Lovers in 1978 | VKOOK HISTOR...

By liamkosmos

Set in the year 1978, 19-year-old Jeon Jeongguk, who is in the midst of forgetting his dream to become a well... More

DISCLAIMER
PROLOGUE: "i was enchanted to meet you"
CHAPTER ONE: "all roads, they lead me here"
CHAPTER TWO: "people throw rocks at things that shine"
CHAPTER THREE: "in a café, i watch it begin again"
CHAPTER FOUR: "what must it be like to grow up that beautiful?"
CHAPTER SIX: "speak now"
CHAPTER SEVEN: "i just wanna be drinking on a beach with you"
CHAPTER EIGHT: "that's the way i loved you"
CHAPTER NINE: "all along there was some invisible string tying you to me"
VISUAL: "Tata Bear"
CHAPTER TEN: "this slope is treacherous, i like it"
CHAPTER ELEVEN: "starry eyes sparkin' up my darkest nights"
CHAPTER TWELVE: "we were something, don't you think so?"
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: "after everything i must confess i need you"
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: "someday, i'll be big enough so you can't hit me"
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: "this love is difficult, but it's real"
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: "in the cracks of light, i dreamed of you"
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: "with you, i'd dance in the storm"
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: "just keep on keeping your eyes on me"
CHAPTER NINETEEN: "wherever you stray, i follow"
CHAPTER TWENTY: "'i love you,' ain't that the worst thing you ever heard?"
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: "i think i've seen this film before"
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: "you weren't mine to lose"
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: "nothing good starts in a getaway car"
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: "magic in the air? it must've been the way you kiss me"
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: "don't want no other shade of blue but you"
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: "what a rainy ending given to a perfect day"
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: "i don't wanna need you this way"
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: "what am i supposed to do if there's no you?"
Author's Note
Cassette Tape | VKOOK FANFICTION

CHAPTER FIVE: "shining just for you"

644 64 29
By liamkosmos

♬ Lean on me
When you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on...
For it won't be long ♬

- "Lean On Me," Bill Withers

21st of March 1978
Kims' Chateau

Those days, hours, minutes, even seconds spent with Jeon Jeongguk were all memorable and the experience he had felt around him was indescribable. It is as if, his tongue couldn't speak any words or language that could justify it. Not just any adjective could elucidate the feeling.

"How's your going out with Mr. Jeon's son?" For a second, Taehyung's mind couldn't digest his father's words that's why he was left staring out of nowhere. When he was accidentally splashed with hot water, it was only then he realized his father was talking to him.

"Will you be more careful!?" Early in the morning, Mr. Kim was enraged by the maid's mistake. The helper kept on bowing and muttering the words 'I'm sorry' over and over again. Taehyung rubbed his hand using the table cloth, believing it will lessen the pain.

"Father, it was alright. I was a bit preoccupied and I didn't notice my hand was placed near the cup," Taehyung said and faced the lady. "I'm so sorry. Please get me another table cloth," Taehyung politely asked the maid and she left with ease. Taehyung now faced his father.

"What are you thinking, anyway? I was talking to you," Mr. Kim said and wiped his mouth using his table cloth. It seemed like he had lost his appetite.

"Oh, nothing. What were you trying to say?" Taehyung asked and then tried diverting his attention by eating the food on his plate.

"I was asking you if you were able to go out well with... What was his name again? Jeong..." Mr. Kim trailed. "Jeongguk," Taehyung continued and then held his spoon and fork atop his plate. He then recalled the events yesterday. The younger boy told him he had fun with him after they watched the afternoon matinee. When they were done packing, they finally went out of the theaters and headed to a restaurant because Jeongguk was hungry. After they ate, Taehyung finally brought the boy home.

"And?" His father questioned and Taehyung took a sip of his coffee and spoke after. "Brilliant." It was a short reply but deep inside, the happiness the boy had brought to him was far beyond that word. Taehyung took his handkerchief from his pocket, wiped his hand, stood up, and then dusted off his pants like they were dirtied or something. He's a bit uncomfortable talking to his father as his actions show. Not to mention his mother wasn't around which is the only person he's calm to be with.

Is it really in the nature of fathers to be this intimidating? Taehyung wondered that for a bit before deciding to speak. "I think I have to go. Or I'll be late for school," Taehyung said and his father just nodded. He went on their sala to get his things and then went to their garage so his driver could drive him to the university he's studying at.

A few moments after Taehyung had left, the maid who accidentally splashed Taehyung with coffee once again went near the dining table to supposedly give Taehyung the table cloth he had requested. When Mr. Kim saw her, he once again looked pissed.

"Albert," he called for his butler. "Please escort this ill-mannered lady, make her pack her things because I hereby decree that she's fired," he said before he stood unbothered and went inside his home office. The butler had no choice to follow his superior's order and then escorted the maid into the maids' room to get her belongings. Of course, the poor lady cried as she was surprised, confused, and saddened because she just got sacked.

━━━

7th of April 1978
Maple University

Taehyung was unaware that today's a very festive occasion because it was the day when the school was founded. He even wore a formal uniform because he thought there'll be classes today. Well, there are but he only needs to enter a few of them. As he hopped off of their family's car, a trio of boys approached him, obviously, the three were expecting him to arrive.

