4. First Day

Mingi didn't possess much, so it didn't take him long to spread out in his spacious chambers. He had more shelving options than ever before, and his room still looked empty, even after he had sorted his few items into them.

Once all three shirts he possessed had found a comfortable place in the chest at the foot of his bed, Mingi stepped back with a satisfied smile. With his hands stemmed onto his hips, he regarded his new little empire. The mattress was heavenly soft; he would sleep on it like a cloud. Even the pillow had been accustomed to match his horns and make sure he would lie on it comfortably.

Before Mingi left for Yunho's chambers, he cleaned his hooves and buttoned up his shirt. He liked going without a top to be more comfortable, but that was hardly appropriate for a palace servant. Only when he was satisfied with his appearance, he left the room to climb the stairs to the upper floor.

Yeosang wasn't around to help him today. He was back on his own duties, and Mingi had spotted him only fleetingly when he had greeted Jongho and Mingi on their way in.

As Mingi hurried to the upper floor, he held himself to the left to leave space for people in a rush. His fingers self-consciously fiddled with his horns. The memory of Yunho's majestic horns was still fresh in Mingi's mind. Not even in his wildest dreams, Mingi could ever imagine himself with a pair similar to the prince.

Yunho's horns were likely capable weapons, and they made him more than a head taller than Mingi. To say that Mingi was fascinated by them would be an understatement.

As Mingi walked down the corridors laid out with thick red carpets, he counted the doors at his side. The seventh in that corridor was Yunho's, and Mingi rapped his knuckles against the prince's door hesitantly.

"Come in," the same kind voice as last time called. Nervous to see him again, Mingi peeked his head in. His horns nearly got stuck in the narrow space he had opened for himself.

With searching eyes, he looked around. Yunho just came down from the corner his bed was in. He wore a long grey veiled robe over his shoulders. It slipped tantalisingly over his skin to try and pool around his elbows.

Mingi tried not to stare at his chest too hard.

"Hello," the servant said with a timid smile. When Yunho located him, a huge grin broke out on his features.

"Mingi! Come in, don't hide away there. How have you been?"

The unexpected question about Mingi's personal feelings threw him off. Awkwardly, he shuffled inside to stand on the other side of the door. Naturally, his hands clasped in front of him to offer his claws to fidget with.

"Ah, good! Yeosang and Jongho were a great help. I was able to move my belongings over here and settled successfully."

Yunho's robe swept behind him over the floor like a wisp of mist. He bent down to the low table to fill two cups with tea. His horned head bowed gracefully as he devoted all of his focus to his task.

"That is wonderful to hear. Come sit. Did you take enough time to get used to the palace? I'm willing to give you more days off if it helps you settle," Yunho offered with a slight frown etched onto his features. Hastily, Mingi waved his hands around as he followed the man's beckon.

"Oh no, it's fine! I am motivated to start serving you, and what else will get me used to these surroundings if not working in them?" Mingi gifted him a bright smile. He hoped Yunho didn't find it stupid. In the past, Mingi had been called stupid-looking for his smile before because it took over so much of his features. Also, because one of his upper incisor teeth was crooked.

Yunho didn't seem to mind. They sat down together, and Yunho drew the robe barely shut over his chest. Through the mostly transparent fabric, Mingi could still see his jewellery and tattoos.