2. Lyrate Horns

All the way up the palace's extensive staircases, Mingi practised his ability to form greetings. None of those swirling around in his mind seemed appropriate for the crown prince, and once more Mingi nearly broke out in a sweat as he tried to figure out how he should survive this meeting without making himself look like a fool.

Crown prince Yunho was, naturally so with his status, a celebrity in their kingdom. He was the older of the two princes and had just recently reached the age that allowed him to rightfully claim the throne once his father stepped down from his position. His reputation preceded him. Throughout the lands, Yunho was accepted as the kindest, the justest, and the most attractive man among demonkind. Wherever he appeared, people hailed his manners and his appearance, how good of a fighter he was, and how well he listened to even the miseries of the lower class. Yunho was the man of many young people's dreams. The man with the most magnificent horns in the kingdom.

Mingi had seen him only once fleetingly in the distance when he had visited a farmer family nearby to thank them personally for their gracious donation of food for his army. He hadn't left Mingi's mind after, even when he had caught only a glimpse. For weeks he had tried to work extra hard to gift a quantity just as helpful, but alone and needing to sustain himself, he soon had to give it up. He had never experienced the prince's grace for himself.

If Yeosang picked up on Mingi's distress, he didn't let it show. He determinedly led Mingi through the castle that smelled of ashes and coal - just how the demons liked it.

While still distracted and entranced by the beauty of the castle, Mingi barely had enough time to acknowledge all of its splendid corners. The symmetrical planes and orderly interior went past him. He scarcely even noticed the mighty fountain of black volcanic stone that had a never-ending cycle of flowing thick lava spread in its basins. Usually, Mingi would have stayed to marvel at it and to ask about the heavy doors just behind it that most likely led to the throne room. But Yeosang allowed no break yet. With long steps, he led Mingi through the upper towers. The windows here showcased the tiny town on the bottom of the hill. Like a king, Mingi could glance down on it.

Yeosang knew every single door by heart, even when they still looked all the same to Mingi. When he reached the desired one, he positioned himself in front of it with his shoulders squared and the curved horns tipped back confidently. Then, he rapped his fingers on the door. Mingi scrambled to stand upright just next to him. His nervously swishing tail brushed against Yeosang's, making Mingi mutter an apology. The other servant didn't comment on it.

"Enter," a voice called from inside. Mingi's stomach swooped with tension over getting to talk to the man in person.

When Yeosang glanced at Mingi in question, he shook his head in panic. Chuckling, Yeosang twisted the golden doorknob to peek inside the room.

"Oh, hello, Yeosang," the same kind voice said, this time clearer. Mingi nearly bailed; his tail a tense rope around his leg. He forced himself to stay still, looking at his hooves. Were they clean enough? Was the shape weird? He didn't want to stain the prince's chambers with them.

"I brought your new servant. Want to meet him?"

The lack of formalities towards the prince baffled Mingi. Were they that close?

"With pleasure! Please, come in."

Before Mingi could marvel at the fact that a prince of royal blood used the word 'please' with an average servant, Yeosang already grasped his arm and pulled him forward. Mingi stumbled along behind the smaller man as they invaded the room.

Chambers bigger than Mingi's entire hut greeted them. Mingi's fleeting gaze passed a cacophony bed to his left that was veiled with long red curtains and could probably fit four people. It sat slightly apart from the rest of the round room in its own corner with an open wall.