TORTURED SOUL, general kiriga...

By -tothelakes

COMPLETED, liliya was an inferni and one of general kirigan's closest advisors. she was not the conventional... More

TORTURED SOUL
GRAPHICS
ACT ONE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
ACT TWO
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHAPTER TWO

11.1K 380 375
By -tothelakes

CHAPTER TWO.

      The journey across to Shu Han was exhausting. It wasn't as bad as the first time and with Ivan, it was a little more tolerable. He was as serious as ever and barely responded but his company was better than nothing. He knew where they stood and he made no attempt to try and be better than her. They knew their place with each other and it made sleeping, eating and generally being around him much better.

     When they arrived, he also provided some use. He wasn't able to heal her or prevent much damage but his abilities were feared and were effective. Much more than her own which the village knew of and were cautious of after their last encounter. She still came out just as wounded as before but at least now they had the boy under their wing.

     Ivan had managed to catch him after some quick thinking and with the use of his abilities, slowing the boy's heart rate until he fell unconscious. Liliya didn't agree with his course of action but she quickly realised, she didn't have much of a say in how the boy was treated. Not when Ivan was around, he was under strict orders from General Kirigan and he would not so easily break them.

     But after a day or so of travelling, the boy awoke and Ivan was half-asleep against the side of the carriage. He had not slept well and Liliya was suddenly glad that he was not conscious enough to put the boy back to sleep. He looked so innocently sleeping soundly by her side so when she noticed him, she turned her body to face him.

     Her hands resting on her lap as his eyes blinked open. He lifted his head and looked around, seeing Ivan and then her. His face turning into a deep frown as he shuffled away from her. His feet kicking out as he pushed himself into the corner. Liliya smiled softly at him.

     "We won't hurt you," She said softly in Shu. It had been her chosen language when she studied at the academy. She just hoped the familiarity of his language would calm him down. He seemed to relax but not entirely, looking at her, "My name is Liliya. That is Ivan. Neither of us want to hurt you. Would you tell me your name? " She continued. Keeping her tone soft and quiet as she moved a little closer. He tensed up again and shook his head.

     Liliya softly bit her bottom lip as she glanced around the area, hoping to find something that would calm him down. Two bloody and bruised strangers had kidnapped him and knocked him unconscious. She wasn't surprised that he was scared and then she reached into her bag, realising she had snatched up one of his toys when nobody was looking.

     "I found this. I believe it belongs to you," She said as she offered out the stuffed toy to him. His fingers were cautious but once he had a firm hold, he snatched the toy away. Holding it tight to his chest as he looked up at her. She smiled softly and then shuffled back, giving him space, "We are taking you to Os Alta. We won't let you get hurt. We will be there soon," Liliya hoped her words were soothing. She was never good at being motherly even if she wished she was. Having children had always been something she dreamed of but that seemed unlikely so she let that dream go. Instead making sure to protect the children she came across.

     "Don't make friends with the child, Li," Ivan said. His words were quiet and his voice sounded hoarse as he blinked his eyes open. Staring at the child and then back to the redhead who scowled in response, "General Kirigan does not take innocent children captive," He added in an attempt to reassure her. Frankly, it didn't.

     "If the child wasn't innocent, he should have told me what he did. I would have been more than happy to complete this mission the first time around," Liliya snapped back before she looked back to the boy. His gaze flicking between the two adults. It was almost like he understood them but Liliya highly doubted that. He was from Shu Han, a small village from what she had seen. She doubted that they learnt Ravkan.

     "You should have listened without needing an explanation," Ivan muttered in response. Liliya rolled her eyes at him before she turned back to the boy. Letting a small smile grace her lips in an attempt to comfort him. The conversation ebbed away after a few more minutes and the silence filled the carriage.

     The boy didn't open up the whole journey home. He managed a few 'yes' and no's when they offered him certain things and asked if he was tired but besides that, Liliya hadn't managed to get much. She gleaned a little about his personal life but nothing that would explain why the General was after him. He was just a young boy and it was getting harder and harder for Liliya to wrap her head around any of the General's orders or words.

