TORTURED SOUL, general kiriga...

By -tothelakes

COMPLETED, liliya was an inferni and one of general kirigan's closest advisors. she was not the conventional... More

TORTURED SOUL
GRAPHICS
ACT ONE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
ACT TWO
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

2.5K 143 144
By -tothelakes

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE.

"So how exactly do you plan on getting us out?" Liliya asked as she looked at Ivan. He had been sitting by the door for the past ten minutes watching the Shu men speaking. He told her what was happening every few minutes but mostly kept it to himself, keeping quiet. Liliya didn't trust him. She hadn't for weeks but all of this confirmed her, "Ivan," Liliya snapped. The man turned back

"Be quiet or they'll hear us," He snapped as he looked down at her. She rolled her eyes before staring down at her bandage. It was still badly wrapped and she really needed to redo it at some point but she didn't have the supplies and if they got out, it would soon be healed so it didn't entirely matter. She just needed to get out.

"I need you to use your shadows. Blind them," Ivan said as he turned to face her. The Shu men were talking loudly, practically cackling. Night was falling once again and they were only getting more drunk. Liliya could hear it in their voice and their slurred Shu.

"And then what?" Liliya asked as she pushed herself to her feet. It was surprising that they hadn't come to check on the Grisha but she was thankful. It gave her and Ivan enough time to come up with a plan. Though she was wary, wary of him abandoning her like she suspected. He hated her more than anyone seemed to. His love had quickly morphed to jealousy and anger, resentment. His presence exhausted her.

"And then we get out and leave the Boy to the Shu," Ivan said as he stood up, brushing down his kefta. There were blood stains covering the fabric now. Most of it from Liliya when she booted his nose. Dried blood was still evident on his cupid's bow but they had long lost care for how they looked by this point.

"We can't leave the Boy, Ivan. That is the only reason any of us are here," Liliya snapped, keeping her voice low. The Shu men had gone quiet and their gazes moved to the door. Hearing movement, stamping against the floor and then a roar of cheers. Someone seemed to have been chugging... something. Liliya didn't know and didn't bother to look. The drunker they were, the better.

"And that Boy has caused us nothing but danger. I don't think General Kirigan will care as long as we come back alive," Ivan said simply. His gaze flicking to the door before landing on the redhead again. Liliya pushed her fingers through her hair and stared up at him again.

"He is just a pawn in this power game. Everyone is using him. At least if we take him to the Little Palace, he might be moved off the chess board," Liliya argued, crossing her arms over her chest. Ivan rolled his eyes and took a step back, "He's a kid, Ivan. We can't leave him," Liliya hissed. Ivan gritted his teeth and adjusted the kefta around him. It fitting snugly against his body.

"That is exactly what we will do. The Boy does not matter. Now are you ready?" Ivan asked. Liliya sighed. She would get that Boy. He could be the Sun Summoner. He could save all of Ravka. He may have stabbed her, hurt her. He could be the reason for all this but he was still only a child. A child in a game of politics that he was too young to comprehend. It would be cruel to leave him. Leave him to be murdered by the ruthless Shu assassins that were currently getting drunk.

It then occured to Liliya that she had no idea where they were. Ivan hadn't told her if they had been taken somewhere, she assumed that he didn't know. Someone would have come for them if they were still in that tavern. Kirigan, Roma, Lev, even the First Army soldiers probably would have come. They weren't stupid. But nothing. They must have moved.

"What do we plan on doing once we get out the doors?" Liliya asked as she moved to stand by him. She was limping, her calf screaming in pain with each movement but she grit her teeth. She could get through it. This wasn't the worst thing she had faced in recent weeks. Sitting with a knife in her intestines for hours had been worse than this. She knew that she would be fine.

"Run," Ivan said simply. The redhead sighed. It was like he had forgotten that she could barely walk. There had to be a better plan but then he had opened the door and she couldn't even think about it. Her hands moved quickly and the darkness invaded the room. Clouding their vision. She heard Ivan move and then guns. She heard them cocking.

