13. Alliance

The kitchens had prepared a magnificent plethora of different dishes made of carrots in the night. When Mingi collected them, he was surprised to see soup, dough pockets with meat and vegetable filling, and even a cake made with carrots. They were wilder than anything Mingi had ever imagined using carrots in. He had only ever gnawed on them raw as a side to his bread.

"This is magnificent. All with my carrots?" Mingi had asked, completely floored. The cook had cooed at his flabbergasted expression.

"But of course! And there are many left to go. I hope the prince will share these with you so you can taste the true variety of what you deem a simple vegetable! Now scurry away, sweetling."

Mingi hurried to salute her with a bright grin. Then he carefully loaded the tray into his arms and scurried back to Yunho's quarters.

When he didn't see San again, Mingi's surprise rose. He had fully expected the obnoxious prince to cling to Yunho at any hour of the day, but the opposite seemed to be the case. Mingi barely saw the other man apart from dinner.

Once Yunho was dressed and they had sat down for tea and breakfast together, Mingi addressed his surprise.

"Yunho, I've been wondering. Is Prince San busy these days? Does he have any matters to attend to during his visit here?"

The blissed-out expression Yunho had just sported a moment ago after tasting the meat pouches morphed into contemplation.

"He does. Compared to me, San is a man for action. He is gathering information on the terrorist attacks these days. I believe he mentioned at our last meeting that he would have to travel back to his country for a while with my father soon so the kings could discuss these matters. The number of victims has become our primary concern."

With a frown, Mingi nodded. Yunho continued in a lighter tone.

"But then he will soon be back to try to woo me. If you and Onnah want something to grimace about, I can arrange for something."

Mingi ducked his head and pretended his utmost fixation on his soup. His spoon trembled in his hand and Yunho chuckled at him knowingly.

"You weren't supposed to notice that," Mingi squeaked out. With a casual hand that was decorated with golden rings today, Yunho waved it off.

"Not at all, it amused me greatly, too. I can't exactly reject San, but you likely have noticed by now that I am not partaking in his flirtations."

Regaining his confidence, Mingi nodded. His eyes absent-mindedly stuck to the way Yunho's golden armlet hugged his flexing biceps tightly. Its ornately winding design matched the rings he wore on his horns.

"Why is that? As the Queen said, isn't it advantageous for political relations to marry? San is no unattractive man either." Mingi didn't understand it. Not that Yunho didn't have a vast pool of suitors to choose from, but San seemed like a fitting match. More so, if Yunho were to wed a low-ranking citizen, the social difference between them could become a cause of discomfort. And gather unwarranted attention, too.

"I know of his worth and he is a charming fellow, as you say. But I regard him as nothing more than a friend. We were raised like brothers since our mothers wanted us to know each other early on and grow up together. Now that San pursues a relationship, I notice my lack of interest in one. I adore San, but not in a way that will allow him in my bed."

Mingi had been nodding along with the confession wisely. As soon as the last sentence dropped from Yunho's lips, Mingi averted his eyes shyly. His poor heart was not ready for the imagination of Yunho sharing his bed with anyone. Especially not after Mingi had been spread out on it a few nights ago.