53.1K 1.8K 24
[COMPLETED] Jeong Yunho has always hated Song Mingi for his fuckboy nature, and for a second reason. What will Yunho do when he realizes he may just...
100K 5.7K 37
"Once upon a time, a devil and a vampire fell in love with each other. The end." "Hold up, you're not even going to make me feel curious? No story or...
158K 7.7K 13
Mingi is known as hoodie boy. Yunho is a popular nice guy highest ranks: #1 in Yungi #1 in ateez #1 in Yunho #1 in seongsang