18. Game of Evasion

The next morning, Mingi wasn't too confident in his wish to wake Yunho. While aware of his duties, Mingi spent almost five more minutes in bed rolling around when he usually would have got up already. His eyes burned from the lack of sleep, body begging him to take a rest and simply confess to Yunho he wasn't feeling so great.

Yet, the more responsible side of Mingi knew that his inner turmoil shouldn't impede Yunho's daily duties. His night of thinking had led him to the conclusion that Yunho had every right to be sleeping with people he was enticed by. Doing so behind the solid walls of the castle and with the respect he treated people with, nothing was wrong with it. Yunho attracted people left and right, and among demons, there was no need to shun these matters.

Then why did Mingi's heart feel as if stabbed by a dozen knives? Because of the attention Yunho had given him that he had wished to be exclusive to him? Because Yunho might sleep with San after all and that the signals he had sent towards Mingi had been no more but his usual flirtatious?

It hurt. Mingi's heart hurt, and even after an entire night of his dilemma, he couldn't help himself.

After so many times of telling himself that his attraction to Yunho was uncalled for and so many times of Yunho proving to him that his feelings were valid and reciprocated, Mingi felt like a fool now. How could he have dared to believe that he had stood out to the regal demon more than others? Even when Yunho didn't divide between the two different horned groups, amongst draped horned people were many more attractive demons than Mingi.

Mingi was queasy from hunger and lack of sleep. And even as he dragged himself up from bed, he didn't want to go.

Loyal to his duties, Mingi slipped into his shirt, buttoning it up cleanly. He took the book with him he needed to give Yunho. As he trudged downstairs to fetch Yunho's meal, he was slow. Once he went back up, he had reached a snail's pace.

Mingi wasn't prepared to intrude into that room again and to find Yeosang sleeping next to the prince. Surely, Yunho didn't take advantage of his power with such matters, right? Or was the reason he pushed off San, since he could make use of the servants easier?

Mingi's head suffered with his unanswered questions and the lingering feeling of betrayal. Even as he tried to practise nonchalance and school his features into a mask of indifference, Mingi caught himself slipping. Tight, his tail curled around his leg as if offering comfort for his broken heart.

After he had reached Yunho's door, Mingi exhaled once more. Then, he carefully knocked in the same custom as always.

No answer. No voices inside, either.

With his head ducked, Mingi entered the room. His eyes searched the bed instantly, trying to make out the number of limbs under the sheets. Once he had prepared the tray, he hesitantly trudged closer.

Yunho was alone.

Relief flooded Mingi at the same moment that an evil voice asked him how often Yunho had indulged late-night visitors that Mingi didn't know of. Catching him once had already put a strain on Mingi's side of their relationship. Who knew who else was involved.

With a sigh, Mingi shook off his malicious thoughts once more.

It was not his place.

Unmotivated, he shook Yunho's shoulder. The prince's skin under his fingertips was pleasantly hot, as always. Mingi's mind connected it with gentle touches and flutters in his stomach, but today it sent no more but another rush of bitterness through him.

"My Prince. You need to wake."

Yunho slept deeply tonight. His blanket was mostly kicked off regularly and this time, Mingi couldn't help but glance down on his form to spot any evidence of what had occurred the night prior. No marks marred his tattooed skin, and not even a strand of hair reminisced about his nightly visitor.