Short Stories|Book 1

By MotherMelanin02

Title says it all More

One
One|Part Two
One|Part Three
One|Part Four
One|Part Five
Two
Three
Four
Four||Part Two
Five
Six
Six||Part Two
Seven
Eight
Eight||Part Two
Nine
Nine||Part Two
Ten
Ten||Part Two
Ten||Part Three
Eleven
Eleven||Part Two
Eleven||Part Three
Eleven|Published
Twelve
Thirteen
Thirteen||Part Two
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Seventeen||Part Two
Eighteen
Eighteen||Part Two
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Six||Part Two
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Seven||Part Two
Twenty-Seven||Part Three
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Twenty-Nine||Part Two
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-One||Part Two
Thirty-One |Part Three
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Four||Part Two
Thirty-Four||Part Three
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Five||Part Two
Thirty-Five||Part Three
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Six||Part Two
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Author's Note

Forty-Eight

613 37 5
By MotherMelanin02

"With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear"

"You guys were incredible!" an excited eight-year-old Clare came storming into her terraced home. "No, not incredible. Amazing, electrifying -"

"We get it," her older brother Axel shook his head as he guided his bandmate Grace inside the home with their cased electric guitars. He set them to the side and closed the door.

As she kicked off her shoes, Grace took in the smell of the home, having been there a few times before.

While Axel took off her jacket, she mapped out what she could remember of the home's layout. She reached to her right, touching the arm of the couch. They were in the living room.

A vibration sprang through the sofa, hitting her palm. Grace was jumping on it as she imitated Axel's guitar solo.

Grace smiled, "is she doing air guitar again?"

"Yes," Axel rolls his eyes. "Off the couch," he snapped. "and off to bed you go, it's late."

Clare lands on her butt, whining, "but I'm not tired yet. How could I sleep after such a great night?"

"Clare, don't argue," Axel leads Grace to the couch.

"Please, let me stay up! Just for a few minutes!" she begged.

"Five minutes, and you're off," Axel reasoned. "Thirsty?" he asked Grace.

"Yeah, sure, I'll take whatever you have."

"Alright then," Axel widened his eyes at Clare. "Five minutes. Make it count."

As he goes to the kitchen, Clare quickly takes off her jacket and shoes and gets comfortable beside Grace.

"So, you like the nightlife, eh?" Grace asked her.

"Do I?" Clare fought the urge to stand on the sofa. "I love it! I wish Axel would let me come out with you guys more often."

"Well, as cool as it is to have you around, the nightlife isn't a place for someone your age."

"I can handle myself," Clare said matter-of-factly. "Despite what others may think, Axel included. He always treats me like a child," she pouted.

Grace pats the air until she finds Clare's head. She ruffles her hair, "go easy on your brother. You're all each other has. He's doing his best and just wants to keep you safe."

Clare sighed, "I know." Silence fell over the two; they could hear Axel moving about in the kitchen.

Clare watched Grace thoughtfully.

Grace rarely looked in the direction of the person she was talking to; she's preferred looking at the floor if she could help it.

It was her choice to not wear glasses, but she was still mindful that it might make others uncomfortable to have a blind person staring past or at them.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Grace nodded.

"Promise you won't get mad."

"Promise," Grace could sense what her question was going to be about. Just because she couldn't see didn't mean she couldn't feel the stares she often received - especially by a curious Clare.

"Were you always okay with being blind?"

Grace chuckles, "No, but I've learned to love it. As crazy as it sounds, I prefer a life without eyes."

"Really?" Clare's jaw was to the floor.

"Yes," Grace takes her tiny hand, tracing the lines in her palm.

It was her way of "seeing" people.

"When I was around your age, I remember having this breakdown about how I wish I could see and be normal like other children. My father sat me down, held my hand just like this, actually."

Clare watched Grace trace the lines in her palm, enthralled by the story.

"He told me that being blind was my superpower. I and many others like me have no choice but to see and judge the matters of the heart."

"Huh?" Clare frowned. "I don't understand."

"You see, we live in a world where everybody is distracted by material things, the things that glitter and shine. It's why we fail to see the heart, true intentions, contradictions, red flags, even the bad feeling you get in your gut when something is wrong."

"Like intuition?" Clare asked.

"Yes, exactly. Because I can't see, I have no choice but to read between the lines and look out for the details that people who can see often look over. I see life through tones and words, touch - intuition. Understand?"

"I think so," Clare was hanging on every word. "I think your dad is right. It is a superpower. I wish I had it. Maybe I wouldn't have been so disappointed when my mum didn't come back."

Grace squeezes her hand sadly. "You can have it. Anyone can. It just takes practice. It's harder to work on when you can see, and you're only eight. You're supposed to be excited by the things you see. It's when you're older that you realize not all things that glitter are good for you. Especially boys," she whispers.

"Tell me about it," Clare made her laugh.

Axel comes in, interrupting their laughter with a clearing of his throat and two beers. "Five minutes up."

"You're no fun," a pouting Clare grabbed her jacket and her shoes. "Good night," she kissed Grace on the cheek.

"Night, love. And don't forget to tell all your lads that you hung out with the best band in Manchester."

"Oh, I won't," Clare went upstairs, anticipating the popularity she'd receive because she got to hang out in a bar.

"She adores you, you know that?" Axel sat by Grace, who scoots over a bit, so he has room.

"I adore her too. You're doing a good job with her."