     "We will be at Os Alta within the hour," Ivan said as he climbed back into the carriage. They had stopped briefly but now they were back on track. The carriage moving and the boy hide his face behind his toy at the words. Liliya frowned and pushed her fingers through her hair. The wounds that covered her skin were still noticeable, annoying and the scabs were itchy.

     The scab on her arm had been picked a few times already despite Ivan's constant reminders for her to stop. Liliya didn't, she couldn't help herself but she had managed to resist the temptation. The second they were home, she would probably be sent to the Healers. General Kirigan liked to keep her in working order and that was not how she was currently. She had a feeling that the side of her ribcage was bruised but the pain from that had subsided a day or so ago.

     The boy watched out the window, his face morphing into one of awe as Os Alta came into view. The carriage took them through the town and towards the castles. The shock and excitement on the boy's face made Liliya grin and Ivan scowl. He still did not approve of how she was acting around the boy. He didn't trust the boy no matter how ridiculous that sounded.

     When the carriage came to a stop, Liliya was grateful. Ivan stepped out first, holding the door open as Liliya limped out. Her hand pressed against the makeshift bandage on her side. Her kefta hanging lose on her shoulders before she turned around. The boy still had the toy held against his chest as he stepped down, Ivan assisting him despite his disapproval.

     "Welcome to the Little Palace," Liliya said as she looked down at him. He smiled up at her and she heard the carriage door close. Ivan gesturing for them to leave. He then turned to Liliya and grabbed her arm, pulling her to one side but keeping the boy in eyesight.

     "Wait here with him. I will notify General Kirigan of our return," Ivan said, eyeing the boy suspiciously before he focused solely on Liliya. A frown on her lips as she met his gaze. He looked suspicious and it made Liliya shake her head.

     "Okay. I will wait here," Liliya nodded her head. Ivan didn't bother to respond and instead turned away, heading inside the Little Palace. She wasn't sure what Kirigan had planned for the boy but she hoped it was nothing unkind. He seemed so innocent and caring and young, so young. It was almost scary that she had even gone after him.

     Liliya walked back over and moved to kneel down to be on eye level with him. A smile on her lips as she looked into his eyes, "Are you okay? " She asked, using Shu again. He nodded his head and before she could even see the glint of the metal, the dagger had been plunged into her abdomen. The fact that her kefta was open meant that she was no longer protected and it went straight into the soft skin of her stomach.

     A soft cry escaped her lips as she stared up at him. A neutral expression on the child's face as he twisted the dagger in her. He stepped back and Liliya fell forward. Her hand gripping the cobbles beneath her fingers as she cried out, her body collapsing under the pain. Falling onto her side. The pain was more overwhelming than anything she felt and her hands moved to try and pressure the wound. The sticky warm blood spreading across her fingertips as she pushed down onto it harder but it didn't do anything.

     The child then moved forward and grabbed the handle of the dagger, pulling it out of her. He then looked up to see Ivan running down the path from the front gates. That was the last thing Liliya remembered before the haze of voices and words, mumblings and pain. The neverending pain. It felt like it was going to last forever

     The next thing Liliya remembered was waking up in the bed of the infirmary. Her whole body felt healed but the feeling of the blood on her hands lingered. Her eyes blinked open as she moved her head from side-to-side before rolling onto her side. The movements alerted the Healer who turned on her heel and walked over. Liliya spotted her before she had reached the side of the bed so was prepared for whatever lecture was about to occur.

     However, no lecture came and instead, she went into her usual spiel. Liliya getting up and leaving within a few minutes. Her whole body somehow still ached but she had a feeling that because she was just exhausted. It seemed to only have been a few hours later from when she had arrived back in Os Alta.

     That was confirmed by the pastries that were nestled in a package on her dresser. Genya had been here and given her them for breakfast. Suddenly Liliya was incredibly thankful for the girl but when she grabbed the package, she realised just how bloody and dirty her hands were. The blood was even under her nails and she scrunched her nose up. It was time for a bath.

     So, Liliya went straight to the bathroom, hearing the door open at the same time. She let out a huff and turned to see that Genya was at the door. A cautious smile on her lips that turned into a frown when she saw just how awful Liliya looked.

