Traffic

By camrynjessichandler

"Going once, going twice, SOLD!" The gavel fell with a loud bang onto the auctioneers table. Kelly stepped fo... More

Traffic
Ch 1: Homework
Ch 2: Masks
Ch 3: Party
Ch 4: Silence
Ch 5: Sold
Ch 6: Sorrow
Ch 7: Drown
Ch 8: Deceit
Ch 9: Questioning
Ch 10: Out
Ch 11: Awoken
Ch 12: Trust
Ch 13: Longing
Ch 14: Goodbye
Ch 14: Scream
Ch 15: Hell
Ch 16: Slut
Ch 17: Wrong
Ch 18: Present
Ch 19: Smile
Ch 20: Nightmare
Ch 21: Familiar
Ch 22: Dad
Ch 23: Decision
Intermission
Ch 24: Morning
Ch 25: Interrogation
Ch 26: Life-Changing
Ch 27: Suspense
Ch 28: Agony
Ch 30: Lost
Ch 31: Locked
Ch 32: Terrors
Ch 33: Helpless
Ch 34: Revenge
Ch 35: Favor
Ch 36: Ghosts
Ch 37: Reunion
Ch 38: Responsible
Ch 39: News
Ch 40: Trace
Ch 41: Tough
Ch 42: Rooftops
Ch 43: Family
Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twleve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Final Author's Note

Ch 29: Released

1.9K 69 6
By camrynjessichandler

        "Kelly," he breathed.

        "Trace," she whispered.

        It didn't take long for the two to be in each other's arms. Trace held his sister tightly as he cried and Kelly silently sobbed with many emotions flying through her mind at a million miles an hour.

        When they finally let go, they sat on the bed together and Trace spoke first, "We all thought you were dead. Mom hired so many people to find you, and the police looked for a year. They looked everywhere, but no one could find you. You were declared dead after a year, Kel. Fred is distraught--"

        "Is she..."

        "She's at home, preparing the house, with mom's help, for your return. She's cleaned your room so many times, but she started there anyhow."

        "But...is she...?"

        "She's good. She's um...She's okay. She really misses you. I still can't believe you're alive--"

        "And you? How are you doing, Trace?"

        "I've been having a lot of trouble, Kelly. I went looking for you. I took everything as a clue and...I just...I refused to believe you were dead, but after months of searching I had to give up. Mom tried to tell me to let go, but then this guy knocked on our door. His first words were: 'Kelly is alive.' I couldn't believe it."

        Kelly looked over at Peter and he nodded, knowing the look was a fond 'thank you' for doing what he did.

        "Anyway, he filled us in on what he knew and said he'd take us to you. I made the women stay at home, but they were in tears of joy when they heard."

        "How is home?"

        "Home is--" He thought about whether or not to tell her of all the trouble they've been going through, but decided against it, "Home is the same...I was hoping to bring you back with me, if you're ready...?"

        Kelly slowly nodded but soon made it a real nod, "I want to go home."

        Trace smiled and hugged and kissed her again. They talked for hours while Peter sat and listened. She told him of her life the past years and said he should tell mom and Fred so she didn't have to keep reliving it.

        "It must feel good to get it off your chest, though," Peter suggests from the corner in almost a whisper.

        Kelly glanced over and nodded, "A bit."

        "I'm sorry," her doctor interrupted, "But visiting hours are over, could you please leave?"

        "Of course. Prepare yourself, though, Kel-Kel, because tomorrow we're going home," Trace said. Kelly nodded and accepted his goodbye kiss, giving him one in return.

        "Peter, wait..." she stopped him before he left.

        "Yes?"

        "I'm sorry...and thank you," she said hoarsely.

        "There's nothing to be sorry for, and you're welcome."

        "You will come with us...won't you?"

        He sighed, run in his fingers through his hair, "My life is here, Kelly. My family, my home...But I know one thing's for sure: part of me will be leaving with you."

        Trace returned as soon as visiting hours began the next day and talked with Kelly of how and when they are going to leave. He was anxious to get her home in hopes Marie would reconcile with him and forgive him.

        "Are you sure you want to fly? We can drive, you know..."

