10. Childhood Friends

Those who read after schedule, make sure you didn't miss chapter 9, I double-updated yesterday ^^

*******

In the morning rush before the royal assembly, Yunho and Mingi got to share breakfast quickly before they parted right after. While Yunho hurried off to attend to his duties, Mingi remained alone to creep back into his room. In there, he changed out of his uniform into the soft wide pants and the regular shirt he liked to wear hanging around his shoulders unbuttoned. It was old and stained with different spots that had settled there to stay until eternity, but it was well worn and comfortable.

As Mingi slid it down his body, he curiously looked at his stomach. He would like to wear similar clothing to what Yunho wore sometimes, those cropped shirts that showed off his twinkling piercing. Maybe Seonghwa could give him tips on how to reform his old clothes so he could proudly show the new decoration, too. At the reminder that he would visit Yunho because of it tonight, both nervousness and joyous giddiness bloomed in Mingi's chest.

Mingi left the palace on the steep path. He passed the fiery bridge and the stone guardians with respectful nods at them even though their eyes were closed. On foot, it would take him a while to reach the town, but Mingi entertained himself with his motivation for tonight. He was also elated to see Seonghwa again after a while. In his head, Mingi already tried to collect the information that his friend would ask him for.

The road through the town was peaceful. Mingi got to see many people like him, going after their daily work and sharing the tranquillity of their safe little spot so near to the palace. Vendors clamoured over the streets to sell their wares, kids tripped over their tails as they chased a little dog, and every so often, acquaintances met under canopies to linger for a chat.

Mingi recognised some of the market people nearby. He had done business with them before to sell his carrots. All kind faces that smiled at him now, too.

Seonghwa's tailor shop was part of the bustling main street. A large wooden sign that depicted a needle and a red threat identified his cosy store that perched between two other buildings. When Mingi strode in, a wind chime tingled. Among the mountains of fabrics and mannequins that Seonghwa kept around here, Mingi tended to lose his way. Whenever he came back, the entire layout had changed, and sometimes it was impossible to tell whether the piece of furniture that held immense bulks of clothing was a table or a chair.

"Just a moment," Seonghwa called from the back. Mingi brushed his knuckles over a velvety coat that he was sure would look ravishing on Yunho.

"No need to hurry!" Mingi replied easily. A little gasp answered when Seonghwa recognised his deep voice. A moment later, he emerged from an extra storage area. As soon as he spotted Mingi, Seonghwa rose his hand to shield his eyes.

"Ah, what is this shining, noble aura? I am blinded!"

As usual, Seonghwa wore a fitted outfit he had made for himself. This one consisted of airy, slit pants that connected at his ankles and flared around the length of his exposed legs. The top matched, made from the same wispy black fabric that exposed most of his collarbone and his stomach. Black had always looked great on his pale silver skin.

Mingi beamed at him, delighted to see the redhead again.

"Stop, you embarrassing old man. You don't get the noble blessing as soon as you enter the palace," Mingi giggled. Seonghwa ceased his antics and carried off a pile of clothes to expose a little table with two chairs underneath. With a hum, he brought over tea and cookies instead.

"Who knows? You got a certain glow to you. How have you been?"

They sat down together and Seonghwa listened with an attentive smile to every little detail Mingi had experienced during his time. He left out anything that could lead to unhealthy rumours about anyone, just brushing past San as a visitor interested in marriage.