     "You look like a corpse," Genya stated. The redhead chuckled softly and then gestured for the woman to follow after. Genya closed the door behind her and followed Lilya into the bathroom, assisting her with running the bath and helping her out of her kefta, "Ivan looked as terrible as you," Genya commented as Liliya stripped off her underwear.

     She shrugged and then pushed her feet into the bath, getting used to the temperature before plunging the rest of body under the water. It was painful for a moment before it eased off and instead made her tense muscles relax. The lavender oil that Genya had sprinkled in allowing her to relax a little more than usual.

     "Ivan let me get stabbed," Liliya muttered softly. The bitterness clear in her tone without her even really being aware of it. Her hands dipped under the water and she rubbed them together. Watching the blood wash away into the water. It was mildly disgusting but she'd had water that looked worse than this.

     "I guess it's payback for being friends with me," Genya shrugged. Liliya snorted, knowing of the small rivalry between the pair. They had both been seeking Liliya's attention a few years previously and the redhead had been unaware. It left Ivan bitter and Genya victorious, boosting her ego just that little bit more. Liliya still didn't understand it.

     "How could I not pick you? You're so gorgeous," Liliya teased. Genya chuckled softly and then walked over to the sink. She grabbed the soap from the side as well as the sponge before walking back over again.

     "You don't have to flatter me, I know," Genya responded nonchalantly. Liliya smiled a little wider but it made her cheeks ache so she forced herself to hold a neutral expression. Genya then passed the soap and sponge over. Liliya pouted and the girl shrugged before walking into the bedroom. Liliya didn't expect Genya to help her but she'd almost been hoping she did. The soft touch of the girl gave Liliya much more comfort than anything else had.

     It was what she needed. She was sure she would start thinking about what had happened and get angry if she didn't keep herself distracted. So, Liliya tried her best and rubbed the soap onto the sponge, getting a lather before lifting her legs out of the water. She rubbed them down, washing her body as much as she could.

     Genya came back with her kit box and the package of pastries. She tore open the packaging and placed them on the edge of the sink. Liliya stared at them longingly but decided to stay in the bath for a little longer. She washed her hair in those few minutes and Genya began to sort her box out. Deciding what to use and what not to use.

     "General Kirigan wants to speak to you whenever you are ready. He sent me to inform you," Genya said as Liliya stepped out of the bath. A soft huff left the redhead's lips as she grabbed a towel, rubbing her face with it.

     "Of course," She muttered bitterly. Genya turned to look at Liliya, pulling her eyebrows together but Liliya didn't say anything more. She used the towel to rub down her body before she walked out of the tiled room to her bedroom. Her hands moved across the dresser, opening drawers and collecting what she needed before snatching her kefta from the wardrobe.

     "And I don't want you looking like a corpse when you speak to him," Genya said as Liliya walked back into the room. The redhead narrowed her eyes as she pulled her clothes on. Pulling the shirt over her head, her hair was wet but that was easily fixable.

     "Looking like a corpse might have more of an effect on him," Liliya responded before she walked back into the bedroom. The fireplace was set alight across from her bed. Liliya was thankful for whichever servant had done it because with some concentration and mastering of her talents, she was able to manipulate the fire to dry her hair in a matter of seconds. It was a useless use of her Grisha abilities but it did her no harm and it meant her head didn't get cold so quickly during the Ravkan mornings in winter.

     "Do you want to have an effect on him?" Genya asked as she watched Liliya walk back in, quirking an eyebrow. The redhead shook her head and stood in front of Genya. The two were thankfully the same height so it made this easier.

     "If I wanted to do that, I would bend to his every whim like Zoya," Liliya muttered. Genya smirked and lifted her hands up, brushing her fingertips across Liliya's skin. The familiar prickling feeling spreading across her face, the few blemishes and outbreaks that had occured while she was journeying disappeared. With a brush of Genya's thumbs under Liliya's blue eyes, the dark circles from lack of sleep vanished. Genya then reached out for the pink petal but Liliya grabbed her wrist and gave her a look.

     "I want to make you look pretty," The girl pouted. Liliya rolled her eyes and shook her head.

