TORTURED SOUL, general kiriga...

By -tothelakes

COMPLETED, liliya was an inferni and one of general kirigan's closest advisors. she was not the conventional... More

TORTURED SOUL
GRAPHICS
ACT ONE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
ACT TWO
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

7.1K 280 309
By -tothelakes

CHAPTER FIVE

After her morning training with Botkin, Liliya felt sore. The fresh injuries littered her face and arm and rather than allowing herself to suffer, she decided to go to the Healer right away. It would prevent anyone from complaining so it was quickly done. Then she was off to the library, strolling through the aisles in search of a book that took her interest.

However, she was sure that she had read almost every book in the library. By the time she reached the third aisle, she hadn't found a book that she hadn't read. A soft huff escaping her lips as she turned on her feet. Kneeling down to check over the lower shelves. Her fingers skimming across the spines as she clicked her tongue.

Finding nothing, she fell onto her arse. Another huff escaping her lips as she leant back on her elbows. Her head falling back. It was pointless trying to search because she knew she would find nothing. So, she placed her hands against the wood floor and hauled herself to her feet. Her arms stretched up over her head and she yawned before letting them drop.

Her feet carried her through the library and back out the door. A few Grisha were milling down the corridor and she spotted Kirigan conversing with someone a few steps from her. So, rather than approaching, she turned and headed in the opposite direction. She just hoped that somebody would have some use for her

"There you are," Arina said as she jogged up to the redhead. Liliya was glad to have some company, a smile spreading across her face.

"Hey. You look better," Liliya said as Arina turned them down a corridor. They were heading away from the library out of the Little Palace again. Liliya didn't know what Arina was planning but it was never going to be good.

"Why is the General so irritated?" Arina asked as she dragged Liliya down the set of steps. Her eyes dragging across the grounds before the two began to walk around the back of the building.

"I assume his trackers are not doing the job they are supposed to," Liliya said, a hint of spite in her tone. Arina picked up on it and cocked an eyebrow to which Liliya shrugged, "He refused to send me to help even though it's my fault the boy escaped," She attempted to explain. Arina nodded, her hands resting at her sides.

"The Shu boy?" Arina asked and Liliya nodded, "He's only a boy. How did he even escape you?" The curiosity laced Arina's tone. It wasn't supposed to be a jab or cruel but it felt like that. Liliya had failed both herself and General Kirigan. She had let him down and now she was paying the price. Not that she believed the boy to be of importance anyway. It seemed entirely illogical. The Shu disliked the Grisha just as the Fjerdans did.

"It doesn't matter," Liliya brushed off but then Arina grabbed her arm, looking into her eyes. The contest had started and as always, Liliya lost. She turned her head and began to walk again, Arina quickly guiding them again, "I did not return the first time," Liliya began and Arina couldn't help but make a comment.

"Kirigan must have loved that," She muttered, "Or maybe you convinced him it was the right thing to do," She added with a wink. Liliya scoffed and waved Arina off, continuing with the story.

"He sent me back to get the boy. Ivan went with me. It didn't go to plan. There were more people and I was attacked. Ivan barely got me out, I nearly had a stake drove through my heart. We got the boy but I wasn't wearing my kefta properly. It hurt to breath in and my ribs were cracked. We arrived at the Little Palace and then he plunged a dagger into my stomach. The bastard escaped while Ivan took me inside," Liliya explained. Arina nodded, glancing around the area before dragging Liliya to a door. A familiar door. The kitchens. Liliya's eyes widened.

"I'm sick of that herring and I know that the head chef keeps a stash of scones, cream and jam," Arina smiled but Liliya shook her head.

"I'm not stealing some scones just because you can't handle the food. Genya won't be able to sneak me pastries if someone finds me," Liliya responded. Arina tilted her head slightly, the disappointed look spreading across her face, "No," She reaffirmed. Arina scoffed and then took a step up.

"Fine but I'm going. Act as lookout," Arina waved the redhead off. Liliya huffed and then took her place on the steps. It felt ridiculous to be stealing food like schoolchildren. They were Grisha and powerful at that. They didn't need to steal yet Arina loved the thrill of it.

Oh Saints, were the words that rang through Liliya's head when she spotted the familiar black-clad figure a few metres away. He seemed to just be wondering around. It was something that Liliya didn't think he did often but with the stress from the Shu boy, it was understandable. He probably needed a break. She just hoped he didn't spot her. Would Kirigan disapprove of Arina's stealing? Would he punish them for this? It was a petty act and not one that should be done by some of the most powerful in the Second Army.

