Chapter 35 - Pippa's Problems

"Is everything okay, love?"

Lin turns to me and says, "You know, Pip, you make a good mom," I nod hesitantly, unable to see where he is headed with this. Did I do something wrong? "I know Seb isn't your own son, but he loves you more than anything. Maybe even more than me," He teases with a wink.

I laugh a bit and Sebby turns away from the window to face us instead. He comes over and wraps his arms around my leg tightly, which makes Lin laugh. He gives me a knowing look that says, 'I told you so.' I look down at Sebby, a smile appearing on my face.

While he hugs my leg, a memory comes to mind, and a sad one at that. I feel tears start to form in my eyes and I try to blink them back, but fail. C'mon Pips, pull yourself together. A single tear falls onto Sebby's head, and I know Lin notices when he lifts my chin with his finger.

"Pip, you okay?" He asks gently, pulling Sebby off of me and picking him up. I shake my head, looking down at the carpeted floor, and wander towards the window. "Pippa," He sighs.

I peer out the window for a few moments. The snow is steadily falling now, just like it had only a year prior.

"Pippa, are you ready yet? You've been in there for like 30 minutes. We're only going snowboarding!" Steven's voice says from outside the door of our hotel room bathroom.

I open the door with a smile, emerging wearing light blue snow pants and a white jacket over them. "I'm ready now!"

"You look beautiful as always, honey," Steven smiles, kissing me. I blush and kiss him back. "I can't wait to marry you."

"I can't wait to marry you, too."

"Phillipa, you have to talk to me, love. What's going on in the beautiful head of yours that's making you so upset?" Lin's voice says to me from my left. I hadn't even realized that I had burst into tears and was leaning against Lin, who was now standing beside me and rubbing my back comfortingly. Sebastian is no longer in Lin's arms, sitting on the corner of the bed, watching us with patient eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, Lin," I managed to stutter out.

He pulls me into a hug and squeezes me lightly. "It's okay, Pips. Take your time. Just relax," He whispers softly.

I take a few deep breaths to calm myself down enough so that I can speak without stuttering. I pull away from Lin a bit, just enough so that I can make eye contact with him. "Steven and I came here about a year ago, before our wedding. Just like we are now."

I notice Seb's head tilt to the side in confusion at the mention of Steven's name. I realize that he probably has no idea who Steven is, having never met or seen him before.

I push away my thoughts and turn away to stare out the window again. Lin kisses my temple and says, "I'm so sorry, Pips. We didn't have to come here, I just thought it would be good to get away from the city that never sleeps, just like us, for a few days."

"Lin, it's okay. Seriously," I lock eyes with him again. "This is one of my favorite places besides Brooklyn, of course."

"If you say so," Lin places a comforting hand on my shoulder. "How about we have some lunch then go hit the slopes for a few hours? Then we can finish off the day with a nice dinner."

I happily nod, wiping my tears away, my mind drifting from the sadness. There's no point in me trying to keep a hold on my past. It's officially time to move on.

***

Lin's POV

Soon, it was the end of the day and time for the three of us to go to bed.