Her foot moved forward and the darkness guided her. Ivan still stood by her side. She could feel his presence, barely, but it was there. It was like the darkness was speaking to her. Her feet moved through and then she felt Ivan grab her hand. His head leant down and he whispered 'Duck'. Liliya was quick to do so but her calf gave out. Her body falling forward and she felt a foot slam against her back. A soft cry escaping her lips.

"Good luck," Ivan said before he darted away through the darkness. The darkness stayed up, shrouding her but she could hear the movement. The Shu assasssins and it wasn't long until they would find her. Until they would stumble across her in the dark and she had to get up. Her fingers pushed against the stone floor and she got up.

Her whole body ached, her hands shaking. Her back throbbing from where Ivan had stamped against her spine. If she could get out, she would be safe but her hold on the shadows was shaky. Shaky enough that everything was beginning to get lighter. The pain hit her in another wave and her leg tried to give in but she pushed herself up. All her energy going into staying upright as she stumbled blindly to find the door.

But then she went right into somebody's chest. It wasn't Ivan. They were wearing fire and she felt a hand grip her. Someone speaking in a low voice. It was Shu and her pain-addled mind couldn't quite make out what it was. Her hands moved to push his chest but then the pain hit again. It was like a tsunami and her leg gave out. The last sliver of hold on the shadows vanished and the room was in light again. They could all see her and Ivan was gone.

The guns were trained on her and she limply held her hands up. There was no point in resisting it. Ivan had betrayed her. The Boy was going to die and she was going to die. Some part of her was content with the fate that she had been handed. It wasn't entirely as cruel as she expected. It wasn't like her father. He was tortured and murdered in Fjerda, she had discovered. Liliya was just going to be shot by a Shu assassin. It was nice in comparison.

"Don't shoot her," A voice she didn't recognise spoke. It was Shu again but their voice was clear, loud. They had their hands by their sides and she twisted her head to see a tall man. A man she recognised. His clean-shaven sharp jawline. The scar etching across the side of his face and across his lips. Those forest green eyes that had brought her so much comfort once. Her jaw fell slack at the sight... the man. She didn't understand, "Where is Tomas? Did you shoot him?" The man asked as he turned his gaze across the Shu assassins. There was a nod from one of the men and the newcomer sighed. He shook his head slightly, "Good. He served his purpose," The man mumbled as he walked over to Liliya.

"He was Grisha scum. Just like her. She is a threat," One of the Shu assassins said. Liliya snapped her head up to him. The newcomer rolled his eyes.

"We can dissect her when we are home. All of you step out, take Daish for a walk," The newcomer said. Liliya still not quite believing it. Her hands were shaky and the sick was climbing up her throat. Her head slamming against her chest. Words escaped her and it was only when the door slammed and the Shu assassins were gone did she find herself able to speak.

"How are you alive?" She asked. Her voice trembled. Her hands reaching out for anything, grabbing the edge of the table to pull herself up. Her gaze flicking around the room. It was a tavern of some sort. Small, compact, drinks along the table but it was silent. Tables empty. Bar empty. Just reminders of the assassins.

"I always had my ways, malysh," He responded. His true Ravkan accent seeping into his words as he smiled. That warm smile that made her want to hug him.

"The Fjerdans took you," Liliya argued as she stared at him. He glanced over at the door before he met her gaze once again. He stepped closer and reached his hands out to take a hold of her but she flinched back.

"Do not flinch away from me," He said. The annoyance laced his tone and she felt like a child again. Like she was being scolded. Her eyes narrowed and she looked up at him defiantly, taking a step back. She stumbled slightly but caught herself on the table.

"Do they know who you are? That you are a summoner. That you are the very people they are hunting?" Liliya asked. The man stared at him, the neutral expression passing over his face, "They don't. I could tell them. I speak Shu as well as you," Liliya said quickly, bolting for the door. But he was faster and he threw her to the ground. A cry escaping her lips as her body collided with the stone. Her head smacking on the floor.

