Angel in the Courtyard [Book...

By ammorning

Sequel to Devil on the Rooftop! I highly recommend you tackle the first book before reading the synopsis in t... More

Prologue Part 1
Chapter 1 - Khaleel
Chapter 2 - Arisa
Chapter 3 - Khaleel
Chapter 4 - Arisa
Chapter 5 - Khaleel
Chapter 6 - Arisa
Chapter 7 - Khaleel
Chapter 8 - Arisa
Chapter 9 - Khaleel
Chapter 10 - Arisa
Chapter 11 - Khaleel
Chapter 12 - Arisa
Chapter 13 - Khaleel
Prologue Part 2
Chapter 14 - Tomasia
Chapter 15 - Arisa.
Chapter 16 - Khaleel
Chapter 17 - Tomasia
Chapter 18 - Arisa
Chapter 19 - Khaleel
Chapter 20 - Tomasia
Chapter 21 - Arisa
Chapter 22 - Khaleel
Chapter 23 - Tomasia
Chapter 24 - Arisa
Chapter 25 - Khaleel
Chapter 26 - Tomasia
Chapter 27 - Arisa
Chapter 28 - Khaleel
Chapter 29 - Tomasia
Chapter 30 - Arisa
Chapter 31 - Khaleel
Prologue - Part 3
Chapter 32 - Loyal
Chapter 33 - Tomasia
Chapter 34 - Arisa
Chapter 35 - Khaleel
Chapter 36 - Loyal
Chapter 37 - Tomasia
Chapter 38 - Arisa
Chapter 39 - Khaleel
Chapter 40 - Loyal
Chapter 41 - Tomasia
Chapter 42 - Arisa
Chapter 43 - Khaleel
Chapter 44 - Loyal
Chapter 45 - Tomasia
Chapter 46 - Arisa
Chapter 47 - Khaleel
Chapter 48 - Loyal
Chapter 49 - Tomasia
Chapter 50 - Arisa
Chapter 51 - Khaleel
Chapter 52 - Loyal
Chapter 53 - Tomasia
Chapter 54 - Arisa
Chapter 55 - Khaleel
Chapter 56 - Loyal
Chapter 57 - Tomasia
Chapter 58 - Arisa
Chapter 59 -Khaleel
Chapter 60 - Loyal
Chapter 61 - Tomasia
Chapter 62 - Arisa
Chapter 63 - Khaleel
Chapter 64 - Loyal
Chapter 65 -Tomasia
Chapter 66 - Arisa
Chapter 67 - Khaleel
Chapter 68 - Loyal
Chapter 69 - Tomasia
Chapter 70 - Arisa
Chapter 71 - Khaleel.
Chapter 72 - Loyal
Chapter 74 - Arisa
Chapter 75 - Khaleel
Chapter 76 - Loyal
Chapter 77 - Tomasia
Chapter 78 - Khaleel
Chapter 79 - Arisa
Chapter 80 - Loyal
Chapter 81 - Tomasia
Chapter 82 - Arisa
Chapter 83 - Khaleel
Chapter 84 - Loyal..
Chapter 85 - Tomasia
Chapter 86 - Arisa
Chapter 87 - Khaleel
Chapter 88 - Loyal
Chapter 89 - Tomasia
Chapter 90 - Arisa
Chapter 91 - Khaleel
Chapter 92 - Loyal
Chapter 93 - Tomasia
Chapter 94 - Arisa
Chapter 95 - Khaleel
Chapter 96 - Loyal
Chapter 97 - Tomasia
Chapter 98 - Arisa
Chapter 99 - Khaleel
Chapter 100 - Loyal
Chapter 101 - Tomasia
Chapter 102 - Arisa
Chapter 103 - Khaleel
Chapter 104 - Loyal
Chapter 105 - Tomasia
Chapter 106 - Arisa
Chapter 107 - Khaleel
Chapter 108 - Loyal
Chapter 109 - Tomasia
Chapter 110 - Arisa
Chapter 111 - Khaleel
Chapter 112 - Arisa
Chapter 113 (Special) - Khaleel
Epilogue 1 - Tomasia
Epilogue 2 - Loyal

Chapter 73 - Tomasia

274 11 0
By ammorning

I first met Wade Cainan in elementary school, in a classroom during lunchtime. I had a slight fever but I was determined to get through the day without letting anybody know it. I sat in my seat and hung my head over my peanut butter and jelly sandwich, hoping the sweet smell of strawberry would keep me awake. I hadn't touched my milk carton and I didn't have the motivation to break the seal to my cracker sticks and cheese dip.

