23. A Gift

If Mingi's and Yunho's gazes had been lingering before, they were downright stuck to each other by now. Every time they passed each other, their shoulders or tails brushed in greeting. Secretive smiles underlined coy eye contact. Their little blossoming love was private between the two of them, untouched by even San and his bold advances. After the number of reassurances Mingi had got from Yunho, his envy stayed well put in the pandora's box deep inside his heart he had sealed it in. Whenever San hooked his arm around that of the prince or kissed his cheek, only to glance over at Mingi to relish in his reaction, Mingi stayed confident.

Mingi had lost count of all the instances Yunho had proved his devotion to Mingi. Kindness that surpassed his usual sociable behaviour, moments of being together in seconds of intimate tension that left both of them yearning for more.

And while it was scary and Mingi still feared treading into the territory of inexperience, he trusted Yunho to guide him.

After yet another day of no pixie incident, the palace inhabitants allowed their shoulders to slacken the barest bit. For the moment, their eerie guards on nightmarish horses that patrolled the town alleys at night scared off the pixie killer. Each day, they searched for their hideout and received the reports of the townspeople. The pixie was trapped under tight surveillance.

On some days like that day, Yunho joined the hunting troupe. Mingi once more got left in his room on a free day to sigh over his romance novels and thumb at his gradually sharpening horns. Some of the books held romantic scenes that Mingi yearned to try with Yunho. They spoke of kisses under snow, of sitting under the stars together, and of making breakfast for each other. While the last barely counted since Mingi brought him breakfast every day anyway, his heart fluttered at the sweet imaginations it fed into his brain.

Mingi's favourite were the scenes that bordered just shy on intimate content. He liked the idea of long sessions of making out lazily. The idea of sitting on Yunho's lap to kiss him alone had Mingi hide his grin on his pillow.

When he heard Yunho's group returning downstairs, Mingi shoved his book underneath his pillow and rolled off his bed to greet the man. The initial excitement over their every return had settled by now. Today, too, the princes returned with empty hands. San excused himself first to dip into the kitchen and save his body from starvation.

Yunho joined Mingi on the stairs with a private smile. They walked alongside each other in the gallery. As soon as they were out of sight from the bustling crowd in the mighty foyer, Yunho's hand searched for Mingi's. Their pinkies linked when Yunho quickened his step. A moment later they jumped up the stairs, taking two at a time while they tried not to giggle too loudly. Mingi pressed his hand to his mouth so his euphoria wouldn't spill as he ran to keep up with Yunho.

The prince threw the door to his quarters open and spun Mingi around. The moment Mingi crashed into his arms, Yunho's back connected with the door to throw it shut. Their giggles burst over their lips without another second of waiting. Yunho leaned his forehead against Mingi's as they laughed, amused by their secrecy where none was needed.

Laughing with Yunho like this was precious.

Mingi hiccuped around his last heave, making both of them break out in smiles again. They still stood wrapped around each other, bodies aligned as they relished the touch of their skin. Neither of them minded the grip of Yunho's sword digging into their sides.

"Are you in a good mood, Your Highness?" Mingi's eyes never left Yunho's as his hands fiddled with the clasps holding his armour to his shoulders. As if he had to memorise his features, Yunho stared back. Gradually, more of his grey and black skin got exposed as Mingi undressed him.