Chapter 3 - Explain Yourself

9:43 PM

Lin POV

"Anthony, why the hell would you tell them we didn't need an ambulance anymore? Pippa might die if she doesn't get help fast!" Jazzy yells angrily at Anthony.

"I don't know, Jaz." Anthony mumbles. "I thought Lin was over exaggerating, but I guess I was wrong."

"I'll call back unless we can get her to the car," Jazzy says, trying to see if Pippa is well enough to be picked up.

"The woman on the phone said to not pick her up, but I think we should. Another ambulance might not get here in time." I say, gently trying to pick her up. "Can someone help, please?"

"Sure, sorry Lin." Renèe takes a new towel and holds it on Pippa's head, handing the old one to Jazzy, who throws that one in the sink like the other one. Suddenly, Pippa starts to squirm, almost as if she's starting to gain consciousness.

"Ow.." Pippa whines, slowly moving her hand up to rub her head. She blinks a few times, adjusting to the light of the room.

"Oh Pips, thank god you're awake." I smile at her. "It's going to be okay. Just try not to move. Jazzy, Anthony, and I are going to pick you up, okay?" I say, trying to keep my voice steady, so I don't scare her. All she can do is nod.

Altogether, we slowly and gently pick her up, being very careful so we don't hurt her anymore. Once we got her up from the floor, I pick her up bridal-style and Renèe stays by my side, holding the towel to her head. The bleeding is starting to stop, which is good. Every so often, I see Pippa wince. I feel so bad for her. If only I had gone up to her apartment with her, this wouldn't have happened.

I want to keep her mind off of the pain, so I start to ask her questions.

"Hey, Pippa, do you know what happened?" I ask her as we all walk to the elevator. Jazzy presses the '0' button that goes to the parking lot.

She looks up at me and says, "I walked in and I called his name." I look down at her as the doors to the elevator close and it brings us down. I can tell she's getting upset just thinking about it.

"Pips, we don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to," I tell her.

"No, it's fine." She replies quietly, continuing her story. "He came from the bedroom and he asked me where I had been. I said that I had a show and he knew that. Then, he tried to give me a hug and called me his 'baby girl'." She says this last part using air quotes, and I laugh. She expresses no emotion on her face, so I stop laughing, realizing she wants to continue.

The elevator doors open and we all walk out of the elevator, Renèe still walking by my side. When we get to my car, I realize that I left it unlocked.

"Dude, your car is unlocked," Anthony states, opening the door to the back seat.

"Yeah, I know." I put Pippa in the backseat, and Renèe sits beside her, holding the towel to her head. I shut the door, and Anthony hops in the backseat from the other side, while Jazzy gets into the passenger seat. I turn my car keys, which are still in the ignition, and start the car. As we drive, Pippa continues talking.

"Anyway, I got really mad, and I.. punched him." I can tell she is smiling when she says this.

"Since when was my 'sister' a fighter?" Jazzy laughs, looking back at Pippa. She frowns a little bit before saying, "Oh Pips, your eye, and your nose...they're starting to bruise. Speaking of the bruises, how'd you even get them?"

Everyone in the car except me looks at Pippa.

"Well, that's what I was about to say. Steven got mad that I punched him. So h-he-" She stops suddenly, bursting into tears.

"Shh, it's ok," Renèe tries to calm her down, wiping the tears off her face, which at this point was a mess. "What did Steven do?"

"He p-punched me..." Pippa stutters.

"Oh come on! When I see Steven, he's gonna get beat up for that." Jazzy rants.

I gave Jazzy a 'now is not a good time' look, and she frowns.

For the rest of the drive, everyone is silent.

***

The second we get into the hospital, we are flooded by nurses.

"What happened to her?" A nurse asks, frantically trying to get Pippa onto a hospital bed.

"Her fiance. He punched her." I explain, holding Pippa's hand the whole time.

"Oh my god!" The nurse yells in concern, starting to move the bed. "I'm sorry Mr. Miranda, but I'm going to have to ask you and your friends to stay here."

I sigh. "Ok, sure. Just one last thing before she goes." I look down at Pippa, who looks right into my eyes. It seems as though she's searching me, trying to find a way to go back in time.

Vanessa's gonna kill me if she finds out what I'm about to do, but I only care about Pippa right now. I think to myself.

I bend down so I'm right at the perfect level for Pippa.

"Everything's gonna be ok, I promise," I say as I squeeze her hand. I bring my hand to her cheek and caress her lightly. I give her a light kiss on the cheek so the doctors can take her away. I immediately turn around so no one sees how bright red I am. After a few moments, I stand up.

"Bye Pips." I whisper to her. She smiles at me.

The only thing we can do is watch as the nurses push Pippa further and further away from us.

thank you for the continued amount of support you have given us! another chapter will be up later today or tomorrow depending on if i feel like it :)

- sincerely, jenna and alyssa