"Are you not assisting Botkin?" The smooth voice of General Kirigan startled her. She had tried to avoid looking at him, praying that made her invisible. It didn't. Hiding in plain sight was a speciality of the Suli and she was not a Suli.

"I finished an hour ago," Liliya said quickly, moving to stand up. Her hands resting at her side, trying not to show her discomfort with the situation. If Arina walked out at the wrong time, they were both in trouble. Trouble that Liliya didn't need to be in. Kirigan already found it difficult to trust her, knowing she was a thief would only make it worse.

"I wanted to speak with you. Would you walk with me?" He asked and she nodded. The farther they got from the kitchens, the better. She was sure that Kirigan would not approve of any of this. It would save both of them. Arina would have to thank her later.

"Of course," Liliya said as they began to walk. The path led them further and further from the kitchen. The silence between them was deafening but Liliya didn't know what to say. She was unsure what he even wanted to speak to her about. So the silence stayed until he looked down at her.

"The trackers have failed to locate the boy. They would like your assistance but you are not leaving Os Alta. I would like you to come to the war room. I will send a servant to collect you," He said, watching Liliya's face. Trying to decipher her reaction. It went from optimism to a scowl in a split second. She turned to look at him.

"I could help them. Leaving with them would be a much better idea. I would find the boy within days before he crossed the border," Liliya attempted to argue but when she caught the stern look, she knew that there was no point. A sigh escaping her lips as she pressed her fingers against the fabric of her kefta. She felt entirely useless here.

"Liya," He said, pausing in his steps. This part of the path was enclosed. Hidden in shadows and it meant that they were unlikely to be observed.

"Yes?" She asked as she turned to face him. Her hands relaxing at her sides. She had to keep him on her side. If he decided he did not like her attitude, there was a plethora of things he could choose to punish her for. She did not want him to do that. She had to be... agreeable.

"Do you understand why I am not sending you out?" He asked. She shook her head and he sighed, glancing around them before he stepped closer, "I turn a blind eye to your behaviour because you are talented. However, this Shu boy poses a danger to your life and I have worked hard to keep you alive. So the longer you continue to act foolishly, the longer you will stay here," He explained. It took Liliya a moment to take it in, the conversation with Ivan coming back to her. Kirigan cared for her and she wasn't sure whether she was happy that her darkest desires had come true.

"Am I merely a means to an end for you, General?" Liliya asked, the curiosity laced her tone before she continued, "You taught me my abilities, why keep me alive when you could teach someone else as you did me? Are you hiding something from me?" Kirigan smiled at her words. It was subtle, small, but the amusement was evident in the crinkle at the corners of his eyes.

"You are a unique Inferni, Liya. Your abilities are the strongest I've seen in my lifetime. It is rare for someone to have such control," He responded. The compliment took Liliya back and she furrowed her eyebrows. Wanting nothing more than to wave it off, laugh, pretend that he was joking but Kirigan did not joke often.

"I..." Liliya didn't know how to respond, grasping for some question. Something to prevent the silence. It would be even more intolerable, "Why did you never tell me?" She decided, her words rushed and unsure.

"You did not need to be treated any differently. That has changed," He said. Liliya nodded and found herself unable to think of anything else to say. Her hands resting against her kefta, her head bowed as she attempted to calm her mind. She felt dizzy and then her head shot up, Arina was likely looking for her.

But before she could say a word, she felt Kirigan's hand on her cheek. His gaze flicked across her face and watched as her cheeks flushed a light pink. She swallowed thickly as she looked into his dark brown, almost black eyes. Her mouth slightly open, words dying on her tongue. He smirked at her reaction and before she knew it, his lips were against her.

The kiss was soft and fleeting, Liliya barely had time to respond and kiss back before he had stepped away. He reminded her that he would send a servant and was gone before she could even come back to her senses. Her jaw dropped, her eyes wide and her fingers gently pressing against her lips. The lingering feel of his lips against hers.

"Why are you down here? I wasn't that long!" Arina called. She sounded irritated, her hair was messy and out of place but she had a bag at her side. The black-haired girl had pulled Liliya out of her daze, she cleared her throat and smiled.

"Sorry. I thought I saw something. Did you get caught?" Liliya asked as she walked over. Arina shook her head, a knowing smirk spreading across her face. Arina loved to gloat and this would just be another thing to add onto her list.

"I told you you didn't need to worry. I know better than to let the chefs find me," Arina shrugged as she swung the bag by her side. There seemed to be an added confidence to her step and it made Liliya roll her eyes. It was ridiculous, "Now, I'm going back to my room to eat these. Feel free to join me," Arina added as she reached one of the backdoors of the Little Palace. She opened it and stepped inside. Liliya glancing around, debating whether to find Kirigan or Genya to talk. She didn't understand what had just happened.