"Don't be brainless, malysh. They would never believe you," He warned as he stared down at her. He hadn't changed a second. His words stung. His accent had always been strong and harsh. Every word felt like it could cut her. It had only gotten worse now that she was older and she realised how dangerous he truly was.

"Why are you here, Isaak?" She said, finally speaking his name. It felt foreign on her tongue but something told her she'd be saying it a lot more often now. He was alive. He was alive and in front of her, looking as regal and dangerous as he always did.

"For now, I am keeping you alive," He responded. Liliya pushed herself up again and her father helped her this time. His hand taking her arm and keeping her upright. He glanced at the door and then looked back to her, "But once we are in Shu Han, I'll let them dissect you. You never deserved this power," He smirked before she felt his fist collide with her face. The blood pouring from her nose as she stumbled before he grabbed her hair at its roots and bashed her head against the table. A cry left her lips and then he did it again. The darkness came again. Flooding her until she fell unconscious into the arm's of the man she had lost so long ago.

***

When Liliya woke again, she didn't know where she was. The room was dark, everything was dark. Her hands moved out and she felt the stone around her. It seemed she was in the stone room still. But there were no binds. It was just her, alone, in the room. She didn't know what game was being played but she knew it was not good. Isaak was back. He was alive.

Then she heard a whimper and her head snapped to the corner. A Boy was curled up. His arms wrapped tightly around him and she saw his teeth chattering. She could hear them clashing and she realised just how cold it was. Her fingers pressed against her cheeks and they were cold to the touch. It was strange but then she looked to the Boy again. Daish. That was his name.

"Daish, are you cold?" Liliya asked, her words were clear in Shu. Pain jolted through her body every few seconds, her head throbbed. Her nose hurt. Her back ached. Her calf stung and she wanted to scream in agony at every movement. But he was more important. He was just a child. The Boy seemed to look up, recognisation on his face.

"Leave me alone," He spoke. Liliya stared for a moment before she crawled closer. Dragging her leg after her, trying to keep the pressure of it. She wasn't going to let the Boy freeze to death. He may have stabbed her but there wouldn't be another child's death on her hands. Indirectly or not.

"I want to help you. Please, let me," The woman spoke softly. Her hands reached out towards his smaller one. Even despite how small she was, his hand was still small in hers. His teeth chattered again and she stared at him through the gloom, "Please," She added. Daish looked up at her, meeting her gaze properly.

"Who are you? Why did you come for me?" The boy asked. Liliya dragged herself closer. Wincing at the pain, her eyes squeezing shut briefly before she then pulled the kefta from under her. Her fingers tugging on the sleeves, pulling it off her body.

"My name is Liliya. I am a Grisha but I do not intend to harm you. I came to you on orders. I need to bring you back to the Little Palace. I don't want to harm you," Liliya said as she pulled the kefta off. A shiver ran down her spine at the change in temperature but she ignored it. Instead, she gestured for the boy to shuffle forward.

"What is that?" He asked. Liliya pulled the kefta around his shoulders and pulled his arms into the sleeve. He needed it more than she did. She had slept through colder nights alone without the kefta wrapped around her.

"This is my kefta. It should keep you warm. Do you know where we are?" Liliya asked. Daish shook his head and pulled the kefta tighter around himself. His fingers clutching to the soft, warm fabric. It was covered in blood and dirt and various other marks but it was warm. That was all she needed it to be, warm.

"We are near the Shu Han border. Ile said we would be home soon." Daish explained. Liliya let out a long breath, rubbing her face with her hands. That was dangerous. It put her one step closer to being dissected. One step closer to the death.

"Ile? Who is Ile? He is one of the assassins?" Liliya asked. Daish shook his head and then lifted his gaze, noticing a figure in the doorway. Liliya glanced back and was met with Isaak. His broad figure filling the door.

"My father told me you would protect me," The boy said, his voice trembling in fear. She quickly realised that he was talking to Isaak. None of this seemed to make sense. Least of all that Isaak had gained the trust of the Shu. Had he given himself a Shu name? A new identity? He certainly didn't look Shu.