        "I know. I want to fly. It's faster."

        "If you're sure. We're leaving in the morning, so do you want to check out tonight or tomorrow morning?"

        "Tonight, like I said before."

        "Okay. And you're okay with staying with Peter? You don't want a hotel room?"

        "No."

        "Alright. If you're positive."

        "Yes."

        "Okay. I'll go get the papers signed, you stay right here, okay? I'll come and get you when I'm done."

        Kelly nodded and sat on her bed. Trace left the room to go get her released and pay for the bill. She sat alone, looking around at the only room she'd know safety in for the longest time. She wasn't sure she was ready to go outside again for fear of being kidnapped again.

        She ventured to the window and looked out, breathing in the air and watching the people bustling about in the streets, continuing with life whereas she'd been locked up for so long. She remembered how much she'd hated her life of being shut up in the house under the watch of her mother all the time, but now, she longed with every ounce of her being to be in her own house again with her mother watching over her. Never again, she vowed to herself, would she complain about her life. Never again.

        "Taking one last look of downstate New York?"

        She whirled around and saw Peter standing there, smiling at her like he does when she's not looking.

        "Yeah. I've felt safe here for so long, it's...it's gonna be hard."

        "Can I ask you something?"

        "Sure."

        "After all you've been through, most girls would shut down and remain silent and nervous, but yet, you talk. Why do you talk?"

        "Force of habit...When I was with Master, he made me talk. He hated the quiet. I guess I got used to it."

        "Please, Kelly, for me, don't call him that anymore."

        "I don't know any other name for him."

        "So...you don't know who he was?"

        "No..."

        Just then, Trace came back in and Peter didn't answer.

        "Ready to go?"

        Kelly nodded and walked slowly forward, taking Trace's hand. Peter followed behind them as they left the room. Kelly's grip on her brother's hand tightened as they walked further from her room.

        "You alright?" he asked.

        "Yes," she replied. But her eyes were watching everything and her nerves were making her hands shake. Peter noticed this and bravely stepped up closer and took her hand. She was startled, but after a few seconds of thought, she let him hold it. It calmed her nerves to have her hands held.

        They soon reached the doors and a few nurses and doctors clapped for her and said goodbye to her. She nodded towards them and thanked a few before Trace gently pulled her along. One in particular, was her personal nurse who had watched over her and fed her and cared for her while Peter was gone those long weeks. She let go of her brother's and Peter's hands to give her a hug.

        "Thank you for all you did for me," she said.

        "You are very welcome, Kelly. If you ever need anything else. Anything at all, don't hesitate to call."

        Kelly nodded and took her brother's hand and Peter's again, glancing back at her nurse before being led out of the building.

        Once on the street, Kelly's nerves skyrocketed. She practically clung to Trace.

        "Trace, she's not doing well, my car is this way. Come on, hurry," Peter said, jogging ahead to his car.

        "I'm fine, it's okay, there's just...a lot of people," she said as she dodged running into some and practically passed out when others bumped her.

        "Kel, hey, calm down, look at me," Trace said, stopping her and holding her face to look at just him, "You're okay. It's me, Trace. I'm your big brother and I won't ever let anything happen to you again. You believe me, don't you?"

        She nodded, "Yes."

        "Good. And one more thing: you know that Peter loves you, right? He wants you to be okay. He told me he wishes he could come with us so he could watch over you as he did so many months in this hospital, but he has school to finish and work to do, you understand he can't come with us, don't you?"

        She looked over at Peter who was waiting by his car and nodded, "I do understand. I don't know why, but I just...I feel safe around him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

800 13 8
" One day, he went walking through the woods and stumbled across an old and decrepit house. A tempting shadow beckoned him from the window. Once insi...
1.9K 383 25
One night things were fine, the next, everyone Kelly's ever cared about is gone. To make matters worse Kelly has an amazing gift and that's the reaso...
762 30 8
Who knew faking seeing ghosts could send me straight to hell? Literally. One moment I was in my shop, minding my business, and the next a crazy wing...
66.9K 3K 30
" where do you think you are going " his dark brown eyes glare at my scared face. I tried to struggle in his death grip " please... please let me go...