     "It would be pointless. I look perfect like this. Plus, I'm never going to look as pretty as you so what's the point?" Liliya said as she moved her hand to rest against Genya's cheek. Looking into her eyes and smiling a little wider. Genya rolled her eyes, slapping her hand away. She turned around fully and stared down at the various jars.

     "I want to make you feel beautiful. I can tell you're exhausted," Genya muttered as she tapped her fingers against the glass of the jars. Liliya stepped closer and wrapped her arms around the girl's waist, resting her head against the crook of her neck.

     "I know. I'll let you do my hair. Washing it in that water did me no favours," Liliya mumbled softly. Genya grinned and turned around, looking at her. She then grabbed the comb and the jar of gold leaves, sprinkling them onto Liliya's scalp. Then Genya began to use the comb to push them through her hair, Liliya's hair turning from frizzy and dry to sleek, shiny and straight in seconds.

     By the time Genya was done, she had managed to convince Liliya to allow her to use the petals to make her cheeks a little brighter. And by the time Genya was leaving, Liliya looked fit to be presented to the King. It was ridiculous really but Genya had fun so Liliya let her do what she wanted. But now Liliya was alone with the pastries and a frown on her face.

     Once she had eaten, she was going to go and speak to Kirigan but she found herself without the energy. She might not look like a corpse anymore but she still felt like one. The feeling of being stabbed, the knife twisting in her abdomen was lingering and the more she thought about it, the more frustration she became.

     The words he had said before she left lingering in the back of her mind. Let's hope the boy doesn't get to you first. He knew that the boy was likely to attack and hurt her but he still sent her. He wanted her to get harmed. Maybe he was trying to teach her a lesson. She had no idea but the more she thought about it, the more frustrated she became and by the time she had finished her pastries, her blood was boiling.

     Kirigan had sent her out knowing that she would be harm but he found no problem with it. Suddenly the idea of going to see him sounded appealing, if he was willing to allow her to get harmed, what else would he do and what was this child. The thoughts were spiralling and with every second, she grew more frustrated. She needed answers and Kirigan was the only way she would be getting any of them.

     Her boots clashed against the wooden floor as she walked down the stairs, heading towards the doors. There wasn't any Grisha around in the dining hall and she was thankful. Her air of elegance had dropped and her mind was too clouded to try and pretend. She just went straight for him, walking through the door and shoving the door to his office opening without knocking.

     Ivan was - thankfully - the only one in the office and Kirigan's head lifted as the door opened. Her glare meeting his calm gaze, a smile gracing his lips. He gestured for her to sit and she walked across, sitting down. Ivan glanced over at her, noting the difference on her features. His look was questioning but she didn't even acknowledge him.

     "The boy could not have gotten far. Ensure that everyone is looking for him. He is important. Report to me if you hear any news," Kirigan said. His hands resting comfortably against the desk, his arms crossed at the wrist. Ivan nodded and then pushed himself to stand up. Genya was right. Liliya caught a glimpse of him in the firelight and he looked like a corpse.

     "So you lost the boy after he stabbed one of your highest ranking officers?" Liliya asked, cocking an eyebrow as she crossed her arms over her chest. A scowl on her lips still. Ivan left the office silently and Kirigan just watched her, looking into her eyes. His gaze was intimidating but she didn't back down.

     "The boy is dangerous. I expect you understand that now," Kirigan expertly avoided the question. Liliya scowled more and dug her nails into her palm before she rested her hands against the blue of her kefta.

     "I do and I would have been aware if you had told me what we were dealing with but instead you sent me there blindly, twice. Did you want to teach me a lesson or get me killed?" Liliya asked, her voice wasn't loud but the anger laced her tone. It would soon turn to her shouting if he continued to act as he did.

     "You were successful this time. The blame for his escape is solely on Ivan. I was not surprised by the child's violence and Ivan leaving you alone was his mistake. I have spoken to him about this matter already," Kirigan said, his words calm and composed. No hint of emotion as her eyes narrowed. Her nails digging more into her palms. He was already exhausting and they had barely exchange anything.

     "We nearly got caught by the Shu Han again yet you blame Ivan. It was not Ivan who sent us across that border and nearly got us killed!" Liliya said as she pushed herself to lean forward. Her limbs still ached with every movement but she tried her best to ignore it. Her voice getting louder as she stared at him. Kirigan shook his head softly.