"We were just talking about you," said the grey-haired boy. He had certain features. His face screamed uninterested but his actions say otherwise. People might think he's frowning but actually, that's how he looked like when he's wearing his poker-expressionless face. His gummy smile is the only way you could believe that he's into something.

"You don't speak words that would stab me by my back, do you, Yoongi?" Taehyung smirked and Yoongi laughed. The other two boys followed as they started walking, entering the university's huge gate, and showed their identification cards to the guards. No one will dare to pass through or go over the walls because they're wide and tall. At the very top of them were electric wires that will electrocute you if you attempt to skive your classes. Yup, there is no way to ditch classes because this school is meant to be in order and peaceful.

Student Council always roams around the campus to watch over everyone's actions. The punishments for rule-breaking are severe, so students prefer to behave normally and peacefully, or at least they're trying.

Maple University is known to be a magnificent school for people with great richness. Each room of the said university is air-conditioned, as its purpose is to give comfort to students in a lavish way. The tuition fee is a bit extravagant, but the money is worth it since the professors and staff of the school are professionals, and a lot of them graduated from Harvard, which is the most prestigious university in the world.

"Of course not, Taehyung. We were just talking about how Jimin forgot to say to you yesterday that supposed this is the first day of the celebration of our foundation day," A tall-handsome guy replied, dimples were shown as he spoke. His skin was tan that suited him very well. His English accent was sexy. Someone would fall in love by only listening to his voice. Tall, tan, and handsome is the new standard nowadays. Unlike Yoongi who had flawless skin, whiter than any other woman in the university. Even girls were insecure about him.

"Well, V was busy yesterday because he had company! He has a new friend. He brought him to yesterday's matinee performance. The boy he kept on talking about that he met that day," Jimin reasoned out as he pouted. Taehyung chuckled at him.

"So I have to walk around with these formal clothes on whilst you guys wear casual?" Taehyung asked them. Park Jimin and Min Yoongi both shrugged at him as they entered the room and sat in their respective seats.

"Well that's better than walking around naked, someone might think you're mad," Namjoon jokingly teased as their classmates laughed in unison.

"I'd prefer walking around naked at this moment. Today's weather is hot," Taehyung amusingly replied and they laughed once more. Jimin sat beside his best friend at the back.

"If you still have the respect, you could just use an umbrella whilst you're outside, Mr. Kim. Now everyone, seat properly and keep your things inside your bag. We have a new lesson to tackle." They didn't notice that their professor was already inside their room and overheard the boys' conversation. Everyone remained silent and listened to the discussion. They didn't want to anger their professor anymore which they assume is on period because she's already raged when she stepped in.

"She's very into my idea. She fancies me before she sleeps," Taehyung whispered and his seatmates giggled silently at his words.

━━━

"Of course, I would like to help you! But the timing is wrong, Taehyung. Need to go somewhere after school. Can't tell you, it's my business," Namjoon said as he ate his food placed on their table near the cafeteria's walls. Taehyung made an expression that he thought would convince Namjoon but that didn't even work.

"I supposed, Jiminie could help me," Taehyung turned his head to his best friend. Jimin scratched the back of his head, obviously doesn't know what to respond to Taehyung's request.

"I-uh, V, I have rehearsals today, remember? For our next performance next next week. A new script to memorize too. Don't you?" Jimin said, almost worried about how Taehyung would react to his reply.

"Uh, okay then," Taehyung fell silent after not convincing his friends to help him with his school work. They were given a task to create an essay about the school's upcoming foundation day. Taehyung isn't really into writing kinds of stuff because he's more of an art person than a writing person. If he could paint the words he wanted to say then he will but the task is to express in words.

"Aren't you going to ask me to help you?" asked the other boy at their table.

"No," Taehyung replied bitterly. Yoongi was a bit offended by his answer though.

"That was harsh, V. But don't ask as you should. I could write you a rap verse but not that essay sh*t," Yoongi said and chuckled after that. They continued eating silently as they listened to everyone's noise inside the café.

"Now I have an idea, I'll just go and see Jeongguk. He will help me for sure," Taehyung said and stood. Bringing his bag with him. His friends looked up to him with questioning looks. "Hey, aren't you going to hang with us a bit more?" Namjoon asked.

"Not when y'all are going to leave after this. I'll be seeing Jeongguk. I'll meet you guys tomorrow," Taehyung said and immediately walked out of the cafeteria, leaving the three other boys whilst they continued to eat.

━━━

"You should've told me you're coming. I haven't cleaned the mess in my room yet," Jeongguk panicked as he gathered all of his art materials and placing them properly in their respective boxes. Since Taehyung wanted him to finish immediately, he helped him clean the room and fix his things.

"Did you finish your project already?" Taehyung asked him as he looked at the boy. Jeongguk didn't answer and took his work and place it atop his study table. "Not yet, but since you're already here, I should entertain the visitor first," Jeongguk replied as he sat on his bed, obviously he looked tired. Taehyung did the same after picking up the remaining objects on the floor.

