𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟔: 𝐏𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐬

˚✩ ⋆。˚  ✩

 ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩

Angelica kept sighing from the moment she passed Hagrid's hut. As she stepped over the tree roots and bent to save her face from the bats flying past and threaded carefully pass the centaurs, she sighed.

When she finally reached the place, she sighed once more at the sight of the old man dressed in pale blue robes and a matching hat piece. His back was turned to her, and she had half the mind to whip her wand out and hex him, but rather than feeding into her intrusive thoughts, she just sighed again and walked forward up to reach him. 

"Good evening, Professor," she greeted. 

"Aren't they beautiful, Miss Lestrange?" he said in response. 

Angelica looked forward at where a dozen winged horses with skeletal bodies and wide, membranous wings roamed around, eating apples from buckets left out to them. 

"You can see them too?" she asked, reaching up and stroking the one closest to her. "Whose death have you witnessed?" 

"Too many to count," answered Dumbledore. "They're beautiful, are they not?" 

Angelica thought they might have grown on her, but their disturbing, grim appearance had her shrugging. "I think they're incredibly ugly. But beauty is just a perception."

"Well said, well said." Albus Dumbledore finally turned around and settled his gaze on Angelica. "You look well rested. Did you have a good holiday?" 

"I got disowned, Sir. It was as good as it could have gotten."

"Ah, yes. I've heard about that. How are you feeling?" 

The question made her stomach drop, but she forced out a smile. "Wonderful." 

"That's great." He faced the thestrals again and said, "I hear information about my organization has reached your master." 

Angelica stilled. Before, her interactions with the Dark Lord affected her solely. Now that Rabastan and Regulus were involved, she couldn't afford to make careless decisions. 

"Has it?" she questioned.

Dumbledore laughed. "I'm aware you have been given instructions to infiltrate it." 

"Are you going to expel me?" asked Angelica. "Turn me into the ministry?" As the wizard looked at her, she pressed her lips together. "Kill me?" 

Dumbledore shook his head. "None of the above, I'm afraid. I am thrilled that Tom has been made aware that there are people who are fighting against him. I hope he knows we will not sit quietly and let him ruin the wizarding world." 

Angelica gulped. Thinking callously about the Dark Lord by herself was already a matter worth earning punishment for; discussing him with Albus Dumbledore would get someone killed and she knew the someone would not be her.