"Yeah, well, she drives me nuts, but I couldn't imagine life with her. Draft, okay?"

"Perfect," Grace holds out her hand, and he places the beer in her grip.

Both, take a sip.

"Have you thought about what you'll do when you're mum comes back? If she does, I mean."

"I try not to think about it if I'm honest," he takes their beers and puts them on the table.

Grace sits back comfortably, staring forward as she listens.

"When I finally realized that my mother wasn't coming back to get her, I was sacred. Clare and I were estranged. I didn't know it meant to raise a kid. Now when we're apart, when I'm working, and she's at school. Or I'm out on a gig while she's here. It feels like a part of me is missing."

Grace smiled, and his heart fluttered. She didn't have a perfect smile; her two front teeth were longer than the other. The longest one even slanted a bit. It oddly went perfect with her bubbly personality.

Unlike others, Axel thought her smile was breathtaking, as trite as it sounded.

"I know Clare feels the same way. Even the way she stares you at you, Axel. You're her world. She'll surely give your mum a hard time if she returns and tries to take her back."

"And I won't let her go without a fight."

"Good," Grace was happy and relieved to hear. She hated the thought of the brother-sister duo being torn apart. After spending some much time with them, she knew Axel was what was best for Clare.

As if her father passing away wasn't bad enough, she didn't need a mother who dropped her off to do god knows what and come back when she felt like it. Axel was too young to be a father, but he stepped up to the plate and did his best to give her what she needed.

A parent willing to learn and grow was better than one who'd rather neglect their child altogether.

"So," Axel cleared his throat. "I heard you talking to Clare about your superpower."

"Yeah?"

"I'm curious to know, have you used your superpower on me?" Axel takes her hand, tracing the lines in her palm.

"Obviously," Grace blushed. "If it weren't for my superpower, you wouldn't be in the band."

He chuckles, "I can admit, I was surprised you guys picked me. I know I wasn't the most skilled."

"No, you weren't, but you were humble, passionate, willing to learn . . . something those a lot more skilled didn't have. I liked that about that. I still do. You've grown a lot." Grace lifts her hand, cupping his cool pale cheek. "I can hear it in your music. Even the way you talk - it's different. In a good way."

Axel closed his eyes briefly as she slid the back of her hand down his cheek.

It was no secret the two had grown close since he joined the band. Their bandmates weren't fond of him joining at first since he wasn't as skilled. Grace treated him kindly and encouraged him until they warmed up to him.

Though everyone was close now, there was a bond with Grace that Axel didn't have with the rest of the group.

It wasn't until Clare and Grace met for the first time that their friendship started turning into something more.

Clare wasn't easily impressed; for her to gravitate to Grace so quickly was like a confirmation of Axel's ever-growing feelings for her.

Unfortunately, Grace was the leader of his band. Axel didn't want to act on his feelings, and later on, their relationship affect the group. Especially when they were doing so well. But he could only suppress his feelings for so long.

Grace chuckled, affectionately grazing his soft, plump lips.

"What?" Axel asked.

"You want to kiss me."

"How'd you know?"

"I didn't. You just told me."

Axel chuckles, his cheeks turning pink. These were the moments he was glad she couldn't see the dopey smile on his face. It was bad enough she could feel how nervous and tense her touch made him. He turned into a schoolboy too shy to make a move.

"Well?" Grace grinned. "What are you waiting for?"

Axel hesitated. One kiss, and everything would change. It would have been wise to mention the group, but he realized that he had an open opportunity and didn't want to ruin it. He took her hand and trailed kisses up her arm, so she knew he was getting close.

Grace smiled, shutting her eyes. The pace of her heartbeat fastened the closer he got to her face.

Axel kissed her neck, then her cheek and leaned his forehead against hers. They sat there for a second, basking in the moment of anticipation. He leaned in and just before their lips could touch . . .

"You guys aren't going to do it, are you?!" Clare yelled from her room.

Grace covered her mouth, giggling; Axel's head fell back in humiliation. "Clare!"

"I live here too, you know?"

"Clare, bed, now!"

"Whatever," was the last thing she said before slamming her door shut.

"What a cock block," Axel shook his head.

"So, you were trying to get in my pants," Grace crossed her arms over her chest.

"No, no, of course not. T-t-that's not what I meant," Axel stuttered nervously. "I mean, for Christ sake, with my sister here?"

"I'm just kidding," Grace made him sigh of relief. "It's pretty late anyway. I should get going."

"Or just stay here," Axel said eagerly than intended. "I mean, you said so yourself," he tried to sound nonchalant. "It's late. You'll have to call a cab, then you'll have to wait for it -"

"It's such a long process," Grace feigned exhaustion but ended up yawning. After a long night, she was indeed tired.

"Come here," Axel laid back, guiding her toward him.

Grace lays her head on his chest, finding warmth in his embrace.

"I want to take you out on a proper date. No distractions -"

"You mean no, Clare."

"Yeah, pretty much," they share a laugh.

"I'd love that," Grace found his hand and intertwined his fingers with hers.

"It's a date then," a smiling Axel kisses her on the forehead. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233K 3.4K 25
This is an imagine book for all my swirl lovers
437 19 2
Hoes could have it all.
29.9K 567 20
Wattpad deleted the book so I'm uploading again and editing the ones from the past. Fluff, Smut and everything else that pops into my head These ch...
121K 4.4K 45
[𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃] 𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒏 𝒂 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒓 𝒘𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉�...