11. Jewellery

Mingi's fingers had barely rapped against Yunho's door when the man already asked him to come in. He found Yunho in his room, lounging with a book on his preferred divan. The flames in the fireplaces let shadows dance on his skin until his tattoos seemed to come to life.

Today, Yunho hadn't even bothered to wear anything but pants. As usual, his jewellery was still neatly in place, currently even joined by multiple piercings in his ears that connected filigree golden chains between his lobes and helix.

Upon recognising Mingi, Yunho shut the book and sat up. A faint smile passed between the two of them.

"You trimmed your horns," the prince noted right away. His voice was warm as he put his book down and stood. Shy, Mingi reached up to feel over the bandage once more.

"Yes, I visited my best friend in town today, and he helped me with them. Because of the angle, I can't file them myself." Curious, Mingi tilted his head. "Do you cut your horns yourself?"

"I do. Although I require help too sometimes. I usually let Onnah do the parts I can't reach. She has talented hands." When Yunho beckoned Mingi to follow him to the corner his bed stood in, Mingi shuffled after him shyly.

"So, what does your friend do?" Casual conversation to fill the awkward air between them was always easy with Yunho. He knew how to ask simple questions.

"He's a tailor. Although not one affiliated with the castle."

Humming, Yunho came to stand next to the casket on a wall projection that held part of his jewellery. He had a lot, strewn in boxes all around, but he stored his most often worn ones there.

"I wonder about his talents. Maybe I will commission him someday. Say, Mingi, do you still want that piercing?"

With gleaming eyes, Mingi nodded.

"Seonghwa is definitely worth the time! He does wonderful work. And yes, I do."

Mingi nervously played with his claws as Yunho went to work. Fluid like a stream, the muscles on his back shifted as he picked out something from the box. It was too small for Mingi to see in his hand, but he carried it carefully as he went to the bathroom to clean it off. When he returned, he also carried a needle in his hand, long and thin, but far thicker than the needles Seonghwa used for sewing and poking his fingers.

Nervous over the pain, Mingi fidgeted in the spot. When Yunho searched his eyes once more to identify confidence, Mingi smiled at him. Promptly, Yunho returned the gesture.

"If you're ready, you can sit down on my bed," Yunho offered with a polite motion to the piece of furniture. Gulping, Mingi glanced at his massive nest, the image of Yunho lolling in it like a god ascended to their midst still fresh in his mind.

"Why not the divan?"

"The bed has a better height for me to work on, and it doesn't curve. We can also go to your room if you are more comfortable with that?" Patiently, Yunho's tail swished behind him. The movement was hypnotic, drawing Mingi's flickering eyes in.

"Oh, no, it's no matter! Let us remain in your quarters."

Mingi's dilemma had a different root. Understanding, Yunho nodded at him and stepped over to his bed to raise the golden curtains out of the way and fastened them to the bedposts with the ribbons attached there. When the prince's hand patted the bed to invite Mingi on it once more, Mingi's stomach lurched. It took him all his physical willpower to step to Yunho's side. When he crawled on the soft mattress, it raised him high enough that his dangling legs didn't reach the ground anymore.

With a smile of praise, Yunho sat his utensils down on the sheets next to Mingi. They were neatly spread out on his round mattress and flattened out. Nothing reminded of the prince's gold-kissed body tangling with the blankets in a tantalising picture.