"I..." Liliya went to refuse but she saw the slight tilt of Arina's head. The slightly raised eyebrow and the frown on her lips portrayed her suspicion perfectly. Liliya couldn't have her be suspicious so instead she smiled widely and nodded, "I have nothing else to do," She shrugged. The two women then headed back to Arina's room.

***

The War Room was relatively quiet when Liliya slipped inside. She had switched out of her kefta, opting for something more casual. After the note was given to her at lunchtime, she had gone training with Arina before taking a long bath. Her time relaxing had overrun slightly and she had to rush to get ready.

That led to her now stumbling inside with half-wet half-dry hair. She had used her abilities to try and dry it but when she realised how close she was cutting it so just gave up. She just hoped that Kirigan wasn't here or if he was, he hadn't seen her. She looked a mess. Her blouse was crooked and her hair's parting was messy.

"You're late," One of the trackers said. His voice came from behind her and she turned back to see that it was merely Roma. His long black-hair was as messy as usual and his lips were pressed into a thin line.

"I got caught up," Liliya defended as she fiddled with the parting of her hair, fixing it quickly. She then straightened up her blouse and cleared her throat, sending him a smile, "I'm here now, just tell me what you need me to do," Liliya ordered quickly, waving her hand towards the table. Roma then moved past and leant over the map of Ravka and the Shu Han border.

"Caught up, that's a new one," Tomas snorted. He was leaning over the table too and was looking to Lev, a blonde-haired Inferni. They were all in fact Inferni and she had spent much of her time around them.

"Maybe Ivan finally got his shot," Lev responded, his smile widening. Liliya then glanced over at the lantern that was behind his head. She could manipulate the fire and singe his hair off, then maybe he'd shut up, "Or I've heard she's been tumbling with Genya," Lev added, he was attempting to be subtle but was looking right at Liliya. The redhead narrowed her eyes before waving her hand underneath the table. The lantern behind his head quickly burst into flames. The flames licked at the edge of his hair and the sqwark that left his lips made her snort. The blonde rushing to grab a cloth to cover the fire and prevent the flames spreading.

It was then that General Kirigan decided to make his entrance. Liliya covering the bottom half of her face with her hand to hide her smile while Lev desperately tried to use the cloth to smother the flames. It was surprisingly working but Kirigan didn't seem nearly as amused. He glanced at Lev and then to Liliya. Then with a wave of his hand the shadows had put out the fire and Lev stood up straight.

Everyone was red-faced though Liliya had much more of a reason to be. Her gaze sticking to the floor as she let her hand drop. Pushing the amused look of her face.

"Have you started the discussion on where to find the boy?" Kirigan asked as he stood in front of the table. His gaze flicking along the map before he looked around at the other four people in the room. His gaze lingering of Liliya as she adjusted her blouse again, suddenly feeling insecure.

"No, we were waiting for Li. She was a little late," Roma said as he walked past Liliya to grab a few markers from the side of the table. He then placed a few down. One in Poliznaya, one in Careyeya and two more between those two markers.

"We believe that the child is heading to Caryeva and will cross the mountains to Shu Han from there," Roma explained, gesturing across the map, "We have managed to track him to a small town at least twenty miles outside of Caryeva. The rest of the unit are staying in a camp a few villages over and are listening for any intel. The locals are not friendly but they are tolerating us. If we leave by nightfall, we could be back to them within the week," Roma explained as he continued to gesture to the various markers on the map. He then drew back and looked to Liliya. The redhead engrossed in the map, the cogs turning in her head, "But we need to try and work out where he is going. What his plan is. So, Liliya, care to share your thoughts?" He asked. Liliya nodded and then she grabbed a few more markers. These were marked blue and she played with them in her hand, biting the inside of her cheek.

"If he's smart, he'll try and divert your attention. If he's twenty miles outside of Caryeva that means he's within distance of Keramzin. That's one potential place he could hit," Liliya said as she placed the marker down, "It's a place full of orphan children and some of them look Shu, he could blend in there easily. Lay low, get food and water, prepare for the journey ahead and then double back on himself," Liliya continued to explain, running her finger along the map to show the path that he could take from Keramzin back to the border.

"How would the boy even be smart enough to think like that? He's Shu, he doesn't know Ravka," Lev argued as he leant forward on the table. His blonde hair had fallen in front of his eyes but was quick to brush it away.