I could hear the subtle banter between a couple of my classmates. I could hear George, the class hamster running tirelessly on his wheel. I could make out the sound of chalk tapping against the chalkboard, as my teacher Ms. Arnette wrote lessons on it. It was all vivid and loud until it wasn't anymore.

I got a hold of my throbbing head. "Hey," someone said. "What's wrong with you?"

I couldn't reply to him. I was too busy trying to keep my body upright.

"Hey," the voice persisted. "Did you eat something bad?"

I shook my head hoping it would be enough to shoo him away. I couldn't afford to get sick. I couldn't afford to let my grades drop. This was nothing. It was fine. Everything was going to be okay if I just kept--

A pair of cold hands got a hold of my face and forced me to look up. "You don't look so good," the boy diagnosed. His golden uneven locks fell to the side of his round face. I assumed a bad haircut was the cause but I had no energy to question it.

His lashes were long and his bright eyes whimsical. I somehow found comfort in them and forced myself to smile.  "I'm okay," I told him.

"You're not."

"I am."

"But you're not."

"But I said I am."

"Teacher," the boy called, taking his hands back.

Ms. Arnette stopped writing on the board and looked over her shoulder. "Yes, Wade?" she asked.

"This girl is sick," he pointed at me.

I dropped my head again as everyone in class began to stare at me. I didn't like it one bit. I didn't enjoy being the center of attention, not for things like this. "I said I'm fine," I replied, as loudly as I could. My voice dropped immediately after. "Just fine."

Ms. Arnette put the chalk down, wiped her fingers with a cloth, and walked over to assess the situation for herself. "You're burning up, Tomasia," she gasped, checking my temperature with the back of her hand. "Come on, let's get you to the nurse's office."

"I don't need to go," I replied.

Ms. Arnette dropped to meet my unsteady gaze. I admired her full black hair and dark complexion before turning away, embarrassed. "Please don't tell my parents," I said under my breath. "I don't want them to worry."

"It's normal for parents to worry, Tomasia," Ms. Arnette explained. "If your fever gets worse then your mom and dad's worries will double. Is that what you want?"

I shook my head. Ms. Arnette wiggled her fingers, and encouraged me to accept her hand. As soon as I did, she took me away from the prying eyes of my fellow classmates, and from the boy who never learned to mind his own business. Ms. Arnette on the other hand, learned the hard way that my parents weren't the 'dotting' type. Hearing about my fever didn't phase either of them. They offered to have a car pick me up, and assured my teacher one of the caretakers at home would look after me.

If I was being honest, that nosy little boy was my first real friend, and probably my last. I was sad when he said he couldn't stay by my side anymore. I was devastated when he said he didn't like me or my selfish brother. I didn't understand what we did to repel him. I couldn't comprehend mine or Loyal's mistakes. It wasn't until I met Zander, that I allowed myself to trust others again.

My mind drifted back to focus on the friend request Wade Cainan sent me. I couldn't tell you how long I had been sitting on the floor of my bedroom. Maybe twenty minutes? Maybe an hour? I lost track. My eyes flashed to the window. The sun was going to set soon, and when it did, none of it would matter. I would be able to asleep and force all my worries deep into my subconscious.

Ding.

I looked down at my phone and saw a message from my childhood friend. 'It's been too many years. How are you?'

Tears filled my eyes. Fine, I wanted to reply. It has been many years since we last spoke but I'm still that same pathetic little girl you used to know. I'm still desperately trying to gain my parents' approval at the expense of my own mental and physical health. I'm still pretending to be okay when I'm hurting inside. Nothing has changed. Not a single thing, Wade. So, this girl that you're messaging isn't worth getting in touch with. She isn't worth rekindling anything with because all you will find at the end of this conversation is a broken soul.

'So nice to connect with you," I typed, sniffling. 'Thanks for the add. I hope you're well.'

He read it right away. 'To be honest, this app has been recommending that I add you for a while now but I couldn't pull the trigger.'

'Why not?'

'Because of what I did all those years ago. Because of what I said. I think I left you when you needed me the most.'

The bedroom window opened and Zander Easton climbed over. My eyes widened and my heart jolted.
My head throbbed harder than it ever had and my vision blurred from the tears. I was dreaming. This was a dream. He wasn't really there. He couldn't be. I was hallucinating. I was going insane.

And yet, as he walked over and knelt down to wipe my cheeks, all I could do was drop my phone and leap into arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9M 651K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
355K 1.6K 12
This is for y'all horny buddies. If Josh ever finds this I'm done.
3.2K 99 6
THE LYING SERIES - BOOK ONE ! Kai has always had trouble. To her abusive parents to her classmates. It only gets worst as she goes through her high s...
4.1M 87.4K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...