9. Beyond The Fields

Me? Double updating because I got my exams done and am happy about it? More likely than you think!

********

Mingi had never left the area of the town and his carrot farm before. Even going up to the castle on the volcano had been a first for him. Now that Yunho steered Ave right towards the dark forest beyond the fields, however, Mingi brimmed with excitement and wonder. He had always wanted to explore those woods but never quite dared to alone. Seonghwa feared them. When he had been a young kid still, he had ventured between the tall black foliage trees once. Whenever he told Mingi of the eerie creature with antlers bigger than Seonghwa himself he claimed to have discovered, he shuddered.

After seeing Ave, Mingi was less convinced that Seonghwa's young mind had just blown the creature out of proportion.

Back here were no estates. The lava river that carried through the forest left a fiery trail in the short grass. Mingi saw a herd of sheep grazing nearby. Their horns were similar to his.

"Where will you take us today, Yunho?" San asked. His hips moved fluidly with every step of his horse, adjusting to angles in a way that Mingi hadn't mastered in years.

Yunho gave him a secretive smile and peered at Mingi, too, as if he were still part of their conversation.

"A magical spot. You'll love it," the prince replied mysteriously. Intrigued, San leaned closer into his personal bubble. If he was conscious of Mingi's gaze, he didn't show it.

"Your favourite spot?"

The corners of Yunho's lips twitched.

"One of them, yes."

Triumphant over knowing more about Yunho's favourite spot than San did, Mingi smiled to himself. He wanted to have a conversation, too, and to discuss the new impressions their beautiful lands gave him. But the demon beside him was silent as a grave. Mingi didn't want to try penetrating her mask of indifference. He didn't want to bother the two princes with his own talking either. Instead, he just slumped on his saddle and looked around full of admiration. If he remembered everything well, he could still tell Seonghwa about it once they met again in a few days.

At the memory, Mingi thumbed at his sharpening horns. Still some time.

Yunho likely had someone who trimmed his horns for him, too. Working at that angle above his head had to be impractical, and it was easier to get the angles right if one wasn't on the receiving end.

As Mingi pondered how Yunho would look if his horns grew out, the two princes at the front continued with their merry chat. Ave's hooves left a trail of lava behind them as if it dripped from her fur at every step.

They entered the woods on a narrow path that didn't allow them to ride next to each other. One knight took the lead in case a wild creature came at them. San followed up, ever so heroic. Yunho followed and right behind was Mingi. Happy to be near Yunho's relaxed form on the mighty back of Ave, Mingi quietly idolised him.

"These woods are older than our kingdom. The trees rarely die but scions sprout all the time. It spread out far in the time I grew up. If we didn't tame it, it would probably take over all of our lands."

Yunho said it towards the side as if he wanted to include both ends of their group in his tale. A sweet gesture. Mingi nodded along interestedly.

Up at the front, San hummed.

"They are impressive. Do pixies nest here? The hunting sport largely ruined our forests since they are full of them."

Black like ink, the trees passed them. Their mighty crowns created a roof filtered by the orange light of day. Each leaf was framed with a fiery red lining that made them look as if set ablaze and let the red veins inside the leaves shine through. Some jagged branches hung into the procession's path and one by one, the men ahead brushed them aside with their horns without needing to raise their hands.