"The boy knows more than he is letting on. Whoever he is, his village knew that we were coming and they equipped him. The dagger that he was carrying had the crest of a Shu noble family. He's smart, educated. He knows what he is doing," Liliya argued before she adjusted the blue marker on the map. She then grabbed another one and placed it on top of Caryeva, "But considering he is a child, he might just be trying to take the easiest route home. That means he would go to Caryeva. Get supplies and then head to the mountains. There should be First Army stationed along that part of the border, however, so it would be difficult to cross," Liliya said as she tapped along the mountains. She then grabbed the last blue marker from her palm and placed it on Sikursk.

"Li, the boy going to Sikursk would be a waste. He is already close to Caryeva," Tomas argued but Liliya shook her head. She pushed herself to stand back up again and glanced around at the men. Kirigan was stood up, watching with interest but looking as composed as usual. The other men were leaning over the table looking over the map.

"And who is usually in Caryeva during this time of year? Prince Vasily. It would be illogical to put yourself in the middle of a city swarming with Royal guards. The boy may simply be trying to throw you off his trail. He would likely double-back on the villages you've already visited because you'd have no reason to go back and find any intel on them. He could move silently to Sikursk, get supplies from the city. Blend in and then cross the mountains before anyone even knew that he was there," Liliya finished as she stepped back. Roma's lips were pressed into a line again before he sighed. He stood up and thought for a moment, tapping the table.

"Is there any other place that he could go?" Roma asked. Liliya nodded.

"He could go anywhere. There are villages all over Ravka but there are spots he would avoid. Not many border villages are friendly to the Shu Han after the raids so I can imagine he'd want to stick to the bigger cities and towns where he can easily blend into a crowd," Liliya explained, gesturing to a cluster of villages towards the mountain border.

"This would be easier if she came with us," Lev commented as he moved to stand up. Liliya nodded in agreement as she skirted back around the men. Roma looking over the map with a thoughtful expression, he had a lot to think about.

"Liliya will be staying at the Little Palace until I say otherwise," Kirigan said. It was only the second time he'd spoken this whole meeting but nobody questioned him. Liliya stared down at her feet again before she cleared her throat and looked up, smiling.

"If you need any more assistance, send me a message. I will try and help in any way I can from here," Liliya said as she walked over to Roma, glancing over at the map. He had began to move the markers. It was working something out but Liliya did not want to see what. Instead, she fiddled with the sleeves of her blouse and went towards the door.

"One moment," Kirigan interrupted before she could reach the door. Liliya lifted her head and turned to look at him, looking into those nearly black eyes. It was impossible for him not to make her weak at the knees. Even a single look could bring her to her knees, not that she showed it. She could not be weak, "Whatever quarrels you have among yourselves will not interrupt any more meetings," He stated. There was no room to argue so Liliya simply nodded.

"Of course," Liliya said before she opened the door and left. Escaping his burning gaze and her thumping heart. Once the door was closed behind her, she felt herself relax. Her hands unfurling and she let out a soft breath. Footsteps against the floor made Liliya's head lift and Genya stood there, a smile on her lips.

"I was hoping to catch you," Genya said. Liliya smiled back and walked over to the redhead, glad to have some company, "I wanted to ask you something but in private, let's go to your room," Genya smiled as the two began to walk. Liliya wasn't sure what Genya wanted but didn't see a point in arguing. Whatever she wanted, she would get and it would provide a distraction. Liliya couldn't continue to think about Kirigan and that kiss. It was unhealthy.

***

author's note! what's this? ANOTHER CHAPTER? yeah, i'm a simp so like this is GETTING WRITTEN, tho college is also trying to suffocate me so i have no idea what's gonna happen with my writing considering i have exams coming up in june (im an overachiever so want to study early) but yeah, idk what's happening to this but imma keep updating cause i adore this story and i adore what's gonna happen and the support since friday has been CRAZY, like we hit 2k?? like excuse me?? thank you all SO MUCH!! i love all of y'all sm, i'm glad to not be alone with my simping of kirigan haha, ANYWAY, i hope y'all enjoyed and thank you SO MUCH for reading!!!! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.7K 2.5K 19
"She is all I have." "Not anymore." - Anastasia Starkov has known nothing other than her sister and her best friend. When Alina gets ta...
281K 12.3K 35
The Darkling 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘎𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘦 Kirigan loves to manipulate people for his own selfish reasons, more than fear he most likes to use seduct...
70.6K 3.1K 23
𝒊 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕! kaz brekker x fem!oc grishaverse series #1 in ninazenik #1 in genyasafin #2 in thegrish...
2K 194 6
Luca Kirigan hadn't realised how much of a monster his father was until he was facing down Novokribirsk with chains around his arms. With the city wi...