"Your father is a liar, Daish. You have caused us so many issues." Isaak said as he watched the pair. Liliya's teeth gritting as she shuffled closer to the boy. Ready to protect him if she needed to, she was weak but she still had her abilities. She could give them a minute to get away.

"Don't hurt him. The only issues he has caused were because of General Kirigan and me. If you want to harm anyone, it's me," Liliya said as she looked up at her father. His forest green eyes moved from the boy's innocent chubby face to the redhead. Surveying her, trying to work her out before he simply shook his head.

"You have no leverage, malysh. I thought I taught you better," He responded as he met her gaze. Liliya scoffed and then used the wall to push herself up. The cold air was biting at her bare arms and her leg ached more than ever. She was dirty and the blood was sticking to her face. She knew she looked a mess.

"You didn't teach me anything. You abandoned me," She said through gritted teeth. Isaak narrowed his eyes and shook his head. He then dropped a sack in front of Liliya's feet and stepped back.

"We will be walking the rest of the way to Shu Han. Bandage up your leg and rest. We leave at sunrise," Isaak said before he left the room. Liliya glared at the back of his head as he walked away but then collapsed back to the floor. Snatching the satchel, she then opened it and pulled out the supplies. It was slow but quick work. The wound was infected and she had to get Daish to held her. His small hands worked nimbly as they dabbed her wounds. Covering them in various disinfectants. He was helpful and kind. The two warming up to each other.

Then Liliya grabbed the bandages. The wound was healing. Not as well as it should be or as well as it would have been had she been at the Little Palace but it was healing. The bandage would just prevent any further harm after everything that had happened with Ivan. It was neccessary and the Shu assassins had no bounds for their cruelty.

"You need this coat more than I do," Daish said as he pulled the kefta off. He seemed to have warmed up significantly based on the redness in his cheeks. Liliya hadn't been entirely affected by the cold but now that she had treated her wound, she was realising how exhausted and cold she really was. Liliya shook her head.

"I cannot take it. We need to keep you alive," She said simply. Daish frowned before he stared down at the kefta. He didn't know what to do. It ended up with the two of them sharing it. Liliya let Daish sit in her lap. Holding him close as she told him stories in Shu. They needed to sleep, Daish looked exhausted and she knew he was terrified even if he hid it. Sleep would be a reprieve so with the kefta wrapped around both of them, keeping the cold from their skins, they fell into sleep. Liliya knew that she would have to get them out the next day. Just escaping the Shu would be harder than she would have first thought. Especially now that Isaak was alive.

***

author's note! first things first malysh means 'kid' usually used as a russian term towards their kids (from what google told me). also, this juust, it happened, i didn't expect it BUT IT WORKS, IT MAKES SENSE AND IM EXXCITED, next chapter is gonna be a WILD RIDE and IM LITERALLY TWO CHAPTERS FROM THE END OF THE FIRST ACT, nope i cannot handle this, i didn't realise and i- yeah... so we're gonna be jumping into shadow and bone pretty quick, the next two chapters will be... something and then we're in the show and it's gonna be so fun, there may be a slight break between the last chapter of this act and the first of the second one cause planning things etc but we should be fine, anyway, i hope you enjoyed this chapter! i love y'all sm! (thank you for 53k reads?? that is?? insane?? like?? i?? what??)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.9K 2.4K 29
Katya turns out to be a Fire Summoner with unusual power. General Kirigan gives her private lessons and she loves his shadows - especially when they...
1.9K 194 6
Luca Kirigan hadn't realised how much of a monster his father was until he was facing down Novokribirsk with chains around his arms. With the city wi...
453K 21K 25
They called her magiya razuma. Mindbender. The Darkling took her in as his own as she tried to maneuver her telepathic powers and fought in a war tea...
38.2K 860 33
Arabella Oretsev was tested at the age of 8, and has been proclaimed a Tidemaker, and also has a weak secondary power: a Healer. She now lives in the...