"I could help you with that, just help me finish my essay," Taehyung said as he breathed for air, he did things hastily that's why he tired himself too.

"What about it?" The younger asked as he stared at Taehyung. He saw how sweat rolled down Taehyung's temple. Jeongguk then took out his handkerchief and offered it to Taehyung.

"Wipe my sweat for me, Jeongguk," Taehyung said rather alluringly. Jeongguk was flustered by Taehyung's request. When he's about to take it seriously, Taehyung held Jeongguk's handkerchief. "I'm only joking, Jeonggukie," Taehyung said as he laughed and begged for air at the same time. He then wiped his own face.

"What is the essay all about?" Jeongguk tried to change the topic as he's starting to feel his blood rush up his face. Taehyung took out a piece of parchment and placed it on top of the sheets. "Um, it's all about the upcoming school fair. The celebration of my university's foundation," Taehyung explained.

"Wait, what was the name of your university again?" Jeongguk asked as he was curious if what he's thinking was right. "It's Maple University. Didn't I tell you that?" Jeongguk's eyes went wide when he heard Taehyung's answer.

"No, and... I didn't know we enter the same school," Jeongguk almost whispered the last words. Taehyung was surprised too after what Jeongguk had told him.

"We do?" Taehyung asked once more just to be sure and Jeongguk nodded. "But I thought you're homeschooled?" Taehyung asked as he tilted his head at Jeongguk.

"I am, but I'm officially enrolled at Maple University. I often go there to take books from the library as my tutor asked. By the way, my tutor is a professor in Maple. He teaches a lot of subjects that's why he was the one who was sent to teach me. I requested that to my father," Jeongguk explained.

"You should've entered the normal classes. We might as well ended up classmates if you did," Taehyung said as he unknowingly shook Jeongguk's shoulder. Jeongguk chuckled at Taehyung's actions.

"Enough of the chit-chat, let's now focus on your essay," Jeongguk said and Taehyung nodded. An automatic feeling of comfort invaded Jeongguk's system as Taehyung leaned his head on his shoulder. He was hesitating at first but then he let Taehyung do what he wanted. As long as he feels comfortable, then he will let him do that.

He feels like Taehyung was a very valuable piece of the puzzle of his life. With him, he feels very complete. With him, he doesn't wish for any other things. As long as he's with him, other matters don't matter anymore.

After a few discussions and questions exchange they did, they finally finished the essay with the help of each other. Taehyung was obviously happy with the outcome.

"You have a marvelous talent in playing with words and creating such a wonderful essay, Jeongguk. Your future boyfriend will be very lucky to have you." There was a sudden pause. When Taehyung realized what he had just said, he immediately took back his words. "I mean, your future partner. I'm so sorry about that," Taehyung clarified and chuckled nervously.

Jeongguk smiled a little. Silence once again invaded the room and they both waited for each other to speak. "I do not mind having a boyfriend, though. Whatever gender of a person, as long as they're interested in me, I will entertain them," Jeongguk replied honestly. Taehyung's insides suddenly felt alive and his heart couldn't stop accelerating.

"Oh," Taehyung let out suddenly. Jeongguk suddenly became nervous about Taehyung's reaction. Oh my god, he doesn't look good. Does he hate me now that he found out I'm a weirdo? What am I gonna do? Those were the words that came up inside Jeongguk's head. He almost flinched when he heard Taehyung clearing his throat. "I... Um. That's great. I mean, this is why I like you, Jeongguk. You are honest to yourself," Because I am not and I am afraid. "You are a great man, Jeongguk. I am lucky to have you as a friend."

As a friend. That phrase echoed inside Jeongguk's head. He was bothered, and scared, he doesn't really know what to feel at the moment. Did he just confess his sexuality to Taehyung? And deciding to accept himself because that's how he felt?

He doesn't want to deny it anymore. Any period with Taehyung is worth spending. Jeongguk also thinks Taehyung is a great guy, to the point that sometimes he wanted to have him as "more than friends." But now that things were vivid after opening himself to Taehyung, and they are just friends, well then he guesses he'll just stay with him as long as he could.

Until he's ready to let go of his feelings.

His feelings? What exactly does he feel at the moment? Around Taehyung he's happy. Being with him, he's remained calm and safe. He feels butterflies in his stomach whenever he receives compliments from Taehyung. The way the older calls him darling just melts his heart. Somebody, please tell him.

Does this mean he's infatuated with the guy named Kim Taehyung?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469K 25.2K 51
A story where Jeon Jeongguk is passionate about becoming Kim Taehyung's friend. What he didn't know was that, Taehyung didn't really like talking to...
983K 38.6K 83
Ceo Jeon being a single dad who is not interested in a relationship meets the cute little..... It's a vkook ff *completed* The story contains: 🤬 s...
30.6K 1.2K 23
- please, I can't forget you - I heard that many times before goodbye Kim Taehyung rich, handsome as hell student who lacks nothing in his life, in...
469K 19.3K 58
❝[...], you seem to always find a way back onto my path.❞ What happens when two old friends and more precisely, two ex-lovers, meet again after thei...