Chapter 9 - Runaway Pippa

Pippa POV

5:48 PM

I hurriedly walk back to the dressing room before Renée can get a chance to catch up with me. I walk in, quickly grabbing my phone from the couch.

"Oh, Pips, hi," Lin hesitates, struggling to find the right words. I grab my bag and swiftly escape before Lin can say anything more.

Instead of going home, I find myself walking to the nearest bar, which just so happens to be around the corner from the theatre. When I walk in, I'm immediately surprised by how crowded it is, considering how early it is. I don't drink very often, let alone go to bars, so this was a new environment for me. The bar is dark, despite having some light from the overhead lighting above.

I walk up to the bartender and sit down on one of the few empty stools. The bartender seems to be working on another drink for a man, seated on a barstool not too far away from mine.

When he's done with the man's drink, he comes over to me, and I say, "Hi, can I get six shots of vodka?"

"Of course, coming right up." The bartender smiles reluctantly, before he heads over to the other side of the bar to prepare what I had asked for.

"Thank you," I smile. In all honesty, I had no idea what I had ordered, but I went with it because I had heard my friends order it before. Six shots of vodka wouldn't get me too drunk, right?

"Here are your drinks ma'am," The bartender places the vodka shots in front of me. I nod in thanks and hand him the money I had pulled out of my purse. A few seconds after I drink one of the six shots, I start to feel drowsy. I let out a sigh and think, Just do it. It'll make you feel better.

I quickly down the remainder of the shots. Suddenly, a hand rests on my shoulder. Unlike Renée's gentle hand, this one feels different. I'm not quite sure how different, but all I know is that I don't like it.

The only problem is that I'm too drunk to realize.

All of a sudden, I get turned around by the hand, and I'm face-to-face with a man, probably aged around 25 or 30. He stares down at me, his eyes glassy. He looks even more drunk than I am.

"Hey darling, you look like someone I would want to be with right now," His words slur heavily as he takes my hand and pulls me up from my seat. Before I realize what's happening, he's kissing me, very passionately.

He pushes me up against the cold brick wall, still kissing me. His tongue pushes against my lips, as if begging for entry. I feel as though I have no control over my body, and I have no choice but to let him in.

 ***

Lin POV

6:03 PM

After Pippa leaves in a rush, I see Renée quietly enter the dressing room, with her head facing the ground. Pippa clearly made her upset, but why?

"Renée, what was that all about? I've never seen Pippa leave in such a rush before." I ask, slightly concerned.

"I'm not really sure. I was trying to talk to her about how losing a loved one is hard, and then she said that if she disappeared, no one would notice. I told her that wasn't true, but she stormed away..." Renée trails off, as if she had a realization. "Do you think she wants to disappear?"

"Well, if she said that to you, then maybe!" I yell, my voice laced with anger.

"Lin, d-do you think she went to..a-a bar..? Like to get drunk, and..." Once again, Renée trails off. She sounds extremely worried. She runs a hand through her long, slightly wavy hair.