     "You were both aware of the risks when you crossed," He responded. Liliya pushed herself to stand up and slammed her hand against his desk as she stared down at him. Her hand tingling from the impact.

     "I was not given a choice on whether to cross the second time!" Liliya shouted. Kirigan then stood up, his movements quick and jarring as he loomed over her. She stepped back, her hand still numb from the impact, meeting his gaze. Her heart clenching in fear of what he would do to her.

     "You made a mistake, Liliya and we had to fix that mistake. It has now been fixed and we are all still alive," Kirigan responded simply. He was still calm and he walked over to her side of the desk. She turned her body to face his as she looked up at him. Her blood was still boiling but the intimidation was setting in. She hated how tall her was.

     "I was the one that was nearly killed. You do not care about what happened to me," Liliya responded as she looked up at him. He watched her face for a moment, letting her feel scrutinised. Shifting from one foot to the other before she met his gaze once again.

     "Did you expect me to?" He asked. The question throwing Liliya off-guard. There was a part of her that did expect him to care. He had shown particular interest in her since she joined his side. She was one of the few people that he allowed to talk down to him or correct him. She was one of the few that could be defiant and not face severe consequences. But the bigger part of her knew him, knew what kind of person he was. He did not often care for people, if at all.

     "I expected you to not allow one of your best Grishas to be attacked by a lowly Shu Han boy," Liliya said. Her hands resting at her sides as she watched him, scrutinising him now. He seemed almost surprised by her words but he found himself smiling. That was the girl he knew.

     "I do not control the actions of the boy, Liya," He responded. The nickname slipping from his tongue so easily. It brought some relief and Liliya's shoulders relaxed as she stepped back. Her hands unfurling at her sides.

     "I know you don't but you should have warned us both. Then I would not have spent my morning in the infirmary when I could have been tracking that boy for you," She said, her annoyance was still lacing her tone but it had toned down significantly. A silent warning from the man above her to do so. He nodded and pushed some hair out of her face, admiring Genya's handiwork before he turned away and sat back down on his desk.

     "You will not be tracking him. I'm sure you would like some days at the Little Palace to rest?" He stated, framing it as a question but she knew there was no choice in this. He was choosing for her to stay at the Little Palace and she just allowed it.

     "Of course," She verbalised before she moved to sit down in the chair. A few days of relaxing and studying felt like a wonderful change. Her limbs ached, the signs of exhaustion were becoming evident in her appearance, she definitely needed a short break.

     "Three days. A meeting will be arranged where we will discuss the boy. Make use of these few days," Kirigan said. His words were dismissive so Liliya stood up. She straightened up her blue kefta before turning on her feet and heading out of the room. He opened his mouth as if to say something but closed it, Liliya not noticing and walking without another thought crossing her mind.

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE; the second chapter in like a little over 12 hours since i published the last, le gasp, yeah i don't even know what i'm doing anymore honest to god but here's another chapter, this chapter is like 3 scenes just smashed into one continous scene so yeah... i hope that's fine? idk, i lowkey don't even know if im writing my characterisation of genya, the darkling/kirigan and ivan right but i'm just going with it, please feel free to critique the characterisations cause I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING and definitely need some help but we move. getting into more of the character relationships in this one, the plot is really moving ngl but i hope y'all don't mind too much. thank you for reading! i hope y'all enjoyed <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 303 17
Lilian Safin was the secret that nobody had known about except for general Kirigan. Isolated from everyone including her own sister doing everything...
29.8K 936 36
(𝐊𝐀𝐙 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐊𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐗 𝐅. 𝐎𝐂) ❝︎Why didn't he see it coming?❞︎ BORN A PRISONER, TURNED INTO one of the best sol...
66.7K 1.7K 20
What would happen if Alina Starkov had a sister. Would they fight over Mal? Would she also be a Grisha? Would she fall for the General? This is ju...
3.3K 136 14
❝ any emotions will be buried like a body ❞ in which, marissa morozova was used to lying in order to survive, but now she has to hide the truth ab...